Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Arcade conventions  (Read 1066 times)

Generic Eric

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
Arcade conventions
« on: March 04, 2014, 07:47:27 pm »
I've only been to the Houston Arcade Expo.  That was before it got big and was held in a hotel conference room. 
Anywho.

I wonder if any of these conventions have an "Antique Roadshow" bit during the swap meet.  Seems like that would be cool. 

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: Arcade conventions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:13:40 am »
I've been to the Houston one several times.  It used to be at Fitzgerald's, then a crummy hotel.  I went a couple of years ago and was shocked at how enormous it has become.  I liked it better when it was 100 games and 50 people cramped in a small room. 

Chicago Expo is an absolute dud unless you want to meet industry people that haven't been relevant in 20 years.  (and a lot of them have died)  Nasty, dirty, cold.  Never again.

The loud music was such a problem at the Dallas show that I quit going.  The man that runs it refuses to compromise.  Better show than Chicago, though.  The stereotype that everyone in Dallas feels compelled to be flashy with money is absolutely true.   :P

Frankly, I don't particularly care for conventions in general.  There's a line for anything interesting and the oddball games usually break.  I have zero interest in socializing with other collectors besides the few I've been friends with for years, and I can see or talk to them any time without competing with noise.

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 03:46:48 pm »
The loud music was such a problem at the Dallas show that I quit going.  The man that runs it refuses to compromise.  Better show than Chicago, though.  The stereotype that everyone in Dallas feels compelled to be flashy with money is absolutely true.   :P

Is that the Texas Pinball Festival? I've wanted to go, but never have gotten around to it.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:47:56 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 04:04:57 pm »
Yeah, I haven't been since about 2004ish so maybe it's changed. 

I distinctly recall it being much larger than the Chicago show and if someone put a gun to my head I'd opt for Dallas.  A gun to my head is about what it would take to get me to either of them, though.

:cheers:

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 09:52:09 pm »
THE UK Expo at The Norcross Hotel a few years back had a museum of old PC kit.  Sadly it reminds me of the kit that I was responsible back in the day, where the exclamation of "look at that" turns to "OMG not that thing again".

Nice to see a roadshow but I'm sure you can find a good book of retro junk to scan over.  There is plenty on Amazon, but I recommend the volume by Bill Kurtz.  It is a worthy read.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.