Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Box-Cade  (Read 4097 times)

CoryBee

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
Box-Cade
« on: July 08, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »
So, after much deliberation on how tall, wide, and design of my arcade I went and made a mock up of it from cardboard. This is my $4 arcade shell. It is a very rough draft, I just don't know any other way of going about making one, maybe I should work on my sketch-up skills or something. The bartops I made were simple and I could go through several designs getting it right at cheap.  MDF isn't cheap so this will have to do.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 09:04:46 pm by CoryBee »

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
Re: Box-Cade
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:24:39 pm »
By the way, I like the feel of this and the small size but I am sure some of you are ready to chew me for something and I need the direction so shoot.  :notworthy:

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 09:43:35 pm »
Looks like an ideal cabinet design for a mirror display.

What is it going to be?  Space Invaders or DOT?
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 09:48:18 pm »
Looks like an ideal cabinet design for a mirror display.

What is it going to be?  Space Invaders or DOT?

I didn't even think about a mirror display, to be honest I never once thought about how to build one either. It was to be a regular stand up horizontal screen cab.

dzorbas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2020, 09:22:00 am
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 01:02:20 pm »
I built my cabinet using lokesen's plans (http://www.koenigs.dk/mame/eng/). It is 24" wide by 24" deep. I can't remember the exact height but it's under 6 feet. I bought 2 pieces of 4'x8' MDF from Home Depot and got them to cut them in half so I had 4 pieces that were identical in size - 2'x8'. Two of those pieces were used for each side of the cab and the other pieces were cut up on my table saw for the various panels. I used machine screws with threaded inserts to hold it all together (IKEA-style) so that I can easily disassemble it if necessary. I think this worked out pretty well for my first attempt at building a cabinet.

DZ.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 02:11:48 pm »
+5 RESPEK if you make it playable with the cardboard frame.

I actually thought about this, but couldn't figure how to mount the LCD screen in it  :D

I bought a single sheet of MDF to start, 4x8 and had it cut in half length wise. I can get smaller pieces to finish the arcade off. I like the look of your arcade "Dzorbas", what size is your screen?

I am awaiting my coin door today and will decide if I enjoy this design. I want to start cutting soon but am trying to not mess anything up.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 03:51:31 pm »
Cardboard and Styrofoam is exactly how I constructed a mockup for a pseudo-bartop I was working on. I couldn't get the curves right in Sketchup. Unfortunately, the 4:3 monitor I selected was stolen borrowed by my wife to replace her dead monitor and the backlight fried within the year.  Only new replacement I could source are those bastard wide screen and so on and so forth. 'nough of that.

It looks alright, just make sure it's sized appropriately. Last two attempts at a cab, I had to change/shelf the cab because the selected monitor/hardware changed midway through. I would play around with the CP layouts and decide if you want it to hang over or stay tucked in. Can't tell what you're doing in those photos.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:36:39 pm »
Got my coin door in today, cost me about 20 bucks shipped. It is a bit beat up but I fixed one on a previous mame conversion so with some paint, new bulbs and probably new reject buttons it will be all shinny.

Here it is installed on the "Box-Cade"  :laugh2:

Also got in the speaker system, didn't feel like going the extra mile to install that though.

It looks alright, just make sure it's sized appropriately. Last two attempts at a cab, I had to change/shelf the cab because the selected monitor/hardware changed midway through. I would play around with the CP layouts and decide if you want it to hang over or stay tucked in. Can't tell what you're doing in those photos.

Thanks, I knew I would not cut would until I made some kind of mock up of the arcade and was 100% with it. I think for the width I want the CP to hang over, kind of like the metropolis cab CP. Second image is kind of what I want in shape wise. Also, I repair electronics for a living and fixed countless TVs. The one I will be using only paid 10 bucks for it and simply just replaced some capacitors and some bad resistors, if it fails again I will just use better parts  ;D

Always love the input, god knows I will need it moving forward. Thanks.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 08:32:16 pm »
Moving thread to project announcement momentarily. I meant for this post to get some input on the shape of my design but turned out to drag on a bit so I find that the project area would be more suited for this.

Carry on....nothing to see here.... :embarassed:

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:20 pm »
Lucky you, the panel that burned out is built like a damn tank. Spent the better part of an good hour getting past the first layer of armor only to find another. I like it a lot, just don't know if I can strip the armor off without a hacksaw.

I would try a different CP, looks like you traced a Burton for it.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 12:18:18 am »
Lucky you, the panel that burned out is built like a damn tank. Spent the better part of an good hour getting past the first layer of armor only to find another. I like it a lot, just don't know if I can strip the armor off without a hacksaw.

I would try a different CP, looks like you traced a Burton for it.

I was thinking I would go with a control panel more like the OND designed cab. I really like that protruding part.