Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scratch - Marvel v Capcom: Revolution - Complete with tour video  (Read 217500 times)

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
Re: Scratch build - Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution - Framing complete
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2012, 10:26:11 pm »
Dude, if your put those .25 pushbuttons on the side of your cab like that....I will personally take your cool card away from and send you to time out to reflect on that decision....... :badmood: I think I just threw up in my mouth.....

Nice find on the equipment, if those are lit led tops, Shaner just ordered some twirly do thingys to keep the wires from twisting.

Yeah man that stick over there is gonna cause you problems, ever play ms.  pacman with your wrist suspended in the air.......In that spot you'll never be able to rest your hand, it'll lay right on the buttons below.

You pull this off.....you da man........looks freakin awesome...... :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Scratch build - Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution - Framing in Progress
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2012, 11:00:51 pm »
Thanks Scott, I do want to play pinball for sure, it's the main reason that the main screen will rotate, what do all these mysterious buttons do?
Ball launcher (enter) is the same as pulling and releasing the shooter to hit the ball and send it into play.  Dedicated button is definitely better than a shifted function for this one. Some tables like Attack From Mars and Medieval Madness you hold down the left flipper on launch for skillshot.

Upper flippers are for tables with one or two separately controlled flippers, usually located further up from the regular flippers, like Stewie's Playfield on the Family Guy Tribute table.  BTW - The flipper next to Meg (left middle) is tied to the left flipper.

Closeup on Stewie's Playfield (upper right)

Magnasave is for tables like Black Knight.  There was an electromagnet that you could trigger to prevent the ball from going down the outlane.  See Magnasave in action at 2:08.

I almost forgot to ask -- since you still have two unused inputs do you want pinball nudge buttons also?
Forward nudge = space = Player 1, Button 3
Left nudge = z {+1 input}
Right nudge = / {+1 input}

Scott

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2012, 02:01:41 am »
Couldn't sleep so I went back to the control panel and decided to ditch the dedicated 4-way stick. If I really feel like I need a 4-way I can always swap out the player-1 stick with an Ultimarc lift n lock stick, I never did like how awkward that random extra joystick looked anyway.

And yes, that's right, I'm building beer holders into the controller. Why? Because this beast is going in the man cave, and when there's good times in the man cave, there's beer. Hell if I can find shot glass sized cup holders I'm going to put those bitches right next to the beer holders.  :cheers:

« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:12:27 am by griffindodd »
I drink and I know things.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2012, 02:06:21 am »
@PL1

Yep I'm going to have 4 buttons for upper and lower flippers, I'll also probably spring for the digital plunger setup as it really is essential for the true pinball feel. Nudge would be good, but if I do it I'll do it with motion sensors, having nudge buttons just takes away from the reality that we are trying so hard to recreate. As for magsave, not sure on that one, I guess I'll see how my pinball playing goes and see if it even bothers me. To be honest, as long as I can play Addams Family pinball I'll be happy as a pig in poop.

@RaBlack

Lol, ok I took your advice and removed them, I didn't know I was committing such a cultural crime, I'm new to this remember ha ha. How about I put them in the coin door?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 02:42:41 am by griffindodd »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:19:05 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2012, 04:47:58 am »
Yep I'm going to have 4 buttons for upper and lower flippers, I'll also probably spring for the digital plunger setup as it really is essential for the true pinball feel. Nudge would be good, but if I do it I'll do it with motion sensors, having nudge buttons just takes away from the reality that we are trying so hard to recreate. As for magsave, not sure on that one, I guess I'll see how my pinball playing goes and see if it even bothers me. To be honest, as long as I can play Addams Family pinball I'll be happy as a pig in poop.

If you're talking about the Nanotech plunger and controller, (also available here) I'm not sure you'll be able to get enough motion for the nudge to work, given the weight of the cab.  You might want to spend some time reading up on the Nanotech controller in the VP Forums and leave enough room in the design for nudge buttons, just in case.

I'm 80% done with the writeup for a shooter built using a laser gaming mouse and real pinball hardware/springs.  It looks like the real thing and works great.

Some tables like T2 use a launcher button, so it's a good idea to have both.

If you don't feel like wiring the Magnasave for now, you can easily add it later if you change your mind.  List of games that have Magnasave.

Here's where you can get a great VP full screen table version of TAF or there are several FP versions.

Scott

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2012, 08:01:48 pm »
Thanks Scott, plenty to chew on there.

Started mocking up the control panel today to make sure it feels right.

Paper mockup on quarter inch mdf.

Components in place for fit and feel.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 11:14:12 pm by griffindodd »

TheShaner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2012, 04:41:25 pm »
Yep, definitely get the twister doo dahs for your joys if they are LEDs. I have the same joysticks and they twist for sure. I have already broke an LED wire and it was a ---smurfette--- to fix.

I have always thought it was crazy to put cup holders on your control panel. Eventually you will spill one, after you have killed off his other 11 brothers while clearing out countless space stations of aliens, and won't that suck. Just get some nice fold up cup holders and attach them to the side behind the control panel or something.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #87 on: July 29, 2012, 06:30:36 pm »
Started construction of the monitor rotation mechanism today. Decided to go direct drive with a toothed timing belt setup. Standing of the shoulder of giants that have stepped before me, I'm using the casters as disk balancers and I will be using micro switches to kill the motor at the end of travel along with a physical stop.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: July 30, 2012, 11:10:49 am »
I have always thought it was crazy to put cup holders on your control panel. Eventually you will spill one, after you have killed off his other 11 brothers while clearing out countless space stations of aliens, and won't that suck. Just get some nice fold up cup holders and attach them to the side behind the control panel or something.

+1 on this one, most folks place the cupholders on the side,  having those directly on the CP is cool looking, but the minute someone gets excited and you see beer running all into your crevices, and into your components in your CP then it wont be cool anymore.  Yanking beer in and out of that cup holder is gonna cause issues.  Plus keeping them clean is a beotch, and it will make your CP look filthy.

Also keep in mind you haven't even started wiring up that CP.  Layout all your internal components to see whats gonna sit where in the base, make sure you have the room for the cupholder should you decide to keep them.

If you feel the need to fill those voids in the corners, add some controllable red fans and get some cool grill covers, maybe controll them through the touchscreen or the contoller at the bottom.  I did it in my machine and they get used more that you think, helps circulate the heat coming from screen, and its a perfect hand dryer.  I use mine all the time, like at a bowling alley.  People think direct air blowing on your face would be a nuisance, I have them on full blast and doesn't bother my eyes at all, just keeps the playing area cool.

Just an idea......

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #89 on: July 30, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
Interesting idea on the fans, I think they would annoy me though. As for cupholders, meagh I have plenty of time to play with the idea, also as far as layout that's why I built the mockup panel, it will be super useful moving forward. Maybe I'll put extra speakers there if the cupholders dont work out.

Did some more work on the monitor drive, have the motor and driveshaft in place and mounted well
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:47:45 pm by griffindodd »

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: July 30, 2012, 12:50:39 pm »
Nicceeeeee....

No I meant inside your CP not on top, unless your not gonna have a base.

Speakers would be cool......

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #91 on: July 30, 2012, 12:58:06 pm »
No I meant inside your CP not on top, unless your not gonna have a base.

Yeah I follow, I am going to have a base and it's going to run full width of the panel as it will have the pinball buttons on the side so it will have to run flush.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Quick update:

My Bosch Router arrived today, a great bargain on ebay for an unused 2.25hp plunge router. I decided to invest in some Whiteside router bits so I picked up a straight 1/2" shank 2 flute and a top and bottom baring 3/4" cut depth flush.

Waiting on some parts to arrive from Pololu for the drive motor, should be here tomorrow and then I can have a solid attempt at getting the rotation mechanism finished.

Bought 5 sheets of Wilsonart 8x4 1/16th matt black laminate from the link TheShaner gave me for a total of $184 shipped to my door, great price, I'm super pumped that the laminate is on the way, it's going to really take the cab to the next level.

So a lot of sitting around and waiting for stuff to arrive right now.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
dont forget about the slot cutting bit for the t-molding....

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
dont forget about the slot cutting bit for the t-molding....

Yep I did forget, so I just added that and a nice 45 degree chamfer as well for mitering my control box

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
I just realized that you were talking about laminating and putting artwork on the sides of your machine.  What is the point of that?  I dont think you will need laminate if you are just going to cover it. 

Someone else chime in if you have an opinion one way or the other.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
I just realized that you were talking about laminating and putting artwork on the sides of your machine.  What is the point of that?  I dont think you will need laminate if you are just going to cover it.   Someone else chime in if you have an opinion one way or the other.

Lol, you didn't see the massive graphics on the artwork  :dunno

It's all good. After seeing Marjtyn's and Woodshop Flunky's builds I was so impressed by the quality of their cabs that I wanted to follow in their footsteps for build quality. I'm sure vinyl on MDF will look fine, but I think the overall finish with laminate will be even better, I guess it's just a case of that last 5%. Plus, thanks to the awesome lead you gave me I got 5 sheets for $180 shipped rather than having to pay $150 for two sheets locally, so it's a bargain whether I use it all on this cab or keep it for future builds.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Cool, I saw the artwork, it just didnt click for some reason.

Make sure you dont cut your slots before you put a small piece of laminate on some wood and do some test cuts.  I cant stress that enough!  That way you can get things perfectly flush.

The 5 sheets worked really good for me too.  It allowed me to mess up once and I still have a sheet left over.  I will be redoing my control panel once everything else is done and may laminate first before I put the artwork on for the smoothest finish.

On that same note, how do you plan on attaching your artwork to the control panel?

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
On that same note, how do you plan on attaching your artwork to the control panel?

I'll be getting all the art done at Game on Graphix. The control panels come in a polycarbonate laminated self adhesive vinyl that is super tough.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Make sure you dont cut your slots before you put a small piece of laminate on some wood and do some test cuts.  I cant stress that enough!  That way you can get things perfectly flush.

I'm not sure what you mean here. As I will be laminating both sides of the 5/8 MDF my plan was to slot it perfectly centered first then do the laminating last.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
Re: Scratch build - Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution - Rotating screen in progress
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 11:51:38 am »
Ahh, if you are laminating both sides that sounds like it should work out fine.  I believe the laminate was 1/16".  I would still do a test cut though just to make sure you are dead on.  :-)  It would suck to be off by a ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- hair. 

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 12:07:03 pm »
Missed this up until now.  You're doing an excellent job.  Couple of things:

+1 on the no beer holders in the CP - that would be a mistake.

the CPR encoder on the Pololu motors is a quadrature encoder, so it is good for measuring actual motor speed v/s requested speed on a robot, but not for positive positioning.  There's no way I know of to use it for limit locating in this application.  Sounds like DNA Dan has you going for limit switches, that is the better way by far and the controller board is set up to handle them so easily.

Massive cool points for finding and implementing that gilmer belt solution - that will be great.  You're rotating a decent sized mass, more than the belt is probably designed for, so make sure you set your start speeds very low via the SMC software, to start out with, so you don't rack the belt over the gear or break the belt teeth off.  Then, once you're confident it can handle the start stress, ramp it up.  even if you have to start slowly you can accelerate up very quickly to a faster speed if you like. 

Again, fine work and you won't regret doing the rotation deal.  I still love it every time I play. 

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 12:33:37 pm »
Missed this up until now.  You're doing an excellent job.  Couple of things:

+1 on the no beer holders in the CP - that would be a mistake.

the CPR encoder on the Pololu motors is a quadrature encoder, so it is good for measuring actual motor speed v/s requested speed on a robot, but not for positive positioning.  There's no way I know of to use it for limit locating in this application.  Sounds like DNA Dan has you going for limit switches, that is the better way by far and the controller board is set up to handle them so easily.

Massive cool points for finding and implementing that gilmer belt solution - that will be great.  You're rotating a decent sized mass, more than the belt is probably designed for, so make sure you set your start speeds very low via the SMC software, to start out with, so you don't rack the belt over the gear or break the belt teeth off.  Then, once you're confident it can handle the start stress, ramp it up.  even if you have to start slowly you can accelerate up very quickly to a faster speed if you like. 

Again, fine work and you won't regret doing the rotation deal.  I still love it every time I play.

Thanks TJC!!

Yeah I am still mulling over the drinks holders  :cheers: . I am happy with the switch and physical limiters for the drive, DNA Dan gave me a walk through of how to configure the error state switches on the board so that will be easy enough. As for the belt I feel confident that it will be fine with the weight, the monitor itself weighs less that 4lbs, it'a an ultra-thin LED so hopefully that will help a lot with general stress on the mechanism. I'll definitely be starting off with slow speeds once it's all put together and then seeing what I can acheive from there. I also have a trick up my sleeve to display Hyperspin in vertical mode, so stay tuned for that one  ;D

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2012, 01:37:50 pm »
I built this little bartop for a friend and he wanted a cup holder, found some flip down holders on ebay for cheap. Worked out really well.

By the way I am loving your art and the design of your cab!  :cheers:

stuckpixel

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 15, 2016, 02:59:23 pm
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2012, 01:46:08 pm »
So, have you playtested at all with the play monitor at that angle? Comfortable?

Pretty killer in that it'd be easily switchable to VPins too.

Really digging the way this one is coming together.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #105 on: August 01, 2012, 01:51:05 pm »
So, have you playtested at all with the play monitor at that angle? Comfortable?
Pretty killer in that it'd be easily switchable to VPins too.
Really digging the way this one is coming together.

Nope not yet, once I get it rotating I can put it in the cab and give it a try.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #106 on: August 01, 2012, 02:47:22 pm »
Just added the X-Arcade coin door and mech to the parts pile, seemed like a good value for a fully operational door with a lifetime warranty.

I'll put a cost of build list in the OP to give people an idea what to expect to pay for a build like this (although I'm scared to know what it will end up at)

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2012, 03:48:41 pm »
Updated the OP with the shopping list, prices and sources, I think I got most everything. Jeeze, if you ever needed proof that you are building the worlds most impractical and expensive computer case to run games you can play on your phone....this is it lol  :dizzy:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:16:42 pm by griffindodd »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:06 pm »

I'll be getting all the art done at Game on Graphix. The control panels come in a polycarbonate laminated self adhesive vinyl that is super tough.

Ive got the exact same stuff on mine and it is a good material.  The only reason I ask though is because it is very unforgiving when it comes to what is underneath it.  If it is not absolutely flat, it will show.  I flush mounted my joys and trackball and you can totally see all of the spaces and inconsistencies.  I am probably going to redo them and get it printed at a local sign shop.  They will print backwards on a clear vinyl, then backlay with white.  I will then peal and stick to the underside of some thin plexi.  That way everything is super clean.  The other option is to undermount all of your joys. and the trackball.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2012, 04:30:40 pm »
That's why I am using laminate under my vinyl and undermounting with routing
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 04:32:36 pm by griffindodd »

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:41 pm »
I've got some mercury switches on order for my solar ride pinball build, but I'm still going to install 2 buttons near the flippers for left and right nudge. I wasn't planning on the buttons, but if virtuapin does it by default, there must be a reason. I'm foregoing the second set of flippers, extra ball buy-in and the magnasave buttons. I am going to use mini buttons recessed on the bottom for navigation and exit. I'm planning on buttons inside the con door for power up and volume. Besides the nudge buttons, my pinball machine will look stock.
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:21 am »
 :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very happy with the timing belt drive and the positive control I have over this motor. Notice how the kill switches are held down by nothing more than duct tape and they still kill the motor at a dead halt even at a decent rotation speed. I am super happy with this result.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:16:22 am by griffindodd »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2012, 01:46:46 pm »
Cleaned up the drive board this morning, still have to fit the casters to keep the turntable perfectly level during turning, then I'm going to make a matching circular plate to fix to the back of the monitor that I can then clamp to the base turntable to get perfect positioning.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:51:25 pm by griffindodd »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2012, 06:48:02 pm »
aaaaand the final product. Still needs some fine tuning, but it's all there and working...

