Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some Ideas on a racing wheel panel.  (Read 3366 times)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Need some Ideas on a racing wheel panel.
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:48 am »
I was going through some of my old stuff which has been gathered over the years and found I now have 3 Force Feedback wheels for the PC,
 1 x MS Sidewinder, 1 x Logitech Formula force GP and 1 x Guillemot Force Feedback Wheel, I need to get a psu for the Guillemot but probably have something in the 19V range at work I can use.  I had a quick check of them and found that other then the guillemot I am likely to run into problems if running XP64 or even 32bit with sP3.  This means that they are not going to work on any of my existing setups.  Now I was planning on making a full sized arcade machine for my next project but I want to do something with these wheels.

I have a bunch of computer components available, and I have a couple of Projectors that I may be able to use.  I don't have room for a full sized sit down machine and have never really liked standing to drive (It just doesn't feel right).  So I guess I need to make some sort panel that I can just pull up in front of the sofa and play. Ideally this will want to contain the PC and I can then either output from the projector onto a screen (I probably have a 5ft throw so should be able to get to about 60" with it. Or I could output via HDMI to a 42" LCD.

So my questions are,

Has anyone done anything similar?  If not has anyone got any ideas rolling around as to shape/structure
What emulators support force feedback and what specs are required to get the most out of them.
Is racermame worth getting for mame racing games? http://racermame.altervista.org/    (Is it any better then just plain old vanilla mame)?

I won't actually get started on this in any manner (Other then configuring a PC etc)  before October as am heading on holiday next month but would like any ideas people have.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
Re: Need some Ideas on a racing wheel panel.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:22:55 pm »
I was going through some of my old stuff which has been gathered over the years and found I now have 3 Force Feedback wheels for the PC,
 1 x MS Sidewinder, 1 x Logitech Formula force GP and 1 x Guillemot Force Feedback Wheel, I need to get a psu for the Guillemot but probably have something in the 19V range at work I can use.  I had a quick check of them and found that other then the guillemot I am likely to run into problems if running XP64 or even 32bit with sP3.  This means that they are not going to work on any of my existing setups.  Now I was planning on making a full sized arcade machine for my next project but I want to do something with these wheels.

I have a bunch of computer components available, and I have a couple of Projectors that I may be able to use.  I don't have room for a full sized sit down machine and have never really liked standing to drive (It just doesn't feel right).  So I guess I need to make some sort panel that I can just pull up in front of the sofa and play. Ideally this will want to contain the PC and I can then either output from the projector onto a screen (I probably have a 5ft throw so should be able to get to about 60" with it. Or I could output via HDMI to a 42" LCD.

So my questions are,

Has anyone done anything similar?  If not has anyone got any ideas rolling around as to shape/structure
What emulators support force feedback and what specs are required to get the most out of them.
Is racermame worth getting for mame racing games? http://racermame.altervista.org/    (Is it any better then just plain old vanilla mame)?

I won't actually get started on this in any manner (Other then configuring a PC etc)  before October as am heading on holiday next month but would like any ideas people have.

The sidewinder and (wingman?) Formula Force GP won't work with any modern emulators or games.
The force feedback was handled a completely different way in the early days.
Not sure about the Guillemot, but the newest drivers I see for it are Windows 2000.
I'd test it out with model 2 emulator before building around it.

The main feature of RacerMAME is that it makes an up/down or hi/lo shifter work properly.
In the vanilla MAME build, the shifter is set up as a single switch toggle that flips back and forth between hi and lo.

There is more info on that, emulators that support ffb, a few required specs, and plenty more in the driving cab info thread linked to in my sig.