Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A Fistful of Quarters! - western themed Evolution Cab...FINISHED...  (Read 27729 times)

mcseforsale

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Just wanted to edit the OP and finish this off.  I have a sweet serial plate coming from corybee and we will be ordering the solar grey plexi from Tap plastics this weekend.  Anywho, here's the finished shots:

Final...FINAL shots.  I got the glass put in, he painted the room and it is complete:

In it's new home:

Control panel pron:

Wiring pron:

Here's the MameWah skin:

Here's the sweet serial plate corybee's making me:

Thanks to LeChuck for the marquee art and Knievel for the inspired design.  Read on if you're interested in the build steps...you may just see a new idea!

AJ

on to the OP:

So, I built The Blue Pill and it's sitting in my garage.  And, my father in-law is a MAJOR 80s video game freak.   So, I was asked to build them a cab for their retirement house.  The only thing I could think of was a Kneivel Evolution style cab to fit into the small spaces.  "Sure...no problem" I said.

OMG...what did I get myself into:

Well, that ^^.  I'm building a Kneivel woody/evolution cab for them.  And, this is the official entry build thread.  This should go *MUCH* faster than The Blue Pill, since it's not my money.  :applaud:

The idea is a western themed cab, which I'm still working out, but it will NOT be yellow or brown.  It will be a modern cab with a Kneivel CP and obviously, a modified Kneivel evolution cab.

Enjoy!!

AJ
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 01:58:53 pm by mcseforsale »

TGov

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2017, 02:07:54 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
I look forward to the progress :)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Got a lot done today...most of the major cuts are complete, minus the CP and front door.  I think I'll get it glued and screwed by the weekend.  Just glad  I beat the weather today.   :angry: :angry:

AJ

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
Re: The Man with No Name - western themed Evolution Cab...Wish me luck!!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »
Can I ask what material you went with for this? You said it's a Knievel Woody/Evolution, so is it hardwood plywood? Something else?

And, the cuts look great! Dimensions are the same as Knievel? What's your width on this cab going to be? Depth?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2012, 10:08:55 pm »
This is 3/4 MDF.  First, because my tools are average and I don't own a table saw, so I'd be killing decent plywood all over the driveway.  :hissy: :laugh2: 

It's a modified Evolution/Woody.  I used this basic template:

Since I don't have a decent table saw, I will have to build a CP box that's all one size (I like doing that anyway), so I've angled the actual "arms" that the CP box sits on and made that part a right-angle instead.  It's the same thing I did on The Blue Pill.  So, looking at it, you will notice that those actually point down.  It will have the same net effect as a 4 1/2 front and 5 1/2 at the back of the CP box the way Kneivel does.  I simply took a framing square and tilted it down the appropriate amount and cut it that way.

I am the master of using a skil saw and straight edge.   :laugh: >:D 

For anyone looking for the dimension of the rounded edges, I used a blank CD for the rounded edges on the "arms" beneath the CP and I used a tire pressure guage for the rounded edges everywhere else...I'd guess that is about 1.5" in diameter.

Working on art, but my FIL (father in law), is a real western fan so it'll have a western theme, with modern colors.  I pulled some pretty cool art from the interwebs. 

The CP will be basic Kneivel fare with a western town backdrop and the marquee will read "Man with No Name".   :laugh2: :laugh2: I don't get it either, but it's not for me, so....  I may drop in "Arcade with No Name" instead.   :dizzy: :cheers:

I will be gluing/screwing the case together some time this week.  But, between teaching 2 nights, regular job and an impending move to a different building with work (I'm part of the network engineering staff...ugh.), I'll be lucky to get back to this by the end of the week.

AJ 

Can I ask what material you went with for this? You said it's a Knievel Woody/Evolution, so is it hardwood plywood? Something else?

And, the cuts look great! Dimensions are the same as Knievel? What's your width on this cab going to be? Depth?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 10:11:23 pm by mcseforsale »

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 10:11:36 pm »
yeee hawwwwww  ;D

Looks like my garage right now. Good luck with the build, Pardner.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 10:17:36 pm »
dekar24K did a bang-up western themed build a while back.  It's a different cab style but I thought you'd like to see his art just for reference.  Of course, if you're going more old school a 3 color stencil screams retro and is a lot of fun to do as well.

