Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Windows 98 vs Windows98SE and WinLITE  (Read 2339 times)

CubbieRay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 15, 2002, 10:34:49 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Windows 98 vs Windows98SE and WinLITE
« on: May 18, 2002, 08:05:00 am »
I am going to try Windows 98 on my box, but it is not the SE version. Should this make a difference. It seems everyone likes W98SE, but I dont have that version, and I am hoping I will not need to buy it.

Also, does using WindowsLITE really make a difference on high end computers?

I am using:

Althon XP 1800  256M DDR, with 40gig 7200 RPM ATA/100 and a ATI RADEON 7500 w/TV out.

Thanks
Ray Gaida
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Windows 98 vs Windows98SE and WinLITE
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2002, 03:56:36 pm »
I can tell you ahead of time, forget the 98lite route.......  

It mainly only saves harddrive space, not resources and if you plan to run things other than mame on it you may run into trouble.  It tends to be very annoying because you add soemthing to your setup and it won't have a dll that was included in 98 and you have to install it.  I tried it on a test box for about a month and then formatted the thing.  :)

Also 98se is more stable than 98 simply because it has more fixes, and updates available.  Although these updates are designed to work on 98 as well, they are really geared towards 98se.  Also usb support is WAY better in 98se.  But long story short theres not a whole lot of difference between the two, it's just use se if you have it available to you.  

Btw, with a system like that I would really invest in some more ram... helps for zinc sometimes. :)  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »