Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Noob..confused about installing mame.  (Read 9599 times)

diamondz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 27, 2013, 11:40:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Noob..confused about installing mame.
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:45:33 pm »
Hello All,

I purchased a mame cabinet, running mame 32 via a dell computer inside of the cabinet. It was running windows 2000. So i decided to upgraded the operating system to windows xp pro 32 bit, and install games to my taste.

I have never dealt with mame before, but I have been reading and trying different things to get it to work.  Google lead me in all different directions, but i could not fully get anything to work. I don't think the newest mame (.147) works on xp?  I have tried compiling and all different things, but everything has failed.

Is there a set of updated instructions for a true beginner? Ones that tell you setp by step how to install mame? Is there anything i could just basically install and run, with minimal editing, and with room to grow? I am not too particular on games but i like pacman etc,

Any help or direction would be gratly appreciated.  Thanks!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Noob..confused about installing mame.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 01:13:26 pm »
Well, you are asking a very broad question, but understandably so if you are just learning for the first time. There are different modified versions of mame, and the version of mame you are using is very important as well. Easier types of mame to start with, like mame32 windows, are not really ideal for a cabinet, you will need to go more in depth to get your system going smoothly. I will try to just get you started with getting standard mame to work.

Here is the very basics, hopefully it points you in the right direction at least:

1 - download mame from their website. Just get the binary package. Extract it somewhere simple.

2 - You need roms (aka your games). It is very important that the roms you get match the version of mame you are using. It is against the rules for me to tell you anything about where to find them. If you can google and torrent, you should be able to find something. Once you have something, put the Roms in the rom directory in your mame folder.

3 - You will need a frontend program to run Mame from a cabinet. Regular Mame wont start by double clicking it. I recommend starting with MALA. Extract it somewhere simple as well, and open it up. It will ask you to locate MAME, some files in the MAME directory, Roms, etc. do you best to locate it, and if all goes well, it will compile a list of the roms you have. you can scroll through the list and hit enter to play the games. hit tab while in game to change things like controls.

Obviously these are very simple instructions missing many details, but you can either fill in the gaps yourself or come back and ask more when the more specific questions come up.

:cheers:

lojac005

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2012, 10:22:40 am
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »
Well.. I'm a noob myself.. and I've been through pretty much the same thing.  What I can tell you (as far as I know.. so anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) .. is that certain versions of MAME will only work with certain operating systems.  I have .147 and I'm running 7 on mine.  Be careful also with pulling in games individually as the other pain in the butt thing... all the games have to be of the same version or something ... release, update .. I'm not certain what its called exactly... but essentially everything has to be the same in order for it to all work correctly.  Like if you have .146 Version Roms.. they won't work with .147 version...  I think thats correct.. as I understand it.  There are a bunch of sources you can go to.. the most helpful I've found is <link removed by HaRuMaN> .. I think is the site... I'm at work and can't access the link from here or would link it..  that place has good info and forum to ask questions.   The best thing to do is as much research as you can... its the best way to learn as frustrating as it is.  Hyperspin has a good forum too.

EDIT:

No linking to ROM sites.
-HaRuMaN
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 04:10:45 pm by HaRuMaN »

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:48:07 pm »
Thanks for the info.

Will the newest mame work with xp? When I go to download it seems and if only the newest version is supported at this time. There are older versions, but I couldn't find .diff files for them..(the instructions i was following told me to extract it). What is the newest version that windows xp pro can support? I think i need to start by getting the correct version as I can't upgrade my system any more.

I have a cabinet but it a complete computer (not parts or boards) was just sitting inside, hooked to the original monitor for the dell pc. I have an x-arcade gamepad(joystick) . 

Thanks!

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:54:07 pm »
I believe the newest version of mame will work with XP, you just want to make sure you don't use the 64-bit version of MAME.

paigeoliver

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 04:06:13 pm »
If you have a windows 2000 era computer then installing the newest mame would be a huge mistake. It would be a dog on such an old system. The system requirements today are a lot higher than they were 10 years ago.
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 04:40:27 pm »
I have a Dell Optiplex GX240. 1gb of ram, windows xp pro 32 bit installed.  What  is the most advanced mame I can run with no/few issues?

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 07:01:14 pm »
That isn't a question that can be easily answered. You could run the latest mame, but tons of titles wouldn't run full speed. Each mame version gets more complicated, and while some individual titles might actually get emulation speed improvement from one version to the next the general speed trend is downward with each release.

I would suggest installing something around mame .55 to .72 if you go any newer than that you are going to start losing games that would have worked on your system using an older mame version. If you already have something in that range then just leave it. I really suggest version .55 as you have enough processor there to play almost every game that exists in that version at full speed and none of the big name titles are broken in that version. 90-95 percent of titles added after .55 mostly fall into one of 3 categories, stuff you never heard of, terrible games, and stuff that wouldn't run on that rig anyway.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX240. 1gb of ram, windows xp pro 32 bit installed.  What  is the most advanced mame I can run with no/few issues?
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

cmoses

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2023, 05:19:00 pm
Noob..confused about installing mame.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »
Not sure what processor is that Dell but I have a computer that I am putting together on the cheap to run MAME in a cocktail cabinet. It will only be running a small group of MAME games. The computer is a Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz, 1MB of RAM and a 512MB Nvidia card in it. I run Windows XP 32 bit and the current MAME 147u1. All the games, classic verticals, run fine. I added the video card more for the front end, HyperSpin, then for MAME. Although I am also using the HLSL features for a better look on my LCD monitor, so the video card will also come in handy for those features. The HLSL features are relatively new, I think around version 144.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 09:39:16 pm »
Classic vertical titles generally require the LEAST processing horsepower (early emulators had most of the classic vertical titles running full speed on 486 era processors). There are a whole bunch of stuff from around 1987 onward that would run full speed on his rig if he was running .55 and would stutter like mad with the current version. I looked up his PC and it seems it usually had about a 1.5 ghz single core cpu in it.

