Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Banana Royale (Pac Man Battle Royale Redesign Contest)  (Read 184902 times)

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:50:12 am
Re: Banana Royale (Pac Man Battle Royale Redesign Contest)
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2014, 09:45:07 am »
Sjaak, what's the plan for boarders and music? 

Borders were included in the sample spritesheet. Music/sounds will be customizable in a next version.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:17:58 pm
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2014, 10:47:37 pm »
Man this is excellent... the potential fun with this project is just huge.  One question is it supposed to be closing out after 1 round or am I having issues?

Also, I'm almost done with a "Pac Family" skin for this.  It has Pac Man as p1, Ms Pac Man as p2, a boy Baby Pac as p3 and a girl Baby Pac as p4.  It uses the Ms Pac Man sprites for bonus items, ghosts, and death animations so if posting it is a problem I won't distribute it.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2014, 04:00:58 am »
Man this is excellent... the potential fun with this project is just huge.  One question is it supposed to be closing out after 1 round or am I having issues?

It only runs for about a minute. It's still a beta version.

Also, I'm almost done with a "Pac Family" skin for this.  It has Pac Man as p1, Ms Pac Man as p2, a boy Baby Pac as p3 and a girl Baby Pac as p4.  It uses the Ms Pac Man sprites for bonus items, ghosts, and death animations so if posting it is a problem I won't distribute it.

It's up to you if you want to post it, but I would advise against it. A screenshot of the game in action would probably be ok. I would love to see how Family Battle Royale looks.

meyer980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 24, 2024, 04:54:50 pm
  • Building fun things for fun
    • sergiostuff.com/2020/04/15/felix-son-arcade-game/
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2014, 11:40:14 am »
I'll admit, I'm a noob at making spritesheets. I can't seem to get it to show just one sprite at a time, or it cuts off part of the sprite. Do they each have to be an exact size? (Is that the 32x32 you mentioned?) Do they get placed edge to edge or should there be some space between them? I get that the numbers represent where things go, but is that the middle of where you put the sprite, the top, or something else?

These are all probably really dumb questions but I worked on this last night and this morning and just can't get it right. I tried using Le Chuck's as a base but even then no luck. Maybe I should just wait until someone uploads a completed one and modify that lol.

Oh, and awesome work Sjaak! The game looks so cool!

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2014, 01:53:30 pm »
I'll admit, I'm a noob at making spritesheets. I can't seem to get it to show just one sprite at a time, or it cuts off part of the sprite. Do they each have to be an exact size? (Is that the 32x32 you mentioned?) Do they get placed edge to edge or should there be some space between them? I get that the numbers represent where things go, but is that the middle of where you put the sprite, the top, or something else?

These are all probably really dumb questions but I worked on this last night and this morning and just can't get it right. I tried using Le Chuck's as a base but even then no luck. Maybe I should just wait until someone uploads a completed one and modify that lol.

In Photoshop you can turn on grids that are exactly 32 pixels between gridlines.  Easiest way would be to double click on your ruler (if ruler is not on, hit ctrl+r) then click on "Guides, Grids, and Slices" and set gridline to every 32 pixels.  If you want to make subdivisions within each 32x32 square you can, but setting that at 1 will work fine too.

So once again, we find that evil of the past seeps into the present like salad dressing through cheap wax paper, mixing memory and desire.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »

It only runs for about a minute. It's still a beta version.

It's up to you if you want to post it, but I would advise against it. A screenshot of the game in action would probably be ok. I would love to see how Family Battle Royale looks.

Thanks for the info... I'll post some screenshots when I get the skin up and running!  Thanks again for providing such a great game to the community!

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2014, 02:42:18 pm »

In Photoshop you can turn on grids that are exactly 32 pixels between gridlines.  Easiest way would be to double click on your ruler (if ruler is not on, hit ctrl+r) then click on "Guides, Grids, and Slices" and set gridline to every 32 pixels.  If you want to make subdivisions within each 32x32 square you can, but setting that at 1 will work fine too.

Thank you for this! I don't have photoshop, using GIMP, but figured out how to turn the grid on in there and it has helped immensely.

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2014, 05:38:18 pm »
Here's a screenshot of my "Pac Family" skin... it has some obvious issues given that the sprites for all but standard pac man aren't vertically symetrical but it still looks cool in action.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:11:14 pm by thatpurplestuff »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:02:22 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2014, 07:07:46 pm »
For laughs, I'm going with a Wizard of Wor theme.

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2014, 07:34:06 pm »
For laughs, I'm going with a Wizard of Wor theme.

THAT is awesome.  WoW is my favorite.  Great job!

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2014, 07:42:47 pm »

Thanks. Here it is with Griffins...

meyer980

• Offline Offline
    • Sergio Stuff
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »
My first (successful) attempt, fix it felix skinned. Used the leaked spritesheet to get the images. It's not quite perfect yet, still needs some fixing. I think it looks cool, but I'm going to try and make something original next.

Anyone else having trouble with matching players to the right colors? Seems like they're not all matching up...or I just don't have sprites in the right place.

I'm really looking forward to even more Sjaak, the first level is very fun. And the AI is good, I'm having trouble beating them!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2014, 08:14:03 pm »
Banana Royale back on track using the cast of another classic from that era

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 08:16:18 pm by Le Chuck »

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2014, 09:59:35 pm »

Thanks. Here it is with Griffins...

Burwors.  Garwors are yellow and Thorwors are red.

My two cents are to have the Blue and Yellow Warriors along with the Worlock and the Wizard.

But, to be honest, I'll have wood if you post that.  Seriously.  I have issues...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2014, 10:56:12 pm »
Had a wild hair so I decided to throw together "Medieval Mayhem", I'm sure you can guess where I goinked the sprites from.  I didn't do all the character rotations for the bad guys and there is some line pollution over two of the bad guys' heads that I'll need to clean up but I rather like it. 

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2014, 11:02:05 pm »
Make those walls stone, and that'd be awesome, LeChuck! :cheers:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2014, 11:09:06 pm »
Make those walls stone, and that'd be awesome, LeChuck! :cheers:

The walls cycles colors so it'd look odd. For Banana Royale I want the walls to be vines.

I'm looking forward to updates on this!

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: January 13, 2014, 04:05:27 am »
I'm liking these spritesheets! The Wizard of Wor is really cool and the monkeys from Banana Royale look real scared.

I can't wait for some original (not based on an existing game) spritesheets. If we get some great sprites, I can also make alterations to the game. Like rotating the enemy sprites (because the always stay upright at the moment), not changing the maze color, etc...

For those of you feeling really adventurous, there is a level1.xml file included. The <Layout> part contains the definition for the maze, you can change most of it, just not the center part and there has to be a path around the 'Ghost cage'. Also the players always start at the same position.

The <StartPillPositions> part specifies the dots at the start of the level and the <PillVariations> contains info for the dots that appear during the game. You can have more than one PillVariation section.

Remember that the maze has to be mirrored otherwise some players have an advantage.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:10:52 am by Sjaak »

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #138 on: January 13, 2014, 05:12:38 am »
Like rotating the enemy sprites (because the always stay upright at the moment), not changing the maze color, etc...

Instead of rotating, I'd like to have the sprites oriented in the same direction regardless of the direction they're moving. Thus have animations for moving north, east, west and south.  Is that doable?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2014, 05:29:45 am »
Instead of rotating, I'd like to have the sprites oriented in the same direction regardless of the direction they're moving. Thus have animations for moving north, east, west and south.  Is that doable?

The enemy sprites already do that (sort of). For the player sprites it's doable, but it would increase the number of sprites by 33 (for the death animation)+96 (for the player animation)+12 (for blinking without animation). So that is at least 141 extra sprites.

Software side shouldn't be a problem, but the creative side is a different story...

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2014, 08:06:05 am »

The enemy sprites already do that (sort of). For the player sprites it's doable, but it would increase the number of sprites by 33 (for the death animation)+96 (for the player animation)+12 (for blinking without animation). So that is at least 141 extra sprites.

Software side shouldn't be a problem, but the creative side is a different story...

I'm a little confused as to why the sprite count would go up so much.  If the head of the character is always oriented at the top of the screen and just faces left or right depending on the last lateral direction traveled shouldn't the current sprites be sufficient?  The baddies move like that already on Medieval Mayhem because I didn't rotate the bad guys (lazy on my part). 

I'm sure I'm missing something as to why the extra art would be necesseary but I would like this feature as well.  In fact being able to select cocktail or upright in the menu would be awesome and then the game auto adjusts.   

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2014, 08:35:21 am »
But Felsir wanted separate sprites for left, right, up and down movement...

4 (animation steps) sprites for moving left, 4 for moving right, 4 for moving up, 4 for moving down
4 (animation steps) sprites for moving left, 4 for moving right, 4 for moving up, 4 for moving down (but now for scared player)
4 (animation steps) sprites for moving left, 4 for moving right, 4 for moving up, 4 for moving down (for blinking player)

Multiply by 4 for 4 players. Anyway if someone creates awesome sprites (no copyright) I'll happily change the game.

In fact being able to select cocktail or upright in the menu would be awesome and then the game auto adjusts.   

You can vertical=true in the ini file to run in cocktail mode.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2014, 08:36:46 am »
The number of sprites would go up because there will be an animation for walking in each direction.
For example the bomberman sprite would have an animation for each direction of 4 frames- 16 frames just for that one character.

Now for less creative solutions the same sprite could be manually rotated for the n-s-e-w directions in the spritesheet (the sprites are pre-rotated and no per-sprite-rotation is required in the game).

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2014, 08:48:07 am »
I get it now, didn't think about him turning around backwards, I was thinking about older school like Bezerk where the guy just waddled up.  That would be pretty pimp.  I'll start thinking about a fun theme for that and try to get some original work going. 

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #144 on: January 13, 2014, 09:45:51 am »
Anyone run this on Windows XP? It does not start for me, something about a missing library. Fix-it-Felix works and I think they use the same libraries?
Works fine on Win 7.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: January 13, 2014, 09:49:39 am »
Anyone run this on Windows XP? It does not start for me, something about a missing library. Fix-it-Felix works and I think they use the same libraries?
Works fine on Win 7.

Do you know which library is missing? And you're right about Fif, they should both use the same libraries.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2014, 09:53:32 am »
No, I don't know which library it can't find. I can get it to throw the error if I right-click and run as myself. It just says a generic message like 'required library missing'

Can you make a debug version that says what is missing in a log file or something? Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 09:55:16 am by dgame »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2014, 10:00:30 am »
Can you make a debug version that says what is missing in a log file or something? Thanks.

If a library is missing the program can't start. And if the program can't start, it can't write to a log file. Maybe a screenshot of the message? And if you start Fif in the same way, you get no message?

thatpurplestuff

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2014, 12:44:38 pm »
In fact being able to select cocktail or upright in the menu would be awesome and then the game auto adjusts.

This would be amazing.

Also love the idea of making sprites for every direction.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2014, 02:07:46 pm »

If a library is missing the program can't start. And if the program can't start, it can't write to a log file. Maybe a screenshot of the message? And if you start Fif in the same way, you get no message?

Yeah, Fif stars right up on the same system without error. I even reinstalled the libraries. I will try somethings tonight and see if I can find any clues. I can post a screenshot later.  Thanks.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2014, 07:42:04 pm »
This is the error:

I uninstalled .Net 4 and got this error:

I reinstalled .Net 4 and now I can't get the Initialization Error to popup but the game still does not start.

