Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: first build bar top,"The Grid" (99% done + video)  (Read 12829 times)

teeuwen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2017, 08:33:57 am
first build bar top,"The Grid" (99% done + video)
« on: July 18, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »
Why hello there!  ;D

First post on this forum, been lurking for about three weeks.

I got the idea to make a mame cabinet recently while i was deciding what to do with my old computer.

The computer is a pentium 4 with H/T 3.2ghz with 2.5 gigs of ram.

The screen is a 19 4:3 aspect ratio lcd screen i had sitting around from my old computer.

The cabinet is roughly based off of a forum user here who build a neo geo inspired unit i sorta just copied the design off of his and figured out what size it would have to be.

anyways here was the first day.

:blah: :blah:

i cut it out of 5/8 sanded plywood, they were out of 1/2 and i didn't want to wait to get started on the build.
I used these 1" by 1" cendar square lengths of wood i found to make bracing for the unit.
I cut the both side with a traced out template i made earlier so i could make sure the size would be large enough, once they were both cut individually i clampled them together and sanded the edges at the same time.

spent a whole day doing the bracing and sanding, had to come back a few days later to construct the unit, i had some old sony speakers from my old computer and decided to use them since they are powered and amplified, took them apart and i will just extend wires to them later on.

Came back a few days later, decided to work on the bezel holder and sand the unit some more, fill some cracks in with wood filler, and decided to mount the monitor, it ended up pretty good but i may need to adjust it still.
I made the bezel holder out of some wood trim i found that is essentially a 90 degree piece rounded on the inside, but the nice thing is the inside has a groove that will hold a piece of plexiglass nicely, the blue tape is a covered piece, though i am going to have to replace it since i think its scratched. but it will just be a place holder for now until i do the final building and painting.

The plexi was 5/64, i think it was way to thin to work with and snapped more then it cut.

anyways im going to finish the edge of the plywood with a adhesive birch strip to make it appear as a solid piece of wood rather then plywood, for the back i have some hindges and a little hook latch that should close the back off nicely. local hardware store had them on sale for 50% off.

i have some zippyy joysticks with the quieter microswitches and some buttons or order from groovy game gear, didn't want to spend a lot at first since i tend to have a lot of pipe dream projects that i don't finish or give up on, so far it seems like i will finish this unit.  :dunno

i need to figure out a way to do the sizing on the front plexi better and a way to mount it nicely.

sorry about pictures not being the best, took them with my blackberry in low light.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 12:21:03 pm by teeuwen »

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: first build bar top, 2 player 6 button, first post and build.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »
Good luck with your build, looking pretty good so far. I love building these little buggers, got to bring mine all over California even into some bars that were pretty laid back.  :cheers:

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:40:07 am »
I have decided i am going to make a wood bezel for the screen to surround it, and attach my plexi via some means of velcro, that way i have access to the power button and controls of the monitor easier in case i need to.

I was wondering what control board to get?

Im debating between the keywiz 40st and getting the wiring kit with it, or the ipac controller?

I have 2 8 way joysticks, 6 buttons per player, a 1 and a 2 player button as well as 2 horizontal buttons for either side, mounted sorta in a pinball flipper button location.

Thanks for any help.  :applaud: :cheers:
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:16:18 pm by teeuwen »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2023, 08:49:34 am
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 12:43:51 pm »
I suggest looking at knohbody's LCD mount on his bartop.  I used it with great success on my stand-up.  I have 1/4" j-channel holding on my plexi..

Here's his thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116253.0

Here's how I used it:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=117977.0;all

AJ

I have decided i am going to make a wood bezel for the screen to surround it, and attach my plexi via some means of velcro, that way i have access to the power button and controls of the monitor easier in case i need to.

I was wondering what control board to get?

Im debating between the Gpwiz40 max and getting the wiring kit with it, or the ipac controller?

I have 2 8 way joysticks, 6 buttons per player, a 1 and a 2 player button as well as 2 horizontal buttons for either side, mounted sorta in a pinball flipper button location.

