Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Twisted Quarter - Buyer Beware  (Read 52399 times)

csnow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:30:54 am
Twisted Quarter - Buyer Beware
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:14:05 am »
I have purchased from Twisted Quarter on three separate occasions. 1) eBay - molex tool 2) Phone order - 19 LCD monitor and bezel 3) Phone order - 26 LCD monitor and bezel.  The first two purchases were fine but the third has become ugly.

The 26" LCD monitor arrived late Tuesday afternoon. On Wednesday, I open the shipping box and set the monitor on my workbench.  I power it up and there is no output to the display.  Typically, there should be a "No signal" message when there isn't an input source detected.  I go ahead and connect the PC to the monitor. Prior to connecting the PC, I ensure the resolution and refresh rates are set to a supported value per the monitors manual.  No output.  I swap cables, still nothing.  I move it back to my computer monitor and call Andrew.  Andrew is very polite and asked me to remove the back cover to check the connectors on the video input board.  Everything is tight.  Andrew asks me to return the monitor so he can repair it.  He even told me he would cover return shipping.  Wow, this is going well.  However, he tells me that the manufacturer is no longer making these but he does have spare parts.

That evening, I just didn't feel good about the monitor purchase.  The only reason I paid the outrageous $500 was because it was plug and play.  I wouldn't have to modify the cabinet.  However, after receiving a dud and then finding out they are no longer being made, I came to the conclusion I would be better off to go ahead and build a shelf for a standard 27" computer monitor versus having an end of life product with limited support.  With a monitor that is no longer produced, I would be in the same boat as having a CRT.  Therefore, I emailed Twisted Quarter and requested a refund instead of a repair.  I also gave them the FedEx tracking number of the return. 

I am in the IT industry.  I understand that everything is made in China or Taiwan - board failures are common.  However, when I RMA an item I typically will get a different make or model.  Once I get a lemon, I rarely go back with the same product.  For instance, I built a PC for a friend and the Gigabyte motherboard was bad.  I RMAed back to NewEgg but I got an ASUS motherboard as a replacement.  Once I am burned, I loose faith in that model.  I don't think that is unrealistic.

I get a reply from Mike saying that they don't do returns on electronics that have been opened or installed.  He was smug in his reply and stated this was clearly stated on the return policy on the webpage.  This really made me angry.  Why was I angry?

1 - I was a phone order.  I didn't buy it off the website so don't quote a website return policy.  I was never informed of their staunch return policy on either of my phone orders.  I would have never purchased from them had I known their return policy.

2 - The item was not installed.  Mike replied back and said that it was opened.  He stated that I had to have opened it; otherwise, I wouldn't have known that it didn't work.  Really? Yes, it was opened but it was only in a brown, nondescript shipping box.   There weren't any fancy graphics on the box that got ripped, the box wasn't torn, and it wants wrapped in sealed plastic.  In other words, there was nothing that would detract from this item being resold after it was repaired other than they would have to list it as "refurbished".

3 - My first encounter with Twisted Quarter was on eBay.  Every eBay auction states a 14 money back guarantee or exchange.  They have two conflicting return policies defined on the Internet.  Which one is it?  I was duped by the eBay policy.

I replied to Mike and told him I didn't want a return and I was prepared to take this to the forums and challenge the purchase with my credit card company.  He replied back and told me it was a free country and to do whatever I wanted.  He also said that they would hold my money and the monitor for 30 -45 days during the Visa investigation.  He said, "Go ahead, you will loose"  I was prepared to fight this because I think I would have won due to the conflicting web ads and the fact this was a phone order. 

I later get an email from Andrew directly that basically said I was a wretched customer.  I was profane and vulgar to his employee.  He also was upset that I would try to tarnish his "good name" on the forums and get the credit card company involved.  Well, yeah I would - This is $500 for an end of life product that has already shown itself to be a lemon.  In one of the emails, I told Mike to stop acting like a "dick" about the monitor being opened and used.  Yeah, I shouldn't have use the term "dick" but it wasn't like I was using F-bombs or cussing the guy out.  People are named Dick, so if that word offends you get thicker skin or train your employee not to get condescending in emails.

None the less, I am stuck.  Unfortunately,  I realized I used a debit card instead of regular credit card.  I normally use my AMEX but this time I got careless  :banghead: :angry: :badmood:

I have to accept the monitor as a repair.  I now know why they picked their name - Twisted Quarter.  They have a twisted return policy and every Quarter as two sides.  Apparently there is the eBay Twisted Quarter and there is the "real" Twisted Quarter.  Different prices, policies, and standards.  If you are so inclined to buy from them, then do so on eBay.  However, after reading this I hope you spend your money elsewhere.  I would highly recommend Bob Roberts, Paradise Arcade, or Focus Attack.  Great sellers with integrity.  Buyer beware with Twisted Quarter.

