Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What do you mean I have to build it ?  (Read 4478 times)

Lillepus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 01:52:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
What do you mean I have to build it ?
« on: September 07, 2017, 01:21:47 pm »
Hello,

I am a quite tech-savvy idiot which finally have gotten to the stage in my life where I can build my own machine. I am quite new to the retro-scene and especially new to arcades in general, so I am sure I’ll have tons of questions as this progress. I am heavily inspired by Flynn’s arcade and Paradox arcades.
Right now, I am looking for the buttons, joysticks etc. to use, and wondering from you seasoned veterans what is “optimal”. For controls I am consdeering to buy:
  • 1x ServoStik
  • 3x J-Stik Ball-Top
  • 1x U-TRAK FlushMount Arcade Trackball
  • 2x I-PAC Ultimate I/O
From ultimarc. + Spinner when they get it in store.

The buttons, I want whatever looks similar to Flynn and paradox arcades and I’ve found these buttons:
https://www.focusattack.com/il-psl-l-translucent-concave-long-stem-pushbutton-clear / https://paradisearcadeshop.com/il-psl-l-transparent/275-il-psl-white-translucent-concave-pushbutton-.html
which I think are the same as he uses over at paradoxarcades, but if I am wrong please correct me :D
When it comes to the RGB-leds inside the buttons I struggle to find any place which sells them for IL buttons; I found these ones, but they are always out of stock: https://paradisearcadeshop.com/button-leds/100-il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led-.html
Does anyone know where I can get those?  Or anything equivalent?

I’ve just started playing with the idea and created a rotating plate for my monitor using a simple cheap servo mounted to a car-ball bearer, powered by an Arduino.
I will build a cab inspired/heavily stolen from Flynn probably, with rotating monitor, but otherwise similar. For software, I am going to go with Hyperspin, eds and maybe integrate it in some sort of dev environment as a ESB. As a software engineer by trade, this is the part I dread the least and will open source all code I write.
Having just achieved my most important milestone (Spousal approval), I am really looking forward to start building.

Namco

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 08, 2024, 06:12:56 pm
  • Now addicted to Williams pins... all of them.
    • Freddo Mame Project
Re: What do you mean I have to build it ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 07:52:57 pm »
Hi Lillepus, welcome to the hobby!

The cabinets that inspired you are pretty and graphics/design heavy. This is going to be a very long project, and very expensive, but I think you already know that. And on top of that you're going with the rotating monitor as well. Ambitious. I wish you luck!

Two-Headed Beast and Flynn's Arcade both mention using black and translucent IL buttons from Paradise, so that or the short stem version has to be it. I'm just learning about them myself. Having an SMD LED on a little circuit board is a neat solution, but can easily duplicate this with an arduino/teensy and any number of the cheap chinese WS2812 addressable LED strips that are all over ebay and adafruit. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ws2812-breakout-hookup-guide/addressable-led-strips .  But since the ultimarc board probably can't handle SPI or I2C (whatever those LED strips use), maybe just get the RGB LEDs, some protyping boards and duplicate the IL-lumination RGB yourself. It just looks to be a board with a surface mount LED, a resistor for each channel (which you probably don't even need) and a connector.

As for the stick, I've only used happ competitions. I'm old school, but my next build I'm looking at using that same servo stick and trackball.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch your progress. Good luck!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 07:55:13 pm by Namco »

Lillepus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 02:37:18 am »
Hi Lillepus, welcome to the hobby!

The cabinets that inspired you are pretty and graphics/design heavy. This is going to be a very long project, and very expensive, but I think you already know that. And on top of that you're going with the rotating monitor as well. Ambitious. I wish you luck!

Two-Headed Beast and Flynn's Arcade both mention using black and translucent IL buttons from Paradise, so that or the short stem version has to be it. I'm just learning about them myself. Having an SMD LED on a little circuit board is a neat solution, but can easily duplicate this with an arduino/teensy and any number of the cheap chinese WS2812 addressable LED strips that are all over ebay and adafruit. https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/ws2812-breakout-hookup-guide/addressable-led-strips .  But since the ultimarc board probably can't handle SPI or I2C (whatever those LED strips use), maybe just get the RGB LEDs, some protyping boards and duplicate the IL-lumination RGB yourself. It just looks to be a board with a surface mount LED, a resistor for each channel (which you probably don't even need) and a connector.

As for the stick, I've only used happ competitions. I'm old school, but my next build I'm looking at using that same servo stick and trackball.

Anyway, I can't wait to watch your progress. Good luck!

Thanks! Appreciate the welcome. I realize its going to be a long road ahead but I think I will enjoy it :)

When it comes to the buttons/led I'd like to order at least some that looks like theirs do, with some sort of "stock" rgb illumination, because I'd like to replicate their behavior. In order to do so, I need to know what they look like :D. I was actually planning on buying some led strips to line the inside of the CP and connect those to either an arduino or custom made PCB with a simple atmel chip. But its a long time into the future ^^
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 02:44:07 am by Lillepus »

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:11 am »
Welcome,

Good luck and prepare that wallet for a real pounding!!

gumby510

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2022, 09:19:44 pm
  • SR-20 NX 2000
What do you mean I have to build it ?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 03:02:51 pm »
Those LEDs from paradise arcade you will have to file down the pcb and bend the plunger in order for them to clear the black clear IL buttons. Even after doing that they still catch sometimes. Wish I bought something else. Since you are looking at getting the clear and not black buy one led and one button to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:10:22 pm by gumby510 »

Lillepus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 05:07:16 pm »
Those LEDs from paradise arcade you will have to file down the pcb and bend the plunger in order for them to clear the black clear IL buttons. Even after doing that they still catch sometimes. Wish I bought something else. Since you are looking at getting the clear and not black buy one led and one button to test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to, but they dont have any leds in stock ^^ So I was wondering if I got the correct LEDS/button combo, but I will try to order 1 button, 1 led once I find the correct ones :)

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2017, 12:19:23 pm »
Why two of the Ultimate I/O?

Lillepus

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2017, 06:14:08 am »
Why two of the Ultimate I/O?

Yeah that was a mistake. Supposed to be one Ultimate I/O, when I was researching, it looked I needed either 2xPacled64 or 1x ultimate I/O. I just pasted wrong :)

wasted0101

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 01, 2021, 02:29:55 pm
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 06:51:53 pm »
Here is the LED's you want. I do not remember if you need the ones with or without the resistor.

https://paradisearcadeshop.com/button-leds/1835-il-lumination-rgb-5vdc-led-rev-a.html#/details-without_resistor