Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: D9200 Yoke Hanging Loose. How to Secure?  (Read 3082 times)

dgame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 04, 2023, 06:00:54 pm
  • I am no Jedi
D9200 Yoke Hanging Loose. How to Secure?
« on: July 23, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
I finally got around to installing the working chassis on my 27” D9200.

It works but has major convergence issues so I checked the yoke and found this:

If I push it up by hand the picture gets nicer but I need a way to secure the yoke back into position.

The plastic piece that clamps on and holds the yoke is broken all the way around and thus the yoke can move freely.

So what could/should I do to repair that piece?

Try to use some kind of epoxy to reattach the plastic piece? This would require some kind of filler plastic as there is a gap around the neck where the plastic is gone.

Silicon glue the yoke into position? Goop up the back of the yoke and position it as it dries?

Any other ideas?

I have two of these tubes and the other one has a bonded yoke, but upon closer inspection I noticed a little burn in.
This one has the nicer looking tube. Will try the other one if all else fails.

Thanks!!!

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:40:51 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
Re: D9200 Yoke Hanging Loose. How to Secure?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 12:32:02 pm »
take a look at the neck part where the yoke is supposed to be clamped. (dirt or left over plastic) Try and align it with where it originally was. if not, pushing it as far forward (towards tube body) as you can. It should have wedges or other stoppers to keep it aligned.

I tried hot glue one time, but the neck area gets far too hot and the glue gets soft and the yoke shifts.

I removed the hot glue and used a combonation of hot glue and clear "silicone II" i think it's for bathrooms and other whatnots. haven't had any problems yet, but it couldn't hurt to maybe use an automotive type silicone, it's made for higher temps.

not only the convergence, but check the rotation...make sure it's nice and straight, if not you'll need to rotate the yoke slightly.

I got everything lined up pretty good and held in place with a small amount of hot glue, then used the silicone to hold it all together.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

So you think I should just position it and glue it up?

I can see almost exactly where it is supposed to go as the area below the spacers has no dust.

I also have the NEC test pattern software.

Off to get a hot glue gun.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:18:22 pm »
yeah, just tack it in place with a bit of hot glue and then check your alignment. That way, if it's not quite right you can still pull it off and try again.

once everything is set in place goop it up with some silicone. I wouldn't "fill" the area i would place 4 larger dollops up next to the body to help support the bell portion of the yoke. (top bottom left right) then some more on the tube neck where the yoke and the neck meet to fill in between the old yoke clamp and where parts left over on the yoke are. That should keep things from moving around on you once it's set.

keep the monitor off for at least 24 hours to make sure the silicone is cured...you don't want the hot glue holding things together to soften and the yoke to droop before the silicone has a chance to set.

The reason I say not to fill the area, is you still want some air to flow around the yoke to help cool it. This yoke/tube has a real problem with heat which is why some of them went to a bonded yoke.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:50 pm »
Cool,

I got home and tried the bonded yoke tube and got nothing.

So I put the tube with the hanging yoke back on and it works.

I got the glue gun, need to get some silicon adhesive from the auto parts store.

Thanks

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:44:05 pm »
that's weird. must be something wrong with the guns on it or something. if there was a yoke issue, it would have killed the chassis.

:dunno

goop it up

Rickn

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2020, 01:32:28 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:39 pm »
Need some clarification... by the plastic piece are you refering the the white plastic at the outside extermes of the yoke? When you saying push-up on the yoke, do you mean on the whole yoke or on the area where the copper windings are?
I have seen many Kortek monitors where the epoxy that bonds the black ferrrite core (that has the copper windings on) has become so hot that it has dried up and broken loose and fallen off. Your yoke looks like the exact one they used!
Do not use hot melt if it is on the ferrite core/ copper windings.. it will melt away. Try to find high temp epoxy or even muffler cement in that case. Tilt the iron core up, (for best convergence)  hold them in place with popsicle sticks. Apply the epoxy to the area, but do not seal the popsicle stick shims in place. Once dry remove the shims and add epoxy where they were.

Good luck

Rick
Always happy to help.., for the best in displays
Rick Nieman
Rick@Niemandisplays.com
www.niemandisplays.com
1023 Rife Rd Cambridge, Ontario Canada N1R5S3
519-621-1722

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 10:41:18 pm »
the core looks good, it appears where the yoke clamp holds it to the neck has broke away right in front of the clamp. Same as this one...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=101194.0

and yes the hot melt glue did prove to be too susceptible to heat to hold it in place.

/lazyupdatebastard

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »
Thanks for the link Ken. Gives me confidence in making the attempt. Never though I'd get this deep into the hobby, but it sure is fun learning new things.

lilshawn,

What do you think about what they did here:
FIX: what I have been doing is removing the monitor, and laying it face down on a piece of foam. I then reposition the yoke back as close as I can to where it was originally. Then I goop the hell out of where it is broken with hot glue. Or silicone sealant might be a better choice. I see no other solution other than replacing the entire yoke.

I'm thinking that I could position and tack down the yoke at the four adjuster feet with the hot glue and then put it on its face and silicon glue it up. Then let it cure face-down for a few days.

I won't glue around the whole yoke like you suggested below. Four blobs to support the yoke at the bell and some to support the yoke at the neck leaving room for airflow.

I've never used hot glue before, should I use it to do four blobs (for the tacks) at the bell instead of on top of  the adjuster feet?

Is it okay to leave the CRT face down for a few days while it cures?

Thanks!!!

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 06:26:08 pm »
i'd do all the hot gluing in the cabinet (or out if your cords will reach) That way you can power it up and check the alignment and whatnot before you commit to silicone. I'd hot glue on the side of maybe 2 of the adjuster feet (opposite sides) but do it on the edges (so a layer of hot glue isn't under the feet) and check the alignment. if it's good, pull the tube and silicone it as shown on the neck plus your gobs on the bell.

that way gravity isn't working against you.  :cheers: Silicone has a nasty habit of running away on you.

24hrs should be fine for cure, check your silicone tube for actual cure times, it may be more or less. the picture tube will be fine...just be sure nobody is going to trip over it or kick it. Cordon off an area if you have to. If the neck gets knocked off (very thin glass) it's garbage.

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2012, 08:58:32 pm »
The monitor is already out and on the table.

The ArcadeVGA / MAME computer is there too.

I have the glue gun and RTV silicone adhesive.

Thanks for the advice. 

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 06:00:11 pm »
A friend came over and I was explaining the yoke problem and what I have to do to fix it.

A few beers later and it went from a discussion to a demonstration.

I fired the monitor and PC up, loaded up the test pattern, and pushed the joke back into position. Surprisingly it stayed up against the tube without any glue.

The center convergence was off, so I boldly grabbed the screwdriver and stuck it in the focus adjuster on the flyback and turned it a little bit and the center cleared up!

It seems that the yoke and everything is fine. All I need to worry about is gluing the yoke back on straight so that the picture does not lean.

So I positioned the yoke using the test pattern, and hot glued to top two adjuster feet to the tube. Removed the entire chassis and put the tube on its face. I used some strips of balsa to brace the yoke in place as suggested by Rickn above. Then I silicone glued the neck clamp like in the above picture and put a blob of glue on the four adjuster feet. It is drying now.

Hopefully it didn’t shift too much in the process.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 07:20:55 pm »
I think your good.  :cheers:

dgame

• Offline Offline
  • I am no Jedi
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 08:19:37 pm »
It's alive!

Had to turn down the G2 (Screen) on the flyback as the picture was too bright.
Adjusted color settings in the factory menu.

Has convergence issues at the corners and top edge of the screen.
Convergence strips are missing/misaligned at top of yoke.

Still the picture looks good and games look awesome.

Thanks to lilshawn, Rickn, and Ken for the help and advice.  :cheers:

Next up is the frame swap and install . . .

:droid