Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on  (Read 31106 times)

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on
« on: June 12, 2012, 02:27:56 pm »
I posted in the Raspberry Picade project announcement but I thought it would be good to make a main thread as well for all things Raspberry Pi gaming.  I got my Pi about a week ago and I'm impressed.  It's fast (depending on the distro you use) and it works exactly as expected.  Here's the pics I posted before so you see it running:

Notes
  • Performance in Debian using the GUI (LXDE) can be sluggish sometimes
  • Make sure you've got the power hook up right.  You need a micro USB at 5V and 700ma.  Anything above 700ma is fine.  I'm using an ac adapter that provides 5V at 1.8 A.  If you want to run any USB external components you'll need the additional amperage to operate them.
  • When you plug in the power, if your PWR light goes to solid red, you've got enough power and you're good to go.  The OK like should flash green like an HDD light loading.  The OK light does NOT stay on
  • If you have power issues or you don't know if your power adapter is providing the right voltage there are two points on the Pi board where you can plug a Multimeter in.  Super useful!  Do a quick search on Raspberry Pi's main site and you'll find the doc on how to do it.
  • Make sure you have a few different mem cards to try.  I had four available and the third one finally worked.  The first two the Pi would start but the OS wouldn't load (tried multiple Distro's and reloading the image on it).  Once I got a good card I've had about 90% success on boot.
  • Booting isn't 100%.  This may be because of my mem card but of 20 boots I've had 2 failed boots where I had to disconnect power and then reconnect.
  • When you restore the disk image it's only 2 GB.  My card is 8 GB is size.  I had to take the mem card out, boot my laptop with it in and boot to GPart and then expand the partition to make use of the other 6 GB.

So far I've very pleased with Arch Linux on the Pi.  It's super responsive with SSH already enabled so plug it in, run an ifconfig to see the DHCP addy and then SSH to it from my desktop and I'm rolling.

I'm not going to post running AdvanceMAME on the Debian distro as a quick google search will find that for you.  The challenge is for me to gain a better understanding of the Pi and how MAME works in Linux.  You want MAME to use OpenGL to make use of the on board Video card.  That way the CPU can focus on other things but OpenGL requires a GUI/X/LXDE based environment, which I don't really want to mess with.  

So for me, I'm messing with ArchLinux on the Pi and trying to compile XMame/SDLMame/AdvanceMame to work on the console.  It looks like a few others might have done it but we'll see.

For $35 bucks shipped I'm very pleased with the purchase.  It's freaking small as heck.

ark_ader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 05:10:07 pm »
Its been 3 weeks and my pi still hasn't arrived, but a friend says he purchased three of them and was delivered within a week.  :angry:
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

Zobeid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2021, 10:36:32 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:39:52 pm »
I'm guessing it might be more efficient if you could get it to start up OpenGL ES without the whole graphical desktop environment.

See if this looks useful...    http://benosteen.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/using-opengl-es-2-0-on-the-raspberry-pi-without-x-windows/

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:17:32 am »
That's a good find.  I'll have to try that when I get home.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08:47 pm »
Man, this thing is so small that I could actually see building a little handheld machine Ben-Heck style with a nice sized Psone screen.

Unfortunately, according to this video

it can't run Donpachi properly. I would need it to at least run the first generation CAVE titles to really appeal to me.

On the other hand, I don't know about how practical it would be to run the thing off batteries..

Hopefully the specs will be improved in the future and I'll be able to build a nice little portable for playing shmups at work on my lunchbreak.
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 06:55:34 pm »
I just use my phone for playing Mame.

The Pi is for programming.  I'm looking at a solar power system to charge the batteries and run the system.

I just wish it would hurry up and arrive.  I have a HDMI port all ready for it.  :applaud:

Minions

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2021, 01:43:57 pm
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:26 pm »
$35 shipped? How'd you manage that? My order cost $43~ after shipping and taxes. Still waiting. Est. Ship date of 6/28.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »
I just use my phone for playing Mame.

The Pi is for programming.  I'm looking at a solar power system to charge the batteries and run the system.

I just wish it would hurry up and arrive.  I have a HDMI port all ready for it.  :applaud:

How in the hell could a phone possibly make a suitable setup for MAME or any other kind of gaming besides Angry Birds?

I know I could get a Cannoo or something, but I want something with a big screen in and tate for vertical shmups. There is nothing on the market that can do that.

This thing is small enough to make that idea possible, but the specs aren't powerful enough for the type of games I'm interested in. I'll just have to wait longer.

Oraap

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2012, 02:36:52 am
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 04:39:45 pm »
How in the hell could a phone possibly make a suitable setup for MAME or any other kind of gaming besides Angry Birds?

There is a way: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=120808.0

Haze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2023, 08:30:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • MAME Development Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 04:45:01 pm »
It would probably be more worthwhile somebody porting Final Burn Alpha instead, that can run the majority of the Cave 1st/2nd game games on an original XBOX, so should be fine on the Pi IMHO.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 05:39:56 am »
Its been 3 weeks and my pi still hasn't arrived, but a friend says he purchased three of them and was delivered within a week.  :angry:

I arrived today! Joy of Joys!  :applaud:

Now to figure out how I can get all the emulators running on this little guy, and code some python scripts.

This PC is really small.  I thought the Pi devs opted for a MicroSD port, but I have a full size one. Excellent.

BurgerKingDiamond

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 07:58:54 am »

you cannot play games on a phone. They are meant for calling people.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 09:21:21 am »
Threadjack - those who have the Pi in hand, comments please on the suitability for:

1. Running an MP3 jukebox? Don't really care which as long as it has some sort of decent GUI and can pull off a network share. Touch screen monitor hookup? I'm going to guess it's a no on that one?

2. Booting straight up into a slideshow, again preferably running off a share but not required, with the monitor in portrait mode.

Thanks!
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 09:50:32 am »
You people with a Pi in hand ought to throw those bad boys on eBay and double (or more) your money.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »
Threadjack - those who have the Pi in hand, comments please on the suitability for:

1. Running an MP3 jukebox? Don't really care which as long as it has some sort of decent GUI and can pull off a network share. Touch screen monitor hookup? I'm going to guess it's a no on that one?

2. Booting straight up into a slideshow, again preferably running off a share but not required, with the monitor in portrait mode.

Thanks!

Oh yeah. 

1. XBMC + touch screen I do not know, unless it is like those eeepc touch screens that was just an USB and is treated as a mouse....why not?

2. SMB + <Linux scripts> and from Wikipedia:
Supported digital video resolutions are: 640 × 350 EGA; 640 × 480 VGA; 800 × 600 SVGA; 1024 × 768 XGA; 1280×720 720p HDTV; 1280 × 768 WXGA Variant; 1280 × 800 WXGA Variant; 1280 × 1024 SXGA; 1366 × 768 WXGA Variant; 1400 × 1050 SXGA+; 1600 × 1200 UXGA; 1680 × 1050 WXGA+; 1920 × 1080 1080p HDTV; 1920 × 1200 WUXGA.[59] Also to be supported are the generation of 576i and 480i composite video signals for PAL-BGHID, PAL-M, PAL-N, NTSC and NTSC-J[69]

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 06:23:48 pm »

+1 very curious about this.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 09:30:05 pm »

I will have to remember that when I am playing Mr Do! with my Zeemote on my Galaxy S, whilst waiting in line at the supermarket.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:25 pm »
has Berries seen this yet? Time for Freebox to be ported to run on this little gem.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 09:37:20 pm »
I cancelled my preorder. I'm going to wait for Pi 2.0.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

paigeoliver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2022, 06:10:15 pm
  • Awesome face!
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 01:48:43 am »
I really don't understand the community excitement about this, yes it is cheap, but it is quite underpowered and an old cast off PC would be a better choice in any application that didn't require such a tiny circuit board. Even in a lot of those applications an all in one micro-atx motherboard would likely fit and be far more useful.

For the same basic money you can get something like this, which is far more useful and not that much bigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIA-Mini-ITX-EPIA-EX15000LG-1-5GHz-C7-CPU-Motherboard-w-180-Watt-Flex-ATX-54-/380448307420?pt=Motherboards&hash=item58947c78dc
Acceptance of Zen philosophy is marred slightly by the nagging thought that if all things are interconnected, then all things must be in some way involved with Pauly Shore.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:10 am »
^ That's like 4X as big.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 09:26:09 am »
I think the form factor is the biggest draw.  I'd like to see just how small a mame cab LeChuck could cook up with one of these...   ;)

$35 shipped? How'd you manage that? My order cost $43~ after shipping and taxes. Still waiting. Est. Ship date of 6/28.