Pic is also a link to the build thread fysa

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »
Thanks everyone!  Here's the lowdown on the art.  I'll be using the standard Kneivel CP top and here's the existing background...this is the first mockup, I'll be adding the halos around the controls once I finalize the background colors:

I will be changing the entire hue of that background to match the blue in this:

Clint with be at the very left of the marquee, then I will put the lettering in center/right.

Hey, Kneivel!  Hope you checked out the "The Blue Pill" build thread! 
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,117977.msg1250249.html#msg1250249

I'll be doing the wiring similar to that, but without the LED buttons.

AJ

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2012, 10:45:41 pm »
Hey, Kneivel...just a couple of questions.

1.)  I'll be mounting my LCD on a removable panel (like the blue pill), but I'm curious how you get your monitor out?
2.) how are you handling the power?  power strip?  Do you have an external power button?

Thanks for all your inspiration.  Dad's had a $100K workshop all my life and I swore that woodworking would not be my swing.  He's up in Maine turning bowls now (that's his new thing....along with the $$ lathes and stuff), but I'm proud to say I learnt a little bit. 

AJ
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:05:07 pm by mcseforsale »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 10:52:24 pm »
If he's a major 80's game freak any reason not to simplify the CP a bit with fewer inputs?  If he wants to rock some SF2, MK, or MVSC that's cool and disregard but it seems potentially overbuilt for the audience.  I'd figger a three button or even a two button would be the way to go since he's probably not even a NeoGeo player by the description since those are all north of 1990.  Also, I find admin buttons can make some non-builder-types uncomfortable.  Coin button in the coin door, exit somewhere not easily hit and use P1 to choose games.  No pause.  Simple menus yadda yadda.  Helps it be a worry free package.  Just some thoughts, take them or leave them as you see fit.   

Your art is going to be a lot of fun, can't wait to see your treatment of the images.   

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 11:04:26 pm »
Yeah...it's funny.  He played Centipede, some Missile Command and a couple of others.  Then, I showed him Killer Instinct and he was blown away.  Really, the idea behind this is to give him something to do, and also have the grandkids come over and have them have something to do, so this CP is pretty good for him.  I'll be emulating SNES, N64, Atari 2600 and Mame, since I know my son at least will be using a bunch of buttons.

Plus, it'll give me a reason to go up and "work" on the software during family dinners, etc....I can already see getting bitched at for disappearing during visits.  :cheers:

The art should be interesting.  I've all but forgotten what Wollienz has taught me, so I'll be looking back at those threads, too.

As far as admin buttons, I think I'll do a pause, exit, volume up, volume down and maybe a next-song.  It'll be running Mamewah on a P4, so I can't do the whole Hyperspin thing. 

AJ

If he's a major 80's game freak any reason not to simplify the CP a bit with fewer inputs?  If he wants to rock some SF2, MK, or MVSC that's cool and disregard but it seems potentially overbuilt for the audience.  I'd figger a three button or even a two button would be the way to go since he's probably not even a NeoGeo player by the description since those are all north of 1990.  Also, I find admin buttons can make some non-builder-types uncomfortable.  Coin button in the coin door, exit somewhere not easily hit and use P1 to choose games.  No pause.  Simple menus yadda yadda.  Helps it be a worry free package.  Just some thoughts, take them or leave them as you see fit.   

Your art is going to be a lot of fun, can't wait to see your treatment of the images.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:08:03 pm by mcseforsale »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 09:29:08 am »
I showed him Killer Instinct and he was blown away. 

It'll be running Mamewah on a P4. 

Nothing like showing them what a corvette can do and then giving them a prius  :laugh2:
Does KI even boot on a P4?

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 10:41:47 am »
Yep.  I'm running KI and KI2 on the blue pill.  It's a P4 3.2G with a 1G of ram.  Seems to run great.  I can't do hyperspin, though....well, I can but with no options.  I'm just going to copy my mame over to this PC and change the mamewah skins.  I'm not sure if I'll upgrade mine, since there's really nothing that I miss with the P4 other than a better front end.

Plus, I figure simple mamewah FE with a few emus like N64, SNES and Atari on top of mame should do.  That's all I'm really running. 

AJ

I showed him Killer Instinct and he was blown away. 

It'll be running Mamewah on a P4. 

Nothing like showing them what a corvette can do and then giving them a prius  :laugh2:
Does KI even boot on a P4?

