Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Model 2 Emulator Full Screen Shooter fix - RamjetM2Borderless - App  (Read 136755 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:29:33 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: Sega Model 2 Emulator Full Screen Shooter fix - RamjetM2Borderless - App
« Reply #200 on: February 05, 2013, 07:25:12 pm »
Ok gotcha. 

Those values up in the 90000's are the ones I always find and can't seem to do anything with.  As you know without extreme back-tracking they simply freeze or crash the emu if you try to NOP them. 

What I'm using, that apparently only works in vcop, is a buffer allocated at emulator.exe+18f7bc 

This appears to be about mid-way through all the mouse mess.  This buffer gets either a 0 or a +1 (for p1 reload) +2 (for p2 reload) copied to it after reading the mouse buttons.  This buffer is then passed along to the actual running game. 

At +b6614 there is an opcode to copy the 00
At +b6620 there is an opcode to copy the 01

The 02 is down in that area as well, I just haven't mapped it out yet. 

Now setting this bit to 1 is useless...doesn't do anything, you have to set it to 1 AND fire the trigger.  Again, just works for vcop, but I don't see why a special case would be made for that game, so similar code should be in there for the other games.  My guess is this is the value that sets the light sensor.  There are other values written to addresses in this area as well in a similar manner, so that's probably the trigger and misc buttons like start ect...

RamjetR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2021, 03:27:58 am
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #201 on: February 05, 2013, 07:52:13 pm »
lol, sending offsets is starting to get tricky... I'll look into it..

Here is a ART of the locations I'm talking about... to find a repeatable one which will come up in a relaunch of the file I had to set it to search the emulator space. This looks like the reload and fire conditions your looking for...

Use these to find what writes to these locations and you'll find the higher level code for writing to them.

Let me know what ya think.

Ramjet

.... are you using emulator.exe or multi? just so we're dealing with the same exe?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 08:24:02 pm by RamjetR »
Gentlemen.... Start your engines!
My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/ramjetr?feature=mhee
Try my RamjetM2Borderless V0.7 utility for your M2Emulator shooting games here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-P3wlCiYEm3RzhCZk1NcFR3blE
Try my Sega Model 2 Output Utility RamjetVR V1.4 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-P3wlCiYEm3VHhBMXNxZGVIQk0/edit

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #202 on: February 05, 2013, 11:18:24 pm »
Further playing around has shown something interesting up also...  Both player inputs are still active on the keyboard. My config is Player 1 buttons 1-4 = z,x,c,v and Player 1 UP,DOWN,LEFT,RIGHT are basic arrow keys.

Throw this line into your vcop.lua script on Post draw and watch the inputs...

function PostDraw()
Video_DrawText(20,10,HEX32(I960_ReadWord(RAMBASE+0x154D)),0xFFFFFF);
end

You'll get the display 00000000 which will toggle when the P1 and P2 fire and reload buttons are triggered. What I found interesting was this in hex;

P1 Fire      = 00000001
P1 Reload = 00000011

P2 Fire      = 00000002
P2 Reload = 00000022

When I press Z (P1 Button 1) and Down Arrow; and if I get the timing right, I can force a reload. It's sketchy but it works. Now the player will auto reload after a period of time, but many times I could reload with this combination long before that happened. Same with P2 keyboard equivalent for Button 1 + Down.

Player 1 Keyboard input
Z                        = 00000001
Z + Down Arrow = 00000011

Something about the attract screen mentioning to aim down and fire made me go looking for it. The good thing is it ties in with the mouse input code and the assembly structure I've been looking at. Responds just like both mice do. Latency in the wireless keyboard may have something to do with it? But it's worth looking at also injecting through the keyboard also.
Try my RamjetM2Borderless V0.7 utility for your M2Emulator shooting games here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-P3wlCiYEm3RzhCZk1NcFR3blE
Try my Sega Model 2 Output Utility RamjetVR V1.4 https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-P3wlCiYEm3VHhBMXNxZGVIQk0/edit

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #203 on: February 06, 2013, 01:25:13 am »
I just had this thought.... I wonder if Elsemi glances past this thread once in a while and chuckles to himself, shaking his head and saying.... "Wrong....!" "Getting colder".... "Getting waaAAAARMer" .... "Nope".... "Oh c'mon, its right there!"....

It made me giggle to think...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #204 on: February 06, 2013, 01:38:45 am »
Well let's put it this way, the guy could send some data via an anonymous account. 

Yeah one of the problems with the rambase addresses is I can't figure out how to add them in the cheat engine, where we have that nice op-code browser. 

The op-code search feature doesn't work well uness you have the pointer, not the physical address. 

For the lightgun games I'm currently using emulator.exe....  I just started with that file you sent me, so it was easier.  Unless the 64bit version of the exe is drastically different, I can use a hex editor to search for the same opcodes, so it isn't going to be a big deal to find both once we get everything sorted out. 

I've actually got a lua address to that reload data I sent you, it's at 501698.  That's what I started with.  I think I actually used the getramptr in lua to print out the address, and added it to cheat money manually and then used THAT to find the offset. 

I'll look into the stuff you sent me..... I was aware of the keyboard stuff but I haven't seen if it's writeable yet..... One of the reasons I wanted to avoid it is if I NOPed the thing I'd probably have to manage all of the inputs....

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #205 on: February 06, 2013, 01:55:34 am »
I changed back to Multi because that what I thought you were working with. So that art file is for multi. Multi is different, I'm not sure how... but it is. Stuff I save from one file doesn't work on the other... :S

I've found if you just add the code to your code list, you can find your way back there pretty quickly. Have you done a referenced string search on the exe yet?

It maps out the code really nicely and seems to clump the code into it's called subroutines nicely. Better still, it's shows any referenced comments to the code usage such as GetRawData etc...

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #206 on: February 06, 2013, 02:30:58 am »
Hi guys, I have been following this thread really closely and looking forward to a solution :)

I do have a question, please dont flame me if it is considered stupid etc...

Currently in M2 we can play 2 player shooting games with 2 individual mice, all functions working ok, ie shoot, reload and cross hair control. XP, Vista and Windows 7 all tested with 2 mice ok.

Now this is where I lose the understanding of the finer detail.

My question is, why cant we just hijack those 2 mice inputs and map them to our guns, joysticks, wiimotes etc without having to do these memory hack etc? ie have a program that sits between windows mice and our guns.

Really looking for a detailed answer to improve my understanding.
Thanks

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #207 on: February 06, 2013, 02:37:12 am »
Well it's not different, it just has some different code in it, for 64bit optimizations.  So all offsets are invalid. 

I'll look at the artmoney later, but I did look into the keyboard input.  It was a dead end as expected.   I can freeze the value via NOPing the first code found, but it makes it "all on" and I can't modify it.   What we need to find is the area where the actual bitwize additions are added.  (1, 17,ect....)   If you comment all of those out, you can modify the actual address at will because you've essentially made it passive.  That's why the original troubleshooter had you set the games in keyboard mode btw.  Since that is a passive buffer (the x/y pos are only added and subtracted to when a key is pressed) you don't have to fight the original code. 

Maybe a search for 17?  That's an odd enough value (not a power of 2).  Although it could be a 1 and then a 16 (1 for trigger and 16 for reload). 

By references string search what do you mean?  I'm still learning how to use the cheat engine /art money. 

Vandale:  I've said multiple times in this thread, you CANNOT fake raw mice in windows.  You can fake the system mouse, but that is not the same thing.  Since m2 is reading raw mouse, we don't get a choice, at least not for 2 player mode.  If you can find somebody to make a false mouse driver similar to vjoy then knock yourself out, but you need a real driver and/or hardware device to fake a mouse at the hardware level. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #208 on: February 06, 2013, 02:50:14 am »
I know how programs are usually compiled, but you never know so I made sure and did a hex search for the values to change in the other exe.  They are in there and I can block them, so we are good.  I'm going to go ahead and make ini's for both exes to make things simplier. 

*update*

I went ahead and made the non-multicpu NOP entries for gunblade.  It was actually quite simple.  I first opened the multicpu.exe and my cheat engine file for the emulator and left it running.  I opened each code entry in ce that I nop to see the raw hex... I then searched for that hex via a hex editor in the vanilla emulator.exe.  ONce I found the right one (there are multiple calls) I added it to the troubleshooter ini and compared that offset to the offest for the multicpu version.  The offset change between the two are relative, which means I only have to find the first new NOP address and then do some math to adjust the other three.  It should be the same for all the others.  I'll go ahead and do this when I get a chance so that we don't have to play the "which exe" game.  I can give you data on both. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 03:14:58 am by Howard_Casto »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #209 on: February 06, 2013, 07:26:59 am »
Finally found the triggers! 

Well almost....

I found a way to freeze the keyboard inputs via the post ramjet did a few hours ago after remembering something odd about sega machines.  They invert the bytes usually. 

So instead of looking for a "1" when the trigger is pulled I need to look for a 254.  Sure enough I found it and via a few NOPs I managed to feeze the keyboard/joystick buffer. 

The down trick also works as you described... the reason it doesn't always work when you are doing it manually is the mouse code overrides it somewhat, so you have to block mouse input and send a 0xff- 0x101 (or 238).   Now the bad news is as I feared, it's blocking the coin and start inputs as well.  I'll have to keep working on it. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #210 on: February 06, 2013, 08:02:31 am »
Well that did it.  And the good news is this code at least, is universal, so no more picking around for codes. 

