Main > Reviews

RetroBlast Video Review: SlikStik Arcade Cabinet

(1/10) > >>

KevSteele:
I've just finished uploading the RetroBlast video review of the SlikStick Arcade Machine DIY cabinet.

http://retroblast.com/video.html

A detailed written review is underway, and should be done in a day or so.

(Oh, and sorry, no "guess the intro" song this time -- I just couldn't figure out what song was appropriate for a cabinet review, with the possible exception of "Brick House", and that just didn't seem, well, respectful  ;) )

Kevin

Frostillicus:
Nice video and narration.  The plastic sheets on the sides are a nice touch - how was it shipped, again?

Also - so your existing model of slikstik panel already had the mounting holes drilled for easy attachment?  If so - that also is some good foresight by slikstik.

Though, in fairness for a balanced review, I find it hard to believe there wasn't anything critical to say about it apart from the open panel in the back.

KevSteele:
Frostillicus,

The cab was shipped in three large boxes. I was impressed by how much packing material they used. I've got a pic of the packing in my "construction diary":

http://retroblast.com/articles/mameframe2-2.html

And no, my SlikStik didn't already have the mounting holes, but all currently shipping SlikStiks should have the new bottom panel. They made the change after I bought my SlikStik, and shipped out the replacement bottom panel with the cab.

As far as a balanced review, the written review will be much more detailed, and I will go into some of the areas that I think the cab can be improved. It's just kind of hard to squeeze in every detail I want to include in a short video review!

Kevin

Radical:
Anyone know where I could get some of those locking cams for my own cabinet?

It would be nice to be able to take it apart for moving or whatever...

Edit: spelling

Frostillicus:
Cool - usually I'm very critical of Slikstik and other 'premade stuff' companies, but it looks like they did a pretty decent job overall on the cab.  Did I just say that? ;)

All obvious, old arguments aside (price/lucid design/etc), the screw-together format should appeal to those with no skillz whatsoever.

I do have concerns on stabiltiy when moving - since there aren't any rollers (are there? I didn't see any...) and if you try to move it on carpet, could the torque rip out one of the cams do you think? Just getting the ineria to move it might break something loose.  That's been a traditional problem with screw-together furniture.

As for the written review - I look forward to it.  I am a big fan of Consumer Reports-esque reviews, and the tradition there is to write no opinions, cold hard facts, and sound as least like an endorsement as possible.  Unfortunately they usually do it in a 'comparing product brand X against brand Y' so...you may have to get a Hanaho, too! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version