Chris
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 10:32:04 am by csnow »

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
Re: Twisted Quarter - Buyer Beware
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:29:44 am »
Sorry that happened to you, you are right to feel ripped off and right to call them out. Calling someone a dick when they are being a dick doesn't mean you don't deserve decent customer service. This isn't a joystick spring, this is a $500 monitor.

Sounds like Jim was the bringer of good news... I hope the chargeback fixes your problem.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:53:10 am »
By the time I go through the trouble, it just isn't worth it.  If you read the terms on eBay, it says a 30% restocking fee on opened electronics.  Sadly, I will probably lose the challenge or have to pay a restocking fee.  I am not going to eat 30% of $500.  I would rather put it in the trash than to give Andrew another dime of my money.  I can always sell it or maybe it will work great once I get the return.  I failed to do my due diligence.  At least others will know what I didnt.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 11:03:26 am by csnow »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:51:33 am »
I had a recent TQ order missing a part, but Andrew made it right and paid for shipping. I'd order from him anytime.

Having said that, it honestly sounds like you made it an ugly situation. Calling people ---Deutsche Frankfurters--- and threatening to take it to the forums isn't how you get things done. You have every right to file a chargeback, and I would have done it 5 minutes ago, but if I were Andrew and someone called my employee a dick, I might hold tight to my return policy as a matter of principle as well. He offered to fix it for you and was willing to cover shipping- sounds fair to me.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »
I totally agree with you, PBJ, but to me it sounds more like 'buyer's remorse' than 'buyer beware'. Rather than make Internet tough guy threats, he should have called Andrew directly. I bet he could have gotten something resolved.

And yes, csnow, call the bank. You have that protection.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 12:29:05 pm »
Jim,

I already called the bank.  They have to wait 15 days to do anything and no promises.  Just what I figured with Wells Fargo/debit card.  AMEX doesnt play around, that is why I usually use them.  It is a waste of time.  Not the first bad decision I have made.  It is what it is.

Yotsuya,

Your are welcome to spend your money where you please.  If you want to send TQ your whole paycheck, knock yourself out.  I am sure if you just spent $500 on a lemon that is no longer in production you might think differently.  This wasn't a joystick or button.  I bought this monitor because Andrew said supplies were limited,and he wouldn't have any more in until December.  I was on the fence due to the price, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the phone.  Once I get it, it is broken.  Now I find out there isn't limited quantities, there are NO quantities.  Big difference wouldn't you say?  Then I find out Andrew has loaded up on parts.  Not turning into a good picture.  Had I know that in the beginning, I wouldn't have bought this monitor at all.   After thinking on it over the evening, I didnt want a replacement with an end of life product.  If these were items that were still in current production, I would accept the exchange. So yeah, it is buyer's remorse and buyer beware.

Calling Mike a dick wasnt called for, but it didn't hurt my cause.  They had no intention of giving my money back even if I told him he was as handsome as Brad Pitt and as smart as Einstein.  Therefore, I called it as I saw it. 

As far as threatening to bring it to the forums, that is the right thing to do.  This may save someone from going through what I am going through.  Andrew seems like a decent guy.  Why he wants to draw the line in the sand on this and lose not only me as a customer but others as a customer is beyond me.  He said these things were selling like hot cakes.  Why take the bad PR over this?  I received a dud and found out it was end of life.  You cant fault me for wanting my money back after knowing the whole story.  This isnt about being an Internet tuff guy as you like to call it....lol

Maybe you are 100% right and I am the dick here.  I can live with that......  Jim let's get together for a beer since we are in the same town.  Then you can report back if I am the problem here :)

Chris
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:32:51 pm by csnow »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 12:34:30 pm »
Chris-

I hope it works out for you, I really do. $500 is a lot of money. But I think you probably should have handled it differently. If you had spent $500 and nothing was shipped, or you got an obviously used one instead of a new one, I could understand a forum warning.  :dunno

Anyway, good luck with it. Did you file the chargeback?

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:43 pm »
Thanks man.  I did file a charge back but they wont take any action for 15 days.  In other words, they wont do any action until I call back and let them know it couldnt be resolved with the seller.  Same crap PayPal does....it is useless.  I will just take the replacement and move on.

I didnt get the sense that it would go in my favor with the bank rep due to them having a posted policy even though it was a phone order.  Sad because I have a huge amount stored in the Wells Fargo coffers.  It is what it is.  Maybe I got the rare dud.  Andrew did say on the phone he hasnt had a bad unit yet.  Andrew was fair in the fact the he offered to fix it.  I just didnt get the whole story when I bought it.  I already had a working CRT but I wanted to ditch it because I didnt want to deal with it dying one day.  The last thing I wanted was another end of life product.  If I get a functioning monitor I will just install it or sell it.  I received and email from Andrew this morning stating they eBay requires a different policy so they do indeed have different return policies.  If you buy from TQ, go through eBay.  Maybe I will get the monitor back and will think it is the best thing since sliced bread.  We will see......

