Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: thinking about updating  (Read 1782 times)

3dmacman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 24, 2010, 01:34:30 pm
  • Gaming, its a way of life.
thinking about updating
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:03:44 pm »
I have an old rom set about .69 I think, I used clrpro to update a long time ago to play on mame .79. I tried to use .94 and half of the classic stuff just would not work, so I went back to .79, now I noticed some stuff like wwf wrestle fest and superstars and some neo geo games just don't work. I can live without some of these games but noticed some newer stuff like capcom vs snk chaos is playable now. Would it worth the time to update now, and if so seeing how I have such an old set would I need to get a new whole set or just an updated set? I have dsl but at 16+ plus gigs seems I would have to dl this stuff for days. I want try some of the newer stuff, but I got to have my galaga! ;D

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
Re: thinking about updating
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 02:16:25 pm »
You go to the right place and you'll have those 16 GBs in no time.

Did you have to suffer through dial-up at any point? A few days for 16 GBs is nothing! Even at dial-up's fastest, try 56kbps, where it took an hour to get 20 MB if you were lucky.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:44:55 pm »
3d - you can't just use clrmamepro and it updates your files. You actually have to get the missing file complements and then it integrates them. (Kinda defeats the purpose, if you ask me. Of course, if you could just say 'update' my files, then no one would need to find romsets. Kinda funny.)
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 10:20:32 am »
Okay, after 8+ days I finally have a set of 127 files. my next question is this: I have mala and was wondering if I could run two versions of mame on it, such as mame .79 and mame .127, one for old school gaming ala galaga, and new school such as capcom vs snk or metal slug 5? Would I have to make a copy of my roms and downgrade those and store them in a seperate folder from the newest set? And how would I go about setting up Mala to select a certain rom to run in a certain version of mame?

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:41:27 am »
Yes, you can use multiple MAME emulators in mala.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81059.0

and yes, you'll want to keep your romset for whatever version of mame you're running.
All the details are in that link.  I think I'm using like 4 different versions at the moment!

3dmacman

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 01:29:27 pm »
I may need a little help, I am a graphic designer, not software engineer. First of all should I weed out the non playable roms for the old mame, then in a second folder install the new roms that would work with the new mame? Just trying to think this thing out loud. And how would I set up a bat file to find these roms in separate folders and list these roms in one list, and make mala launch the bat file?

NOP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 19, 2017, 08:22:27 pm
  • I stole my avatar.
    • winterMAME
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 03:10:22 pm »
Here's what I'd do:

Since you've got roms for .127, give the oldskool games a shot on MAME 127-you just might find that the newer builds work just as fine as the old ones. most of it depends on your CPU power.  You might never look back from here onward.

Make your game list with either malaGameList or ROMLister - Put all the games you want into that list, although ideally, you'd only have a list of games that are actually playable on your machine (ie, no trackball? don't have centipede in your list)  Romlister will help with that.

Then, playtest your .127 MAME+romset.  If you find that mame 127 doesn't play a game as well as your old .79 did, then you have to intercept the launch section of when MALA tries to kick off MAME.  That's the stuff that is described in that link.  Essentially you tell mala to launch mame.bat not mame.exe.  Then in mame.bat, you examine the name of the game that is about to be launched.  At that point you can do anything you want, including switching to a different folder to launch a different version of MAME.

So you would have your folders set up like this:

c:\mame    <- your .127 mame goes here
c:\mame\roms <- your .127 roms go here
c:\mame\mala <- mala itself goes here
c:\mame\79  <- your old copy of mame .79 goes here
c:\mame\79\roms  <- your .79 roms go here

In your c:\mame\79\roms, copy only individual games that you want to "override" from being played on your .127 build.

The batch file then examines the game that is about to be played, sees if it's one you want to override.  If so, switches folders to where your old mame.exe is and launches mame.exe from there.

bloodyviking77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2010, 07:01:38 am
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 07:00:48 am »
If your machine runs the "new" stuff OK in .127 then I'd expect you'll be fine with the lot (with the possible exception of games with discrete sound).

I'm currently tossing up whether its worth updating my cab - which runs advancemame (.106) - mainly for the emulation improvements in Bubble Bobble. As there is no newer version of advmame, it means a switch to SDLmame (cab runs linux) and probably a switch to using X rather than framebuffer ...
Shut up! Bloody Vikings!!