Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Games locking up with magic resolutions  (Read 2905 times)

blontic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2020, 08:03:28 am
Games locking up with magic resolutions
« on: July 16, 2012, 02:10:09 am »
When I specify these MS9 setting in my ini file for my MS8 chassis I find I can't run any vertical games. If I just leave in the default values that come with vmmaker (1.3c version) I can run older vertical games but no new vertical games (cave etc).

New games the screen is black and I can hear the game sound running at 200% speed. Locks up my whole PC and I have to do a hard reset.

Does anyone use a MS8?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 02:15:20 am by blontic »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2024, 02:02:31 pm
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 12:28:30 pm »
When I specify these MS9 setting in my ini file for my MS8 chassis I find I can't run any vertical games. If I just leave in the default values that come with vmmaker (1.3c version) I can run older vertical games but no new vertical games (cave etc).

New games the screen is black and I can hear the game sound running at 200% speed. Locks up my whole PC and I have to do a hard reset.

Does anyone use a MS8?

Hi blontic, I think that problem is not related to the MS8 settings but to something else. Are you using magic resolutions? If so, what's your video card model? Are you using ddraw? Try d3d instead.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

blontic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I am using magic resolutions with ddraw. My card is a x300 series so I thought it wouldn't support d3d.

I will give it a shot. Thanks.

blontic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:48:22 am »

Hi blontic, I think that problem is not related to the MS8 settings but to something else. Are you using magic resolutions? If so, what's your video card model? Are you using ddraw? Try d3d instead.

I changed it to d3d in my mame.ini but DonPachi still doesn't work, I also tried Street Fighter 2 and it kept locking up after playing for a min. I changed it back to ddraw and SF2 was fine again.

Not sure what is going on. Should I be able to run these games with magic resolutions?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
Re: Games locking up with magic resolutions
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 08:26:15 am »
I decided to split this topic for clarity.

There's something odd going on. First I would discard it's magic resolutions related. So create a classic 'dynamic' mode table with vmmaker and try those games again. Keep total modes to 120, Hyperspin won't start - in case you're using it - that's normal, use command line for the tests.

Also, it's a good idea to post some logs of your problematic games here.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

blontic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 12:03:14 am »
Hi Calamity,

I changed it from magic to dynamic and when I ran vmmaker it now says 120 modelines. I rebooted and tested DonPachi again from the command line but the screen goes black and I can hear the game sound running much faster then normal speed and I can't exit the game (need to hard reset)

Attached is the log from running ume.exe d:\roms\donpachi.zip -v -md 4 >donpachi.txt

I am using the following:
i5 cpu
4GB ram
x300 series GPU (Calamity 6.5 drivers)
Namao MS8 Monitor
JPAC with jumper on 15hz & 30hz (which is default)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 12:35:08 am by blontic »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:22:33 am »
That's interesting. Try the same game with the -nomultithreading param.

Also, launch Arcade_OSD and try the resolution 688x512@58, just in case.
Steps to create a log:

blontic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 04:18:53 am »
Hi Calamity, I tried using -nomultithreading but I get the black screen again and it locks the PC. I can few it fine with Arcade_OSD in horizontal but couldn't work out how to test it vertical, any ideas?

Thanks again.

aflo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2013, 09:20:21 am
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 06:57:27 pm »
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a very similar issue as the OP (donpachi as well, vert on a horizontal).

If I run: mame donpachi, I can get the game to run but it looks crazy ugly as I'm assuming it is virtualizing and stretching the screen to fit my monitor.

If I run: mame donpachi -cleanstretch, I get like the OP and get a black screen, but i can put coins in and hear the sound.

If I run: mame donpachi -noswitchres -triplebuffer -mt, It runs clear and clean at 100%. with black bars on the side as I am playing vert on a horizontal.

Using hyperspin as my frontend, I have setup another wheel for my vert shmups (with the different command line changes) but would rather have all my games under the mame wheel. It feels like the magic resolutions are scaling when it doesn't need to? Am I wrong about this?

Settings:
groovy mame 146
ati4800 with soft15khz for 15khz and 24khz res installed
Nanao ms9-29 with proper mon settings in the .ini (taken from this forum)

I've attached my logs.

blontic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 08:44:33 pm »
Just an updated from me. I took out my x300 and used Guru3Ds Driver sweeper to remove all drivers. I then put in a HD4870 and used magic res and D3D in my mame.ini

I can now run all games fine through groovymame. Not sure what the issue was. Maybe something with the drivers or with my x300.

I'll keep the HD4870 in as I am now also using it for SSF4.

Thanks.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:17 am »
Hi blontic, I'm happy to know that you solved it with the other card. I believe it was a driver installation issue when you were using the x300, they are unfortunately very common.

The problem reported by aflo is completely different, and it's because for some reason he's using Soft-15KHz over CRT_Emudriver, instead of using VMMaker to create the required mode table that GroovyMAME is expecting. It turns out that GM is picking a random resolution because of this.
Steps to create a log: