Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Arcade Strikes Back - A linux Groovymame cab  (Read 4857 times)

dmarcum99

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
The Arcade Strikes Back - A linux Groovymame cab
« on: July 05, 2012, 12:22:09 am »
Thought I'd post a few pics of a cab I'm building for a friend.  In return, I'm getting his Spy Hunter cab.

Anyway, just the money-shots....I used a Dynamo cab that was housing a Deer Hunter pcb that I quickly sold off.  The cabinet artwork was printed by Soul Draw(China).  It turned out very nice.  I thought about using the ROTJ sideart in the file depository, but instead I purchased a mini ROTJ poster off ebay and had FED-EX/Kinko's scan the poster.  I recreated the yellow band, but goofed up when I decided to change cabs...I didn't reposition the yellow band.  Not bad for winging it.   :dunno

The Marquee came from EMDKAY.  It turned out fantastic.  You can see the details easily in the daylight and when the lamp comes on it really shines.  The pic washes out the logo, but it turned out really nice AND, the MAME logo gets cropped when the light is on, I should have caught this...   :badmood:

The pics just show the the outer beauty...but it's got a WG D9200 going in for the monitor.  An AMD Phenom II 550 (8gb ddr2) will power the groovymave linux setup.  It has a 7-button layout with a trackball.  I'd like to have put a spinner, but the CP real estate is limited.  It's already complete and configured, just now waiting for me to get motivated and do the install.  More pics will follow on the completion.  It has a Star Wars-themed background and on start-up, Vader comes on with ..."What is thy bidding Master..." and when you select a game it shouts out the infamous "As you wish..."  Background music as well and exit sound/phrases...my friend is stoked.

Oh yeah, the marquee plexi is just temporary.  I have the lexan in the garage, but still have to cut it to size.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:34:08 am by dmarcum99 »

jammin0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
Re: The Arcade Strikes Back - A linux Groovymame cab
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 09:14:56 pm »
Looks really good.  I'm interested to see what it looks like with Linux all set up. :applaud:

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 11:56:27 pm »
Nice, Linux is a mystery to me and I don't see many builds using it- will definitely follow your progress! Spy Hunter is a nice trade for a cabinet build- that is one that really benefits from the actual arcade controls!

I'd love to know more about your experience with souldraw. Are you pleased with the results of their printing, and how much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing? I've got several cabs I will probably need full side art for so I am definitely considering them myself.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »

I laughed when I saw the little girl fishing in your driveway.   :laugh2:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 10:45:30 pm »
I'd love to know more about your experience with souldraw. Are you pleased with the results of their printing,

Jammin0 used Souldraw for his Ninja Monkeys build art.  Here is a mini-review from that thread.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=118228.msg1280263#msg1280263

And a cautionary tale from GregD.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=118228.msg1281070#msg1281070

and how much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing?

Jammin0 on the cost for his Ninja Monkeys build art. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=118228.msg1278620#msg1278620

Scott

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
There is an online support guy who you can get at souldraw.  You can chat with him and he'll give you a quote on the spot if you upload your files to him.  Or you can simply tell him the dimensions for a quote.

If you can't find the online chat feature then check back, I think on my mobile safari browser it just didn't show up anywhere on the website if the guy was offline.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2012, 05:00:24 pm »
Thanks Jammin, and also thanks PL1 for the links! :cheers:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 12:31:07 am »
I've been away from the forums for a few days....didn't realize I had comments on my build.  I appreciate the comments.
In regards to SoulDraw, This is my 2nd order from them.  I ordered from them when their company had a different name.  I've had good results both times.  When I apply the vinyl, I make sure to run the vinyl over the edges and I use a rubber mallet to hammer the t-molding, thus burying the vinyl in the t-molding slot.  At least this way, I won't have the edges peeling up.  It's just the safe way for me to do it....

Cost.....the sides, the CP, and the CP front was $76 shipped.  I had it in my hands in less than 10 days after I gave my approval of the proofs.
The marquee....I had it printed from EMDKAY and it turned out fantastic.  It was $25-$30 shipped and it took 30 days to get it.

I made some progress but I'm moving slowly.  I wired up the CP, and installed the hardware, ipac, joysticks, buttons, and trackball.  I wish I had space for a spinner, but the size of the CP and my layout didn't allow for it.  I'm in the middle of mounting the PC, dvd/hd mount, and PSU so in a couple of days I'll have it turned on and have more pics....maybe a video of the front end and all it's glolry.  :)

Still have a few things to do.... situate the monitor just right, configure the electric side of the build, and finish the marquee plexi.

**  edit...Oh yeah, in case anyone is wondering about my button vinyl stickers....I ordered these from uberstickers.com  Got them in a week and priced right as well.  **
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 12:40:10 am by dmarcum99 »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 08:49:54 am »
Hey, thanks for the cost/application info, that is just what I was looking for!  :cheers:

ceburto2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2018, 09:04:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:03:51 pm »
Love the Cabinet and have a new guy question. After Kinko's scanned you poster, did you edit it to the exact dimensions of the cab for image placement? I would love to do this as well as I do not have the skills to vector out a drawing of my own.

Thanks,
ceburto2

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 01:22:30 pm »
I photoshopped the image to 2-3" higher than the height dimensions to the cab.  This was because I was wrapping the vinyl over the edges and tucking it in the t-molding groove.  It was too wide after the scaling, so I cropped the image to use the area that I wanted to display.
If you don't have photoshop, you can use GIMP/INKSCAPE...they're free.

The scan at kinko's costs a whopping $0.49...but be prepared.  Some will not scan a SW image if a copyright is on the image.  The 1st one refused to do it, at the next location the guy didn't even blink an eye about it.  YMMV

Make sure they clean the glass before they scan.

I was hoping to have a video of the cab before I delivered it.  The night before the delivery, I shot a video on my phone but now I can't find it.  Hopefully I can locate it and get it posted.   :dunno

Seith

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2018, 10:50:41 am
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 01:16:26 pm »
Very clean wiring job.  And the artwork is great too!