I'm curious about this too.  Khalid did you find it with free shipping somewhere, or did you mean "$35 plus shipping" rather than "$35 shipped?"

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 09:52:32 am »
I really don't understand the community excitement about this, yes it is cheap, but it is quite underpowered and an old cast off PC would be a better choice in any application that didn't require such a tiny circuit board. Even in a lot of those applications an all in one micro-atx motherboard would likely fit and be far more useful.

For the same basic money you can get something like this, which is far more useful and not that much bigger.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VIA-Mini-ITX-EPIA-EX15000LG-1-5GHz-C7-CPU-Motherboard-w-180-Watt-Flex-ATX-54-/380448307420?pt=Motherboards&hash=item58947c78dc

Form factor and power supply. Even with that small of a mobo you still have to stick a power supply somewhere.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 01:12:21 pm »

My shipping was free.  I didn't enter any coupons they just offered it for free.

My second Pi is supposed to arrive in a few days too so that will be good to test multiple builds on.

My primary build right now is going to be a Car entertainment system for my son.  I plan to have it capable to either play MAME games or watch movies on.  That way once in the car he can be in his own world.  He can play a game or he can watch a movie.

For me it's not as much excitement in a computing way versus a MAME/Arcade way.  We had a bunch of these talks in the Everything else forum a month or two ago and for me, the Pi is a great step forward in small computing.  It's a semi to open platform that will support so many different projects.  I look at it like an Arduino.  It's got the capacity to do so many things very simply because it's small and it's power reqs are minimal.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:00 pm »
Did you get it from Newark or some other source?

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 05:55:16 pm »
I cancelled my preorder. I'm going to wait for Pi 2.0.

I think I have the update as there is no digital coax (except through HDMI) instead there is a 3.5 headphone jack.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 10:29:28 am »

Newark/Element14.  I've bought stuff from them before so maybe because I was a previous customer I got free shipping.  I have no clue.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 12:00:21 pm »
Mine was preordered from Newark, and they only ever quoted me $35. The card I used to preorder it expired so it got held up, but I decided to cancel since I'm too busy to fiddle with it and didn't want to leave it lying around when someone else could use it.

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2012, 05:55:39 am »

Thanks!

1. Perfect. XBMC is a really slick jukebox / media player that runs on the pi. I recommend the RaspBMC build. Currently in RC3, and gets better every day. Boots in 20 seconds and supports remote controls, youtube videos etc etc. very nice. NB: as far as touch screens go, There's a few people on car computer forums who have done it already. There's a touchscreen skin for XBMC that seems pretty good.

2. Easy.
Install eog
create a text file called slideshow.sh with the following contents:

#!/bin/bash
xrandr -o 1
eog -f --slide-show $HOME/Pictures

Change the permissions to make the file executable then select slideshow.sh as a startup application. Modify your fstab file to automatically mount your share in your picture directory and you are done.
xrandr will rotate the screen to fit portrait mode.

If you need help setting it up PM me.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 02:39:19 pm »
http://hackaday.com/2012/06/22/gooseberry-is-the-latest-arm-linux-board/

Nice, except it's 2.5 times larger than the Pi.  Quite a behemoth where size is an issue.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:24 pm »

Thanks!

1. Perfect. XBMC is a really slick jukebox / media player that runs on the pi. I recommend the RaspBMC build. Currently in RC3, and gets better every day. Boots in 20 seconds and supports remote controls, youtube videos etc etc. very nice. NB: as far as touch screens go, There's a few people on car computer forums who have done it already. There's a touchscreen skin for XBMC that seems pretty good.

2. Easy.
Install eog

#!/bin/bash
xrandr -o 1

Change the permissions to make the file executable then select slideshow.sh as a startup application. Modify your fstab file to automatically mount your share in your picture directory and you are done.

