Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with an NTSC television?  (Read 1836 times)

bobrocks95

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2013, 05:28:46 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Help with an NTSC television?
« on: August 28, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »
Hi, I'm trying to use CRT_Emudriver along with this adapter from monoprice in order to output to an NTSC television with component inputs.  I'm using a Radeon HD4850, and basically need to know: what would it look like if I fed the TV the wrong colorspace (RGB instead of YPbPr)?  Since the HD4850 isn't explicitly supported by the adapter, I'm taking a chance here (based on others' reviews saying they used unsupported cards which worked fine) and I need to know if I'm goofing with the output resolution, perhaps not properly outputting in interlaced so the TV will accept it, or if the adapter doesn't work correctly with my GPU and is outputting RGB color.  As it is, I switch to say 640x480, unplug the CRT computer monitor I'm using, then plug in the adapter connected by component cables to the television, and I see the desktop, but with horrible wavy distortion and somewhat muddied colors.  Does anyone have a clue as to whether this is a problem with the adapter (improper colorspace conversion, or perhaps even something to do with the dipswitches on it?) or me not properly outputting an interlaced resolution.  If a picture will help greatly I can take one later.
Thanks a ton in advance.

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Help with an NTSC television?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 08:31:41 am »
Did you try using regular stock catalyst drivers first just to make sure your card is compatible with the dongle?
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

69mustang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2015, 12:31:40 am
Re: Help with an NTSC television?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:09:12 pm »
You need an RGB to component converter, I used an FC-14 Kramer on a 36" CRT. It was awesome, but I remodeled the room and picked up a 25" RGB monitor so I can rotate it for SHMUPS. You could also use Scart to YUV converter. You would need to make a custom cable to go from VGA to a scart socket, you can use this converter http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEGA-SCART-to-RGB-YPbPr-YUV-Component-Video-Converter-/220698773448?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3362ac07c8

A simple adapter won't work since it isn't converting the color space from RGB to YUV that you need it to.