I found the other byte for the start/coins.... it's in the same place for vcop2 and hotd as well as gunblade, but vcop 1 has to be special and moves it around by a byte.  Like the triggers and normal buttons, it's inverted, so 254 for coin 1, 252 for coin 2, ect...  That'll be a pain as I'll have to re-route the non-game inputs back into the emulator, but since the troubleshooter will support key re-direction for the pc games anyway, it isn't a huge deal. 

I'll go about coding this later this evening as I'll have to add special "inverted" bitmask options.  So aside from some problems on bel, I think all the relevant code has finally been found!

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 14, 2023, 12:54:43 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
AW: Sega Model 2 Emulator Full Screen Shooter fix - RamjetM2Borderless - App
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2013, 08:42:32 am »
Awesome news! Great work, can't wait :)

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2013, 06:07:03 pm »
I'll look at the artmoney later, but I did look into the keyboard input.  It was a dead end as expected.   I can freeze the value via NOPing the first code found, but it makes it "all on" and I can't modify it.   What we need to find is the area where the actual bitwize additions are added.  (1, 17,ect....)   If you comment all of those out, you can modify the actual address at will because you've essentially made it passive.  That's why the original troubleshooter had you set the games in keyboard mode btw.  Since that is a passive buffer (the x/y pos are only added and subtracted to when a key is pressed) you don't have to fight the original code. 

Maybe a search for 17?  That's an odd enough value (not a power of 2).  Although it could be a 1 and then a 16 (1 for trigger and 16 for reload). 

By references string search what do you mean?  I'm still learning how to use the cheat engine /art money. 

Referenced strings.

Open up Memory Viewer... CTRL+B

Then click View>Referenced String ( or CTRL+ALT+R) for Referenced String search. Hit Yes for disect code. Should come up with a referenced call list of procedures. Helpful for figuring out what goes where...

Definately take a look at it....

Great news on the keyboard side. Although it doesn't interfere with the game at all does it? should it need to be NOP'd? Or does it interfere with injecting the Fire and Reload input?

Things are looking good atleast :) Looks like we're gonna have to buy some light guns afterall howard :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:28 pm »
Well what I'm doing is NOPing all writes of the inputs buffers at the game end.  So keyboards and mice don't have any effect on the games at all, only the values that I inject into the buffers do.  I also have to NOP the mice buttons for obvious reasons. 

Since I posted that this morning, I have found a *little* variance, I think gunblade was giving me grief, but it works for the true lightgun games anyway and those are the ones you can't remap the buttons.  Bel is still screwed up... I can't get the new input buffers to work right on it either.  I'm honestly wondering how hacked up it's code is as everything seems to be a special case with it. 

I'd really like to find out where the crosshairs are being drawn.  I found the cursor positions, both in pixels and mickeys, but NOPing their relevant functions doesn't seem to do anything.  For the analog games they are irrelevant and I actually wonder why they were added, but they are sort of necessary for the lightgun games if you are using an ir gun.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:29 am »
Well I added in code to read keyboard states.  Took way longer than it should have considering how many times I've done it over the years. 

I'll add in code to fake key states later.  That is required for the pc games. 

Then I'll have to write code to inject the start and coin keys into the game's input buffers for use with model 2. 

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:47:02 pm
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:40 am »
Then I'll have to write code to inject the start and coin keys into the game's input buffers for use with model 2.

So are you pretty much doing away with mapping any of the controls in the M2 menus and having them all mapped in the troubleshooter program?

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:23:31 pm
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2013, 09:40:09 am »
Howard:

Thanks for the massive amount of time you're spending on this and you spend on the hobby in general.  I'm psyched about this, and can't wait to see how it turns out.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2013, 05:22:48 pm »

So are you pretty much doing away with mapping any of the controls in the M2 menus and having them all mapped in the troubleshooter program?

Well not 100%.  They are in different byte sections.  The function I'm NOPing writes to two bytes, the game bytes and the service bytes.  So all the game buttons, start buttons, coin and service buttons.  Pause would still work as would any of the hardcoded keys.  Basically anything at the game level yes, but anything else no.  But each game in model2 will be treated as a stand-alone pc game with it's own configurations ect... so like on the analog gun games you wouldn't necessarily have to use the key injection. 

Thanks for the support guys. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2013, 03:59:00 am »
Uggh.....You know I don't need this when I'm busy coding. 

I finished up the key detection/faking code and I thought I would test it on the one pc game I have that the original troubleshooter supported, House of the Dead 3.  Well the install is borked again, which is annoying considering I was using it for testing just last week.  Honestly it seems like I re-install the thing all the time. 

Just re-installed, it's not helping, so I dunno what is going on. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2013, 04:21:39 am »
Well for whatever reason HOTD3 has decided to stop accepting my 360 gamepad, even though this is the exact same pad I used last week. 