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2012, 06:55:21 pm »
Can you post links on the belt and pullies?  I looked on amazon but could only find stuff that was car sized/too big. 

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 08:41:14 pm »
aaaaand the final product. Still needs some fine tuning, but it's all there and working...

Freaking sweet!

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »
I said the same thing about the graphics over the laminate on page 1.  I could see if you had a smaller graphic then laminate all the way, but your skinning the darn thing.  Although he has a point about the smooth surface.

As far as the CP, I think it's being over-engineered.  I top-mounted my sticks via EPYX's tutorial.  Took my graphic to fed ex Kinkos and they printed it on a heavy high res high quality photo paper.....no adhesive, laid it right on the mdf, and put plexi over it, i have no imperfections in the graphic, as it isnt adhering directly to the mdf, the plexi and buttons snug everything up.......but to each his own everyone has to be happy with the results......

Rotating screen.... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I will say it one more time......nix the beer holders......you've got a masterpiece going here....once you get it up and running, food and drink wont be allowed w/i 10 feet of this thing......or one spill and you'll have 2 unused humongous holes in your CP.....

I dont allow beverages around mine, its been what 3 years CP looks the same as the day i built it.......Nothing sticky, no grime, protect your investment, dont put boobie traps on it.... :soapbox: im done..
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:58:28 pm by rablack97 »

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 11:08:53 pm »
I said the same thing about the graphics over the laminate on page 1.  I could see if you had a smaller graphic then laminate all the way, but your skinning the darn thing.  Although he has a point about the smooth surface.

As far as the CP, I think it's being over-engineered.  I top-mounted my sticks via EPYX's tutorial.  Took my graphic to fed ex Kinkos and they printed it on a heavy high res high quality photo paper.....no adhesive, laid it right on the mdf, and put plexi over it, i have no imperfections in the graphic, as it isnt adhering directly to the mdf, the plexi and buttons snug everything up.......but to each his own everyone has to be happy with the results......

Rotating screen.... :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I will say it one more time......nix the beer holders......you've got a masterpiece going here....once you get it up and running, food and drink wont be allowed w/i 10 feet of this thing......or one spill and you'll have 2 unused humongous holes in your CP.....

I dont allow beverages around mine, its been what 3 years CP looks the same as the day i built it.......Nothing sticky, no grime, protect your investment, dont put boobie traps on it.... :soapbox: im done..

It's a freaking arcade machine folks.  It's not the Mona Lisa or a stack of bearer bonds in the Nakatomi vault.  What's the point of the hobby if you're scared to enjoy the damn thing.  Hells yeah put light up beer holders in there if you want to.  Hells yeah something will spill, just wipe it up.  Don't put your encoder directly below a seam and it'll never get wet.  I encourage drinking anytime I'm showing off my machines.  My machines are in the same room that I keep the beer for a reason, I want them to be enjoyed.  If heaven forbid something breaks then you fix it, after all you built the thing so it can't be that hard to fix.  If you use photo-paper maybe beer isn't the best thing to have around but sounds like you're using an industrial material meant to withstand light abuse Griff.  Abuse away!

If you're worried about seams a good coat of bondo and some sanding will take care of that. Little elbow grease never kilt nobody.  I think that laminating fully and then skinning is a fine approach, it gives an excellent no fail surface for adhesion and who the hell wants to prep and paint when you can just glue on the nice finish.  I wish I had laminated everything I've ever built inside and out.  Would've saved me time. 

Just don't go with bolt-on flip-down cup holders, those things are redneck, oh and your rotation is tits.  Keep up the good work and build it your way, seems to me you're doing pretty well here.     

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 11:31:06 pm »
Beer is absolutely encouraged around my machine.  I built it drunk, I play it drunk.