Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help identify an old pepsi machine  (Read 15048 times)

nipson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2013, 12:33:21 pm
Help identify an old pepsi machine
« on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:14 am »
I got this pepsi machine last year for the good ole price of free. An ex co-worker of my dad's just randomly showed up at his house with it and said he knew he always wanted one. My dad didn't have a place for it so he gave it to me. It keeps everything cold, but the light has since gone out and the Pepsi decal/sign is actually turned around in the machine. I have no idea how to open this thing up to put in a new light bulb or fix the sign (if it's even possible).

I know it's a Vendo slant shelf made for cans, but I can't find anything else other than that. Here's all the pics I have that might help identify it:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
Re: Help identify an old pepsi machine
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:24 am »
It looks like a Vendo 63. I think it can take bottles as well as cans. It has a bottle opener built right in.

nipson

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2013, 12:33:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:22:30 am »
Yes it does. It could probably take bottles, but I can't find any of them around here to test, so I just fill it up with cans.

The 63 is what I've been thinking it was, just wanted to verify it. Thanks for your help.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 11:50:07 am »
As a kid, the firehouse near my school had an old Vendo 63, and the firemen would let me go there and buy a glass bottle of coke for a quarter, so I have some fond memories of that model. I'm no expert in vending machines, but a acquired a modern Vendo plastic bottle/can machine a few years back and learned quite a bit at that time. If they haven't changed their design much, there should be a panel on the inside of the main door that opens for access to lighting and artwork.

If you plan on getting glass bottles eventually, this might be a helpful link.

http://www.glassbottlesoda.org/

It looks like the site lists that there is one Pepsi glass Bottler left, in TN. If you gave them a call, they might be able to tell you the closest place they distribute to.

Also just a interesting bit: Generally the model number on vendos refers to the maximum number of sodas it can hold. So I am assuming the 63 holds 63 bottles or cans. I have a vendo 511, so it holds a ton, but it is waaaay too huge and heavy for home use. I am afraid to bring it into my house because empty it is about 750 pounds. I can't imagine it would be good for my house filled with another 500+ pounds of soda. I think you have a good sized machine for collecting.

yaksplat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2021, 03:50:10 pm
    • Random Projects
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 01:27:35 pm »
I am afraid to bring it into my house because empty it is about 750 pounds. I can't imagine it would be good for my house filled with another 500+ pounds of soda. I think you have a good sized machine for collecting.

Would you be afraid to have 5-200 pound people stand near each other in your house?  No.  The floor joists will hold a lot more than you think.  I ran all the deflection calculations before I installed my 120 gallon salt water aquarium a few years back. That was 1500 pounds fully loaded.
Check out my current 3 machine build:
http://yaksplat.wordpress.com

Custom Control Panels: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=121245

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 04:32:18 pm »
Haha, well, I think five 300 pound people standing within 12 square feet for years on end might concern me. I am sure 1200-1500 pounds on 4 metal feet spanning 3 feet apart can cause floor sagging and do damage to the wood surface long term.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:52:25 pm »

Mysterioii

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 03:00:52 pm »
Haha, well, I think five 300 pound people standing within 12 square feet for years on end might concern me. I am sure 1200-1500 pounds on 4 metal feet spanning 3 feet apart can cause floor sagging and do damage to the wood surface long term.

Nah just put some of those little felt feet under there and you'll be fine...   ;D

Pinball Wizard

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2021, 03:47:13 pm
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 12:57:32 pm »
I am afraid to bring it into my house because empty it is about 750 pounds. I can't imagine it would be good for my house filled with another 500+ pounds of soda. I think you have a good sized machine for collecting.

Would you be afraid to have 5-200 pound people stand near each other in your house?  No.  The floor joists will hold a lot more than you think.  I ran all the deflection calculations before I installed my 120 gallon salt water aquarium a few years back. That was 1500 pounds fully loaded.

This is going to end up leading back to PBJ's thread about fat people and waterbeds isn't it?
Where's my gold star :P