I might have to download another game just to test things, which is extremely annoying. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2013, 05:07:56 am »
Well my personal computer issues aside, I tested the key detection/faking via hotd3 and a gamecube controller hooked up to an adaptor of all things.  After a bit of tweaking I got it working just fine. 

I also enabled the "fake system mouse for p1" option and sure enough it worked just great when selecting a path from within the game.  There was one minor hiccup though that I found a work-around for.  You see, for whatever idiotic reason hotd3 presses the "start" button when you either fire or press the actual start button.  So in the main title screen, when you try to click the arrows to select a mode, the game goes up/down one mode as expected, but then immediately enters that mode!  The solution was easy enough.... I mapped the worthless coin 1 and coin 2 inputs for that game to the up and down keys in the game.  So to select a mode you can use your coin inputs.  Since the inputs on the user-end are reconfigurable, you could map these to your cabs joystick or to some extra buttons (perhaps a d-pad) on your lightgun.  So yeah, it's an improvment over the way the original troubleshooter did it imho since now yo don't have to walk back to your cab to select a route, you can just point and fire. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2013, 06:07:58 am »
I went ahead and coded in support for inverted bitmasking that I mentioned yesterday. 

I could have added even more options in the already crowded ini, but I decided to just have developers use a negative number when they want to invert bits.  So -16 = "not 16"

I'll add in the code to allow for writing to start/coin/ect addresses tomorrow.  That's all for tonight. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2013, 05:59:21 pm »
I thought instead of killing myself with the model 2 stuff, I'd implement the remaining PC games this weekend to retain original troubleshooter functionality. 

I've got hotd3 and hotd working.  I'll also test hotd2 and that's the last of those games I own.  My guess is hotd3 is the only one anybody cares about seeing as how it's the one that's unemulated, but I'll do it anyway. 

I'm kind of dreading doing HOTD 2, because there are literally 5 versions in the original troubleshooter.ini  It looks like he used a combination of exe signatures and exe names to auto-detect which version to use.  I'm not going to bloat my code and ini files with that.  The user should be able to figure out which version they are using via the packaging it came in.  Either that, or I'll do some sort of branching ini, because I don't want to have an ini 5 pages long for hotd2. 

There's a similar issue with virtua cop, but not nearly as bad.  I think there are two versions. 

Anyway, thus far no problems with all the new code.... the pc games work flawlessly. 

Also the joystick implementation in hotd and hotd2 is terrible!  Mine works much better ;)

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2013, 07:13:18 pm »
Great work Howard.

I don't think there is much more we can do to assist anymore, looks like it's pretty much a process of cleaning and gui'ing. I'm back on call for work this week (still cleaning up the cyclone mess and damage) so any spare time I had is now out the window again. Let me know if there is anything you need us to do. Especially in the field of beta testing  ;)

The M2emulator has been out for years and it's great to see a few dedicated ppl get together and just have a go at fixing what was left to be done. M2 in it's own right has to be one of the best emulators out there, and I'm kinda proud to have been involved in what's being achieved here.

I may be able to get back to finishing my home automation project I started a few weeks ago now. Arduino code done, IR blaster interface done, WiFi/LAN setup done, 433MHz TX/RX interface for RF Power points done, PIR motion detectors and P&T Cameras done. Evenghost web UI and server almost finished. I'm using my iPhone to be detected on the LAN to unlock the house, turn off the alarms, Switch on the exterior and some interior lighting (at night) through wifi. It's kinda cool as I pull up to the house, the phone logs onto the LAN and suddenly everything comes to life on the house before I've even got out the car :)

I'm such a geek...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2013, 09:04:17 pm »
Well if anybody wants to have a go at figuring out how to manipulate the cross hairs in m2 for the sake of the the lightgun games, that would be extremely helpful.  Ditto for figuring out what the heck is going on with BEL's y axis for p2, but I don't think it would be easy until I actually release the troubleshooter. 

We are at least a week away from a release.  thus far I've (wisely) been writing ini files by hand since I add new, necessary, features as I go.  I've yet to do any real work on the gui, that allows users to configure their controllers, set the paths to exes, ect...  Then I've got to take the code from our earlier rawmouse experiments and put it into use. 

Then there are just some nice features I'd like to add, like "hiding" the crosshairs for real lightgun users (I actually just move the cursor offscreen until a button is pressed).  I also want to add an offscreen reload, in that if a x or y value is absolute 0 (0%) or absolute 1 (100%) and the trigger is pressed, I'll press the reload button instead.  I also want to add the ability to write to ini files (already there, for my own purposes, I just have to make a function) and the registry.  HOTD3 owners will appreciate that last one a lot.  I probably need to also add the option to launch an additional program as wiimote users will need to launch glovepie scripts. 