Not sure what processor is that Dell but I have a computer that I am putting together on the cheap to run MAME in a cocktail cabinet. It will only be running a small group of MAME games. The computer is a Pentium 4, 2.0 Ghz, 1MB of RAM and a 512MB Nvidia card in it. I run Windows XP 32 bit and the current MAME 147u1. All the games, classic verticals, run fine. I added the video card more for the front end, HyperSpin, then for MAME. Although I am also using the HLSL features for a better look on my LCD monitor, so the video card will also come in handy for those features. The HLSL features are relatively new, I think around version 144.

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:22:35 am »
Yes it as 1.5 ghz.  Si i guess i will go with the earlier mame version. Thanks

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 06:44:06 am »
Ok, I've made some progress, but I am having some issues after hours of searching for a clear answer.  I have Mame with 6000 roms. I have installed Mala front end. 

1. How do i launch the program from windows desktop? I dont see where it installed too. whenever i want to open it, i have to go to the exe and re-install all over again. I don't want the pc to boot straight to it yet for editing /set up purposes. Do I launch via mame or mala?

2. I setup different layouts, but they are never there/but i assume since i am installing everytime, it wont be there.

3.I also tried the Mala tree, how do i get the Roms into the correct categorie,s is Romlister the same thing? Is one better than the other?

4. do I need .chd files?

5. I know i am getting ahead of myself, but putting it out there. Is there a certain jukebox that will worl with mala and mame?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:34 am »
4. do I need .chd files?

If you want to play the associated games, then yes.

You need the ROM and the .chd to play Simpsons Bowling, Killer Instinct, etc.

Scott

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 02:52:03 pm »
DO i need to download those files seperately or are they already in my pack? How would i find each .chd for each rom?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 03:17:08 pm »
Per forum rules, I can't tell you precisely where to find the .chd files, but google and bittorrent search sites are your friends.

Try to find a torrent of .chd files the same or slightly higher version than your MAME.  A keyword like "simpbowl" (Simpsons Bowling) is a good way to find them.

NOTE: .chd files were updated for version 0.146.

Once you find them, they go in a subfolder named after the ROM like in this example -- mame32\roms\simpbowl\simpbowl.chd

Scott

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2012, 03:21:13 pm »

If your PC is that old, I wouldn't worry about the chd files.  You won't be able to run many of them.  I'm using a P4 I.8 Ghz and can't run a lot of chd files.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2012, 04:22:05 pm »
Also, if you have 6000 roms then the romset you downloaded is way too new for the mame version you need to run on an 11 year old PC.

Skip the chd games, you might get all of one of them working.

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2012, 05:00:53 pm »
So, I need at least version 146 and a newer PC.  lol.  So, I need to re-think this whole thing.  The pc i have came with windows 2000 mame32 i upgraded to windows xp thinking i could just put the same thing back easily, but it's not that easy.

Thanks.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2012, 05:16:12 pm »
You don't need to start again, you just need to decide what you want from your machine.  If you want to play all the old classics then what you have hardware wise is fine, you just need to get an older romset.  It's out there.  I know the xbox romset was based on a much older version of mame. Also get an older version of mame32 or mameui or whatever you are using. 

Alternatively if you want to play Blitz or Gauntlet Legends then sure get the most powerful dual core system you can afford and run version 146.

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2012, 05:59:17 pm »
ok I just got caught up in all the options.  I will install the older mame/rom on the set i have now..and then i will start on a whole new upgraded idea.  Thanks for all the help!

matt4949

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 07, 2021, 09:24:54 pm
  • Poor Kids Only Got To Watch Video Games
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2012, 06:08:35 pm »
Welcome to the sickness. I myself am about 6 weeks into this and believe me it is all very confusing and frustrating and sometimes rewarding. I know you're looking for easy answers but unfortunately there are none. You are at the right forum and everyone here that I have dealt with has been helpfull. My advice is to practice on on  your home computer to try to get things to work. "THE LUMBER JACKASS" has some good videos on YOU TUBE and make sure the first game you get working is something your wife loves to play. Took me 5 days (4 to 8 hours per day) to get a version of mame working on my computer and a couple more before I had a rom that worked. Mala is a struggle but everyday it gets easier. Oh yeah, don't forget to play a game every once in a while working on all this.

diamondz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2012, 08:39:30 pm »
Lol, I am the wife. Thanks for all the help.

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2017, 08:12:46 am
    • The DaveCade
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2012, 12:35:56 pm »
One of the biggest headaches I came across when I first started, was the fact that a lot of games build off originals.  For instance, Pac-Man.  Download it,  it probably won't work (complain about missing files).  You'll need to determine what the base game is (Puck-Man, in this case).  Again, when I was first starting the MAME adventure, this was one of the biggest "aha!" moments I had.

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2012, 10:43:11 pm »
It seems to be fairly easy to get romsets for the .72 version of mame, and those should be about 95 percent correct for any version .53-.80.