Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Star Wars Episode I tiny mod: covering cables in back of cabinet  (Read 1858 times)

jasonbar

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2023, 02:52:55 am
  • Dr. Inferno
    • The Infernolab
Soooo, there's this flasher behind the big "STAR WARS" sign in the center back of the SWEP1 playfield. It doesn't flash, though--it stays illuminated for several seconds at certain points in the game.

There's a gap between the playfield back wall & the cabinet's panel just above it. When the "STAR WARS" sign illuminates, it also lights up & displays very clearly the unfinished inside face of the cabinet back panel, the grounding strap, the parallel cable, & some other unsightly wires.

This bugged me.

I got a piece of heavy matte black card stock paper, cut it to the width of the cabinet inside & about 8" high (probably only about 4" tall would have been enough), & I removed the plastic glass frame where the playfield glass butts against when installed, & I poked the 5 screws for that glass bracket through the card stock, & I reinstalled the bracket.

This makes a shroud that covers the wires & cabinet inside wall & such. Very clean. Very cheap. Very easy! During gameplay, it's perfect black--no reflection, no notice of ripples or wrinkles, etc.

-Jason

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Star Wars Episode I tiny mod: covering cables in back of cabinet
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:37:05 am »

I have never seen that on mine.  I'll have a look tonight and see if maybe you're missing something.