But there are minor things I could sure use some help with.  There are more than a few model 2 games that I haven't fully figured out the outputs to yet... some of them should be simple to determine, like start lamps.  I'll see if I can get a list together tonight. 

Oh and also..... a logo would be nice for when I upload it to my homepage.  I'm thinking cheesy action sequel motif.  Maybe use a wiimote and a ultimarc gun to make the "II"?

Troubleshooter II:   Shoot Harder   ;)

You never did send me your info on Outrun 2k6 either. 

Yeah after I get this done we are going to have to trade notes in regards to hardware projects... you are better at it than me and I have some ideas. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2013, 11:58:32 pm »
Got all of the hotd2's in. 

I'll do virtua cop (not squad) later this weekend. 

Thus far no real issues. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2013, 01:29:12 am »
Went ahead and did the V Cops since there were only two more to go. 

So aside from epsxe (which I think has proper lightgun support at this point) and die hard (which does dx hooking so I'm skipping it) T2 now supports all the stuff the original did. 

If somebody that uses epsxe can confirm I would appreciate it.  I doubt it would be terribly hard to implement, but epsxe is in active development again, so it makes more sense to just ask the devs to do it. 

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2013, 05:07:08 am »
Psx works just fine.

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2013, 08:10:45 am »
Troubleshooter II:   Shoot Harder   ;)

You never did send me your info on Outrun 2k6 either. 

Yeah after I get this done we are going to have to trade notes in regards to hardware projects... you are better at it than me and I have some ideas.

Hahaha I love the name.

Outrun stuff isn't complete... it was something I started july last year on x-sim 2.0 to use the output data for a motion simulator I had many intentions to build before errr last christmas. Then I bought a house and spent a month renovating it, then it was a hernia and surgery and rehab and... holy crap it's february!!! Since installing x-sim 3.0 apparently I can't load the profiles without a stage 2 key which also apparently needs community input in the form of a project post build log to show that I'm using it to claim a free key. I'll gather all I have and try to put together something which might be useful soon. I really want a FF Outrun too, so looking forward to working on that again...

Yeah if you have some cool hardware project idea's I can help you with that. I'm putting together my own arduino LED controller for mame and funky stuff. It's native USB(virtual serial comm port) which makes it nice and easy to talk to. Expandable and fast. Coupled with a small array of SSR's it will drive large DC and AC loads (ie Motion simulators). Perks of being an electronics engineer :)

On a side note, today I managed to make my own HID code for a LeoStick (Freetronics) arduino to make a USB interface for a number of old joysticks I had laying round in the cupboards. Found my old Bug from the Atari ST and even an original Atari single button joystick which are all now USB compatible :) Now wasn't that fun making my own HID descriptor from the USB.org information!

Funny enough, if this troubleshooter stuff didn't work. I had a backup arduino sketch to mimic a second real USB mouse and an AHK script to send the X/Y and trigger info over serial to emulate a real second mouse like a dongle of sorts... it works too :) But the software is a much better idea lol.

Oh.... regarding off screen reloading? was that for PC version of the games or Model 2?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 08:15:46 am by RamjetR »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #229 on: February 09, 2013, 10:35:57 pm »
Either/And in regards to the off screen reload. 

I'm thinking on second though that it might not be necessay though.  I know the act labs gun press the second mouse button when you fire off screen.  I'm sure it's similar for the aim tracks.  That just leaves the joysticks and since they are only in place for wiimote scripts anyway, the script itself could be coded for offscreen reloading. 

For outrun, I'm pretty sure there is some ff code buried deep within.... the stupid thing comes with a "motion" folder, which was on the xbox disc and contained all the ff effects.  Sadly dumping all the xbox files into the folder doesn't do anything.  As you suggested in the other thread, we can use the car physics if needed.  The yaw, pitch and roll of the car could be used for motion sim, a check for sudden shifts in z height could be used for rumble and any drift physics could be used for the wheel.  I wish I could find a copy of the 360 arcade version as well.  The textures in the pc version are the only thing that hasn't aged well, so it'd be nice to swap those out. 

I've got a strange question for you guys, I don't know if anyone would know the answer.  Does anyone know how to run the pc version of house of the dead in windowed mode?  I'm trying to improve functionality on the original troubleshooter and for most games I've managed to do that.  Menus that were once delegated to "you'll have to whip out the keyboard and mouse" are now navigable via the lightgun and/or the coin buttons.  But hotd has this stupid skeleton hand for a cursor in the main menu.  I can control it via the arrow keys, so it's a passive value but as the game only runs in fullscreen I can't figure out how to search for it.  I wasn't going to bother, it's a fairly crappy port, but then I found out that there is this cheat code that lets you tweak all the firing physics for the characters, which makes it worth it to me. 

