Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Makvision 25" tri-Sync - Noisy white spikes on CRT screen and flyback  (Read 1644 times)

repetto74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 02:10:00 pm
Hello Guys....

I am very disappointed  :angry: :angry: I had a fresh new Makvision 25" tri-sync replacement monitor for my arcade cab which lasted only two weeks!!!
Yesterday the cab was running when suddenly some white and noisy spikes came out from the front/right bottom side of the screen  :banghead: :banghead: It was so scary I just kept my distance with the cab and 2-3 seconds later the monitor shut down + smell of fried components  :hissy: :hissy:

I gave a look today.....spikes are coming out from the flyback when you briefly turn it on....the Resistor R164 is fried....
What should I do now??? I am living in Belgium and this monitor has been delivered by Happ USA via the office in the Netherlands. It's a pity for a product of only 2 weeks aged.... :timebomb:
Does anyone knows where I can find the complete schematics of the monitor chassis?

Thanks

repetto74

• Offline Offline
Re: Makvision 25" tri-Sync - Noisy white spikes on CRT screen and flyback
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 08:25:00 am »
By the way...Chassis numer is M3125DB-82....
I found a schematic on happ support for the M3125B-82 chassis wich I believe is slighty different because guess what? Cannot find the value of this R164 resistor... :cry:

juanchocnva

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2013, 10:12:01 pm
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 02:39:06 pm »
you should send it back ..... bet you are still under warranty

if you try to fix it yourself u might  void ur warranty .... and maybe something else caused that transistor to fry
u never know.......... :D

good luck

:afro:

repetto74

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 03:29:36 pm »
I did not touch or unmounted anything of course....

I have sent an email to Happ support explaining this whole mess!
The original monitor has been built in 1990 and was still running (except the vsync old which was giving troubles and some general distorsion on the image) and this one made in China was close to blow out on my face!!!

Sorry but this is really poor quality for expensive CRT monitor replacements!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :hissy: :soapbox: :soapbox:

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:11:41 pm »
Eh, even the old school monitors occasionally had some early mortality.  Figure the one you ended up with was already quite well tested by the time you got hold of it.

That said, the newer stuff is generally not well tested (if it's tested at all!) prior to leaving the factory.  In the old days, a burn-in test of several hours was pretty common, while these days you're lucky if they bother to even turn it on before boxing it up and shipping it out.  Combine that with the fact that the modern designs are a fair bit more complicated (for various reasons, some good, some kinda worthless), and it's not surprising that this sort of thing happens from time to time.

Figure that monitor would have cost you another hundred bucks or so if it was build on modern processes but to the same standard of quality that things back in the early 90s were held to.  It turns out these days that it's cheaper to just replace things under warranty (or stick it to the customer, sadly) than actually test things prior to shipping them.  If you attempt otherwise, the customers will just all go to whoever's cheaper, and you'll be out of business pretty quickly.

Of course, I'd not heard many good things about the Makvisions.  I think they only reason people are buying them is that they're the only option left for new production.