Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: *SOLVED* neo geo bios is not working and disappearing games? (MAME) *SOLVED*  (Read 15990 times)

loganm187

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2012, 12:02:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I put the neo geo bios file still zipped in the rom folder and yet every time I go to play a Neo geo game(also it's only listing like 5 from the 180 games I have in the folder that are tested and working) it says I'm missing the required ROM or CHD images(Neo geo games don't have CHD's, right?.) Another strange thing. When i put any of the neo geo games in the rom folder it makes all my other non neo geo games unlisted in the game selection. If I remove the neo geo games from the folder the other none neo geo games appear again and are playable. (alien vs predator, Killer Instinct, etc.)  How do you guys get all this MAME stuff set up? It's just problem after problem and I follow this tutorials word for word. How can i mess up "place file in rom folder" and whats up with the neo geo roms making my other games disappear?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 04:48:10 am by loganm187 »

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: neo geo bios is not working and disappearing games? (MAME)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 10:17:00 am »
Well, it took me a while and a lot of bad words to finally solve it.
The key to success is all about finding the same version of MAME, BIOS and game ROM. But that could be quite tricky since some resources out there are everything but clear about versions handling etc.

Not really sure I understand the other problem you have, so I'll leave that to others to comment.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

thaddeussmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2017, 11:49:51 am
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 11:27:25 am »
not sure you'll get much commentary. the process you discovered is sort of the initiation ritual for MAME'ing, which seems to be the status quo for the "community" (not just this board) .. "figure it out for yourself. if you can't, you don't deserve to know". That attitude is OK, as long as the resources exist to do so. In diving into this a few months ago, I found endless amounts of  dead links, forum posts with old or entirely bad information, 45 page threads with the answer buried somewhere in the middle, etc.

welcome to the club.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 01:16:19 pm »
The reason you're not getting responses is that it sounds like you have a problem that involves a lot of information you haven't mentioned.

You say the roms dissappear. 
Disappear from where?
The front-end you didn't mention (Mala, Mamewah, HyperSpin)?
The user interface version of MAME (such as mameui, mame32, mame+) that you're using instead of the real MAME?

Newbs have a habit of referring to anything and everything MAME.
If you're picking out games from a list that has pictures & stuff, that isn't MAME. 
It launches MAME when you choose the game, but it's a separate program.
Often newbs will come in saying they have a problem with MAME when the problem is with their front-end...and fail to mention that they are using a front-end.

You say the roms are tested and working, but MAME says you're missing stuff? Which is it? When do they work?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:27:47 pm by BadMouth »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 02:28:42 pm »
not sure you'll get much commentary. the process you discovered is sort of the initiation ritual for MAME'ing, which seems to be the status quo for the "community" (not just this board) .. "figure it out for yourself. if you can't, you don't deserve to know". That attitude is OK, as long as the resources exist to do so. In diving into this a few months ago, I found endless amounts of  dead links, forum posts with old or entirely bad information, 45 page threads with the answer buried somewhere in the middle, etc.

welcome to the club.

You didn't look very well then, because information in regards to why neogeo games and games with bios files don't work is right in the mame faq, on the official mame homepage, which is the FIRST place you should look in regards to game-specific problems. 

What BadMouth said is correct as to why there haven't been any responses, but then again, it is a rather uncomplicated thing to get working. 

thaddeussmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2017, 11:49:51 am
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 04:26:50 pm »

welcome to the club.

You didn't look very well then, because information in regards to why neogeo games and games with bios files don't work is right in the mame faq, on the official mame homepage, which is the FIRST place you should look in regards to game-specific problems. 

What BadMouth said is correct as to why there haven't been any responses, but then again, it is a rather uncomplicated thing to get working.

i wasnt being specific to the neo geo bios. the MAME ecosystem is very elitist towards n00bs and full of old/dead/conflicting information.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 09:55:09 pm »

welcome to the club.

i wasnt being specific to the neo geo bios. the MAME ecosystem is very elitist towards n00bs and full of old/dead/conflicting information.

It really isn't.  I've yet to meet anyone, in this forum in particular, that isn't willing to help out.... we just expect the user to do some of the legwork themselves.  The know the old addage about teaching a man to fish rather than giving him one. 

loganm187

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 15, 2012, 12:02:42 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 04:40:53 am »
Finally got it working. Got a whole new version of mame, roms, Chd's etc. Thanks guys!