Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Virtua Fighter 3 Deluxe Monitor - Advice needed.  (Read 2179 times)

-UnitMonster-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2012, 01:18:56 pm
Virtua Fighter 3 Deluxe Monitor - Advice needed.
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:51:52 pm »
Anyone know anyone capable of repairing a CRT Rear Projection 50 inch Mitsu monitor in Southwest Wisconsin? I have called every TV and electronics repair shop around and they all said "nope". Any ideas?

So far, it won't power up and the fuses look good.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 05:14:45 pm by -UnitMonster- »

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:29:58 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: Monitor Repair in Wisconsin?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 08:12:53 pm »
really, don't bother. I know it cost you $4000 back in the day, and you have a sentimental attachment to it....If it was an LCD progection tv, maybe...

but in a world of sub $1000 50/60" LCD screens and sub 600 plasmas It's not even worth the gas to drive it somewhere to have it fixed.

beyond a blown fuse you are already looking at more than it's worth.

SIDESTORY:

I picked up an 42" plasma recently for $150.

-UnitMonster-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:19:51 pm »
I got it for dirt cheap and debating on how much, if any, money I am going to put into it. It's in decent condition though.

I did a little more troubleshooting. It's a vs50-se1 monitor. The pedestal connects to the monitor base and the power plug comes out the back of the monitor. When all hooked together, absolutely nothing has power. Where do I look? There is a fuse on the back of the monitor that looks fine. Any other places with fuses?

-UnitMonster-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »
I finally have it working. It is a Virtua Fighter 3 Deluxe 50 inch Cab. Everything seems fine with the exception that it needs some minor calibration adjustments. My biggest concern is that it is very dim. I have the brightness turned all the way up, but you would still need to play it in a dark room. What are the cures for this? Are the tubes worn out?

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
Re: Virtua Fighter 3 Deluxe Monitor - Advice needed.
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 05:39:33 pm »
Yes, the tubes are probably worn out.  RP-CRTs have the tubes run rather hard, so they burn and age quickly.

Also, counterintuitively, turning up "brightness" won't actually make it brighter.  It'll just make black look like gray and make the image look "washed out".  The control you probably want to turn up is "contrast".

-UnitMonster-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 05:46:06 pm »
Yes, the tubes are probably worn out.  RP-CRTs have the tubes run rather hard, so they burn and age quickly.

Also, counterintuitively, turning up "brightness" won't actually make it brighter.  It'll just make black look like gray and make the image look "washed out".  The control you probably want to turn up is "contrast".

Ah...ok.

These are some pics of the tubes turned on. I can barely see a glimmer.

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »
The neck of the tube isn't supposed to be very bright.  All you're seeing is the glow from the heaters.  They're supposed to get hot - they just glow a dull orange as a side effect of being hot.  The light that makes up the image(s) is generated at the face of the tube.

It doesn't look too dim given your last picture of the face of the screen.  These things were never overly bright.  They were designed for use in darkened environments, after all.  Yours probably also has plenty of hours on it, so it'll be dim.  Properly adjusting it should help some.

Also, is that a clip lead on the neck board for the center tube!?

-UnitMonster-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »
The neck of the tube isn't supposed to be very bright.  All you're seeing is the glow from the heaters.  They're supposed to get hot - they just glow a dull orange as a side effect of being hot.  The light that makes up the image(s) is generated at the face of the tube.

It doesn't look too dim given your last picture of the face of the screen.  These things were never overly bright.  They were designed for use in darkened environments, after all.  Yours probably also has plenty of hours on it, so it'll be dim.  Properly adjusting it should help some.

Also, is that a clip lead on the neck board for the center tube!?

I'm pretty much a noob. I can follow directions, but unfortunately, I just don't know anything about monitors.

In the last few minutes, I had adjusted the monitor options and have them set optimally. I adjusted the contrast and got a little more brightness and clarity too. I am starting to think your right and this was always just a darker monitor.

-UnitMonster-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 06:04:46 pm »
I am also having a little trouble reading the text in the corners like names and such. I have played around with the settings and the bets I can do is having them kind of readable. The text in the center of the screen is focused just fine. Any tips?

And where can I find a Component Cable YPBPR to 4-line BNC RGBS converter? I'd like to hook my CoinOPS Xbox up to it. I have found every converter, but this one.

MonMotha

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 07:15:16 pm »
Unfortunately, RP-CRTs are some of the hardest monitors to work on.  They're very complicated beasts.

Edge/corner quality on an RP-CRT set is typically only meh at best.  Is it fully out of focus (blurry) or is it a convergence problem (red, green, and blue not lining up)?  Fixing this may not be worth the hassle.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to rip all the CRT stuff out and drop a DLP or similar in.  If you're willing to put up with (or even want) widescreen format, you can probably pick up a plasma with comparable width for a couple hundred bucks, too.  These RP-CRT arcade monitors are old and have seen a lot of hours.  They're all pretty tired.

As for the conversion device you're looking for, it is commonly called a "transcoder".  You need to convert from YPbPr to RGB colorspace and strip the sync off luma.  There are devices out there that do this, but I don't know of any fully integrated solutions off the top of my head.  Many of them are full digital scalers and introduce lag, but the conversion can be done without doing that.

-UnitMonster-

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 07:34:17 pm »
Unfortunately, RP-CRTs are some of the hardest monitors to work on.  They're very complicated beasts.

Edge/corner quality on an RP-CRT set is typically only meh at best.  Is it fully out of focus (blurry) or is it a convergence problem (red, green, and blue not lining up)?  Fixing this may not be worth the hassle.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to rip all the CRT stuff out and drop a DLP or similar in.  If you're willing to put up with (or even want) widescreen format, you can probably pick up a plasma with comparable width for a couple hundred bucks, too.  These RP-CRT arcade monitors are old and have seen a lot of hours.  They're all pretty tired.

As for the conversion device you're looking for, it is commonly called a "transcoder".  You need to convert from YPbPr to RGB colorspace and strip the sync off luma.  There are devices out there that do this, but I don't know of any fully integrated solutions off the top of my head.  Many of them are full digital scalers and introduce lag, but the conversion can be done without doing that.

Thanks for the info! And I have been strongly thinking about dropping in another TV like a DLP or LCD. I just wanna plan it properly before I make any big decisions. I do want to make this into a CoinOPS cab eventually and also keep my options open for any future projects.

As for the edge/cornering...It's semi-blurry with convergence issues. I would describe it as "meh at best". It's not too bothersome. I just can't read fighters names and such. I think I have it set as good as it's gonna get right now.