Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Clyde's Corner  (Read 10067 times)

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
Clyde's Corner
« on: July 16, 2012, 08:04:55 pm »
Started a Full size(ish) Arcade Build a week or two ago starting with a mock-up of it in cardboard. ( http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121348.0 )

I built 5 bartop arcades from scratch already, mostly to pay for the big arcades pieces and practice. Still have two more in pieces I put aside so I could start a real arcade build. So far I have purchased enough wood for the shell, except for the back panel. I will be using plywood or something for that as I am trying to keep costs down and it wont be visible.

I first started by drawing out the rough shape I wanted on a sketch pad. Measured the height and width free hand. Had gotten some large cardboard boxes from Home Depot so I could mess those up and not the MDF.

I made all my marks on the cardboard and began a slicing and dicing it up and pieced it together as the Box-Cade!

Had some TVs and monitors laying around and chose the 20" LCD for this build. Will keep my width to around 2' or so. On a side note I fixed that 32" for next to nothing but decided to sell it for moneys.

Did some little revisions to the "Cardboard" side panels before tracing onto the MDF board. Then cut one side out to use as the master piece. You guys weren't kidding about the amount of dust produced by MDF.

Outlined and cut with a jig-saw just a little bit outside the line to be finished with a router. ( WAY more dust than I have ever seen using the flush trim bit )

I now have identical pieces!

That is it for now, must go to Home Depot for some plywood, and other crap I may need. After I dust myself off.

This cab is un-named and has no theme, all I knew was I wanted to build one. Am still trying to pick a good theme. Any ideas are welcomed.  :cheers: Also haven't decided on what my control panel will look like, wont have a trackball or anything. ( although I would love to have the bowling game )

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:07:45 am by CoryDee »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Currently No Name\Theme Cab
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 08:08:52 pm »
Anyone here can tell me what that bowling game is with the trackball? and do you play it often?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:06:08 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 09:14:19 pm »
Anyone here can tell me what that bowling game is with the trackball? and do you play it often?

World Class Bowling Deluxe (v2.00) - wcbowldx

Simpsons Bowling - simpbowl - Sound clips not fully functional IIRC

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:36:09 pm »

World Class Bowling Deluxe (v2.00) - wcbowldx

Simpsons Bowling - simpbowl - Sound clips not fully functional IIRC

Scott

Oh sweet Jesus, I forgot about Simpsons bowling!

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 05:49:58 am »
Had some free time tonight. Got back to some cutting.

First adding back panel supports

My screws were too short so I used a larger drill bit to remove some space before securing in place

Worked out nicely

The technique I used on the supports also works to counter sink screws ( which is good because my countersink bit sucks )

I already didn't care about what I used as my back piece so I cut up a plank of wood that was chilling up in the garage before I moved in. Probably be sanded and painted black eventually.

Supports for the top piece of MDF

Using a piece of scrap MDF to make sure I measured the thickness properly before drilling

Fits perfectly, well need to cut the top piece anyways

That's it for now, here is a half-built bartop for size comparison

Thanks for watching.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:04:35 am by CoryDee »

Seith

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
Re: My Arcade
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:17:15 am »
Nice work so far.  What caused you to halt production on that bartop?  It looks pretty far along.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 10:46:28 am »
If you look at my signature for the bartop dock, I had a friend that wanted one right away so halted production of this red button one and built him the docking station bartop goku thingy. I have another laptop for it but am excited to build the full sized arcade. I have sold all of the bartops I built and have 3 more in production that I just stopped working on.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 02:14:17 pm »
I had gotten a little bit further in this build but haven't had the time to post an update until this afternoon.

Keep in mind that I am building this with very tight budget constraints and as a means to practice this fine art.  :blah:

---------PICTURES---------

Firstly this thing needed a base, and 4x casters

I raided Home Depot's mis-cut section and got several pieces of $0.51 wood that I though I might be able to use. My kickplate is made from two of these such pieces (hint the green paint)

Made a quick mount for the LCD screen....and mounted it

Speaker\hangover thingy added

Got my color led strip in and just playing with some ideas. Not sure what to do with 10m of it......