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 11:37:48 am »
Yep.  I'm running KI and KI2 on the blue pill.  It's a P4 3.2G with a 1G of ram.  Seems to run great.  I can't do hyperspin, though....well, I can but with no options.  I'm just going to copy my mame over to this PC and change the mamewah skins.  I'm not sure if I'll upgrade mine, since there's really nothing that I miss with the P4 other than a better front end.

Plus, I figure simple mamewah FE with a few emus like N64, SNES and Atari on top of mame should do.  That's all I'm really running. 

AJ

I stand corrected.  That's great! 

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 11:41:10 am »
I honestly think I was more surprised than you.   :applaud:  When it came up and I saw that spinning Nintendo logo, I was psyched.  It was the middle of the night and I let out a little "hell yeah". 

Not sure what else I'm missing running such an old box.  I can't emu PS2,3 or any other disc games.  I'm wondering if it can handle Daphne.  I'd love to get space ace and the others.

How's that awesome Star Wars cycle coming?  Man, I'm psyched over that!!!   :cheers:

AJ

AJ

I stand corrected.  That's great!

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:43:55 am »
I honestly think I was more surprised than you.   :applaud:  When it came up and I saw that spinning Nintendo logo, I was psyched.  It was the middle of the night and I let out a little "hell yeah". 

Not sure what else I'm missing running such an old box.  I can't emu PS2,3 or any other disc games.  I'm wondering if it can handle Daphne.  I'd love to get space ace and the others.

How's that awesome Star Wars cycle coming?  Man, I'm psyched over that!!!   :cheers:

AJ

Slowly, but it's the kind of project that can't go any other way and turn out right.  I'll be spending the better part of this afternoon into late this evening in the garage.  It's my white whale  :cheers:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »
Very cool.  I have to say, that's probably the most ambitious project I've seen on here.  It makes my simple little wooden boxes look like well....wooden boxes.  We're all waiting with pregnant anticipation for any updates.  :cheers:

AJ

AJ

Slowly, but it's the kind of project that can't go any other way and turn out right.  I'll be spending the better part of this afternoon into late this evening in the garage.  It's my white whale  :cheers:

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 01:31:48 pm »
As far as the name of the cabinet, I've got a three word suggestion for you:  High Plains Drifter

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 01:51:35 pm »
That's pretty good.  I'll ask them.  Man, if this was for me, it would be something else.  My western-fu is very weak.

AJ

As far as the name of the cabinet, I've got a three word suggestion for you:  High Plains Drifter

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 04:18:30 pm »
looking great so far bud, I was wondering how that Clint Eastwood art is going to fair on the side of that tall skinny cab, doesn't look like it's the right proportions for such a shallow side?
I drink and I know things.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2012, 04:29:00 pm »
Sides will be empty, I think.  Clint will be on the left of the marquee art. 

AJ

looking great so far bud, I was wondering how that Clint Eastwood art is going to fair on the side of that tall skinny cab, doesn't look like it's the right proportions for such a shallow side?

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2012, 06:32:59 pm »
Gotcha.

You could always do some kind of old wood faux finish on the sides, that might be fun

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2012, 09:56:32 pm »
Bit of an update today.  I finally got a decent miter box, so I was able to re-cut my 2x4s for the base and put some nice 45s on the nailing strips.  I don't have a biscuit joiner, so I'm using the time tested method of 1x2 nailers glued and screwed into the sides and then the sides gorilla glued/screwed into those.

As the weather finally broke in Atlanta, I saw this come out:

Perhaps a good omen to this build.  Got the box glued/screwed and it all appears to measure up.  The floor is actually rabbeted into the sides by 1/4" on each side, then the cleats:

And, the back:

Now, it's time to start working on the art.  :applaud:

AJ

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:59:24 pm »
Had some company over Saturday night for a dinner party.  So, I had to clean up the garage so we could go out and play some on The Blue Pill.  So, in order to do that, I had to glue/screw the top on  and then stand it up.  Seems to be pretty square.  It's only about 1/16th" out at one of the corners, so, not bad for garage work..

AJ

Knievel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 10, 2016, 10:29:09 pm
  • Who's up for a game of Stunt Cycle??
    • Knievel Kustoms
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:18:57 pm »
Looking good!
Sorry I missed these questions. I'm not around much these days.

