Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Banana Royale (Pac Man Battle Royale Redesign Contest)  (Read 184937 times)

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:50:12 am
Re: Banana Royale (Pac Man Battle Royale Redesign Contest)
« Reply #200 on: March 12, 2014, 07:03:50 am »
Small update, some bug fixes, some adjustments on the AI and some new levels (thanks, nevinskima).

Download here

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #201 on: March 12, 2014, 10:54:14 am »
Sjaak, could you shoot me an e-mail at pinballjim at hotmail dot com

:cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #202 on: March 12, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
The 3 and 4 releases aren't working for me.  I've restarted three times and held my breath and everything when trying to execute but get a "this program has stopped working" screen.  Attached are the sprites for the ghosts - should be complete if somebody wants to try them out, I've no idea how they look. 

Also attached are all the other sprites hacked up but unlabeled as I don't want to go through everything without a working copy I can check along the way.  I hadn't done any scared versions of the small characters so you can duplicate the normal versions if you want for right now, again, once I get it up and running I'll assess what's needed and add more sprite variations accordingly to match what sjaak has designed for. 

edit:  Reinstalled the dependencies - I think I might need to do a wipe on this computer - looking to be about that time.  NET framework kicked out some odd errors right at the end.  I'll fiddle with it later.  Looks like all the crap I've been doing trying to get weird FEs to run may have borked up my system.  Figures.  If I have to do a wipe it'll set me back another week or so and maybe then some because I'll have to find the time.  Meh. 

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:38:13 pm by Le Chuck »

nevinskima

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2014, 06:31:22 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #203 on: March 13, 2014, 08:30:20 am »
Le Chuck - if you've been playing with your sprites, see if there are any Thumbs.db files in your sprites folders.  They may be hidden files.  If there are, remove them and try to run the game again.  I found that as I played with the sprites, it often created this Thumbs.db file in every folder I was in.  Removing the files and launching the game again worked for me.

I assume the game parses the sprites folders looking for image files, and when it hits the Thumbs.db files, it throws an exception.

EDIT: Yes, I can see the thumbs.db files in your rar files.  Try removing these and running again, and hopefully you'll be good to go man!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:32:10 am by nevinskima »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #204 on: March 13, 2014, 09:03:36 am »
I fixed the problem with the thumbs.db files (any non .png file is now ignored). I also added some default sprites, which make the game "playable" without the need to add more sprites.

Download here

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #205 on: March 13, 2014, 09:52:57 pm »
Nevinskima - looks like you hit the nail on the head, good call

Sjaak - the defaults seem to be a bit wonky, I used my ghosts and one character's complete set (I didn't do white phase or purple phase so I just copied the same sprites over for a smoother look) but the game is inserting your default sprites all over the place.  The ghosts/my clowns when dead default to your clown and the characters flash the defaults fairly often even though I think I named them everything they should be in the sprites folder.  I tried deleting the default folder but that's crash city. 

Attached is one character's file so you can play with it and see what I'm talking about hopefully.  Also, the white on the ghosts I thought was for the eaten ghosts/dead clowns but it seems to be a flash phase instead which makes it look not so right.  If I'm off base on the naming convention let me know, or if I'm just missing sprites - either way.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 09:56:53 pm by Le Chuck »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #206 on: March 14, 2014, 05:16:34 am »
Nevinskima - looks like you hit the nail on the head, good call

Sjaak - the defaults seem to be a bit wonky, I used my ghosts and one character's complete set (I didn't do white phase or purple phase so I just copied the same sprites over for a smoother look) but the game is inserting your default sprites all over the place.  The ghosts/my clowns when dead default to your clown and the characters flash the defaults fairly often even though I think I named them everything they should be in the sprites folder.  I tried deleting the default folder but that's crash city. 

Attached is one character's file so you can play with it and see what I'm talking about hopefully.  Also, the white on the ghosts I thought was for the eaten ghosts/dead clowns but it seems to be a flash phase instead which makes it look not so right.  If I'm off base on the naming convention let me know, or if I'm just missing sprites - either way.  Thanks!

You're missing big0.png, bigwhite0.png, normal0.png, purple0.png and white0.png. That's why the default keeps flashing. For the ghosts you probably miss "eyes.png".

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #207 on: March 14, 2014, 08:07:27 am »
You're missing big0.png, bigwhite0.png, normal0.png, purple0.png and white0.png. That's why the default keeps flashing. For the ghosts you probably miss "eyes.png".

Yup  ;D  Thanks, I was tired last night.  I'll do better today  ;)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #208 on: March 14, 2014, 06:49:52 pm »
First sprite pack for Candy Nightmare is attached.  Unrar and place the ghosts and players folders into your Sprites folder of BananaRoyale4.