Thanks for any help.  :applaud: :cheers:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:42:35 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:01:35 pm »
Im debating between the keywiz 40st and getting the wiring kit with it, or the ipac controller?

Either encoder will work well for this setup.

Since you have pinball flipper buttons, You may want to add a pinball launch (Enter) button on the front as well.  (Ignore the shooter in the diagram below.) Here's where I placed the flippers and launch so the front corners don't dig into your palm, and you can keep your fingers on the flippers while reaching around with your thumb to launch the ball.

To make your setup work for almost any Visual Pinball or Future Pinball table, wire the second flipper button for upper flippers and Magnasave.  Some tables have separate upper flipper controls like the Family Guy table with Stewie's playfield, while others have Magnasave.  The good news is that I can't think of any tables that use both the upper flippers and Magnasave.  You can just wire left-upper-flipper and left-Magnasave together and trigger both keypresses ("A" and "L-Ctrl") with one button. Same on the right. (Apostrophe and "R-Ctrl")

Assuming that you're running Visual Pinball or Future Pinball:
Wire the left flipper in parallel with Player 1 Button 4. (L-Shift)
Wire the left Magnasave/upper flipper in parallel with Player 1 Button 1 and Player 2 Button 1. (L-Ctrl and A)
Map an unused input on your encoder to R-Shift and connect it to the right flipper.
Map two unused inputs on your encoder to Apostrophe and "R-Ctrl" and connect both to the right Magnasave/upper flipper.

Scott

EDIT: Just realized that when I posted in this thread, I forgot to attach the diagram for how to wire P1B1 and P2B1 in parallel to one button for left upper flipper/Magnasave while still allowing them to operate independently.

My apologies if this has caused any frustration or difficulties.   :banghead:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:03:29 pm by PL1 »

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 10:07:58 pm »
So i framed the front of the unit today and i think it finishes off the front of the unit. i was actually surprised i managed to cut the frame to the right size and centered it just right first try. unit is coming together pretty fast.

I also met a contact yesterday that i helped out with some plumbing supplies and found out that he worked at a local glass shop, i picked up a nice sheet of polycarbonet today for my arcade that should be very very nice for 25$

here is some update pictures.

i included some pictures of the back of the unit and the inside, the panel that is open on the back will have a hinged door, with a hook latch that i already spoke about early, hopefully should turn out well, i do plan to mount two 120mm computer fans on the door and aswell will make some holes in the top for a vent.

killsurfcity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2012, 10:36:52 am
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:19:37 am »
Love the shape! Coming along nicely.  :cheers:

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 01:53:40 pm »
Looks really nice.  I like the shape(s) in the back.  I would suggest only that you put some sort of vent on the bottom, too so that the fans can suck air across.  I think Knievel did this on his bartop by leaving a 1/2" space between the bottom board and the vertical board just under the CP.

Nice job...watchin with pregnant anticipation.

AJ

Unstupid

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2021, 08:46:34 am
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 02:32:38 am »
The cabinet is roughly based off of a forum user here who build a neo geo inspired unit i sorta just copied the design off of his and figured out what size it would have to be.

Woah... I'd like to meet that guy!   :D

Following your build.... it looks pretty good so far!  Ya did a nice job with the back of the cabinet getting the panels to line up.  Did you not cut a t-molding slot?  Also whats your plan for speaker grills?

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:49:18 am »

Woah... I'd like to meet that guy!   :D

Following your build.... it looks pretty good so far!  Ya did a nice job with the back of the cabinet getting the panels to line up.  Did you not cut a t-molding slot?  Also whats your plan for speaker grills?

hello unstupid! yes that guy is you, i really liked your design  :applaud: :notworthy: and i know mine is technically not exactly the same, it did inspire the shape of mine.

I decided not to go with t-molding as its not going to be 100% true authentic but i did finish the edge of the plywood on friday with an iron on adhesive birch strip that finishes off the edge nicely, For the speaker grill's i bought a bundle of acoustic mesh cloth, and am going to build a panel that clips or screws to the speaker area and covers it entirely, decided to go this way incase the speakers i put in are not totally up to par or eventually go.

Will have more pictures for everyone soon, hopefully my joysticks and buttons come this week some time so i can start templating out the control panel.

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 11:18:38 am »
still working away at my arcade.

Started priming it for paint, its going to be a color close to the donkey kong blue.

I have recieved my buttons and joysticks, and decided to go with a keywiz 40st as you don't technically need any drivers for the unit to work.

Does anyone know a good way to make a hole for a fan without a proper size holesaw? i want to put two 120mm fans on the back of the unit but havent come up with a good way to cut them out, i don't want them to look horrible.

Pretty soon i should have everything together though, hopefully it comes out okay.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:44:29 am by teeuwen »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »
Does anyone know a good way to make a hole for a fan without a proper size holesaw? i want to put two 120mm fans on the back of the unit but havent come up with a good way to cut them out, i don't want them to look horrible.

If you have a Dremel rotary tool, there are two attachments you might want to consider.

The first is the Model 678-01 Circle Cutter.

It cuts circles from 3/4" to 12" in diameter.

The other is the older style Model 330 Router Attachment.

The Model 330 is getting hard to find, but can make a perfect circle like this.

Protip -- When set to the smallest possible radius, it makes a perfect mounting hole for the Ultimarc U-Trak Trackball.

Scott

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 07:39:17 pm »
I took some pictures of the control panel today, i found a layout that i liked off of slag coin, i made my arcade a bit wider 22.5" so i would have more then enough room for two players with 6 buttons each.

aswell the paint can in the background is the color i will be painting my arcade, i think the screen will still be frame with black though.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:26:48 pm »
Nice.  I'm a sucker for GT Blue:

AJ

I took some pictures of the control panel today, i found a layout that i liked off of slag coin, i made my arcade a bit wider 22.5" so i would have more then enough room for two players with 6 buttons each.

aswell the paint can in the background is the color i will be painting my arcade, i think the screen will still be frame with black though.

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 03:06:59 pm »
A question for everyone.

The motherboard I am using has onboard video card built in, but I am curious if I should use the pci express nvidia 9800gt card I have laying around. I did build my cabinet with enough room for that in mind, though I am not sure if I will be exactly using it?

I want to run mame and snes, nes, sega, I was thinking of possibly running n64 and dreamcast as well but I am not entirely sure that a Pentium 4 with H/T at 3.4 GHz will be sufficient for this.

I am just looking for suggestions on what to do exactly.

As far as an operating system I haven’t decided on one yet, I do have a legitimate copy of windows xp available that I did get with the Pentium 4. Though I don’t know what I am going to use for a front end yet.

My key wiz 40st arrived in the mail today, and this weekend I am going to go about painting the rest of the arcade the final color as well as possibly drilling out the control panel (though not sure if I am going to take this step yet) as well as mounting and cutting the polycarbonate and templating out the bezel that will be made out of a black construction paper.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2012, 03:51:44 pm »
I'm running a P4 3.2 with a gig of RAM.  Hyperspin won't run on it very well and neither will some of the newer emu's like PS2, Gamecube, etc.  Mostly if the original game ran off a CD/Disc, the P4 won't cut it as most of these require a dual core like a Core 2Duo. 

I have no problems with the onboard video running Mame, N64, SNES and Atari 2600.  Never a refresh problem or anything like that.

AJ

A question for everyone.

The motherboard I am using has onboard video card built in, but I am curious if I should use the pci express nvidia 9800gt card I have laying around. I did build my cabinet with enough room for that in mind, though I am not sure if I will be exactly using it?

I want to run mame and snes, nes, sega, I was thinking of possibly running n64 and dreamcast as well but I am not entirely sure that a Pentium 4 with H/T at 3.4 GHz will be sufficient for this.

I am just looking for suggestions on what to do exactly.

As far as an operating system I haven’t decided on one yet, I do have a legitimate copy of windows xp available that I did get with the Pentium 4. Though I don’t know what I am going to use for a front end yet.