Fix it Felix works fine.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 07:47:19 pm by dgame »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:32 pm »
Made a few corrections to my Ghouls and Ghosts homage, Medieval Mayhem, still need to rotate baddies, add special items, and try and make the walls textured.  In the mean time here's the sprite sheet in .PSD so those who photoshop don't have to start from scratch. 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2014, 09:54:58 am »
Okay, I finally decided on an original theme I can get behind. 

Panda-Monium!

I'll try and get some sprites posted up this weekend, I'll be takling the additional sprites so Sjaak can see about adding the "walking up and down" effect to the game and I'll also push out a regular sprite sheet for the current version. 

I need ideas for the baddies, what can be chasing our poor pandas?

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2014, 09:58:46 am »
Okay, I finally decided on an original theme I can get behind. 

Panda-Monium!

I'll try and get some sprites posted up this weekend, I'll be takling the additional sprites so Sjaak can see about adding the "walking up and down" effect to the game and I'll also push out a regular sprite sheet for the current version. 

I need ideas for the baddies, what can be chasing our poor pandas?

Pigs. Or a paint-roller, Amidar-style.

Or how about a guy with a net, like a Zoo Keeper?

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2014, 10:12:55 am »
Panda-Monium!

When an evil alien named Mondraggor attempted to steal an ancient object called the Pyramid of Power, the pyramid shattered into many pieces, which scattered around the world. Each week, Mondraggor would race against two human siblings, Peter and Peggy Darrow, who were accompanied by three talking pandas named Chesty, Timothy, and Algernon.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2014, 10:32:12 am »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:54 am »
Damndest thing, there's nothing new under the sun I guess.  But my title has a hyphen and an ! so it's totally diffunt!

Soooo cows chasing aliens for 100 alex?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:27 pm »
hey Sjaak, I decided to go back to Monster Mayhem after Pando-Monium! was a bust.  I like the monsters theme so decided to use some classics as the main characters and then decided that the only thing a monster would really be scared of was a clown, so I added clowns as the baddies.  Haven't done the scared sprites or death sprites yet but have a good start on the other stuff. 

I used some sprites that are free for use on the RPGmaker forums and edited them all heavily to match the look I was going for.  I'll probably edit them down even some more but for good practice the following artists work has been either sampled in part or used as inspiration and thanks to them for the help:

Lord Bagardo
Therapie
Deebs

Let me know what you think of these... 

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2014, 08:46:45 pm »
Monster Mayhem basic sprite sheet complete.  I'll fiddle with the walking animations so they are smoother, right now it's a two frame repeat and its a bit clunky.  The death scene plays really well, I like it. 

The flash animation isn't unique for each character so they all default to the flashing mummy for now.  I'd like to see that feature added, just one flash frame per character should be enough and just have that alternate into the regular walking animation.  That way you wouldn't have to increase the sprite count just for a flash. 

The main characters really need to move like the baddies, the clowns look great walking around correctly, look forward to having that feature added. 

For the scared animations I was going to do a bat for Drac, a naked guy for the wolf, and a skeleton for the mummy, but I couldn't think of what to do for Frankenstein so for now the characters just spin in a circle.  If anybody has a suggestion I'll add those back in.  The death scene is nice because the way I have it set up we won't have to do multiple versions of it based on direction, they spin into flames.  Once Sjaak figures out how he wants the updated sprite sheet laid out I'll populate it.

Feedback always welcome!

Edit:  Few other features I'd like to see

Ability to toggle the color overlay on the death animation, my death is blue right now, I'd like to see it unfiltered
Ability to toggle the color cycle on the walls, I'm playing around with textures and they just don't look good with the color overlay.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:29:02 pm by Le Chuck »

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #159 on: January 18, 2014, 03:54:44 pm »
Le Chuck, where were you when we tried to get Candy Nightmare going?