Some quick tests with a shite computer attached. My VGA cable is broken and already ordered new ones, but until then it has a green hue to it.

That is that for now. Be kind, I have no idea what I am doing. I just hope my humble arcade looks 10% as good as some of the pros cabs.  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:16:20 pm by CoryDee »

Nephasth

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 02:28:19 pm »
Got my color led strip in and just playing with some ideas. Not sure what to do with 10m of it......

I'm installing floor lighting in my Tundra with my leftover LED strips...

Nephasth

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:42:59 pm »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:55:30 pm »
I know how I am going to finish up the cab all the way up to the Art. I can't for the life of me pick any sort of theme. I was hoping some of you fellas could share the process of how you decided on your overall theme. I just don't want to be stuck with something that I wont find aesthetically pleasing after a few months.

I figure it also needs to be console neutral. Having it be Nintendo themed and have Sega games seems odd to me. Thanks guys.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2012, 04:29:05 am »
After spending some time figuring out the design in a thread under "Artwork" I decided I would do some physical work. Routing for the t-molding and mounting the computer inside. Here are some pictures.

I made a vacuum hose connector for my router to help decrease some of the saw dust flying around my work area.

I heard getting the t-molding perfect was going to be rather difficult, and that some people have one router just for this. I was able to get it perfect (i believe anyways) the first time, not sure if it was just lucky or proper measuring....hmmmm

First was the control panel front

Then the rest and some shots of a t-molding sample placed around to test

Thanks again for looking!  :laugh: Will be getting back to learning the art side of things.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2012, 05:01:00 am »
Looks good so far.  :cheers: Be careful as you get towards the end, the small things will nickle and dime you to death.

griffindodd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2023, 02:43:19 pm
  • Builds Stuff
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 12:23:48 pm »
Looks good so far.  :cheers: Be careful as you get towards the end, the small things will nickle and dime you to death.

Aint that the truth
I drink and I know things.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 12:41:46 pm »
I have been trying to watch out for this, need to get a ton of some kind of wood putty. Any suggestions on type? Is bondo overkill?

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Cory-Cade?
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 09:13:58 pm »
I asked someone for an idea to add to my pac-man(ish) theme. I suggested I liked Clyde, they came up with this.

Creepy Clyde theme.....I laughed but not a bad idea. Not so much creepy as evil clyde arcade or something. Not sure, just bouncing ideas.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 09:47:18 pm »
For some reason, seeing that made me think of Inky, Pinky, and Blinky yelling like this at Pac-Man after he munches Clyde.

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 11:54:26 am »
Made some small changes to the side art, got rid of some cherries and added other fruits and some pretzels  :cheers:

Also, I wanted to give it ago at adding some clyde to fill in some space. Just through him in the and made him transparent.

I attached the .AI files if anyone wants to take a shot at helping me out. Any ideas welcomed!  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 12:02:42 pm by CoryDee »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Clyde's Corner
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:00 am »
Hey guys, just wanted to do some quick updates on the Arcade. Decided to change the name to Clyde's Corner, I think this fits the overall theme better than something-cade would.

I will be putting the arcade on hold to focus on a trip across the pond in November. Have been building cheap bartops to sell to friends, to hone skills and make extra spending case for my trip. This makes me sad as I really wanted to play the thing soon, so I decided to build a temp control panel out of shite wood and spare Joysticks\Buttons I had laying around. Only had enough for 4 buttons each but it worked out nicely. Found an awesome game to play head to head called "Hat Trick", needless to say many a elbows were bashed that day.

Also gave me some idea of what routing out the wood to make the joysticks flush looked like. Much easier than I thought, with a jig I could make a nice fit for them.

Hope to be back at it soon.  :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2012, 11:01:45 am »
Hey guys, just wanted to do some quick updates on the Arcade. Decided to change the name to Clyde's Corner, I think this fits the overall theme better than something-cade would.

