Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Change default auto resolutions to custom resolutions  (Read 5205 times)

steveggz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2012, 09:41:28 pm
Change default auto resolutions to custom resolutions
« on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:52 am »
How can I get groovymame to use a specific resolution for all games that use a certain native resolution instead of the resolution mame chooses automatically? I know this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

For instance, the resolution that was being picked automatically by mame for Mortal Kombat was off, so I used arcade osd to see what other resolutions my monitor was capable of and chose the closest. I made a seperate ini file for Mortal Kombat but I would like to be able to use the resolution I chose for all games with the same native resolution as Mortal Kombat without having to make a seperate ini file for each game.

Im using groovy and Calamity's drivers.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Change default auto resolutions to custom resolutions
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:50:19 am »
If I get you right, what you're trying to achieve is this:

- For all games that GroovyMAME picks, say 400x256@60 -> pick this different xres x yres @ refresh

As far as I can see, this is not possible.

I know this can sound a bit awkard but trust me when I say this is the way to go: you should not fight GroovyMAME on the resolutions it picks. Here is where the issue is:

For instance, the resolution that was being picked automatically by mame for Mortal Kombat was off, so I used arcade osd to see what other resolutions my monitor was capable of and chose the closest.

If GroovyMAME is picking that resolution it's because you're telling it that it works: as long as it is available in your system GroovyMAME will want to use it.

However, the answer is not just removing it from the system! If it's been created it's because you told VMMaker that your monitor supports it! This is done by the monitor_specs setup.

If VMMaker is creating video modes that turn out to be unsupported by your monitor, you have to re-adjust it's settings until every video mode created is actually supported, that's the way to go.

Then you port the same monitor_specs to mame.ini and you're done.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

steveggz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 08:09:58 am »
Hi Calamity.

If I get you right, what you're trying to achieve is this:

- For all games that GroovyMAME picks, say 400x256@60 -> pick this different xres x yres @ refresh
Yes, that is what I want to do. I did find a program called "MAME resolution tool v3.2" that might do what I want but I would of course rather do it correctly through the VMMaker settings.

What exactly should I be changing?
I have it set to CUSTOM and I altered the vfreqMax to 60.00 (because after exiting a game in mame or mala windows kept picking 640x480@61 which caused the desktop picture to be all the way to the left and cut off)

I'm using a makvision tri sync monitor.

And one more thing (slightly off topic), I use Arcade OSD to edit any settings. I can scroll down to see all my available resolutions but if I press "2" I can't edit any of the settings. And if I try to test any resolutions by pressing "1" my screen goes black and then back to windows with an error "Arcade OSD must close"?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:54:21 am by steveggz »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 11:37:29 am »
Yes, that is what I want to do. I did find a program called "MAME resolution tool v3.2" that might do what I want but I would of course rather do it correctly through the VMMaker settings.

Yes, I meant you can't do it by means of specific GroovyMAME options. MAME resolution tool is capable of doing that by means of ini files.

But I'd just consider using inis as a last resource, in a way it is a return to the "dark age".

What exactly should I be changing?
I have it set to CUSTOM and I altered the vfreqMax to 60.00 (because after exiting a game in mame or mala windows kept picking 640x480@61 which caused the desktop picture to be all the way to the left and cut off)

I'm using a makvision tri sync monitor.

First you should setup it as tri-sync. That way you could create specific 31 kHz modes for the desktop, etc. Unfortunately we don't have presets for the Makvision tri-sync yet. As a starting point, you could try the values for the NANAO MS-2930/MS-2931 here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116023.0

However, the most important range is the 15 kHz one, that's the one I would try to figure out first.

And one more thing (slightly off topic), I use Arcade OSD to edit any settings. I can scroll down to see all my available resolutions but if I press "2" I can't edit any of the settings. And if I try to test any resolutions by pressing "1" my screen goes black and then back to windows with an error "Arcade OSD must close"?

That's no off-topic at all. I'm concerned about Arcade_OSD crashing, make sure you're using the last version as some bugs have been fixed: http://aburamushi.net/calamity/VMMaker_1.3c_Arcade_OSD_1.3b.rar

Anyway, if your using GroovyMAME, it will ignore the adjustments made by Arcade_OSD as GroovyMAME recalculates modelines overriding the existing ones. Arcade_OSD is useful for finding your appropiate geometry timings, which you then can copy back into VMMaker / GroovyMAME's setup.
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

steveggz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:54 pm »
I've tried everything to get groovy to select the closest resolutions for all the different game resolutions but no matter what I change in vmmaker only 90% are correct.

The strange part is that all my resolutions worked perfectly before I messed around and tried to get vmmaker to give me non-interlaced 640x480. I changed from "CUSTOM" to "MULTI". But I did mess around with some other files too, so now I'm trying to backtrack and undo everything I did. I reinstalled Calamity's drivers and tried a bunch of different settings in vmmaker (even created a new mame.xml) and still no luck.

One good thing though, the latest version of Arcade_OSD works great. I can finally try to get my 640x480 desktop resolution non interlaced. Ultimarc's tri-sync utility doesn't seem to work so I'm going to try editing the 640x480 res in Arcade_OSD.

I will try some more to find the problem with the resolutions.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:24:01 pm by steveggz »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »
Hi steveggz,

I order to calculate 640x480 as progressive, edit ReslList and make sure the corresponding line is: 640 x 480 @60.0000

By default, 640x480 is defined as @30.000 in ReslList, which produces an interlaced mode. This is done to make sure that there is always a 15 KHz version of 640x480 for regular arcade use.

Using the "MULTI" function in VMMaker will make it ignore the monitor_specs lines, you need to use "CUSTOM" so they are used.
Steps to create a log:

steveggz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:43:56 pm »
Yes! Vmmaker and groovy work perfectly again.

It was because of a program I tried out called RefreshForce. I thought that I had restored the original settings after I found out the program couldn't do what I wanted.

Now I'm going to try to get 640x480 progressive.

Thank you Calamity.

steveggz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 08:34:17 pm »
Great! I'm finally displaying 640x480 progressive.

Is there any way to have the picture a little more stretched out vertically by adjusting some numbers in Arcade_OSD or is it only possible by adjusting the monitor pots?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 03:52:01 am »
Glad to hear you got it working.

As for the vertical size, there's nothing we can do about it from the software side, that's a limitation of CRTs and makes it necessary to adjust manually. There are a few monitors that actually do some sort of autoadjustment for the vertical size, but it's usually out of our control (similar to what Sony TVs do).
Steps to create a log: