Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Scratch - Marvel v Capcom: Revolution - Complete with tour video  (Read 215857 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: Scratch build - Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution - Framing in Progress
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 10:59:35 pm »
See.....ask and ye shall recieve..... :dizzy:

For the trackball you will need an optical encoder like the Opti-Wiz or the Opti-Pac.

For the life of me I don't recall needing either of those in my build.....Just bought spinner and trackball and hooked it up, using only 1 IPAC....I forgot how as its been 3 years would have to pop the hood and see what the heck i did.

Rablack97 - You probably got the encoder along with or inside your trackball like Crazy Cooter suggests.

It sounds like Griffindodd is using the trackball from a tankstick.

When I posted earlier, it sounded like he wasn't able to use the tankstick's optical encoder because it was on the main PCB, but after looking a bit further I found this thread: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=100792.msg1066262#msg1066262

As that thread shows and states, the USB/PS2 encoder for the tankstick trackball is in the trackball itself, so no need to get another encoder.

Scott

Edit:
Second big decision of the day is to return the tank stick.

Thanks for reminding me, Yotsuya.   :banghead:

Guess that means the Tankstick trackball is out.   :lol

What do you have in mind, Griffindodd?

Maybe a U-Trak? http://www.ultimarc.com/trackball.html
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 11:20:19 pm by PL1 »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 12:12:08 am »
Hi all, just a small update tonight. Widened the cabinet frame so it has in interior dimension of 25.5" (ext 27"), that should be enough to accommodate the rotating monitor I want to build.

As for the trackball at the moment I am not using one, I think I would like to, but it would have to be either red or RGB and I'm not sure I want to spend $100 just for that one controller/light/trackball, I'll have to chew that one over.

Today I also picked up a sound sensitive LED controller with 3 channels and 16ft of RGB LED ribbon, I'm considering trying to integrate it into the t-molding of the cab but haven't decided yet how best to incorporate it. I've seen something similar used behind translucent t-molding and it worked quite well although the finish on the molding wasn't tight enough for my taste.

I drink and I know things.

TheShaner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 08:06:33 am »
Just get a white trans ball and throw a red LED behind it.  Should be cheap enough.  You dont have to buy anything crazy.  I would say though, you will probably want to get 3 12v red led's.  It takes a lot to light them balls up.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 10:20:37 am by TheShaner »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 10:01:34 am »
Grabbed an hour before work in the garage this morning (this is probably how 99% of the time of this build will take place).

Cab widening complete, more framing, computer shelf and sub woofer test placement.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 10:19:48 am »
If your cab will be against a wall or in a corner, you might want to consider rear placement.  I believe this helps the bass, acoustically.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 11:18:51 am »
If your cab will be against a wall or in a corner, you might want to consider rear placement.  I believe this helps the bass, acoustically.

Yeah I thought about that but I want to make the control panel of the woofer a feature of the front panel of the cab, it will sit just under the coin door in a column which runs down the center of the cabinet under the joystick panels. I'm sure the bass may be better at the back, but believe me this thing pumps out more than enough to piss my wife off no matter where I place it.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 11:55:40 am »
TheShaner, two questions for you...

- How did you deal with mitered joints with the laminate? I saw Epyx's awesome tutorial on laminate and that answered a lot of questions but I noticed that he was routing the laminate with a flush bit after applying it to a mitered edge. Now I know this sounds super anal but that would leave a 16th of an inch gap between the mating faces of the mitered corner rather than having a perfectly sharp joint. How did you do your mitered laminated corners?

- How many buttons did you use for your admin controls and what were they? My touchscreen software solution is planning to have 6 buttons so hopefully that is enough.

rablack97

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 12:06:20 pm »
If your cab will be against a wall or in a corner, you might want to consider rear placement.  I believe this helps the bass, acoustically.

Yeah I thought about that but I want to make the control panel of the woofer a feature of the front panel of the cab, it will sit just under the coin door in a column which runs down the center of the cabinet under the joystick panels. I'm sure the bass may be better at the back, but believe me this thing pumps out more than enough to piss my wife off no matter where I place it.

Actually the sub is already ported, so front or back your gonna get the same effect.  Shaner grilled the back on his cab, which was a good idea for vibration purposes, it gave the air the bass creates somewhere to escape.

So you have 2 options, make sure everything is super tightened down and leave it enclosed.  You wil get a more tight bass effect.  Or you can grill the back out and have more of a thunderous ringing effect.

Regardess, being that ist's in such a confined space, front should be just fine.  It's whether or not you port the cab.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 12:14:49 pm »
- How many buttons did you use for your admin controls and what were they? My touchscreen software solution is planning to have 6 buttons so hopefully that is enough.

Is this going to be a MAME only cab?

IMHO admin buttons are highly over-rated i think 6 on my cab and only use 3.........Exit, Go, and Admin(tab button for mame menu)....I have a hard reset, fast forward, and a tools button, all have dust on them.

Although I use hyperspin, groovy mame or mala might call for more admin buttons.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 12:23:28 pm »
Is this going to be a MAME only cab?
IMHO admin buttons are highly over-rated i think 6 on my cab and only use 3.........Exit, Go, and Admin(tab button for mame menu)....I have a hard reset, fast forward, and a tools button, all have dust on them.
Although I use hyperspin, groovy mame or mala might call for more admin buttons.

It will have mame, snes, nes, and ultrastar karaoke so I think 6 buttons should be more than enough. Ultrastar is menu driven with esc or backspace to go back so nothing too complex

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 12:28:08 pm »
TheShaner, two questions for you...

- How did you deal with mitered joints with the laminate? I saw Epyx's awesome tutorial on laminate and that answered a lot of questions but I noticed that he was routing the laminate with a flush bit after applying it to a mitered edge. Now I know this sounds super anal but that would leave a 16th of an inch gap between the mating faces of the mitered corner rather than having a perfectly sharp joint. How did you do your mitered laminated corners?

Not sure if this totally answers the question or not, but I only laminated the sides.  So it is a flat piece of wood getting laminated.  Then just compensate for the thickness of the laminate when doing your slot routing.  The best bet will be to get a piece of wood of the same thickness as what you are working with for the sides and throw a piece of laminate on it.  Then trial and error with the slot and a piece of test TMolding (you can order up to 2 samples from tmolding.com for free, they work perfectly for testing.)  Once you have it perfect to where the tmolding just covers the thickness of the laminate, you are there.

On the admin buttons, I only have MAME set up fully right now, I am still working out the kinks of NES, SNES, and N64.  I plan on doing a large number of consoles.  For MAME, I really only have 3, but they are repeated on each side.  Start, Pause, Coin.  I have shifted everything else.  So, shift start exits the game and acts as cancel out of menus etc.  I originally had an exit up there, but the kids kept hitting it on accident while hitting the coin button.  I will probably shift the coin eventually so it is not so easy to use for newbs that step up to the cab.  I will want them to use quarters for the experience.

I am using MALA for my front end.

let me know if that didnt answer your question on the laminate.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 12:29:37 pm »
Yeah, it's a catch 22.  6 lit-up admin lights look pretty cool on the dashboard, so it's mainly for eye candy.

Your gonna do a touch screen, so really you can put as many as you want on it, some may never get used.

It's the placement of the buttons and or descriptions on your touchscreen thats gonna drive how many you have, cause then it will become a matter of what looks good aesthetically.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 12:41:47 pm »

No I was referring to the edges where two pieces of wood meet at an angle and both are laminated. To be honest when I think of it, I probably dont want something too sharp anyway as it might actually chip or worse injure little hands if they catch the corner wrong, so maybe the natural 'rounding' effect of having the laminate meet may be preferrable. If I see a gap I can always finish it with a little black caulking or even put some polished corner protectors on to avoid damage to the cab or humans.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 12:47:46 pm »
Just went and looked at my setup.....

On hyperspin(and i'm sure others) game selection is done with your j-stik and your buttons on CP.  I mapped my GO button on dashboard to -Enter- as some of my oddball emulators required -Enter- to start up.

So Coin, P1 Start and pause are next to each other on the CP above each j-stik.

Admin and exit are on the dashboard far away from gameplay...only reason to touch the dashboard would be for exit and admin purposes only.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 12:51:11 pm »

No I was referring to the edges where two pieces of wood meet at an angle and both are laminated. To be honest when I think of it, I probably dont want something too sharp anyway as it might actually chip or worse injure little hands if they catch the corner wrong, so maybe the natural 'rounding' effect of having the laminate meet may be preferrable. If I see a gap I can always finish it with a little black caulking or even put some polished corner protectors on to avoid damage to the cab or humans.

Got it, I thought you might be talking about that.  I chose to laminate only my flat surfaces (sides), and paint my inner, mitered joins (back and front).  It turned out well.  I would be curious to see how someone has gone about laminating joins.  I would assume you could bend over them if the transition wasnt too great, but there are all kinds of complications with trying to laminate sandwiched wood...

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 12:56:15 pm »
Admin and exit are on the dashboard far away from gameplay...only reason to touch the dashboard would be for exit and admin purposes only.

Sounds like I have it more than covered then as I have P1 and P2 buttons, Coin1 and Coin2 buttons already covered in my controller so the touchscreen will really be handling things like tab menus, escaping the emulators and maybe some other bits and pieces. To be honest it's really just gong to be eye candy, the screen has been sitting in a box in my closet for two years so I figured I may as well give it something to do.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2012, 01:26:44 pm »
TheShaner, do you have the template for your control panel in an outline/vector format? If so could I steal it from you, sure would save me a lot of work reinventing the wheel, I could pull it into illustrator and then mod it to fit my cab and the extra bits and pieces like the touchscreen

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2012, 01:46:21 pm »
Yes, I actually do.  I will get it to you here in a couple of hours.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:46 pm »
Yes, I actually do.  I will get it to you here in a couple of hours.

Awesome, thanks that will be a huge help

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »
All my motor bits are arriving from Pololu today so that opens the door for me to start work on the screen rotation mechanism, hopefully over the weekend. I've read through DNA Dan's build on the rotating screen and taken some great pointers from his documentation. I've been planning this one out in my head for a week or so and think I have some decent ideas to get the mechanism to be more compact. I only have 0.5" of clearance inside the cabinet so it is essential that the entire setup fits exactly within that space. I know how I am going to do the screen masking and how I want to assemble the drive. I am just hoping that investing the extra money in a motor with a CPR encoder will give me the precise variable speed control that I want to bring the screen to a soft slow stop at the end of each rotation.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2012, 03:43:40 pm »
TheShaner, do you have the template for your control panel in an outline/vector format? If so could I steal it from you, sure would save me a lot of work reinventing the wheel, I could pull it into illustrator and then mod it to fit my cab and the extra bits and pieces like the touchscreen

Here you go

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2012, 03:44:26 pm »
Here you go
Sweet! Thanks a bunch!!

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2012, 04:11:36 pm »
Trying to work out how to double up some buttons so I can make the most of my ipac v2,

I'm thinking

Player 1 8-way and dedicated 4-way joystick share the same inputs.
Player 1 buttons 1&2, trackball buttons 1&2 and dedicated 4-way buttons 1&2 can all share the same inputs.
(Potential extra P1 & P2 rotary joysticks sharing ports with P1 and P2 8-Way sticks)

This way I can have
2 players with 8 way joysticks, separate rotary joysticks and 7 buttons - 22 IPAC inputs
1 dedicated player 1 4-way joystick with 2 buttons - 0 extra IPAC Inputs
1 dedicated player 1 trackball with 2 buttons - 0 extra IPAC inputs
4 dedicated player 1 pinball buttons - 4 IPAC inputs
2x Player Start buttons - 2 IPAC inputs
2x Player Coin buttons - 2 IPAC inputs

As I am not using any admin buttons on the IPAC2 this should still leave me with 2 extra inputs

Am I thinking this out correctly?

I'm assuming a spinner and a trackball have their own control interfaces
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:25:15 pm by griffindodd »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2012, 05:31:22 pm »
Just added a GGG True4™ - Pure 4-Way Arcade Joystick to the pile o' parts for the controller. Once I get my Ultimarc RGB buttons I'll see how many more I need to put in and pick up the rest, may as well have every button RGB.

Considering putting in extra rotating joysticks for P1 & P2 as I am a HUUUUUUGE Ikari warriors fan, I think I'm going to pass on the spinner, I'll probably go for a trackball but I'm still chewing it over.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2012, 05:35:24 pm »
I am regretting not having the ability to play ikari warriors or smashtv.  I have been debating redoing my control panel with extra joys for player one and two ... probably will here in a month.

Every button RGB?  That will take a couple of PAC's probably.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #65 on: July 25, 2012, 05:39:03 pm »
Every button RGB?  That will take a couple of PAC's probably.

I'm hoping to get lucky and double up some of them like the pinball buttons sharing some pac64 ports

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2012, 12:16:30 am »
Well it was time to get my techy hat on tonight and it went ok...

All my rotation gear arrived from Pololu and Amazon...

Simple Motor Controller, drive wheels, 18v7 Metal Geared Motor with sensor, 12v DC power converter and a 300lb Lazy Susan baring.

I used to be the world's worst solderer, now I'm almost mediocre, a great improvement...

It was definitely one of those moments when I wired everything up, plugged it in and waited for the bang, then this happened..

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 01:07:20 pm »
After talking with DNA Dan a little I've decided to stay away from the friction based drive mechanism as it has too many potential failure points. I did a little looking around on Amazon and found some nice little lexan Timing belt pulleys and a neoprene timing belt to match.

With these I can do a direct drive solution with a toothed belt. I'll still use the lazy susan baring at my main axle, but I'll sandwich the larger pulley between that and the monitor and then drive the rotation via the belt and the second smaller pulley attached the to the Pololu motor. You can see in the video that the motor is already capable of very slow rotation, so I'm hoping that combined with the approximate 4:1 reduction ratio I am adding with the pulleys that I can get a smooth rotation that isn't too fast.

I'm going to stop rotation with a physical barrier coupled with roller micro switches that send a fault state to the motor controller which cuts power to the motor until the next command is initiated (I got this tip from DNA Dan, he says it works well on his setup)

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:11 pm »
Your cab is taking shape, and it has a rotating monitor! What else can I say?

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »
Your cab is taking shape, and it has a rotating monitor! What else can I say?

It has the pieces for a rotating monitor, but we'll see if it actually HAS a rotating monitor lol. This is the piece I have been spinning the most brain cycles on for sure.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »
...This is the piece I have been spinning the most brain cycles on for sure.

You will get it.After a while it becomes a challenge.

Good luck on your build, I will be watching this one..

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 09:05:08 pm »
Ambient lighting gear arrived today, this should be fun to play with. RGB LED lighting strips with a remote control, sound reactive controller...

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2012, 09:25:22 am »
Finished up the framing at last (I think) ending with the more complex cuts around the foot rests and center column which houses the subwoofer and the coin slot. I angled the footplates so they are more comfortable, but also so they are already set up for pedals in the future.

Time to go back to the artwork and adjust it to compliment the newly evolved structure.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2012, 04:12:43 pm »
Cabinet artwork updated to reflect the new shape of the cab. Also did the artwork for my controller, pretty happy with the way it came out (Thanks TheShaner for letting me borrow your base button layouts as a starting point)  :applaud: Artwork is in the 1st post.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »
Loving the artwork........

One thing though, isn't that 4 way stick mighty close to your 8-way.  I see your trying to space things out for the touchscreen.  I'm thinking you'll be using the normal left hand. Seems like you would bump into that 8-way or accidentally hit buttons below it.......

Hit up OND on that rotating screen thingy, he did the same thing.....He's the forum MacGyver. :dizzy:

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2012, 06:11:55 pm »
Decided to do a mock-up in Photoshop to get a real feel for how it's going to look....

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2012, 06:21:51 pm »
One thing though, isn't that 4 way stick mighty close to your 8-way.  I see your trying to space things out for the touchscreen.  I'm thinking you'll be using the normal left hand. Seems like you would bump into that 8-way or accidentally hit buttons below it.......

Yeah it may be a little tight, I thought about ditching the touch screen, but then it would have felt like a compromised, and I hate that feeling, so I'm going to lay it out in cardboard and see how it feels in the real world.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »
Trying to work out how to double up some buttons so I can make the most of my ipac v2,
. . . .
4 dedicated player 1 pinball buttons - 4 IPAC inputs
. . . .
As I am not using any admin buttons on the IPAC2 this should still leave me with 2 extra inputs
Assuming that you want to run Visual Pinball or Future Pinball on your cab with the ability to properly play almost any table, including those with upper flippers or Magnasave:

1. You need an input for ball launcher (enter) and a button {+1 input}

2. Wire the left flipper in parallel with Player 1 Button 4. (L-Shift) {-1 input}

3. Wire the left Magnasave/upper flipper in parallel with Player 1 Button 1 and Player 2 Button 1. (L-Ctrl and A) {-2 inputs}

4. Map an unused input on your encoder to R-Shift and connect it to the right flipper. {no change in # of inputs}

5. Map two unused inputs on your encoder to Apostrophe and "R-Ctrl" and connect both to the right Magnasave/upper flipper. {+2 inputs}

Scott

EDIT: Just realized that when I posted in this thread, I forgot to attach the diagram for how to wire P1B1 and P2B1 in parallel to one button for left upper flipper/Magnasave while still allowing them to operate independently.

My apologies if this has caused any frustration or difficulties.   :banghead:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:16:52 pm by PL1 »

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
Re: Scratch build - Marvel vs Capcom: Revolution - Framing complete
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2012, 09:42:08 pm »
A big thanks to Kalars123 who sold me this stash of great parts for a steal...

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »
Assuming that you want to run Visual Pinball or Future Pinball on your cab with the ability to properly play almost any table, including those with upper flippers or Magnasave:

1. You need an input for ball launcher (enter) and a button {+1 input}
2. Wire the left flipper in parallel with Player 1 Button 4. (L-Shift) {-1 input}
3. Wire the left Magnasave/upper flipper in parallel with Player 1 Button 1 and Player 2 Button 1. (L-Ctrl and A) {-2 inputs}
4. Map an unused input on your encoder to R-Shift and connect it to the right flipper. {no change in # of inputs}
5. Map two unused inputs on your encoder to Apostrophe and "R-Ctrl" and connect both to the right Magnasave/upper flipper. {+2 inputs}

Thanks Scott, I do want to play pinball for sure, it's the main reason that the main screen will rotate, what do all these mysterious buttons do?