I am very pleased with the other monitor I got from them.  It is a shame it ended this way.   I was planning on ordering some other items from them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 12:48:06 pm by csnow »

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 01:14:30 pm »
Update  - Issue resolved.

After an ugly phone conversation, where I was threatened by Andrew with a lawsuit over slander from this post, this ordeal is over.  I accepted a return with 18% restocking fee with the agreement that I will never purchase from them again.  Needless to say, I am not happy about $60 in total shipping fees and an 18% restocking fee but lesson learned.  It would have cost me more than 18% for Paypal and eBay fees to resell it, so I will cut my losses.

As far as never purchasing from them again....I kinda think that is obvious.  I guess we wont be exchanging Christmas cards this year.  I am banned from the TQ for life.  Just more info for you to consider when you make your next purchase decision. 

Case closed  :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:25:55 pm by csnow »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 01:40:44 pm »
I was threatened by Andrew with a lawsuit over slander from this post,

I don't think slander means what they think it means.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:44:50 pm »
I was threatened by Andrew with a lawsuit over slander from this post,

I don't think slander means what they think it means.

IAL - Internet Attorney at Law.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 01:51:01 pm by csnow »

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 30, 2012, 01:52:38 pm
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 02:26:12 pm »
Sorry, but you're the dick here.  I've purchased many things from Twisted Quarter, to the point where I check them first instead of HAPP.  Their prices on the same items are WAY lower, and they always get me my stuff in a hurry.

Are the reps sometimes ---Deutsche Frankfurters---, whether intentionally or not?  Yes.  I think these guys feel like they're doing the world a favor by being in business, and in terms of giving us the supplies we need at much lower prices than HAPP, I find it hard to disagree.  I can't say the folks at HAPP have been terribly helpful either, and the HAPP rep I seem to keep getting is just a curmudgeon that can't be bothered unless he can take a trip to Tahiti on your commission alone.

Still, you had me laughing from your very first post.  An "end of life product with limited support"???  Excuse me, but when in the world of holy hell does anyone in the MAME community give two rips about an "end of life product" OR "limited support"?!!!  I've seen people post stuff like "I want a front-end that's still being supported/updated", and that's just as ridiculous.  Do I wish the dude who developed Maximus Arcade would either resume selling registrations or just unlock the damn thing?  YES!  This is not one of those situations, though.

You are building a MAME cabinet... a dedicated piece of hardware.  Sure, it has a PC inside and people never stop upgrading those things.  I also get that there are some people who constantly tweak and update their cabinets once they're built.  Still... seriously?  The manufacturer JUST stopped making them.  There are people here with CRTs in their cabinets that are 30 years old.  I just can't believe there's someone so worried about an LCD that has just been discontinued that they insist on a refund instead of having it repaired and returned to them on the company's dime.

Believe me, I completely understand that getting a dud when you thought you'd have a new shiny is beyond disappointing.  Just don't try to make it the vendor's fault when it's you who got gun shy about the item.  Do you not plan to keep your cab LONG after the warranty expires on all the other components and they're no longer made?  Are you seriously going to rebuild it every year with brand-new components?  If so, have at it.  It's just way out of the norm for a MAME project where THE WHOLE IDEA is playing "end of life" games with NO support!  If I had to just play stuff I knew was still being supported, I'd go get an iCade and an iPad and only play what's on Atari's Greatest Hits.

Look at where you are now... you don't have your new shiny, you've pissed off an entire company, and you're one down on suppliers for obscure specialized items YOU MAY NEED ONE DAY just because someone who was trying to help you didn't give you everything you wanted.  If you thought you regretted making that purchase, I really think that the decisions that followed are what you'll REALLY end up regretting.

Again, I have no vested interested in promoting TQ, and I've been pissed at them myself sometimes.  Still, the fact is that they've always come through and this is about what YOU wanted instead of what they were obligated to do.  They don't go out of their way to make their customers happy, so if that's what you've become used to I see where the problem is.  However, if you're going to be a big boy about things, the whole "buyer beware" nonsense is completely unnecessary.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:35:29 pm by MaxVolume »

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:42:41 pm »
hi
csnow
i have been watching this thread with an eye
and wanted to post,
eol--end of life is a trem used by mfg's
did u know BY LAW THEY ARE OLNY REQUIRED TO CARRY PART'S/ SUPPORT FOR 10 YEAR'S ??
did u also know a lcd will olny go 5 year's count them 4 finger's and a thumb that's 5
did u also know plasma will have burn in in less then 5 year's
where a normal crt can get about 10 year's before service
did u also know putter mobo's change every 6mth's ?
then they hit there eol ?  u would be lucky to get proper driver's
unless u went hp/dell but even that has a limt
food for thought
on a side note go buy a new car
guess what the magic # is :10:/washer/dryer/stove all the same
u want a life span for eveything ? u are thinking wrong
just my 2%

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:58:18 pm »
I don't think he really cares about the support that much, but just wanted the new product that he agreed on.  Can't fault him for that. 

He gave the seemingly full account for us, so I don't see him being a dick.  This is one of the great things about this site, that we know who the good and bad vendors are.  And this is where people should chime in saying their experiences with the vendor as well.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 02:59:05 pm »
Sorry, but you're the dick here. 

No. He bought something, it didn't work, and he wanted a refund. Nothing dickish about that.

TQ has an account here (he made it the last time someone complained) he should speak up for himself if he is so afraid of the forum's opinion.

I have seen two sides to this hobby concerning sourcing of parts... one is cab builders who will stick up for any vendor, regardless, because they may carry some sacred rare component. The other is normal people who expect professional business practices, no matter how niche a market this is. We need more of the latter.

And ed12, your posts are incoherent as usual. And just so you know, it is 2 cents, not 2 percent. Unless you mean how many rules of the English language you are following.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:01:01 pm by Well Fed Games »

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 03:00:22 pm »
MaxVolume I guess you wont be sending me a Christmas card either.  :dunno

First,  I am not building a MAME cabinet, so dont make assumptions.  I was building a PS3 based cabinet that would also do double duty with a heavy duty PC that is playing PCSX2 (PS2) emulation and modern fighters.  One little tid bit of information that I didnt share is that this is my second dead "arcade" LCD.  Two duds from two different sellers.  The first was an eBay purchase from a guy in Miami for my Galaga 60-1 conversion.  19" unit came in dead, I sent it back, and he refunded my money. 

That is how I found TQ, I bought their 19" and it worked great, so I went back for the 26" for my new project.  Now, I receive the 26" that is dead....hmmm   It appears all these "arcade" classified monitors are coming from crap contract manufactures in China/Thailand.  This is a niche market so the players are small time compared to the computer LCD makers like ASUS, Samsung, Accer, Dell, etc.  It appears quality control is a major problem.  Seems to be a reoccurring trend with these de-cased, overpriced LCDs.  So yeah, after getting a second dud I was done.  I dont think I am a rare exception but maybe I do have terrible luck.  It isnt the first time.  I remember cutting grass all summer to get a Commodore 64.  Walked into Kmart with my hard earned cash and picked the box in the middle of the display stack.  Guess what?  DOA.

I have been in IT for most of my adult career outside of my military service.  You know how many LCD computer monitors I have seen failed?  Zilch, zero, nadda, none!  A few dead pixels but never had a DOA one or any of our desktop guys report one dying.  In fact, we have to throw many of them away because we replace the older ones with larger screen sizes.  We dont have enough space to keep them all.  They never die.  I am done with these "Arcade" LCDs.

The other factor you are not considering is that once I modify my cabinet to accept a standard 27" monitor, they are all  approximately the same size.  They are typically within 1/4 to 1/2 inch regardless of models.  So if I do have one die, I remove the plexi-glass and drop another one in its place.  At most, I have to redo the bezel.  So no, I am not setting unrealistic expectations with the life cycle of my home units.  I am however practical and pragmatic.  This broken, bolt in 26" monitor was a behemoth.  If it dies, I have no parts available and I am back to square one. 

You do have some valid points.  Like I said, Andrew was fair with offering to repair it.  I have come accustomed to dealing with vendors like Amazon, New Egg, Tiger Direct, etc that will offer a refund on a defective item.  After my history with these "arcade" units, I was done.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Jim,

I spoke with the charge back department.  They do have a 15 day wait period.  I do agree in consumer right's and protecting our hard earned cash.

Ed,

I am very familiar with product life cycles.  The company I work for outsources a large portion of our manufacturing to contract manufactures in Kuala Lumpur, China, and Thailand.  My wife is also a product line manageer (PLM) so I am very familiar with spares, support, etc of EOL products.  It is that familiarity that made me want a refund.  Companies, especially CMs, will not store parts and will scrap inventory because it costs too much to store it. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:18:56 pm by csnow »

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 04:55:48 pm »
I gotta agree with cs on this one. I own a business, so does my wife. We work with the public all the time. Most of them are "---Deutsche Frankfurters---".  BUT, they are always correct. (whether we like it or not)  In this day and age you have to do what it takes to keep your customers. Period. If you don't they'll go down the road.

I do have to ask tho. Why in the hell would you pay $500 for a monitor that you were hooking up to a PC anyways? You can walk in and get a descent one damn near anywhere along with a warranty within the hour.  Plug & play for 1/4 -1/3 that price!

"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2012, 07:28:26 pm »
I gotta agree with cs on this one. I own a business, so does my wife. We work with the public all the time. Most of them are "---Deutsche Frankfurters---".  BUT, they are always correct. (whether we like it or not)  In this day and age you have to do what it takes to keep your customers. Period. If you don't they'll go down the road.

I do have to ask tho. Why in the hell would you pay $500 for a monitor that you were hooking up to a PC anyways? You can walk in and get a descent one damn near anywhere along with a warranty within the hour.  Plug & play for 1/4 -1/3 that price!

Haha, I love your Avatar.  IG-88 was my favorite Star Wars bounty hunter.  Very cool......

I was willing to pay $500, so I wouldnt have to modify my cabinet.  I had a stadium cabinet that I set out to "modify" and I ruined it and it ended up in a dumpster.  I was willing to take the "easy" route for a couple of extra hundred dollars for a nice clean perfect fit.  Well I just pissed away $160 with TQ with shipping and the restocking fee. I havent seen anything 1/4 or 1/3 but I have seen them about half of what I paid.  I was going to abandon this project completely but my wife wants me to finish it for the kids.   I am ordering a 27" Accer monitor on New Egg today.  My only consolation is that my $160 ends up costing him more than that in lost customers.  I wish I could have recorded the conversation and posted for all to hear.  He was really something else on the phone......

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »
Thanks for the props. IG was always my favorite too. He has his own short story in the Star Wars universe. Have you read it?

$160 lesson learned I would say.

Speaking of that number. Wallymart has a 26" for $160 right now. Off name brand but for that price what the hell. Not sure on your situation with your cab and mods you may have to do but I would go for a inexpensive TV and then if you had questions on how to get it mounted post here on the forums. I've used/seen everything from precision cut CNC frames to duct tape, glue and cardboard. Whatever works and looks descent.   ;D  These guys on here are pretty clever.

http://tinyurl.com/czsdz5o
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:44:04 pm by IG-88 »
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 12:14:44 pm »
First of all, I would never defend a bad merchant just because they might have a part I need.  I made sure to give my COMPLETE, honest opinion of TQ, warts and all.  Are they ideal?  No.  Did they try to help you but stopped short of what you preferred so you threw a tantrum... YES.

Secondly, you're splitting hairs.  Who the f*ck cares if it's not a MAME cabinet???  Dude, you're building something that is gonna be around for a while, unless you're just so fickle that you're gonna get bored with it and rebuild it with whatever console replaces the PS3, but would you actually take the extra step to replace the LCD if you did?

The bottom line is you wanted an LCD, the one you got didn't work, you were offered a repair, you said you didn't want it at all.  Make up your mind... do you WANT an LCD or not???  THAT's where being a dick comes in, not to mention your attitude with the rep who was actually trying to help you.

Someone else already nailed it... buyer's remorse.  So, you're still mourning your DOA C-64... tough crap.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 12:45:17 pm »
First of all, I would never defend a bad merchant just because they might have a part I need.  I made sure to give my COMPLETE, honest opinion of TQ, warts and all.  Are they ideal?  No.  Did they try to help you but stopped short of what you preferred so you threw a tantrum... YES.

Secondly, you're splitting hairs.  Who the f*ck cares if it's not a MAME cabinet???  Dude, you're building something that is gonna be around for a while, unless you're just so fickle that you're gonna get bored with it and rebuild it with whatever console replaces the PS3, but would you actually take the extra step to replace the LCD if you did?

The bottom line is you wanted an LCD, the one you got didn't work, you were offered a repair, you said you didn't want it at all.  Make up your mind... do you WANT an LCD or not???  THAT's where being a dick comes in, not to mention your attitude with the rep who was actually trying to help you.

Someone else already nailed it... buyer's remorse.  So, you're still mourning your DOA C-64... tough crap.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:   Do you like hearing yourself talk.  You made you point, go troll somewhere else.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 12:53:30 pm »
Actually, the funny part is that most LCDs are all made in the same factories...same as tires...same as golf clubs....same as high end BMX and MTB bikes....same as just about everything else.

Just get a computer monitor and be done with it.   Unless you're after that "look" of the old CRTs and can ONLY fit that in your cab for some reason, go with modern LCDs.  I don't know any more harsh of an environment than some of the manufacturing floors with LCDs running in dusty, vibration filled, EM radiated areas near some  gigantic CNC machine, etc...where I see "Dell" 19" monitors all purring away happily.

AJ

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 12:56:47 pm »
:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:   Do you like hearing yourself talk.  You made you point, go troll somewhere else.

I'm not trolling, dude... I just don't like having anyone unfairly maligned.  I know you probably thought this was gonna be a big circle jerk for people who had bad experiences with TQ, but not everyone has.  This being a free forum, I wanted to chime in with my opinion of where the problem actually was in this scenario.  Last time I checked, that was okay.

I'm not making a blanket statement here, just that in this particular instance I think you went too far.  I don't agree that your "end-of-life product" excuse holds water, but if it helps I completely understand the "how the heck do I know if it works if I don't open it???" argument.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 02:50:30 pm »
Understood Max -  :cheers:

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 02:58:19 pm »
Actually, the funny part is that most LCDs are all made in the same factories...same as tires...same as golf clubs....same as high end BMX and MTB bikes....same as just about everything else.

Just get a computer monitor and be done with it.   Unless you're after that "look" of the old CRTs and can ONLY fit that in your cab for some reason, go with modern LCDs.  I don't know any more harsh of an environment than some of the manufacturing floors with LCDs running in dusty, vibration filled, EM radiated areas near some  gigantic CNC machine, etc...where I see "Dell" 19" monitors all purring away happily.

AJ

I thought that too AJ but I am not so sure now.  This is the second de-cased "Arcade" monitor that came in DOA.  That was my main reason for buyer's remorse and why I wanted a refund.  I have never had a standard PC/computer LCD fail or come in DOA.  I don't think these niche "Arcade" monitors are being made by the same big players in the LCD industry.  No way to verify my assumptions but I feel better with my decision to move to a standard computer monitor. 

MaxVolume

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 03:13:22 pm »
Understood Max -  :cheers:

Wait... that's not Tamarind Jarritos in those mugs, is it?  :puke  Hope it's yummy Jarritos cola!  :drool

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:24 pm »
Wanting a refund isn't unreasonable.

Name calling and threatening to take it to the forums before the seller has a reasonable chance to respond isn't particularly reasonable.

Your money and you can react the way you want, but there is a reason why sellers have "won't sell to lists" and share info about antagonistic buyers.

And pretty much ALL CRTs are end of life right now, aren't they ?
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 11:01:32 pm »
For anyone still following this, TQ did not refund my money or send me a replacement after having the returned product for 20 days.  Bank issued a refund to me and is taking action against TQ.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2012, 09:25:18 pm »
For anyone still following this, TQ did not refund my money or send me a replacement after having the returned product for 20 days.  Bank issued a refund to me and is taking action against TQ.

Thanks for update... so you got full refund in the end (from bank)? Glad to hear it, stinks TQ left you hanging.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2012, 08:26:56 pm »
It is a provisional refund pending investigation.  Not sure how I could lose at this point, but who knows.

twistedquarter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2013, 04:18:05 pm
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2012, 11:10:46 am »
Good Morning , to all that is interesed in Our side of this story . THis is Andrew at Twisted Quarter . If anyone cares to read this then please do so . We ship Mr snow a monitor  and after he had it a few days he call me and said it was not working , I told hime to send it back and we would repair or replace it as necessary.. and that this series monitor from Makvision is no longer being made but we do have  parts for them if needed ( we always have parts for any monitor we import just in case ) I also told mr snow we would cover his shipping cost back to us if it was deemed defective and send him another or his back repaired ...He was very happy with that ...Then 2 days later he called us cursing and swearing at  on of my emploees . there was no reason for this . He was like acrazy person on the phone, making tons of threats , threaten he was going to do charge back ...ect. He blammed us  because he sold his 25 " crt monitor already and now has no monitor ...I called Mr snow back and assured him that as aggreed we would replace are repair .. He started cursing at me and threaten to ruin my bussiness and post all over the internet that we ripped him  off.. At this point there was no reason to keep this going on .. I explained to him if he wanted a refund  that we would give him a refund less the shipping charges but he would never be allowed to purchase fro us again for the way he acted towards me pesronally and my employees .

Now moving fowards . we did get the monitor back , less the mounting brackets and bezel  ,,,So I guess in Mr snows mind these we free for hime to keep , he wanted a full refund now but didnt return all the parts ....( can provide an invoice for any one that would like to see)  and on furthur review of the Monitor, the maginet on the back has been broken of in two peices ( no way to tell how this happened these are not common the break ) ...

So in 14 years in bussiness , we have never refussed a refund and have always stood behind our parts , yes there are always customers that are not happy , no matter what , but we do try our best ... and im most cases more than others do  . But once you start threating us about charge backs  and no returning parts ...we are only left to few options..

At this point , we cannot do a refund since he filled a charge back , and he still has not returned all the parts ... the monitor is repaired and works 100% fine ...

So ....if he had not acted the way he did , he would of had his monitor back , but he sent it back for a repair or replacement , then went nuts....and bashed us on the internet and filed a charge back ......there is no winners here .....Just my side of the story ...If any one has any questions feel free to contact me  at 941-745-8400 ....andrew Twisted Quarter Inc, 

twistedquarter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2012, 11:34:10 am »
Just to follow up , Sorry we do not get to this forum much , we are realy busy , we do ship 150 + orders a day ...And I am a full beleiver that everyone has a right to there opion good or bad ...so I normally do not get involved in all the he said she said stuff ...but when you bash my bussiness I strated with 8 parts 14 years agao  and try like heel to provide  high quality parts and lower prices than the big boys ...then i get mad ...Mr snows last thread says we never fixed it or refunded his money ...After his rants and threats he did want it back ...we were going to give him the refund  ( please read our earlier reply) but he filled a charge back and still has not returned all the items to get a full refund ....can do a refund while there is a charge back investagion going on ....and even if he loses we still we refund his money if he returns parts ... Mr snow mad this the way it has become ...We are not out to cheat or steal....Andew Twisted Quarter

twistedquarter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2012, 11:55:48 am »
Hi Jim, not sure If we know you or not , But What we have said is 100 % true ...Just wanted to defend my bussiness ...also once this is resloved we will have a 26" makvision lcd monitor repaired with full warranty  for 15% off cost .....andrew

