Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Slim cab project - unnamed (for now)  (Read 2236 times)

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Slim cab project - unnamed (for now)
« on: October 09, 2012, 02:01:13 pm »
Hey all - Got the bug again, as they say, and so here goes!!  The last cab I build had rotating panels, genuine tron controls, huge trackball, dreamcast, the late WG D9200  :'(   This one will be a bit simpler to build but more advanced with software and LEDs.

I have been perusing the projects here, and I found the Terminus project just so perfect in size and especially depth for my place...what a great design out of TONS of great cabinets people have been building.  Thanks to Mark for putting all that work into the plans and build.

I spent the longest on what kind of theme I want.... I plan on keeping the arcade under my covered screen room in the nice parts of the year and when it gets humid come June I'll bring it inside.  So it's gotta work inside and outside. Don't worry it won't get rained on!

Most of my friends are my age (late 30s) and we all remember:

I thought I"d do a 70s theme! Other design touches from back in the day were retro rainbows, and I used Adobe Kuler site  (of course it's down right now) for color schemes. 

Main hardware:
  • GGG ICE-T trackball
  • GGG Ice2 buttons
  • GGG Spinner
  • Ultimarc servostiks
  • GGG LED whiz's
  • Ulimarc Ipac2
  • Somewhat beefy PC custom build
  • Samsung S27B350H 27" LED Monitor

I plan on trying hyperspin and a few other front ends to find what I like best.  LED blinky most likely, too.  I got an xbox adapter for the Ipac, I might throw that guy in at some point :)  Right now I'm focused on the cabinet, the hardware and the huge mess I'm making in my patio since I don't have a workshop or garage.

Cabinet I plan on using 3/4" hardwood finished naturally on the sides..maybe a light stain and some urethane or lacquer.  Inside sides will be black (probably), black leather-look t-molding, smoked glass covering the 27" monitor.    That monitor is really thin, and has a special setting that optimizes viewing angles, too.  I want to try the HLSL settings in Mame that make it look old-school!  Back, front and insides will be black.

I had the artwork printed by GameonGrafix.com - really excellent work!  I plan on using them for the marquee and some minimal sideart, as well. I'll probably do a variation on the slanted color lines/rainbow on the sides.  Haven't designed the marquee yet.  I may just call this thing 'Arcade'  ;D

Not a lot of pics so far but here are some of the panel and artwork.  I decided to top-mount everything, and hide as much as possible.  Really love that trackball mounting plate! Lots of routing to get everything to be flush.  Ended up using something called "PolyWall" from lowes to adhere the artwork to and just laid that on top of panel.  Very thin, very sturdy. 

I'll update with more pictures as it goes!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:06:23 pm by Frostillicus »

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
Re: Slim cab project - unnamed (for now)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:02:08 pm »
Some more pictures of the build so far -
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 02:03:48 pm by Frostillicus »

steveh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 09:33:42 am
    • thecrazysteve.com
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 03:53:24 pm »
i like that CP art. I think thats the style i need to build my theme in.  Im curious to see how this one comes out.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:02:44 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 09:24:57 am »
Frosty's alive?   :o

Rick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:04:20 pm »
Frosty's alive?   :o

Geez, is everybody making a triumphant return?

:D