Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: price range to build your own cabinet?  (Read 4201 times)

houthkenny

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2012, 01:27:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
price range to build your own cabinet?
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:07:28 am »
im about to embark on the difficulty and probably headaching project on building my own cabinet. but before i do im curious on how much you guys spent in total on building the cabinet ( material wise i.e wood, bolts, nuts, excluding the monitor, game,and wires.) also whats the hardest part about building the cabinet?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:47:42 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: price range to build your own cabinet?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 02:02:09 am »
Welcome aboard, houthkenny.

The price varies WILDLY depending on numerous factors.

Some have posted about their <$100 build, while others have spent $5,000+.

If finances are a concern, your best bet is to make a budget in Excel and plan out exactly what you want for your cab.

Expect to have a certain degree of "function creep" as you surf GGG, Ultimarc, and Paradise Arcade Shop.

You will definitely have some (or major-league) budget creep.

What games do you want?  What controls do they need? What products meet those needs and work together?

Once you get an idea of what you want, post it and folks will make sure you're on the right track.

As far as what is the hardest, that depends on the details of the project and your skillsets -- or lack thereof.   :dunno   :lol

Scott

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:43:23 am »
Speaking as someone that has been spending on average of 90 EURO a week at Praktiker, BauHaus, or OBI;  the small stuff will nickle and dime you to death, so make sure you factor that in.   
Also pick your parts wisely, and know exactly what you want and why (this is coming from a guy who's cabinet isn't even finished and already owns 2 sets of joysticks, and is about to buy a third set).

If I could, I would have found one on CL and modified it, it would have been sooooooo much cheaper in the long run.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:58:35 am »
I agree with PL1, you can spend any range you can afford on your cab.  If you have a limited budget, make a spreadsheet. 

If you search, there are several threads discussing this on the boards, which will give you a good idea what some of us here on the boards have spent.  Here is the first one that comes to mind ... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121295

Trip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:37:04 pm
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:57:04 am »
If you want to save money, stay away from RGBs, learning that one the hard way.  :lol

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 10:32:38 am »
Definitely agree with all of the above. You can make something classy on a shoestring budget, and something jaw dropping if you want to spend the time and money.

The excel sheet is a good way to start. To keep in a budget, just be sure that the first thing you do is figure out exactly what you want your project to do. There are a lot of things that are unnecessary to make a good cabinet, but they are commonly done for the added enjoyment value. Added peripherals like spinners and lightguns, custom cabinet art, coin doors, rotating screens, analog joysticks....the list goes on and on with things we add that are completely optional and would add cost to your project.

If you keep your eyes on budget and don't need to buy a new computer and new power tools in the process. You should have no problem building a standard, no frills 2 player cabinet in the $300 to $500 range. Mini cabs and bartop cabs often can come cheaper.

As far as the hardest part goes....I would say simply having the follow through to complete your cabinet. Many people in this hobby start but don't finish. Sometimes it is budget going out of control, sometimes it is just that it takes a lot more work than expected. Sometimes people get to 90% on their project and stop because it is usable at that point. I've been guilty of that one.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 10:37:14 am by Vigo »

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:51 am »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 11:51:09 am »
If you want to save money, stay away from RGBs, learning that one the hard way.  :lol

+1

RGB lit buttons and controllers are very expensive, I have over $250 into lighting my buttons and trackball alone
I drink and I know things.

Trip

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2020, 01:37:04 pm
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 12:00:46 pm »
+1

RGB lit buttons and controllers are very expensive, I have over $250 into lighting my buttons and trackball alone

I don't try to think about how much I have in mine.  Got 40+ buttons, 5 joystick balls, and a trackball and two controllers.  Just makes me brain hurt when I start to think about it.

houthkenny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2012, 01:27:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 01:27:06 pm »
thanks everyone! for the input at first i was telling myself i should be able to finish this within a month but i began to realize its more of a progress project and wont be finishing anytime sooner

Tonyjambo

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 01:27:26 pm »
Heres my recent costs - did this in July so its pretty up to date - budget was 1000, you'll notice no single component over 100 - it all jst adds up ....