I mount my LCD monitor to a piece of 3/4" mdf attached to the sides of the cabinet, It's attached with screws to the exisiting VESA holes.
So I can remove the screws and pull the monitor out through the front if need be. After I pull the monitor glass and bezel out first of course.

Power in my cabinets has always been just a regular power strip. PC runs all the time but is set to sleep after 30 mins as is the monitor.
I have a switch up top to turn the marquee on/off.

Hey, Kneivel...just a couple of questions.

1.)  I'll be mounting my LCD on a removable panel (like the blue pill), but I'm curious how you get your monitor out?
2.) how are you handling the power?  power strip?  Do you have an external power button?

Thanks for all your inspiration.  Dad's had a $100K workshop all my life and I swore that woodworking would not be my swing.  He's up in Maine turning bowls now (that's his new thing....along with the $$ lathes and stuff), but I'm proud to say I learnt a little bit. 

AJ

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2012, 05:31:00 pm »
You may want to check out the smart strips, I have one in Revolution and it switches all the components on and off automatically when I power on/off the PC from the standard PC power button

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2012, 09:25:48 pm »
Yeah.  I'll probably do a smart strip since there's really not much room in there for the relay boxen.  I just don't know if I should wire it to an IBM plug or not.  I probably will.  I think it looks cleaner on the outside with just the socket.

AJ

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2012, 11:01:51 pm »
Yeah.  I'll probably do a smart strip since there's really not much room in there for the relay boxen.  I just don't know if I should wire it to an IBM plug or not.  I probably will.  I think it looks cleaner on the outside with just the socket.

AJ

Yeah I did the same thing

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: The Man with No Name - western themed Evolution Cab...Artwork Update
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2012, 11:18:27 pm »
Artwork update.  I've been talked into trying a sepia type treatment of the art.  So, I have the following 2 control panels that I'm working on.  Personally (and no surprise) I like the blue overlay.  But, being western and after much prodding by the wife, I did the sepia.

Blue:

I figure each would allow the main cabinet to be black.

AJ

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 11:40:43 pm »
Definetly the sepia.  You don't get long shadows with that kind of contrast even with a full moon so it kinda looks funny in the blue.  The sepia is right on tho. 

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 12:20:55 am »
Cool.  I'll let the wife know.  She'll be happy she's right.  :applaud: :banghead: :hissy: :laugh2:

hahahaha.

Still don't know about the color of the cab.  I think I can stick with black on this one.

AJ

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 09:24:03 am »
Listen here, pardner... there ain't room but for one black No Name cab in this here town!   :oldman

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 06:23:34 pm »
Sepia without a doubt it suits the theme perfectly.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:55 pm »
Quick update today.  I was strangled by family obs this weekend...N. Ga. fair on saturday, then some web-updating and network support for my third job (couple of hours today), and the 8 year old needed a new bike, which took a couple of hours while she picked it out.  BUT, I finally got most of the MDF cut and ready for install.

I'll need to cut the speaker holes, but the speaker panel has been sized, as has the door, the front panel, the kick plate and the monitor mount.  I also got the AJ-designed monitor mout cleats cut.  I'll be starting the final stages of the main cab assembly this week and hopefully get the CP cut next weekend, along with the box and the plexi. 

Gratuitous MDF shots:

Cab with door and admin panel fitted:

AJ

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: The Man with No Name - Progress called due to RAIN!!
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2012, 09:35:44 pm »
Chores, chores, chores.  Trimmed the bushes, mowed the lawn and it started sprinkling.   :censored: Dammit!  So, I wanted to get the CP and plexi cut today, but it started raining just after I got the button and joystick holes drilled.   :hissy: :cry: So, I had to pull all the tools in the house with MDF mud on them...but I did get the CP cut, sanded and drilled.  Layed out the football, but I will NOT cut MDF in the garage.  So, it'll have to wait until the rain subsides.. :angry:

AJ
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 10:05:46 pm by mcseforsale »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2012, 10:46:04 am »
Whooo hooo!  Parts are being packaged up right now from GGG.  Trackball, buttons, joys, etc, etc.  It's so NICE to spend someone else's money. 

Also, got the plexi cut for the CP but, no pix.  I should have the art figured by this weekend and hopefully get it printed out next week or so. 

Still a lot to do...build the CP box, the speaker panel, get the monitor mount sorted, etc. 