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2012, 12:16:58 pm »
So, how much for the monitor?   :cheers:

AJ

twistedquarter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »
cannot sell it to this is resloved but , it would be 399.00  thats 100.00 off list ..... it will be an open package /repair item but still has a full 1 year warranty .....andrew @ twisted quarter

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 11:17:13 pm »
Does it come with a free bezel and free mounting brackets?   ;D

Just wanted to add my experiences.... I have never had a problem with Twisted Quarter!  I have ordered from them a couple times in the past and I currently have 2 orders on the way!  No problems whatsoever, and I would recommend them to anyone looking for parts!  Unfortunately, people don't always post when they's had positive experiences with a merchant.... Seems like you only get to read about the train wrecks!  :dunno

jennifer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2023, 06:24:58 am
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 12:58:50 am »
   +1 for the T/C.... Jen wishes he would put little candy treats in with his shipped orders though.

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2012, 09:31:05 am »
Good Morning , to all that is interesed in Our side of this story . THis is Andrew at Twisted Quarter . If anyone cares to read this then please do so . We ship Mr snow a monitor  and after he had it a few days he call me and said it was not working , I told hime to send it back and we would repair or replace it as necessary.. and that this series monitor from Makvision is no longer being made but we do have  parts for them if needed ( we always have parts for any monitor we import just in case ) I also told mr snow we would cover his shipping cost back to us if it was deemed defective and send him another or his back repaired ...He was very happy with that ...Then 2 days later he called us cursing and swearing at  on of my emploees . there was no reason for this . He was like acrazy person on the phone, making tons of threats , threaten he was going to do charge back ...ect. He blammed us  because he sold his 25 " crt monitor already and now has no monitor ...I called Mr snow back and assured him that as aggreed we would replace are repair .. He started cursing at me and threaten to ruin my bussiness and post all over the internet that we ripped him  off.. At this point there was no reason to keep this going on .. I explained to him if he wanted a refund  that we would give him a refund less the shipping charges but he would never be allowed to purchase fro us again for the way he acted towards me pesronally and my employees .

Now moving fowards . we did get the monitor back , less the mounting brackets and bezel  ,,,So I guess in Mr snows mind these we free for hime to keep , he wanted a full refund now but didnt return all the parts ....( can provide an invoice for any one that would like to see)  and on furthur review of the Monitor, the maginet on the back has been broken of in two peices ( no way to tell how this happened these are not common the break ) ...

So in 14 years in bussiness , we have never refussed a refund and have always stood behind our parts , yes there are always customers that are not happy , no matter what , but we do try our best ... and im most cases more than others do  . But once you start threating us about charge backs  and no returning parts ...we are only left to few options..

At this point , we cannot do a refund since he filled a charge back , and he still has not returned all the parts ... the monitor is repaired and works 100% fine ...

So ....if he had not acted the way he did , he would of had his monitor back , but he sent it back for a repair or replacement , then went nuts....and bashed us on the internet and filed a charge back ......there is no winners here .....Just my side of the story ...If any one has any questions feel free to contact me  at 941-745-8400 ....andrew Twisted Quarter Inc,

Just to follow up , Sorry we do not get to this forum much , we are realy busy , we do ship 150 + orders a day ...And I am a full beleiver that everyone has a right to there opion good or bad ...so I normally do not get involved in all the he said she said stuff ...but when you bash my bussiness I strated with 8 parts 14 years agao  and try like heel to provide  high quality parts and lower prices than the big boys ...then i get mad ...Mr snows last thread says we never fixed it or refunded his money ...After his rants and threats he did want it back ...we were going to give him the refund  ( please read our earlier reply) but he filled a charge back and still has not returned all the items to get a full refund ....can do a refund while there is a charge back investagion going on ....and even if he loses we still we refund his money if he returns parts ... Mr snow mad this the way it has become ...We are not out to cheat or steal....Andew Twisted Quarter

Andrew you are a liar....period.    I never called anyone up cussing and yelling.  You were the one who called me; all of my correspondence was done via email with you.  In fact, you called me 6 times in a 3 minute period.  I had to leave a conference call because you were being rather persistent in a creepy way.   Your call was in response to my last email stating I would take this to the forums.  The only cussing I did was when I told your employee Mike to stop acting like a dick in an email for which I have already mentioned and apologized.  That is a far cry from being irate and yelling. 