It should be fairly easy to find the address, if I can just get the thing running in windowed mode. 

Anyway I'm fairly burnt out on this and every time I say "I'm going to take a break" I end up working on it again, so I haven't done anything today.  I'll get a list of missing outputs ready though, everybody can help with that. 

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #230 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:44 pm »
Either/And in regards to the off screen reload. 

I'm thinking on second though that it might not be necessay though.  I know the act labs gun press the second mouse button when you fire off screen.  I'm sure it's similar for the aim tracks.  That just leaves the joysticks and since they are only in place for wiimote scripts anyway, the script itself could be coded for offscreen reloading. 

For outrun, I'm pretty sure there is some ff code buried deep within.... the stupid thing comes with a "motion" folder, which was on the xbox disc and contained all the ff effects.  Sadly dumping all the xbox files into the folder doesn't do anything.  As you suggested in the other thread, we can use the car physics if needed.  The yaw, pitch and roll of the car could be used for motion sim, a check for sudden shifts in z height could be used for rumble and any drift physics could be used for the wheel.  I wish I could find a copy of the 360 arcade version as well.  The textures in the pc version are the only thing that hasn't aged well, so it'd be nice to swap those out. 

I've got a strange question for you guys, I don't know if anyone would know the answer.  Does anyone know how to run the pc version of house of the dead in windowed mode?  I'm trying to improve functionality on the original troubleshooter and for most games I've managed to do that.  Menus that were once delegated to "you'll have to whip out the keyboard and mouse" are now navigable via the lightgun and/or the coin buttons.  But hotd has this stupid skeleton hand for a cursor in the main menu.  I can control it via the arrow keys, so it's a passive value but as the game only runs in fullscreen I can't figure out how to search for it.  I wasn't going to bother, it's a fairly crappy port, but then I found out that there is this cheat code that lets you tweak all the firing physics for the characters, which makes it worth it to me. 

It should be fairly easy to find the address, if I can just get the thing running in windowed mode. 

Anyway I'm fairly burnt out on this and every time I say "I'm going to take a break" I end up working on it again, so I haven't done anything today.  I'll get a list of missing outputs ready though, everybody can help with that. 

DarthMarino's video worked with offscreen reloading out of the box with the Fullscreen Borderless app. I think that was an AimTrak powered gun, so I imagine thats what it's doing when shot out of calibration zone. The Joystick/Wiimote script should be able to do that on it's own.

HOTD3, I don't have... tried the good ol' ALT+Enter trick? or -window in the commandline perhaps?

OutRun2006 will come, its just going to take some time like everything else we're trying to do at the same time. I'm babysitting again today and finishing off some arduino web code to pretty up the interface a bit whilst she's asleep...

I took some time out last night (till early hours) to test and configure my new PC EventGhost home automation/security alarm setup. I'm kinda chuffed to see it all come together with;

* Web accessible control system
* iPhone Mac+IP LAN physical detection security alarm activate/disable
* PIR Motion detection and event handling
* New (thanks to the YAWCAM Dev) command line control of Webcams and IP cam's around the house for alarm reporting
* Email alerts for security breaches
* Automated Voice and "Fake" dog responses to alarm inputs... Actually this one is quite cool. On motion detect (or any event for that matter), I have the PC in the living room play a wav file of my girlfriend asking me if I want a drink (or similar) and then send a command to the computer room PC at the rear of the house which will reply with another wav file of me responding. From outside, you wouldn't know there wasn't a legitimate conversation going on.
* IR Blaster - Can at times of the day or in response to alarm conditions; Turn on the TV and Amplifier... Change channels and general channel surf (as if someone is in the house and watching TV). Also it can turn on the Air Conditioning with more precise control that the single on/off on the remote. If it has a IR remote... I can control it remotely or automatically in a script.
* 433MHz Transceiver - For those RF remote controller Power GPO's that you can get. Can now automatically turn off GPO's at either times of the day, or loss of presence of my iPhone (meaning I've left the house) etc....
* Wake-on-LAN & Shutdown - Can now remotely turn on any of my PC's (including Arcades Cabinets) and turn them off remotely as well.

* Currently coding up the remote start of applications - This one will automatically launch a program on a remote PC on a start trigger from the emulator on my PC... i.e. Launch a Network link M2 Daytona? and it sends the command to the PC next to it to do the same. No more trying to time the press start "now". Control the launching of all the linked machines from any them. Launch one game and the rest will follow :) This may have been done elsewhere, but this one ties in with the entire house automation idea. 

Most of the coding for the interface I have done myself with some help from a couple of industry standard libraries in arduino. Most of the hardwork is done with EventGhost... which honestly I think is up for program of the year for me... seriously cool stuff to be done with this free program.