AJ

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:13 am »
Finally got some time in this weekend.  Took Sunday afternoon and worked on the routing for the CP and the CP bump-out box. 

CP top routed for the trackball mount:

CP Bottom routed for the joys.  I did these freehand so they're not all that pretty:

Here's the beginning of the box.  Since I don't have the table saw-fu of Knievel, I decided to make the entire box 5 1/8" with 7/8" left for the CP top and plexi.  Since no sloped box, I used a rafter square to angle the CP down using the arms of the cabinet sides.  Works like a charm with the same net effect and no higher math required  :applaud::

Here's another shot of the angled cutouts for the CP supports:

AJ

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: The Man with No Name - western themed Evolution Cab...Armor Plating!
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 11:53:14 am »
I was slated to have a lot of time to work on the cab on Sat, so Fri night, I did the all-important "armoring" of the MDF.  If you've never heard of it, it's an easy step to make your MDF's cut edges almost bullet-proof. 

First, mix some basic wood glue with ordinary water.  Make it like thin and watery....I usually start at about a 1-3 ratio glue to water and thin as necessary.  You want it to run off your mixing stick almost clean.  I use the cheap Elmer's for this.  Don't bother using the Gorilla or other expensive glue.  That big thing of glue was about 4 bux at Ace, so it's perfect!

Then, paint it on all of the cut edges of your MDF.  This will raise a little "grain", but it will make the edges 3x more resistant to dents.  Don't be shy with it.  You want the mixture to really saturate the cuts.  Use a foam brush for this.  Don't worry about bubbles...they will be absorbed:

One thing I do after doing this is to use a scrap piece of t-molding with the barbs shaved off to clean out the slots...just wipe it off the t-molding with a wet rag as you go...

I also put it on any MDF that I've shaped with the sander.  In this case, I've rounded the nose of my CP box pretty substantially, so I want to protect the sanded and rounded corners...

Once it's all dry, you will notice that the cuts that were treated are now a bit pebbly, or rough.  Just use a sanding block with some 120 or 100 grit and lightly sand it down a little and it'll be smoove and VERY resistant to dents.

I think this is one of the most important steps of working with MDF.

YMMV

AJ
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 01:36:36 pm by mcseforsale »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: The Man with No Name - western themed Evolution Cab...ASSEMBLY!!!
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 12:03:15 pm »
I finally got a good chunk of time to get some work done yesterday.  Kids and wife had some things to do and since the cab is for her parents, I expressed my need to get some uninturrupted work time.  After about 6 hours of "free" time, I got almost all of the assembly completed.  The only thing left is the hinges for the CP and front door, then it's off to paint!!!

So, since the glued edges from the previous post were dry and nice and hard, I pulled the entire cab out into the driveway and sanded it all down...

I was also able to get the door, speaker panel, CP mounting points, admin-panel and monitor mount sorted..

First, the monitor mount.  It's a riff on Knohbody's bartop bezel with a homebrew mounting system.  Here's the mount that will be screwed to the case:

Next, the cleat that will be screwed to the bezel is test fitted into the notched endplates.  This piece will not be attached directly to the mount in the cab.  This will allow the bezel and monitor to be removed simply by unlatching it and tilting the whole mess forward:

Here's a pic with the monitor mount, support brace (behind the back of the CP) and the admin panel....

It was a long day, but all I have left to do is replace the hinges on the bottom door.  They are the wrong ones.   :censored: :censored:  But, the door is finished, too:

edit:  Got the correct Blum inset pocket hinges and also a dual spring loaded striker for the door.  Turned out pretty nice:

Striker has some juice!

Once that's sorted, it's ready for paint.  I should have the art printed this week and start final assembly next weekend, provided the money works itself out..

Also, if anyone knows a good source for speaker grills, LMK..

AJ
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:21:58 pm by mcseforsale »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: The Man with No Name - western themed Evolution Cab...ASSEMBLY!!!
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2012, 01:08:36 pm »
Also, if anyone knows a good source for speaker grills, LMK..

What size/shape are you looking for?

Divemaster has a 4" speaker/grill combo on sale now in B/S/T.

Arcadeshop has Midway-style 6x9 speakers and grills.

Mikes Arcade also has the 6x9 speakers and covers.

Maybe something here or here from Arcade Boneyard?

Scott