Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Parallel port has voltage on all but ground pins no matter what I do. Vista 64  (Read 8286 times)

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
I'm just now getting around to setting up the software side of my rotation.

I don't really think this is a Vista 64 issue, as the port has the same voltage from the time the power supply fires up, even while sitting in the bios screen.
Just in case though, here is where I got to where I am:

I had some confusion installing the 64-bit version of inpout because the download includes one called inpout32.dll and inpoutx64.dll
I assumed that inpoutx64.dll was the correct one, but mrsetup was looking for inpout32.dll and wouldn't work until I used that one.
inpoutx64 and the other files that were with it were then deleted. 
Mrsetup seemed to be fine then and it let me set up the options, but the test buttons didn't do anything and the limit switches were always shown as open no matter what. 
I had also originally copied hwinterface.sys and inpout32.lib(from the logix4u download) to the SysWOW64 folder, but deleted them in case they were causing the problem.

In my bios, I have the options for "Parallel Port Mode"
ECP-PPP (default)
Bi-Directional
Normal

I tried all three, but still get the same results.  I didn't shut down the computer completely, just restarted if that makes a difference.
I uninstalled the port in device manager and nothing changes.

Here is what I'm getting (all the time, every time):

Pins 18-25: Ground...as they should be
Pins 10 & 13 which I'm trying to use for limit switches show 4.8v all the time
Pins 4 & 6 which I'm trying to use to rotate the monitor show 3.3v
Other pins on that side show 0.1v
(EDITED: had some of the pin numbers wrong)

The parallel port is just pins on the mobo.  I'm using a bracket with a DB25 connector on it with a cable that goes to the mobo.
The motherboard side of the cable can physically be inserted backwards.  But I tested it to see which slot had no connection at the other end and
since I have the grounds where they should be, I'm sure this is not the case.

Any ideas Mr. Wizard?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:57:33 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
Actually sat down and read the rest of the thread that I got the pinouts from and it looks like an  adapter card is the way to go.  Will order one today.  Still looks like the voltage should drop after the windows loads if inpout32 were working correctly?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:24:52 am by BadMouth »

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
The inputs, reading to ground, should be high. Connecting them to low registers a low on the register.
The parallel port does some weird things on bootup. All pins may be set high, or some mat be set low.
This is a problem I had when first getting into this crazy little thing called rotating monitor.
One of the posters did a write up on how to use inpout with 64 bit systems. Let me see if I can find it.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Here is an excerpt from Mrotate3 readme file.

Windows 7 and Vista 64 bit systems:

You will need to download inpout32 for 64 bit systems. Go to http://logix4u.net to get this free
download. Place the inpout32 for 64 bit in the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder. It's probably best to
also install rstimer.ocx there as well using the install program. The rstimer install program will default to
C:\Windows\System32, at that point, browse to the C:\Windows\sysWOW64 folder and install it there.
Also, do NOT put a copy of inpout32.dll in the same directory as mrotate3.exe. If you do that,
mrotate3.exe will cease to function.

pixel.arcade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2022, 04:27:29 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Hi...
Is not working as I would like in the mrotate win7 64bit Sp1, guys any suggestions?

check image
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 01:19:09 pm by pixel.arcade »

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
Im not sure.
Looks like the problem is that the inpout64.dll is not registering.
Maybe try to download another one and try that, maybe the download from logix4u got corrupted?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
did you try this?
(From logix4u website)

Installation
         You need to put the driver file in your System32\Drivers folder. Make sure, if your using XP/2003 x64 Editions, to put the 64bit version there (hwinterfacedrvx64.sys) instead of the original 32bit version (hwinterface.sys)

At the time I wrote the  above tutorial, I didnt have win7 64 bit, but I just copied what another user found that worked for him on his 64 bit system.
I do have 64 bit on my PC right now, so I need to start troubleshooting this for myself.
But for now, place the hwinterfacedrvx64.sys (from your logix4u download) into the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers folder.
Please let us know if this works, because Im working midnight shift this week and it may be a few days before I can mess around with it.

Edit: Ok, I just tried the above and it's not working for me. So I got to put on my thinking cap.
It may take me a day or two due to my work schedule. (And the general cloudiness of the brain that comes with it.)
Let me know if you come across anything.
My PC is 64 bit, and even though I have a connector for parallel printer port on my motherboard, I didnt get a DB25 connector for the case with my motherboard, so I cant go very far with my tests, but I should be able to at least install inpoutx64 and make sure mrotate can talk to it.
Maybe I need to address this issue and make a mrotate64?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 05:06:51 pm by DaOld Man »

pixel.arcade

• Offline Offline
Hi DaOld Man

I did and redid everything imaginable without success. I downloaded the files redid the procedures for win 7 64bit and it did not work, tips on how to solve the problem thank you very much.

pixel.arcade

• Offline Offline
did you try this?
(From logix4u website)

Maybe I need to address this issue and make a mrotate64?

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
I ordered a copy of VB.net from ebay last night. There will be a learning curve, but maybe I can come up with something for 64 bit.

Did you get the inpout dll to work?
If you figure it out, please post here so others may benefit.

pixel.arcade

• Offline Offline
Did you get the inpout dll to work?
I did all the procedures again but without success.
If you have any other tips, I'm Ready!!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 12:00:25 pm by pixel.arcade »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
If you have any other tips, I'm Ready!!

I gave up and ordered a USB "simple motor controller" from pololu.  ;)
Only took a half hour to install it in the cab and get everything working exactly like I wanted.
That included pulling the monitor mount out of the cab and putting it back in.

I came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth the hassle of trying to get the parallel port working and then having the same headaches all over again when I updated the mobo or OS.  The USB pololu stuff should be fairly future-proof for a while.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 05:11:03 pm by BadMouth »

pixel.arcade

• Offline Offline
I'm hoping to use the Win7 64bit Mrotate, the features of programs are excellent, with Win7 32-bit I notice a lower performance than the 64-bit version of the emulator primarily Demul.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
I'm hoping to use the Win7 64bit Mrotate, the features of programs are excellent, with Win7 32-bit I notice a lower performance than the 64-bit version of the emulator primarily Demul.

Im not having a lot of luck with the 64 bit printer port problems, but I havent given up yet.