There are a dozen or so artifacts to clean up on the werewolf, Frankenstein monster, and Lucian - I'll get to those, they are a result of being a rch off when I split all the sprite apart and not seeing them due to their light color on the grey background in my browser.  Also, this pack doesn't flash between switches.  I kinda like that but if you want the flashes I can upload some flash sprites that you can drop in as "white0-4"/"bigwhite0-4" also, as mentioned earlier this doesn't have scared sprites for the normal characters.  I'm not planning on them but if somebody wants to tackle it I'll send you my source file so you aren't starting from scratch.  Hell, I'll get it posted once I clean everything up on this pack.

Anyway, TLDR, download the sprites and let me know how it works!

Sjaak - are you going to keep on developing the other version that uses the simple sprite sheet?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #209 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:34 pm »
Now with less crap!  I removed most of the artifacts, left with one on the wolf that I have to hunt down, wasn't showing up when I was doing a scrub so I'll have to take some better notes and make sure I get it cleaned up.  Add candy in place of fruit, looks pretty good. 

Sjaak - how about sound effects/music?  Also, when you select a top of screen player the clowns still rotate to that perspective (upside down) but the characters don't.  Ditto text rotation. 

Also attached is the current psd for Candy Nightmare - feel free to edit and play with accordingly.  If you use it elsewhere please credit some of the other open source artists I've credited earlier in this thread.  Thanks!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #210 on: March 15, 2014, 04:45:35 am »
Sjaak - are you going to keep on developing the other version that uses the simple sprite sheet?

No, that thing was a nightmare to support. The code was full of x, y coordinates that changed every time the layout changed.

There is however support for texturepacker built in, so you can create a sprite sheet and atlas using spritepacker and use that in the game. This also speeds up loading of the game. More on that later...

I'll take a look at the sprite rotation. I can probably make that configurable, so it doesn't interfere with the pac man sprites.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #211 on: March 15, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »

No, that thing was a nightmare to support. The code was full of x, y coordinates that changed every time the layout changed.

There is however support for texturepacker built in, so you can create a sprite sheet and atlas using spritepacker and use that in the game. This also speeds up loading of the game. More on that later...

I'll take a look at the sprite rotation. I can probably make that configurable, so it doesn't interfere with the pac man sprites.

Word to all  :cheers:  Look forward to future updates.  I'll fiddle with the sprite set some more later, I'll move onto other things for a few weeks for now or until your next feature rich version  :applaud:

Syco54645

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2023, 05:30:03 pm
« Reply #212 on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:20 pm »

Where are the pacman sprites? I am guessing that people are making those on their own. I looked through the thread and was unable to find them. About to go try this out. Keep up the great work!

Syco54645

• Offline Offline
« Reply #213 on: April 19, 2014, 11:00:36 pm »
double post deleted/

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #214 on: April 20, 2014, 09:07:12 am »
Where are the pacman sprites? I am guessing that people are making those on their own. I looked through the thread and was unable to find them. About to go try this out. Keep up the great work!

You are correct, there are no pac man sprites in this thread. I think the reason is obvious. Creating the sprites isn't too much work and you can also run the game with the default sprites.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #215 on: April 20, 2014, 10:48:09 am »

You are correct, there are no pac man sprites in this thread. I think the reason is obvious. Creating the sprites isn't too much work and you can also run the game with the default sprites.

Sjaak, is the current version skinnable/tileable for the background and do we have a version with sound yet?  I can't work on this right now but in a few weeks I can probably start fiddling with this again. 

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #216 on: April 20, 2014, 10:54:28 am »
Sjaak, is the current version skinnable/tileable for the background and do we have a version with sound yet?  I can't work on this right now but in a few weeks I can probably start fiddling with this again.

Yes, the background is skinnable and tileable. Tiles are in maze2.png (just don't modify the first 8 tiles) and levels can be created with tiled. No support yet for more than one tileset.

In the next version I will have support for sound. And I will also make the maze color shifting optional (so you can create a maze with your own colors).

Syco54645

• Offline Offline
« Reply #217 on: April 21, 2014, 10:13:54 am »

I figured as much. Posted that on my phone so hence the short and to the point nature of it. I will read through the thread to see how exactly to make them for the animation. Either way the fiance was super excited when I called her in to see the game running.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #218 on: April 30, 2014, 08:01:32 am »
Update: You can now disable the color shifting of the maze.

Download here

Draco_Elessar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2018, 12:40:02 pm
  • Way too curious for my own good.
« Reply #219 on: May 02, 2014, 01:56:05 pm »
Awesome game! Thanks for sharing it! When in full screen mode, is there a way to exit the game? I tried esc and Ctrl+Q with no luck.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #220 on: May 02, 2014, 01:57:33 pm »
Try alt+f4

Draco_Elessar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 05, 2018, 12:40:02 pm
  • Way too curious for my own good.
« Reply #221 on: May 02, 2014, 02:04:06 pm »
Try alt+f4

Thanks! :cheers:
Being in IT I should have thought of that... :banghead:

xefned

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2021, 01:28:30 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2014, 10:00:31 am »

:applaud:
Just found this thread today, and I'm really amazed by the initiative to make it happen, both hardware and software! (So few people can do both.)

I'm hoping I can add this to my side-by-side 2 player horizontal build for 2 players only. 
Keep up the great work!

I wonder if my six year old intel core duo will run it.

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

theonegoku

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2014, 09:59:42 pm
« Reply #223 on: July 21, 2014, 11:07:52 pm »
Its been a while since anything was updated here.  I talked with Sjaak a little today and it got me excited about this again, so I'll drop in with some progress, maybe get some people talking.  Thank you to all who put in the work for current design, I didn't see any progress on rendering the whites and purples in the sprites so I did a little, albeit tedious, work on the sprites.  Attached are the finished products, and the video is how is looks (excuse the lag due to the recording software).  The only thing I noticed was that the sprites almost immediately start flashing, I would prefer they go purple for 3 seconds and then start flashing with 2 left, just to let you know that the suffering is almost over.  I tried lengthening the sprites and mixing and matching, but to no avail, this might have to be an update done to the actual code when the sounds and other tidbits get updated.  If you have any questions, please let me know.  Thank you.

V/R

Theo

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2014, 03:00:15 am »
The only thing I noticed was that the sprites almost immediately start flashing, I would prefer they go purple for 3 seconds and then start flashing with 2 left, just to let you know that the suffering is almost over.  I tried lengthening the sprites and mixing and matching, but to no avail, this might have to be an update done to the actual code when the sounds and other tidbits get updated.

Yes, all the timing stuff is in the code. I will take a look at the blink time and fix it in the next version.

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #225 on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:48 pm »
Sjaak,

I just wanted to stop in and thank you for this. This is truly an amazing project. Tons of fun and I'm hoping to throw together a spritesheet or two for this, this coming fall.

No rush, just the curiosity side of me, any news on the new version? Getting itchy for sound haha.
Where's my gold star :P

dess

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2019, 08:18:52 pm
« Reply #226 on: August 30, 2014, 10:00:04 am »
Yes nice work !
is it possible to activate insert coin mode ?
and no sound ? just basic sound & we change file ?

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2017, 11:00:49 am
« Reply #227 on: October 08, 2014, 06:58:45 am »
hi i do that for my cabinet it's just a sprite sheet it's not finished

bye
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:36:07 pm by Benoit33 »

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #228 on: October 08, 2014, 04:37:32 pm »
i don't have sound, it's possible ?

thanks

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #229 on: October 08, 2014, 06:03:08 pm »
i don't have sound, it's possible ?

thanks

Custom sound doesn't work...yet

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #230 on: October 09, 2014, 07:24:03 am »
ok thanks for your reply. when was possible ? just for info

i try to make a level with your layer "level0" but th level don't work when i rename level1  ???

sorry for my english

update

« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:33:55 am by Benoit33 »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #231 on: October 09, 2014, 10:49:13 am »
ok thanks for your reply. when was possible ? just for info

i try to make a level with your layer "level0" but th level don't work when i rename level1  ???

sorry for my english

update

Make sure to read this post for level design. If you send me the level file, I will take a look.

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #232 on: October 09, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »
ok i send the level on your mail thancks

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: October 09, 2014, 01:30:46 pm »
i find my error,  no put 4 pills by variation

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
New version:

Added customizable sounds. Wav files need to be PCM encoded!!!!

beep.wav - simple beep, I've included this one for free :)

bump.wav - Sound when two players collide
fruit.wav - Sound when fruit appears
ghost_die.wav
player_die.wav
player_grow.wav
player_shrink.wav
player_move1.wav - Sound when player moves and eats a pill (alternates with 2)
player_move2.wav - Sound when player moves and eats a pill (alternates with 1)
woosh.wav - Sound when new pills/powerpill appear

Download here

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: October 10, 2014, 06:39:13 am »
error
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:59:56 am by Benoit33 »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
New version:

Added customizable sounds. Wav files need to be PCM encoded!!!!

beep.wav - simple beep, I've included this one for free :)

bump.wav - Sound when two players collide
fruit.wav - Sound when fruit appears
ghost_die.wav
player_die.wav
player_grow.wav
player_shrink.wav
player_move1.wav - Sound when player moves and eats a pill (alternates with 2)
player_move2.wav - Sound when player moves and eats a pill (alternates with 1)
woosh.wav - Sound when new pills/powerpill appear

Download here

Sweet. I'm gonna have to dig into this now.  :applaud:

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #237 on: October 10, 2014, 08:56:30 am »
LOL, so gonna have "---fudgesicle--- OFF!" when two players collide...

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2014, 01:32:51 pm »
hi

the game crash when the countdown is finish

can you get a intro music before each level please  ;D
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 05:04:49 pm by Benoit33 »

Benoit33

• Offline Offline
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2014, 12:47:52 pm »
hi... :-\