Awesome sauce - thanks Silas! Gonna try to order one.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 09:30:46 am »

I will have to remember that when I am playing Mr Do! with my Zeemote on my Galaxy S, whilst waiting in line at the supermarket.
So you are "that guy". I can think of about 10,000 things better to do while waiting in the grocery line than knocking off a game of Mr. Do! Beware this:

http://drdunckley.com/2011/02/15/computer-video-games-and-psychosis-cause-for-concern/
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 07:46:27 pm »

So you are "that guy". I can think of about 10,000 things better to do while waiting in the grocery line than knocking off a game of Mr. Do! Beware this:

http://drdunckley.com/2011/02/15/computer-video-games-and-psychosis-cause-for-concern/

Yep I'm that guy.  Darn it, caught again.  The way kids work at the checkout I can play a whole game of Game Dev Story.  Sad but true. ;D

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 11:31:21 pm »

Thanks!

2. Easy.
Install eog

#!/bin/bash
xrandr -o 1

Awesome sauce - thanks Silas! Gonna try to order one.

i might have to get in on this one as well. I know nothing of linux(yea its sad hehe) but im willing to go through the troubles to get a new touchscreen build going like this.

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 08:43:03 am »
i might have to get in on this one as well. I know nothing of linux(yea its sad hehe) but im willing to go through the troubles to get a new touchscreen build going like this.

There's a good deal of Anti-Pi gripe and for good reason since we hadn't really had our hands on the device yet but I can tell you first hand it's worth $35 bucks regardless of what you use it for.  Linux comes quite easily and there are so many forums out there you're likely to find someone else with a problem you might have and how to fix it.

So do it.

Mysterioii

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2012, 10:48:47 am »

Newark/Element14.  I've bought stuff from them before so maybe because I was a previous customer I got free shipping.  I have no clue.

Funny, I just preordered one from them (yeah I know, I might get it sometime in 2014) and they added tax and freight.  Came out to $44 total.  And I've ordered from them before too.   :embarassed:   Maybe they had a free-freight preorder window that I missed.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:30:15 pm
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 05:42:30 pm »
So has anyone gotten MAME up and running (and performing at proper speeds) on this thing yet?

crippledlemming

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2012, 03:21:50 pm
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:29 pm »

I've gotten about 30 different titles running properly on the pi.  I can take videos of 1944 etc running smoothly on it.  Out of the box the pi is a decent platform, but after some hardware and software tweaks it is an excellent platform.  I just got my ipac and controls in today, when I get home from work I am going to compile the software to get them up and running with the variant of Debian that I'm running and I can post results if anyone is interested.

I'm running advancemame, I compiled from source. I know there are some binaries floating around out there but I couldn't get them to work properly. I also have my pi overvolted slightly and overclocked to 1150mhz. Galaga would run fine on 900mhz OC with no overvolt, but some of the newer roms 1944 ex would lag without it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 03:53:25 pm by crippledlemming »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2012, 04:53:37 pm »
Man, I have a closet full of composite-in TVs that I would love to make into classic bartops with the Pi and its composite out. So glad you guys are blazing a trail with MAME and Pi!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:30:15 pm
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:52 pm »
Awesome.  Hopefully these things will improve over time to the point where it can handle most of the games running in MAME.  As it stands now, it seems like these boards would work great in a "classics" cabinet.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2012, 03:59:21 pm »
Bump bump. Anybody know of a good tutorial to get MAME going on a Pi? I just want to make some "dedicated" (will boot to one game- no front end) cabs/bartops for some old games.
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

TPA5

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2017, 10:25:16 pm
  • Wanting A Cab
Raspberry Pi and MAME - Hands on
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2012, 04:48:36 pm »
I've been thinking about using mine as a dedicated SNES rom machine. This thread has inspired me to get my arse in gear and work on it again! I have a SNES with a shot board, the Pi would fit perfect in it.

lordnacho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2023, 07:38:14 pm
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2012, 04:57:19 pm »
I've been thinking about using mine as a dedicated SNES rom machine. This thread has inspired me to get my arse in gear and work on it again! I have a SNES with a shot board, the Pi would fit perfect in it.
My original Pi project was a digital picture frame, but I can't get the damn wifi working on it.  Sometimes I really hate Linux. 
But maybe I'll shove it into my old NES instead.  I bought a broken one on ebay, but was able to fix it.  I only have a couple games though, so thinking it's better to be Pi'ed.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
I am very interested in a write up on using pi-es to run Mame as well! Would make for a good dedicated cab or for a X-in-1 machine. :P

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2012, 10:46:35 am »
There are boat loads of good threads on how to use MAME on the Pi.  Most revolve around Debian and AdvMame.

