Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Disney buys Lucasfilm  (Read 4011 times)

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 02:54:32 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
Disney buys Lucasfilm
« on: October 30, 2012, 05:02:10 pm »

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:05:31 pm »
YESSSSS!  :applaud:

That's a lot of money to push Georgie out.  God-bless-em' though...it is finally done.

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:12:13 pm »
Finally that Maniac Mansion Pixar movie can get made.  :cheers:
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »

:droid :droid

Finally that Maniac Mansion Pixar movie can get made.  :cheers:

I would easily be there there opening night.  8)

DrChek

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 10:41:01 pm
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:23:37 pm »
Already updated my side art.  ;)

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 05:27:40 pm »
Already updated my side art.  ;)

:duckhunt I see that the Hoth Turret is pointed right at mickey's head. Is that a subtle hint that he is the Galactic Empire?  ;)

Necroticart

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 05, 2023, 10:42:36 am
  • Welcome to my nightmare
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 05:55:59 pm »
hopefully this means we will be getting the original version of the trilogy on blu ray.

Player 3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2014, 08:21:49 pm
  • The Alternative Idiot
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 05:57:25 pm »
Worst case scenario they're doing episodes 7, 8, and more every two to three years. Oh wait.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 06:25:54 pm »
What the Hell, why not? Can't pussify the films any more than Lucas has already done.

It'd be interesting to see Vincent and R2D2 side-by+side.  :laugh2:

Guess Hans will never shoot first again.  :badmood:

DrChek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 10:41:01 pm
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 07:27:26 pm »
Won't matter what they do. I've already convinced myself the IV-VI are the only real Star Wars movies.

C-DUB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2014, 10:20:44 pm
  • I hunger!
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 07:52:24 pm »
Awww. Grandpa turned in his drivers license before it was taken away.
C-DUB

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 08:50:07 pm »

I made a meme!
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:05:45 pm »
This is real exciting.  I didn't think I would live long enough to see this day.  For some reason I thought he would turn the company over to his kids.  It sounds like he really is stepping back and turning things over to Kathleen Kennedy. 

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 01:02:06 am »

I made a meme!

Must.... resist.... incest.... remark.....

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 10:15:37 am »

Lucas was never going to turn anything over to his kids.  His kids don't get any of his money at all.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 10:57:57 am »
Sounds like an excellent move to make.   :applaud:

Disney is the obvious choice. 

Let's hope they do a better job than Tron 2.0.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 12:49:42 pm »

Lucas was never going to turn anything over to his kids.  His kids don't get any of his money at all.

We has changed his mind and contradicted himself so many times who knows what to believe. At least now he is out of the descision making loop.

Sent from my Atari 800 mobile device using Tapatalk

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »
On the one hand, I don't really care what happens to Lucasfilms.... they haven't made anything worth watching in decades.  On the other this kind of stuff is scary.  You guys are all excited that Disney owns yet another originally independant company and ip?  Are you are on crack?

Here's the deal.... at this point 90% of all of pop culture is owned by two companies.... Disney and WB.  Less competition means less creativity.  It's sad really. 

And this is Lucas Film we are talking about...  they've got Star Wars, which is a washed-out ip that will never regain it's former glory and what?  Old adventure games and Indiana Jones?  Disney doesn't want it for the film rights, they want it for toys and theme park rides and t-shirts and more worthless crap that they can sell to you with little to no effort.  Expect the films they release to be of the lowest quality plot-wise... which actually kind of fits into the Star Wars cannon (sorry SW fanboys.  ;) )

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 10:53:11 am »
Disney doesn't want it for the film rights, they want it for toys and theme park rides and t-shirts and more worthless crap that they can sell to you with little to no effort.  Expect the films they release to be of the lowest quality plot-wise... which actually kind of fits into the Star Wars cannon (sorry SW fanboys.  ;) )

Hooray for new toys, theme park rides, t-shirts and other crap!

First you say Lucasfilm hasn't done anything in 20+ years. Then you say Star Wars is a washed-out IP that will never regain it's former glory. So why do you care who buys it? Your post is nothing but piss in cornflakes. Cornflakes you didn't even like in the first place. What exactly would you have us do? Send a collective boo to Disney?

I just can't see why Star Wars (which you don't like) being acquired by Disney (which you don't like) bothers you enough to even write a post about it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 11:17:03 am »

I figure Disney can make this a great thing.  Disney could also make this suck.  It could go either way.

Disney has a recent history of knowing when to let creative teams stay in a vacuum while still putting Disney resources behind them.  They did it with Pixar and Marvel.  They brought Tron back to life and continue to expand it with Tron Uprising.