I have only Voice activation left to do and trying to decide if purchasing RFID reader and tags is a better way than having the LAN detect the presence of my phone near the house for unlocking the door. Oh building my automated Vulcan EBF chain gun sentry turret... Need a decent Pan and Tilt platform for that.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #231 on: February 10, 2013, 12:01:45 am »
Yeah it's the original hotd, not hotd3.  Hotd3 is the only pc game on the list that I actually cared about and fortunately it's working perfectly. 

I've tried everything I can think of to get hotd in windowed mode.  I technically can....  I can used the dxwnd program I used when I wrote my type X wrappers to force it into windowed mode.  The only problem is once I click on the game window, it wrangles focus of the mouse and I can get back to the troubleshooter window. 

So my options are to open the memory editor, click on the game window, hope I get lucky, and if not close the game, scroll to the next memory section and start all over again.  That would take FOREVER. 

Need to do some minor cleanup on hotd2 as well. It's menus aren't controlled by the mouse period, so I'll have to use the coin button tirck that I did on hotd3 to add support. 

The pc games are working though, which is the important thing.  At least the ones I have on hand do (hotd 1-3).  I might have to try to track down vcop 1 (uggh) because the troubleshooter documentation mentions some sort of double reload nonsense. 

Anyway, minor progress.  I quickly added support for auto-detection of the exe name.  This is exclusively for model 2 use.  Since some of the pointers change depending upon the exe version, I have to have a different NOP section for each exe.  The m2 kit will use lua scripts to launch the troubleshooter, to make things easier for front-ends.  This way things will "just work" and the user won't have hardly any setup. 

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #232 on: February 10, 2013, 03:57:28 am »
Ok:

List of model 2 games that need their outputs figured out:

All fighting games -  There's a billboard system that was used on the sega candy cabs.  Basically each player has a 2-digit, 7 segment display to count wins and well as two "winner" lamps, one for each player.  This would be very tricky to find and yet quite cool if implemented.  Because 7-segment displays are involved the values would most likely be multi-plexed,  meaning you'd see the values of all 4 digits (and possibly the winner lamps) switched out one after another in the same space rapidly. 

Desert Tank:  I found a "fake" vr view value, similar to daytona at 0x5211A6 in the emulator space.  There are still the rumble effects for both guns to find.

ManxTT:  Found the lamps at 0x51403c  I *think* the motion data is at 0x514034 but it needs figured out. 

Motor Raid:  Found something related to the lamps at 0x500690  still don't know the motor data is laced in there somehow.  Found the actual lamps at 0x51945E

Indy 500:  lamps are at 0x559CA4 motor data at 0x559CA8, just like sega rally.  The motor data has different bounds though, so for completeness they need to be figured out.

Sega Ski:  lamps are at 0x559CA4  something to do with the clutch is at 0x500648, the motor is at 0x588238, but the byte seems multiplexed, so I'm unsure of the data.  I don't know a lot about this cabinet, so I'm not sure what to look for. 

Sega Touring Car Championship:  Uses the same outputs as rally championship. 

Top Skater:  I've got the data... it's just lamps so nothing too complex, although it appears that the second byte of lamp data is inverted.  Really need a video of this cab in action to understand what's going on. 

Wave Race:  Again, uses Rally Championship's addressess.  The piston data is all borked... we'd probably never get it working.

And I think that's it..... any other games I didn't mention either don't have outputs or I've fully figured them out. 

Mind you this is stuff we can do after the troubleshooter is released, but it'd be nice to have as many ini file ducks in a row as possible. 

vandale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 10, 2023, 04:01:16 am
  • Id 10 and t error
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2013, 05:19:17 am »
Yeah it's the original hotd, not hotd3.  Hotd3 is the only pc game on the list that I actually cared about and fortunately it's working perfectly. 

I've tried everything I can think of to get hotd in windowed mode.  I technically can....  I can used the dxwnd program I used when I wrote my type X wrappers to force it into windowed mode.  The only problem is once I click on the game window, it wrangles focus of the mouse and I can get back to the troubleshooter window. 

So my options are to open the memory editor, click on the game window, hope I get lucky, and if not close the game, scroll to the next memory section and start all over again.  That would take FOREVER. 

Need to do some minor cleanup on hotd2 as well. It's menus aren't controlled by the mouse period, so I'll have to use the coin button tirck that I did on hotd3 to add support. 

The pc games are working though, which is the important thing.  At least the ones I have on hand do (hotd 1-3).  I might have to try to track down vcop 1 (uggh) because the troubleshooter documentation mentions some sort of double reload nonsense. 

Anyway, minor progress.  I quickly added support for auto-detection of the exe name.  This is exclusively for model 2 use.  Since some of the pointers change depending upon the exe version, I have to have a different NOP section for each exe.  The m2 kit will use lua scripts to launch the troubleshooter, to make things easier for front-ends.  This way things will "just work" and the user won't have hardly any setup.

