Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Older Mame binary for Puppy Linux/Arcade?  (Read 3888 times)

johncl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2012, 10:08:00 am
Older Mame binary for Puppy Linux/Arcade?
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »
So I have finally been able to boot puppy arcade on my old Via Epia CN13000, but running e.g. Donkey Kong on hardly gets me 50% speed. :( - I am using the vesa drivers btw, although I saw you can switch to xorg ones, anyone know if that would improve performance?

Anyway, according to others they are running mame fine in winxp on an even older Epia 5000 - and I think I read somewhere that the latter mame builds just require more powerful machines to run smoothly, even on the older games like Donkey Kong (I am only going to run these early games on it). So to make a long question shorter, is there a binary I can download of an older build that would be faster for e.g. Donkey Kong?

I am very new to Linux so I dont really know how to navigate this world, but I really dont want to go the WinXP route on this.

Ofc the best thing for me would be to be able to boot directly into Mame on the linux machine, but the only distros I have found that does that is AdvanceCD which sadly doesnt support the Via Unichrome chipset (although AdvanceMame DOS seems to do that - but again I have been unable to run that successfully in FreeDos). Perhaps there is an AdvanceMame with a linux boot that does support Unichrome?

johncl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2012, 10:08:00 am
Re: Older Mame binary for Puppy Linux/Arcade?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 10:22:03 am »
I was finally able to boot into FreeDos and start Dos for Mame v0.90b fine running DonkeyKong at 100% YAY! :)

Now the next challenge is to get sound. I have searched high and low and it seems my Via Epia CN13000 is just "new enough" for Via to have dropped the built in Soundblaster emulation they had on previous southbridges. At least I have not been successful finding AC97 drivers that work in DOS for the chipset on this board. :(

So it seems my only option is to kit this with an old Soundblaster card (the board has a PCI slot fortunately) and use a real SB dos driver.

I am beginning to think I should rather go with an nLited version of XP considering all the hassle getting stuff to run. From what I hear people do run an earlier build of mame in winxp just fine on the Via Epia boards. I just love the exceptionally fast boot I have to FreeDos and Mame, even from a USB stick - which greatly simplifies the system as well. With XP I have to install to a HD or perhaps a CF in a CF-Sata adapter.

krisbee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2015, 04:55:07 pm
Re: Older Mame binary for Puppy Linux/Arcade?
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 08:32:24 am »
Sorry for such an old reply, but you can always just build your own binary by compiling - doesn't take much work, and if you use linux, you are probably use to some compiling.  It is what I did for my old version of xmame which I use in my cab.