Much better, in my opinion!  :cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2012, 05:26:21 pm »

Still no apostrophe?

I know that font has a wierd-looking one, but you mentioned possibly trying another font for just the apostrophe.

[Insert grammar joke about apostrophe showing possession by a ghost here.]   :laugh2:

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2012, 07:21:00 pm »
Haha, I actually played around with a bunch of apostrophes before posting and I couldn't find one I liked so I said f*** it for now and I would find one later.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2012, 07:54:42 pm »
If nothing else copy one of the dots from the perimeter, color match the font, and use that.
(2 minutes in MSPaint version attached)

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2012, 07:58:54 pm »
Go Away!   :angry:

Just messing, that doesn't look half bad.

GnobarEl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2019, 04:58:34 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »
Is this project completed? How it is going?

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2012, 06:31:36 pm »
Is this project completed? How it is going?

Currently just sitting in my kitchen for me to sulk at. Put it on hold cause I had a trip planned this month but has been moved to February. Wanted to save the extra money for this, decided to build some bartops to help fund the extras I might want to do abroad.

Needs a control panel, need to do the control panel art. And get all the art printed. Wiring, I have a computer for it already. Will get back on it soon I promise. Getting tired of not having my own machine to play with seeing how I have built so many.

KeithPuetz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2017, 04:26:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2012, 02:19:23 pm »
I thought arcade machines are supposed to have a kicker (square structure of wood) to keep it from falling apart and shifting the other pieces apun moving it. The arcade needs a good foundation and strong structure at the bottom, am I wrong?

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2012, 05:49:12 pm »
It seems to be holding up well. Even though it is not as wide as most full sizes. it is a heavy bastard.

cipriani2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:58:18 pm
  • All I want is everything.
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2013, 06:43:15 am »
I have no experience with t molding but I always wanted to go for it. The problem I came across was I had kind of a sharp angle on my machine. But where your control panel hits the front is kind of a sharp angle, so I was wondering what your game plan was for that area?

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2013, 10:41:26 am »
I thought arcade machines are supposed to have a kicker (square structure of wood) to keep it from falling apart and shifting the other pieces apun moving it. The arcade needs a good foundation and strong structure at the bottom, am I wrong?

Well short answer is you don't need it, but longer answer would be that in my experience the entire arcade cabinet becomes a box, whose stabilization and strength is reached by all sides/corners being screwed/nailed and wood glue.  The key really is the scrap pieces between joints and wood glue.  With these a cabinet is super strong.

Cory, good work so far man, looking great.

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2013, 03:54:24 pm »
So you got a trip planned over the pond, UK or into Central Europe?

I have no experience with t-molding but I always wanted to go for it. The problem I came across was I had kind of a sharp angle on my machine. But where your control panel hits the front is kind of a sharp angle, so I was wondering what your game plan was for that area?

I would personally go with rounding off the sharp edge a touch (That's If it is possible to do without too many issues) then you just remove part of the spine from the t-molding so that it allows you to get round a tighter angle. A touch of glue and you should be fine.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2013, 05:00:47 pm »
I have no experience with t molding but I always wanted to go for it. The problem I came across was I had kind of a sharp angle on my machine. But where your control panel hits the front is kind of a sharp angle, so I was wondering what your game plan was for that area?

Notch it like this for more flexibility.

If you can, slightly round the corners like Drnick suggests.

Scott

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2013, 12:14:15 pm »

Cheers! I am in Duuuuublin right now :cheers: Am also going to visit London and france (perhaps some ladies underpants)

I will sand the corners just a bit to make it easier on myself, learned this from all them bartops.

SUPER EDIT:

PROJECT CONVERTED FOR A CUSTOMER - SEE BUILD LOG HERE
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 06:01:34 am by CoryBee »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:19:17 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2013, 02:24:41 pm »

(perhaps some ladies underpants)

:cheers:
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***