My key wiz 40st arrived in the mail today, and this weekend I am going to go about painting the rest of the arcade the final color as well as possibly drilling out the control panel (though not sure if I am going to take this step yet) as well as mounting and cutting the polycarbonate and templating out the bezel that will be made out of a black construction paper.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
Since you have pinball flipper buttons, I assume you want to run Visual Pinball/Future Pinball.

VP/FP use a lot more GPU than the other emulators you want to run.

For higher resolution tables, onboard video may not be able to keep up.  I had to upgrade from onboard video to an Evga GeForce GT 430 card to keep the Doctor Who backglass from looking like Tom Baker's scarf.  :laugh2:

Your 9800gt should do just fine.

Scott

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2012, 11:16:54 am »
update

made some progress yesterday, i got up fairly early and headed off to my parents house to get started on the arcade.

I managed to borrow a 4 1/2 hole saw from a guy at work, so i could drill out the holes for the 120mm fans that i will be installing in the back.

My brother in law is visiting at the moment with my sister, so he helped me apply the paint to my arcade, did two coats and i will be letting it dry until Monday when i will go over it again
with a light sand and get it looking nice.

I also cut the polycarb for the arcade unit, man this stuff cuts awesome with a jig saw, i cut the first piece perfect for the arcade unit, as well i had some left over so i made a cover for the control panel as well as re did the marquee.

Does anyone know what hole size i need for arcade buttons? 1" was to small...... and i had a hole saw that was larger didn't have any stamping on it but it was to big.

What would be the best way to drill out the poly carb and the control panel at the same time ?

thanks  :cheers:

Termin8tor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2020, 01:54:23 am
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2012, 12:21:08 pm »
I use a 18mm spade bit for buttons, this will go right through the layers to limit blow out use a scrap piece of wood underneath (use plenty of clamps).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:23:20 pm by Termin8tor »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2012, 01:39:44 pm »
Does anyone know what hole size i need for arcade buttons? 1" was to small...... and i had a hole saw that was larger didn't have any stamping on it but it was to big.

What would be the best way to drill out the poly carb and the control panel at the same time ?

The buttons in your earlier photos are standard arcade button size = 1-1/8" (or 30mm if you want just a little more wiggle room.)

+1 on the scrap wood underneath and clamps.

Take your time drilling the polycarb to avoid cracking it. 

You may want to do a a practice run with some scraps to be sure you've got the right technique and methods.

Scott

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2012, 02:07:35 pm »
i should be using a spade bit instead of a hole saw for the holes threw the control panel and the polycarb right?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:36:37 pm by teeuwen »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 03:17:11 pm »
i should be using a spade bit instead of a hole saw for the holes threw the control panel and the polycarb right?

Selfie is a pro on this.

Here is his stickied thread on the subject.

Scott

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 04:29:06 pm »
sorry for all the posts today if there seems to be many.

was going to ask, i need to make a power entry on the cab, i want to essentially splice a power bar into it from the inside.

what exactly do i have to be looking for as far as ratings go?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2012, 12:10:43 am »
**Assuming U.S. standard 115VAC, 60 Hz power input**

Voltage rating: 125 VAC or 250 VAC are OK.

Amperage: Usually 10 Amp fuse (if applicable)

Make sure you get a 3-conductor feedthru like the one in your picture.

If you find one with an illuminated switch, Rablack97 or I can help you with how to wire it so the switch works and the light lights. We got his wired right just recently--should probably add a how-to diagram to the wiki page.

Best bet is to post a link to your proposed source.

Let me know if your local power grid is different than posted at top. (Sometimes I forget what country people are posting from.)

Scott

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 11:51:32 pm »
Well i have finally brought the unit home yesterday, i got a power switch installed on the back and drilled out the side holes for the two buttons that are sitting horizontal.

I don't have my control board drilled out yet, and also haven't decided on a color for it but will be doing that soon.