Category      item      Source      Cost   
   Controls      2x 8 ways +  14 buttons      tornado terry (ebay)      60   
   Controls      6 extra buttons      tornado terry (ebay)      13   
   Controls      Trackball      tornado terry (ebay)      90   
   Controls      Trackball mount      tornado terry (ebay)      13   
   Controls      Spinner      Groovy Gamre Gear      90   
   Controls      4 way joystick      Groovy Gamre Gear      10   
   Controls      Keywiz      Groovy Gamre Gear      50   
   Controls      Wiring harness      Groovy Gamre Gear      10   
   Materials      3x2      Depot      6   
   Materials      misc stock      Inventory-      0   
   Materials      MDF      Depot      90   
   Materials      Plexi      Depot      40   
   Materials      T-Mould      t-moulding.com      30   
   Materials      Screws      Depot      6   
   Materials      Drawer slides      Depot      5   
   Materials      Paint (matt black, primer, semi gloss black)      Depot      30   
   Materials      L Brackets      Depot      4   
   Materials      Hinges      Depot      4   
   Materials      Piano hinge      Depot      15   
   Materials      casters      Amazon      13   
   Materials      22g wire      Radioshack      5   
   Materials      quick Connects      Radioshack      8   
   Materials      Cam Lock      Depot      5   
   Electrical      Light      Amazon      15   
   Electrical      Power Strip      Amazon      23   
   Electrical      Speakers      Amazon      23   
   Electrical      PC      Inventory      0   
   Electrical      Keyboard      Inventory      0   
   Electrical      Monitor      ebay      85   
   Tools      Plexi knife      Depot      5   
   Tools      Slot Router bit      Amazon      21   
   Tools      New Dremel      HW Store      100   
   Tools      Crimper      Radioshack      15   
   Misc      Ink and printing      Inventory      0   
   Misc      Artwork      various      25   
   Misc      Filler      Depot      5   
   Misc      Caulk      Depot      10   
   Misc      Brushes, rollers etc      HW Store      20   
   Misc      Cable Ties & anchor points      Depot      10   
   Misc      Black Duct tape      Depot      5   
   Misc      Masking tape      Depot      5   
   Artwork      marquee      TBD      25   
   Artwork      Cpanel      TBD      60   
   Artwork      Side Art      TBD      100   
               total      1149   

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 04:11:05 pm »
Ditto what others have said. To add:

1) Laminates are expensive, paint is cheaper. (Just not as durable)
2) I'm all for nixing the RGBs, however get controls that you're happy with. No matter now little or how much the cab costs you, you simply will not use it much if it doesn't provide that arcade feel to you. Microswitches, leaf switches, optical joysticks, whatever, just make sure it feels good to you while you play. I'd do the most research you can in this area. My controls alone were over $600 for a two player cab.

gbeef

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2018, 03:32:26 pm
    • arcadepix.com
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 11:40:38 pm »
I think it probably easier to buy a used cab then try and build one. If you can find a used non working cabinet out there for about 150.00 or cheaper.
All you need is maybe a couple extra buttons encoder and PC and TV. CRT's are dirt cheap and you can run mame using a celeron. So you could techincally build something decent for say maybe 300.00. If you building from scratch it can get expensive. On average people spend about 1000.00 on there cabs.

My cabs
4 Player Arcade
X-men Arcade Remixed
My Pin Cab Attack of the PINZ cab
My Racing Cabinet Cab [URL=http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=

thaddeussmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2017, 11:49:51 am
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07:18 pm »
Get into barter mode on craigslist.

I found a neo geo cab that had been converted to tekken 3 at some point. Dinged up exterior, but it was structurally solid and the monitor in great shape. He was asking $600 and i traded a shotgun for it that I was planning to get rid of.

Then I found a 2yr old dual core AMD rig (3.2 GHz or something) 6gb of ram, nice power supply, etc for $300. Traded an older iPad I was looking to get rid of. I already had a couple of 500GB hard drives.

I traded the tekken 3 jamma board and a neo geo cartridge that was found in the cabinet for a new cp overlay and used marquee from QuarterArcade.com. Cost me about $40 in shipping costs.

I spent $50 on a little Lepai 20w speaker amp and some JBL bookshelf speakers from a friend. Gutted and installed into the marquee area.

My biggest expense has been with Ultimarc. $250 for new joysticks, buttons, minipac, arcadeVGA, and the harnesses and vga signal booster.

So i'm in this for just over $300. I don't count the stuff I traded because I feel my usage and enjoyment was fully amortized out of them. I still need to repaint all of the red panels, some new side art, and t-molding - all of which can be done over time as I continue to play and enjoy.

Wait for the deals and dont be afraid to send a bunch of "interested in trading for such and such" emails (and the subsequent rejections).

