Software Support > GroovyMAME

Radeon 4890, able to use only one display, help.

(1/2) > >>

Hammerfist:
Any ideas how to resolve this problem (below), so that I can get both monitors showing a separate picture, arcade monitor as primary? Also, I remember reading one of Calamitys comments saying, that the new 1.3b OSD can control different monitors separately? So I should be able to send my arc monitor the proper Hz while my non arc monitor shows VGA resolution? If this is not possible, then we can forget this problem, since this is the only reason I'm trying to get them both working at the same time :)

I'm currently trying to get both of my displays to work with Sapphire Radeon 4890, which has DVI, VGA, HDMI and displayport (yup..). While I'm still searching to confirm that the card supports dual display setup using the VGA and DVI simultaneously, I don't think that that is the problem. From device manager I can see, that only one adapter is present, where my old comp showed two, but my current comp also shows only one, even though it can use two displays..so I guess that takes that away from the table.

I have succesfully installed calamity drivers and everything is working fine with my arcade monitor. The arcade monitor is attached to the dvi-port with a dvi->vga adapter and from there it goes to J-pac. I even tried connecting the arc monitor straight to the vga connector, but only got a black screen. I then attached the second non arcade monitor to the vga port and reconnected the arc monitor as before (dvi) and after reboot, I only get picture on the non arcade monitor (when otherwise the picture would be in the arc monitor).

Thanks for the help!

Hammerfist:
Just did one test, where arcade monitor is attached as before (dvi with vga adapter) and the second monitor is attached to the vga-out. I can now see the second display greyed out in display properties (and catalyst center). When I try to enable it, the second display flickers, but then goes back to the previous state (greyed out second display).

I guess I should have mentioned, that the second monitor is ran trough a PC-to-VGA adapter, which transfers the image to composite out :).

Calamity:
Hi Hammerfist,

Arcade monitors are not detected by the video card, so the only chance to get a picture on them is using the one output that stays on when no monitor is detected. This one is the primary DVI for the HD 4xxx family.

On the other hand, a PC monitor does always get detected, so when booting with both of them attached, only the PC monitor on the VGA is detected now, so the DVI is disconnected.

One possibility would be to boot with only the arcade monitor attached to the DVI. Then, once in Windows, attach the PC monitor and try to enable it from display/properties. This way, we would bypass the monitor detection process that happens on boot, but involves to manually connect the monitor each session, not very convenient. I haven't tested this so it could just not work at all.

Another option is to manually disable the monitor detection process, you need to tweak the registry for this:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,116790.msg1237609.html#msg1237609

Hammerfist:
Hi Calamity. Thanks for the fast reply!

Yeah, ok, that makes perfect sense. I tried to connect the display after the pc had booted to windows, but to no avail. I'll look in to the registry tweak. Thanks! :)

Hammerfist:
I tried to get this working with the dalrule, but no luck. I only managed to get the picture out either from the vga (to composite) or the dvi (to J-Pac). Every time I inserted the vga cable to the connector, it changed it to primary (after reboot), even with the dalrule turned on. Trying to activate the second display only does the same thing as before (doesn't turn on).

Any other ideas?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version