I wanted to test my monitor out today, to make sure that i didn't damage it during the build, so i plugged it into my computer and went on youtube and watch a video of donkey kong jr being played to sort of get an idea of what its going to be like playing on this unit.

Looks awesome! can't wait to start completing the computer inside of it.

:) :) :)

I will be framing the monitor soon with some black construction paper, i will not be leaving it un-framed as it sits now.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 12:21:16 am »
Actually, the best way to get the CP plexi done right is with a router.  When drilling with the spade bits, you MUST sandwich it, otherwise, you'll get cracking.

I'm guessing you don't have a router, so here's what I would do.

1.) cut the plexi overlay to match the CP.  If it's not perfect, sand the edges until it fits just a little tight.
2.) sandwich in the following order....a.) sacrafice piece of wood, larger then the CP b.) plexi.. c.) the CP flipped upside down...no matter how square you think something is, it's better to cut/drill/route them in their final orientation...and in step 1, you made it fit it its original place.  Make sure this sandwich is clamped VERY tight.
3.)  Drill slowly. 
YMMV.

AJ

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 01:33:24 am »
I've never sandwiched.  I drill a pilot hole and then go slow with the spade until it scores the circle then increase speed.  I usually have pretty good luck and haven't ruined any of the last few that I've done.  Sure accidents happen but I'm guessing it's at a similar rate to clamping and sandwiching.  I always cut the CP and plexi separately, I use a cheap-o printout of the CPO to mark my centers.  I like being able to see what's going on with the plexi and if it looks like it's getting stressed I can change tools.

Different strokes for different folks.  Same advice you'll see throughout is to go slow. 

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 11:29:05 am »
+1 on slow!!  Some say to even go backwards with the spade bit, so it's just burning through the plexi.

Personally, I found the router to be the best for me.  Like you said, I could see the material as I worked.  Plus I just laid the plexi down on the already finished CP, clamped it, drilled pilot holes big enough for the flush trim bit to fit through and zipped around the holes.  Then I put in a 45 chamfer bit and did the hole for the joys and trackball. 

Once that was done, I put in several buttons to hold it all together and used the flush trim bit to do the outside edge so it was perfect around the perimeter of the CP.

AJ

I've never sandwiched.  I drill a pilot hole and then go slow with the spade until it scores the circle then increase speed.  I usually have pretty good luck and haven't ruined any of the last few that I've done.  Sure accidents happen but I'm guessing it's at a similar rate to clamping and sandwiching.  I always cut the CP and plexi separately, I use a cheap-o printout of the CPO to mark my centers.  I like being able to see what's going on with the plexi and if it looks like it's getting stressed I can change tools.

Different strokes for different folks.  Same advice you'll see throughout is to go slow.

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 01:22:30 am »
Hi everyone,

So I have done a bit more work. I framed the monitor completely now so you cannot see the bezel of the monitor as well I have mounted the polycarb which fits very nicely.

I also completed the speaker assembly which is completely covered in an acoustic mesh and is secured with heavy duty velcro and one screw in the middle.

The usb light I had mounted inside the marquee seemed to have been damaged so I have a cold cathode on order that should work okay for the job.

Still haven't got around to drilling out the control panel.... The final step really except I have to purchase a power bar still and splice that in.

I mounted the motherboard and video card aswell. I used poly tubing from my work 1/4 for spacers and brass screws to secure it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:24:46 am by teeuwen »

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
Hi everyone,

So i put the pedal to the medal on my project and decide to get the computer all mounted, my cold cathodes arrived and the only thing i needed to do was my control panel...

Well i bit the bullet and decided to just dive in, i used a spade bit on the poly carbonate and it actually ended up really nice.

Now i just need to figure out some artwork, and figure out the mala front end.

teeuwen

• Offline Offline
I made a Video of my first try of a mala front end and starting video,

i have decided to call the arcade "The Grid"

http://youtu.be/5dTHY0ZVuvI?hd=1

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
Re: first build bar top,"The Grid" (99% done + video)
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2012, 12:27:40 pm »
Very cool.  What controls are you using for Tempest?

AJ