I have pc vc 1 and 2, do you want me to upload and pm you the link?

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #234 on: February 10, 2013, 12:48:15 pm »
I'm trying to follow this thread, but a lil confused.
What changes are being made to the program ?
I have this installed and have not yet tested it yet,
but I thought it was working with the some of the games flawlessly.

Are improvements being made ?

Endprodukt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #235 on: February 10, 2013, 12:49:01 pm »
Two player lightgun support.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2013, 01:52:29 pm »
I'm trying to follow this thread, but a lil confused.
What changes are being made to the program ?
I have this installed and have not yet tested it yet,
but I thought it was working with the some of the games flawlessly.

Are improvements being made ?

First off, what do you mean by changes to the program?  This is a NEW program.  I have no affiliation with the author of the original troubleshooter.

But to answer your question....

Tons:

The troubleshooter only supported act-labs guns for the most part. 

It only supported absolute pointing devices, in other words no trackballs or mice. 

No joystick support.  Wiimotes need joystick support to be used as lightguns.  You might think "but those games have joystick support" and yes they do, terrible joystick support.  ;)

Better menu support.   HOTD3 my best example of this.  During the game there are route selection screens.  The troubleshooter makes you press either start 1 or 2 to select.  This is a pain in the butt, especially if you have ir-based guns, because you'll have to recalibrate after walking back to the cabinet.  Now you can just shoot at your selection like originally intended. 

Model 2 support....  2 player lightguns just don't work in m2 due to a coding error, now two player MICE do.  Also joysticks don't work for the gun games, even the ones, like rail chase 2 that originally used joysticks. 

Output support, particularly for model 2.  Some of the games have force-feedback coded in, but that is not the same as output broadcasting...  M2 games with vr buttons as well as gun games with recoil benefit most from this. 

Now RamJet's original program removes the borders on the lightgun games when they launched.  Again this was to fix a coding error, because the borders remained in tact (although you couldn't see them) when m2 was in full screen and it  sometimes interfered with off-screen reloading.  Somehow the thread mutated into this though.  ;)

mike boss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2021, 01:19:45 pm
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2013, 02:21:12 pm »
Ok, get it now.
Cool idea to modify (improve) the troubleshooter.

I installed RamJet's original program but never tested it out yet.
I loaded it and saw it worked cause as he said you get a lil logo in your system tray.

I'm interested to see how this goes.
I finally got my GunCon1 shells yesterday, plan is to mount my Aim Trak units into them.
I'd like to get all my gun info sorted out as some people suggest installing the troubleshooter patch anyway.
I'd like my guns to work with MAME and any/all emulators that support light gun games, not to mention a few choice PC games.

Keep up the awesome work guys.

RamjetR

• Offline Offline
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #238 on: February 11, 2013, 04:12:44 am »
Do I have to change the scripts included with the borderless app for troubleshooter or to include troubleshooter? Should it be released in a pack with Troubleshooter?

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #239 on: February 11, 2013, 04:51:30 am »
You are changing the window style correct?  I can just add support for it. 

Your's works flawlessly, but I'm afraid things are going to get hairy if we keep layering exes.  As is the poor wiimote users (aka me) are going to have to run this app, a glovepie script, and optionally mamehooker. 

I decided not to add optional support of launching additional apps btw.  Mamehooker can already do that and I've coded the troubleshooter so that you can launch batch files instead of a straight exe.  I've added a lot more stuff than I ever intended to get the m2 stuff working and I'm afraid of bloating the app to where it effects performance on lower end pcs. 

Did some of the straight output games this morning.  Ugh... I might just document them and have somebody else figure them out.  All the lamps are easy, I can add those in like 10 seconds, but the stupid motors take so much work.  You have to figure out the range of each direction and the only way to do that is to play the game and constantly pause to get the numbers, then test, then tweak again, ect....  For many it won't even matter...  m2 has built in ff afterall, but if you are doing a sim rig it would be nice to have those values to hook up to other things like pistons and rumble motors, ect.  Also the ff motors for games like super ski and ect are in there, but I don't think they are hooked up to ff. 

I would really like to get rail chase 2 figured out as well.  That's one of the few games that would be awesome on a motion rig. 

Anyway, I'm going to work on some internal things this morning.  Right now the memory regions get hammered with constant writes in the main loop.  I don't think this is really necessay, so I'll add a "persistent" option in the ini files and code so that by default a value is only written if it changes. 

I'll also have to add code to write to the input regions for model 2.  I'll go ahead and add options write regions for the cross-hairs as well.  I never did figure out where they were, but maybe somebody else can.  It annoys me that I can't find it.  Direct Draw/Direct 3d is the only part of an emulator that I actually understand, but If I can't find the address in memory, I can't mod it.