Just a word of caution about the Pi and composite hookups, the resolution may be completely messed.  I've now used three composite TV hookups and each is a nightmare to work with.  From the resolution not fitting to the clarity being horrible, they are just UN-useable.  I'm going to be moving to HDMI.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2012, 12:00:58 pm »
There are boat loads of good threads on how to use MAME on the Pi.  Most revolve around Debian and AdvMame.

Just a word of caution about the Pi and composite hookups, the resolution may be completely messed.  I've now used three composite TV hookups and each is a nightmare to work with.  From the resolution not fitting to the clarity being horrible, they are just UN-useable.  I'm going to be moving to HDMI.

Boo, the mass of composite TVs lying around is what made me most interested in Pi.

Any recommended forums for these "tons of threads" or should I just google it up?

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:43 pm »

Boo, the mass of composite TVs lying around is what made me most interested in Pi.

Any recommended forums for these "tons of threads" or should I just google it up?

haha sorry.  Try googling RaspberryPi and AdvMame.  If you have any issues let me know and I'll see if I can dig up what I found.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2012, 03:59:57 pm »

haha sorry.  Try googling RaspberryPi and AdvMame.  If you have any issues let me know and I'll see if I can dig up what I found.

That is perfect. I'm so new to the idea just knowing the right keywords is where I need to start. Thanks!

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2012, 11:55:51 am »
What's the take on this Picade project on Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already.)

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:50 am »
What's the take on this Picade project on Kickstarter?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimoroni/picade-the-arcade-cabinet-kit-for-your-raspberry-p

(My apologies if this has been posted elsewhere already.)

I just saw this and I'm happy it's being done but I think there is a huge unknown here in that the Pi's performance for gaming just isn't up to snuff.  So this project is misleading because people are going to go in believing they'll get the same performance of an x86 only to be let down after actually implementing it.

There is also NOTHING in this kickstarter that I can see dealing with the distribution running or how they are running/setup MAME.  So I'm worried.  There's information here that I would want to see before I invest.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2012, 12:52:43 pm »
I'll donate 5 quid if they change the name to something other than Picade. I'm not chuffed by the name.

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »
I'd pay for a step-by-step walkthrough on how to get Mame/Pi running (for "dummies," so to speak).

Also, i keep reading "Picade" as:

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 21, 2023, 07:12:25 pm
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2012, 02:42:57 pm »
I'd pay for a step-by-step walkthrough on how to get Mame/Pi running (for "dummies," so to speak).

Also, i keep reading "Picade" as:

I vote for the new name to be "Pi-Card"  :laugh:

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2012, 08:16:50 am »
I just saw this and I'm happy it's being done but I think there is a huge unknown here in that the Pi's performance for gaming just isn't up to snuff.  So this project is misleading because people are going to go in believing they'll get the same performance of an x86 only to be let down after actually implementing it.

There is also NOTHING in this kickstarter that I can see dealing with the distribution running or how they are running/setup MAME.  So I'm worried.  There's information here that I would want to see before I invest.

I agree with your sentiments about the project being misleading. I had considered those issues as well: Performance and the distribution of MAME and its ROMs.

cyber7

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2013, 02:02:51 am
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:29 am »
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/pi-mame-another-insane-project/
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com

Hi Guys
This is just a reference to a nice step-by-step installation and pitfall guide.

cyber7-out

kiwasabi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2014, 12:14:51 pm
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2013, 12:51:55 pm »
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com/2013/09/18/pi-mame-another-insane-project/
http://aubreykloppers.wordpress.com

Hi Guys
This is just a reference to a nice step-by-step installation and pitfall guide.

cyber7-out

How is the performance? I heard even Street Fighter 2 struggles on a Pi. You can get a micro PC based on the RK3188 chipset, quadcore 1.4ghz processor, 2GB RAM, etc for around $70 these days. Then just use Android OS on it and you're golden.