Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Starting GroovyMAME w/ ArcadeVGA3000 + Makvision  (Read 2602 times)

TJCOMBO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 14, 2013, 01:28:24 pm
Starting GroovyMAME w/ ArcadeVGA3000 + Makvision
« on: August 15, 2012, 10:02:00 am »
I have my card and Makvision monitor installed.  I have been having a few problems with the official MAME release and I want to get this running later tonight.  Sorry if this has been asked before, but do I just put my rom folder and run GroovyMAME with zero configuration and I will be good to go? 

krick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
Re: Starting GroovyMAME w/ ArcadeVGA3000 + Makvision
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 05:22:26 pm »
You should be able to drop the GroovyMAME exe file in your MAME folder and go.

If you have an existing mame ini file, you should back that up and create a new ini file by running...

groovymame.exe -cc

...then you can make any changes to the new ini that you see fit.

Since the hard-coded resolutions for an ArcadeVGA 3000 cannot be changed (at least on Windows), you don't need to (and shouldn't) run VMMaker or install CRT_EmuDriver.

GroovyMAME will just do the best it can with whatever resolutions it sees reported from Windows after installing the Ultimarc ArcadeVGA driver.

I think that's it.  I'm sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if I forgot anything.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

TJCOMBO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 06:21:52 pm »
Thanks buddy. That's what I thought from a previous thread but I wanted to ask and confirm.  I tried to test run it on a computer monitor but I got an error initialization message.  Sounds like a very simple setup and I am eager to hook up the trisync and give it a whirl tomorrow.  Ill report the results soon!

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 08:41:26 am »
Thanks buddy. That's what I thought from a previous thread but I wanted to ask and confirm.  I tried to test run it on a computer monitor but I got an error initialization message.  Sounds like a very simple setup and I am eager to hook up the trisync and give it a whirl tomorrow.  Ill report the results soon!

Are you by any chance using Windows 7?
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

TJCOMBO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 01:20:19 pm »
WIN7 64x is that bad??

mamenewb100

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 01, 2022, 03:32:29 pm
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 04:38:33 pm »
WIN7 64x is that bad??

It is a problem on regular 15 Khz only arcade monitors using interlaced resolutions like 640x480. Take a look at this thread: forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104323.0
Life is a Game and we are all being Played.

TJCOMBO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:22:42 pm »
WIN7 64x is that bad??

It is a problem on regular 15 Khz only arcade monitors using interlaced resolutions like 640x480. Take a look at this thread: forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=104323.0

I have a tri-sync Makvision 15-25-31khz so I assume Win 7 should present no issues when run at 31khz on desktop.  When I ran GroovyMAME on a regular computer monitor to check it out, I got an error message.  However, that error is probably due to running it on a regular computer monitor.  I am hooking the tri-sync up after work and running it to see what happens.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 05:55:59 pm »
That error message is innocuous, it's only that GM can't access the usual registry key it would find in Win XP, so it just complains. Now, that happens because you're probably double-clicking on the executable. You're not supposed to lauch GM that way, you either launch it from command-line or from a properly configured frontend.

I would definitely use Windows XP 64-bit instead of Windows 7 for serious CRT stuff. That said, try to get things working in Win 7, and please report back if you succeed.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

TJCOMBO

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:29:50 pm »
That error message is innocuous, it's only that GM can't access the usual registry key it would find in Win XP, so it just complains. Now, that happens because you're probably double-clicking on the executable. You're not supposed to lauch GM that way, you either launch it from command-line or fromp

a properly configured frontend.

I would definitely use Windows XP 64-bit instead of Windows 7 for serious CRT stuff. That said, try to get things working in Win 7, and please report back if you succeed.

You were correct.  I appreciate your help.  I wasn't running it from the command prompt.