You on the other hand were a total jerk on the phone when I finally answered.  I see you failed to mention threatening me with legal action (which just shows your ignorance on legal matters), telling me you would simply return the broken monitor to me so it would cost me more shipping money, how the monitor probably wasnt broken in the first place or I was an idiot and didnt know how to hook it up, or random other rubish that came spewing out of your mouth.  At least you publicly admitted the monitor was indeed a dud.  Yes, I did tell you I would involve the credit card company but that wasn't a threat.  It was a last resort as a consumer who was dealing with a bad merchant.  I also told you I would bring this to the forums.  I have been completely upfront about the entire ordeal.  Now you show up and want everyone to think you are the "good guy"

Second, the charge back is for $500 which is the cost of the monitor.  The total purchase price was $560.  The mounting bezel and the bracket were not worth returning after factoring in shipping.  They were also not part of the claim.  Get your facts straight Andrew and stop with the " I am the victim seller here".  Post up the invoice and the bank claim.  Gee Andrew, I am seeing a pattern here.  I would have never filed the charge back had you refunded the money.  You had the monitor in your possession for 16 days, verified it was broken, yet you never contacted me or refunded the money.  Here is the FedEx tracking number for all to view.  Check the dates folks and cross reference the date of the shipment and the arrival of the package with the start date of this thread.  FedEx - 807422215090358 

You sit on the return for half a month after receiving it and took no action after you agree to the refund, so I contacted the credit card company.  Wow, I guess that makes me a really bad guy and a criminal.  You also didnt agree to a full refund Andrew - another lie.  You wanted to gouge me with a ridiculous return percentage.  So why havent you refunded the money yet Andrew?  If you want the bezel and the mount returned, I can have that in the mail today as long as you refund the entire $560.  Or, you can send me another working, brand new monitor.  I am tired of dealing with your lies and half-truths.  I am calling you out here and now.  Send me the monitor or refund the money.  Post your decision for all to see Andrew.

And to set the record straight, this was my 3rd purchase with TQ.  Another monitor that works fine and a molex tool. 

Chris
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:47:39 am by csnow »

csnow

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2012, 10:39:53 am »
Yeah, I know.  I just love how this guy wants to play the victim.  I cant wait for him to answer the community as to why he didn't refund the money after receiving and verifying the monitor was broken.  The monitor got there on 8/21.  The bank claim (for the purchase price of the monitor only) wasn't initiated until 9/6.  He had 16 days - over half a month to give me a refund.  Common Andrew......speak up.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:43:20 am by csnow »

twistedquarter

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2012, 02:23:21 pm »
Jim , speaking up for you .....We have not refunded the money since we still dont have all the parts back ... he return the monitor for a repair or replacement ...then he changed his mind and want a refund ...IT CLEARLY staes no refund on electronic items ...they are repaired or replaced ...Simple as that ...BUT after CHRIS started curseing at my employee MIKE and calling him things LIKE D__ICK HEAD ... and being a total ass we told him we would give him his money back and he is blocked from everybuying againg .....And that goes for our e-bay store , or web site, and the 2 other companies that we drop ship parts for ...THis guy was such and ass . Once we got the monitor back , all the parts were no there , the brackets were missing , the bezel was missing , So how are supposed to give a full refund and he gets to keep the parts he wants .....BULL CRAP>>>> .... THen he files a Charge back ... so IT now sits here till his bank makes a decesion .....IF he wins great  he is gone out of my life ...If WE win , THen I will refund him the money due less the parts he kept ...And this is what gets me so pissed off ..ANYBODY out there that knows me knows that I will bend over backwards .....But when we talk and you agree to have it repaired or replaced  ...then you slam us...claim you never said any of that ...blah blah blah .....FOR $ 500.00 do you think I have time for this ....bottom line... 1. We offered to repair or replace them monitor and credit him for shipping charges back , he agreed . 2. HE sent the monitor back to us ...them changed his mind and wanted a FULL REFUND , but keep parts . 3. By the time we got it back and had time to inspect it ...Someone give hime the bright idea to file a charge back ...So now it sits here till it is resolved ....PERIOD ....I am done playing this lets see what Twisted Quarter says about this .... Any body that has ever dealt with us knows we are stand up and sell only quality parts and ship fast ....NOBODY has ever gotten screwed by TWISTED QUARTER....and we should of just stuck to our policy and said no it is a repair or excahnge .....and we would not of been here today ....bottom line BUYERS REMORSE is not a warranty item .... I am done and will not be replaying to this any longer ... You can beleive what ever side of the story you choose ... AND IF ANYONE DOES NOT BELEIVE WE ARE A FAIR AND HONEST COMPANY THEN THERE ARE SEVERAL OTHER PLACES TO BUY PARTS FROM....WE DO THIS TO KEEP THE GAMES GOING ....NOT BY ANY MEANS DO i GET RICH DOING THIS ..MY INVESTMENTS KEEP ME HAPPY  ...AND THIS IS FUN...BUT WHEN IT IS NO LONGER FUN I WILL CLOSE IT DOWN ....AND DEALING WITH TYPE OF B.S. MAKES NOT VERY FUN .......ANDREW @ TWISTED QUARTER  941-745-8400