Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What place was your favorite arcade from your past??  (Read 11670 times)

jediz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2015, 01:51:06 pm
Re: What place was your favorite arcade from your past??
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2012, 12:17:35 am »
there was a pizza place on the way home from school. They had Ms PacMan, Galaga and Track & Field. It was a daily stop.

the 7-11, only had one game, it was commando.

When we went to Springfield, MO, the alladin's castle there was awesome. I loved playing temple of doom at that arcade. I mostly remember playing USA vs Russia superchex hockey (for some reason I loved being the commies). Also played a lot of punch-out.

Last but not least, the "Gold Mine" in Norman, OK. really good arcade for the time and size. Time traveller even made stop there. It's where I spent most of high school playing SF2.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2012, 07:22:55 am »
My favorite "quickee mart" had an Astro Blaster.  Played the hell out of that one.  The bowling alley had a Space Wars, and the roller rink had a Moncaco GP cabaret.  Wish I had both of those games today. 

My hometown only had one real arcade, it was owned by a guy who later became a dog track gambling magnate, and recently beat two federal indictments for bribing legislators.

It was an odd town...

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2012, 10:54:14 am »
Can we start an awkward arcade moments thread?  Here's a few from me:

On vacation at Virginia Beach, hiked what seemed to be miles to a little arcade.  I liked going slow in Paperboy, but some older kids bullied me into going faster.  I did out of peer pressure and crashed, got mad at them for wasting my quarter :(

North NJ mall(my favorite spot) - asking an older kid how to do a Hadouken and him telling me to practice and figure it out myself.  Jerk!!

Same place as above - hot girl watching Smash TV, me gets caught looking at her, she whispers into her boyfriends ear.  Me running away.

stu33

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 02, 2017, 07:36:55 am
    • Cheese Is a Lifestyle
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2012, 11:22:48 am »
My uncle owned one in Three Mile Bay, NY in early 80s...didn't have a chance with the population of 200 in that town.  He had a BattleZone, BurgerTime, Omega Race (upright), Pac and Ms. Pac, Asteroids Deluxe, some solid-state pin with a motorcycle on the side, I think, a juke and the giant atari football with the trackballs.  As long as I brought friends, I got all the quarters I wanted.

The P+C supermarket in Watertown had a Choplifter and a Roadblasters for awhile, and the Salmon Run Mall in Watertown had an arcade that was pretty much skee-ball, 5 street fighter cabs, and redemption stuff.  The Ames (Zayre's previously) had a Spy Hunter.  And the gas station in Chaumont had a Time Pilot.

Northern NY didn't have much arcade-y goodness after my uncle closed up.
http://cheeseisalifestyle.blogspot.com

Hey...don't judge me...everyone has a blog nowadays...

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2017, 08:33:57 am
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2012, 12:10:37 pm »
Was pretty spoiled over my years.

I remember the Mac’s corner store about two blocks from my house had a dragon’s lair for a while and after that they had a Sega time machine.

Though the years between this Mac’s corner store and me being older I don’t specifically remember too many arcades.

There was a couple 1943 shooter games on the ferry we used to take to visit my grandma.

They had a pretty awesome arcade at the paramount theater not far from my house but I more specifically remember the batman pinball game.

I grew up in Vancouver being so close to the border I went to the larger arcade in Seattle when it first opened called gameworkz.

Moved to Edmonton later on and Being older I was quite spoiled living in Edmonton, my local mall had an arcade, had an off-road machine, marvel vs. street fighter, had the six player x-men, As well west Edmonton mall at the time just opened playdium, they didn’t last to long but it was pretty awesome much like gameworkz, I used to play xevious there when I got low on money.

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2012, 01:52:38 pm
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2012, 01:21:35 pm »
Kinda odd for me to jump in here, because I was barely ever allowed in an actual arcade.  I do have some memories to add, though.  Probably most of my game playing was done either at Hill's department store or at a nearby laundromat.  The laundromat had a Dig Dug and a TRON, and to this day, Dig Dug is just about the only arcade game I might be considered "good" at, although a lot of that is from playing home versions.  I actually went back to that laundromat this past Saturday, and they now have a Super PAC-MAN, which I played.

Another thing I did Saturday was to drive by "The Forum" mini-mall, which is a group of shops in an enclosed "pocket" of a strip mall.  Back in the day, there was an arcade in the back called Silver Odyssey, and the doorway was constructed to look like the door of a spaceship.  After the arcade moved outside to a "regular" space in the strip mall, they closed off the "spaceship" doorway with a wall containing a regular door.  The "spaceship" door frame is still in place, though, and that was cool to see.  Kind of a permanent monument to the '80s and the golden age of arcades.

Here's my attempt at a graphic representation of what the "spaceship door" looked like... hope it displays correctly:
 __
/    \
\__/

Probably the first time I saw a color vector game was at "Video Venture" which was in the same shopping plaza as Hill's and the laundromat (a different one from where The Forum and Silver Odyssey were located, though).  My siblings and I got to spend an hour or so in there once, and that was about the most "arcade time" I had until I was in my late teens or early 20s.  I did get to go into Silver Odyssey for a few minutes as a kid, but I don't think we played any games.  Really early arcade experiences as a kid would have been at Natural Bridge (probably my first experience... I played "Cops 'n' Robbers" I think) and "Tweetsie Railroad" (where I discovered the awesome Star Trek sit-down machine).

The coolest place in town was an old movie theater that eventually gave up and "went dollar" in its last days.  They had a huge game room which took up most of the lobby... there were just walkways around the perimeter to get to and from the concession stand and theaters from the box office, kind of like "tunnels".  In its later years, they would set all the games on "free play" and charge a flat fee for admission, completely separate from a movie ticket.  There were a LOT of old classics still there, and it was a blast to finally get some time on those machines.  I talked to someone about buying the machines after they closed, but I had no real financial means to do it at the time.

Other than occasionally finding a machine at our local Food Lion, that's pretty much my arcade experience.  Hope that wasn't too boring.

Oh... and I noticed some people talked about skating rinks.  I worked at one in the late '80s, and my favorite game they had was a High Speed pinball machine.  Funny... I don't remember any of the video games they had except for Fire Truck, which I was way too old to play at that point, although it was popular with the little kids.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 01:32:10 pm by MaxVolume »

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2012, 04:18:40 pm »
Forgot about the skating places.  Skate Fantasy in Manchester, Ct. where I gut my teeth on Donky Kong.  They had Pacs and a couple of pins.  Probably 15 machines in all.

Skate Palace East in East Hartford is where I discovered Bubble Bobble. 

Then, there's where we used to ride BMX...Rt. 5 BMX in S. Windsor Ct.  Just a couple of machines, but the most important was Exitebike and  USA hockey.

Man, what fun.

AJ

Yeah, I forgot about our two skate places: Sunrise Rollerland in Citrus Heights, CA opened up with a wooden floor, red carpeting wall-to-wall, and a kind of medieval theme inside. Then Roller King opened up in Roseville and it had this super-weird new kind of floor that was plastic or whatever that "new" stuff was back in the early 80's.

Both of those places had a bunch of arcade machines, along with several pinballs.

You guys are taking me way back down memory lane... :'(

DefJam

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2024, 02:03:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2012, 11:06:01 pm »
Wow, so many.... it would be great if we had a database.   Ok, my old hangouts...  I lived in Pennsylvania in Montgomery County:

Spaceport - Montgomery Mall.   Fun Fact:  The guys in the Youtube training video worked at this arcade, and I am pretty sure that the spaceport in that photo is from Montgomery Mall.   They also had a killer Star Trek Vector promotions, I remember going in and there were about a dozen machines all on free play.  Still my favorite.

Odyssey Land - in Montgomery  on Rt 309.  Standalone arcade, open til at least 2am.  Good for the older kids.

Saturn IV - In lansdale near lansbowl - awesome place, really dark inside, space themeed.  They always had a good diverse line up.  SpaceFury was there.

Supercade -  Plymoth meeting Mall - It was a huge arcade, they kept an interesting mix of old and new over the years... it hung in there for awhile, but is gone now as well.

There are so many more, but they were the best of what was closest to me.  I would kill for pictures of all of them.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:16 pm »
If yer gonna do a database, how about:

Home Town
Closest Major City
Location (or business)
Address (or close proximity)
Machines you remember

AJ