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 05:33:39 pm »
I just wanted to point out another aspect of this conversation, that cost really can't be justified above the enjoyment you get from both playing and building a machine. There's nothing practical really about this hobby, it's purely for the enjoyment and satisfaction of creating something yourself and the fun of playing on it by yourself or with others.

Whatever you spend, just remember to try and aim for value of what you get out compared to what you put in. It's a very personal experience with no rights or wrongs, no cheap or expensive, no best or worst.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 05:36:03 pm by griffindodd »
I drink and I know things.

thaddeussmith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2017, 11:49:51 am
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 01:14:54 pm »
I just wanted to point out another aspect of this conversation, that cost really can't be justified above the enjoyment you get from both playing and building a machine. There's nothing practical really about this hobby, it's purely for the enjoyment and satisfaction of creating something yourself and the fun of playing on it by yourself or with others.

Whatever you spend, just remember to try and aim for value of what you get out compared to what you put in. It's a very personal experience with no rights or wrongs, no cheap or expensive, no best or worst.

absolutely. Neo Geo games were always my favorite, but I also didn't want to be limited by a 2-4-6 slot setup. So i found one that had already been bastardized internally that needed some fresh electronics and could be brought back to a Neo Geo cab visually. So for me: this is about fond childhood memories, creating something for my friends that have many similar arcade memories, and making sure my 4-month old daughter grows up with some knowledge of gaming's history. (MAME, NES, and SNES will probably be the 3 systems I have on here)

To me it's worth more than $350, but I'm happy to save a dime when possible. ;)

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 01:29:29 pm »
I managed to get a 2 Player Bartop up and running for less then £200. Which wasn't too bad as it included the price of the PC, Monitor & router & Bits. I used 3M Carbon Fibre Vinyl for the rear panels etc. which I could have just painted so its possible to do it cheaper then that even. (I had some angled aluminium and perspex hanging around, Literally (They were from a picture frame). I used this for the Bezel/marquee area etc. so cost to me was nothing and I just pulled apart an old pair of PC Speakers for sound, either that or they were headed for the bin) 

PC & 19"  £40
fans            £7
grill            £2
3M vinyl    £24
joysticks    £45
screws    £5
router etc    £30
wood    £20
Artwork    £10
lights    £5
switch    £4
power sw    £2
heatshrink £5

£199.00

Unstupid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 01:46:24 pm »
If you are looking to build a cocktail cabinet I have a pretty detailed price list in the 3rd post on the project page linked in my signature...  I didn't bother tracking the costs to build the Neo-Geo because it was pretty ridiculous...

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 02:58:36 pm »
Between all of the authentic parts I purchased on ebay, and encoders, 4 inch trackballs, joysticks, buttons, xboxs for coin-ops 4, I am sure I spent over $1000 in the last 9 years. 

Zero completed cabinets.

Hockeyboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2022, 02:48:38 pm
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2012, 02:09:49 pm »
Between all of the authentic parts I purchased on ebay, and encoders, 4 inch trackballs, joysticks, buttons, xboxs for coin-ops 4, I am sure I spent over $1000 in the last 9 years. 

Zero completed cabinets.

Boy, do I know that feeling. Had a huge home in Colorado, bought a bunch of arcade components, and even had a TMNT cab in the garage and was forced to give it all up when Intel closed down our site and my family had to relocate to Oregon. Houses are much smaller here in Oregon and the wife has said numerous times we have ZERO room in a 2600 sq ft house. I think she's finally agreed that I can find some spare space but now she's afraid I'm going to build it, at 3x the original quoted price, play it for about a month, then just quit and it will sit there gathering dust. Obviously she never spent much time in an arcade as a kid, where as I dumped almost entire paychecks.  :laugh:

So now I'm sitting on new black arcade components (had red translucent that was going to be lit up of course), I've got an entire computer (all spare parts, but it's still an Intel Quad Core Q9450-based system, so should be okay), 2x4s, 2x2s, 1/2" MDF, screws, bolts, etc, just waiting for 2 sheets of the grade A hardwood plywood so I can start drawing, measuring, and cutting. I'm going to go along the lines of the Knievel Woody and ambush's cab as my design inspiration.

Total cost thus far is about $300, but I still need to spend $100 on the high-grade ply; I need a spinner, an Ipac, and a marquee, marquee light...so I figure total cost will be $700-800. Remember, though, this is a labor of love, and not just some "stupid hobby."  ;)