Star Wars has so much already written.  Well over 100 full novels.  If they get some folks in who are adept at converting novels to screenplays then they have enough material already in existence to make fifty movies.

I also think this is partially in response to Harry Potter world at Islands of Adventure in Orlando.  The Universal parks are making Magic Kingdom and Epcot look ancient.  Islands of Adventure has Marvel, too, so Disney couldn't counter with that even though they own Marvel.  I would not be surprised to see the majority of this end up being a theme park investment within the next few years.  They had to do something, theme park wise, to counter Harry Potter and Marvel.  The Magic Kingdom Princess thing isn't working anymore.  Little girls now don't even know who Belle, Ariel, and Jasmine are.  They are only passingly familiar with Cinderella and Snow White.  Take that away and all the Magic Kingdom is is a 1985 era theme park.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 11:24:44 am »
I'm excited to see what they do.  I went into the prequels with no preconceived ideas about what they should be and enjoyed the movies.  Are there things that could have been better, sure.  I still enjoyed seeing them.

To Chad, I can assure you that the Disney Princesses are doing better than ever.  With four daughters, including a set of twins that just turned 4, I know first hand how well they are doing.  Disney is continuing to take old IP and create new stories/ideas that are well designed and written.  Sure they market the crap out of it but they are in business to make money.   Case in point, they have released 3 (I think) DVDs in the last few years about Tinkerbell.  New background, story lines, etc.  Well written and well produced. 

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 11:43:10 am »
Disney doesn't want it for the film rights, they want it for toys and theme park rides and t-shirts and more worthless crap that they can sell to you with little to no effort.  Expect the films they release to be of the lowest quality plot-wise... which actually kind of fits into the Star Wars cannon (sorry SW fanboys.  ;) )

Lucas has always been very generous with merchandise. I doubt we will see anything difference other than a disney logo on our t shirts. disney also had an agreement to have Lucas stuff in their park. There has been a SW ride and indy live show for years at disney land. Yeah, it might expand, but disney is smart enough to know they have to make enjoyable movies and shows to promote their rides. That has been their business model since Walt was the boss.

I personally think it is gonna go down like Pixar. The core stuff will still be quality, at least for the time being, but there will be endless cash-ins on the previous goods. Since Lucas already does this, we won't notice much other than hearing the phrase "Buy now before it gets locked in the disney vault" between each re-release.

And Disney won't have that pompous attitude that George did about his specializations. I can guarantee Disney will give the fans a bone and officially release the original films correctly. Of course that will probably be in a $150 'blu-ray+dvd+digital video+20 mini-documentaries+special bonus commentary by Warwick Davis+blooper reel' deluxe collector edition in a tauntaun case with a $5 off "Cars 5: Mater Meets Wolverinemobile and the uncanny X-Cars" coupon for those who pre-order.  :D

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 11:45:16 am »
I just can't see why Star Wars (which you don't like) being acquired by Disney (which you don't like) bothers you enough to even write a post about it.

As I recall, Howard's a Star Trek fan.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121783.msg1292061.html#msg1292061
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:49:25 am by yotsuya »
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 03:33:25 pm »
I can guarantee Disney will give the fans a bone and officially release the original films correctly.

I sure hope so. When my daughter ready to be introduced to Star Wars (you now, the complete series, all three movies) the version of Jedi I have access to better end without Hayden Christensen. Otherwise I will be digging out the vhs tapes.

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 03:34:55 pm »
Otherwise I will be digging out the vhs tapes.

I have the laserdiscs ripped to DVD.  As good as it gets...   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »
I can guarantee Disney will give the fans a bone and officially release the original films correctly.

I sure hope so. When my daughter ready to be introduced to Star Wars (you now, the complete series, all three movies) the version of Jedi I have access to better end without Hayden Christensen. Otherwise I will be digging out the vhs tapes.

Mine loves all six, and she's 10. It's all good.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 06:10:06 pm »
On the one hand, I don't really care what happens to Lucasfilms.... they haven't made anything worth watching in decades.  On the other this kind of stuff is scary.  You guys are all excited that Disney owns yet another originally independant company and ip?  Are you are on crack?

Here's the deal.... at this point 90% of all of pop culture is owned by two companies.... Disney and WB.  Less competition means less creativity.  It's sad really. 

And this is Lucas Film we are talking about...  they've got Star Wars, which is a washed-out ip that will never regain it's former glory and what?  Old adventure games and Indiana Jones?  Disney doesn't want it for the film rights, they want it for toys and theme park rides and t-shirts and more worthless crap that they can sell to you with little to no effort.  Expect the films they release to be of the lowest quality plot-wise... which actually kind of fits into the Star Wars cannon (sorry SW fanboys.  ;) )
Personally, I'm a Disney fan-boy. Always have been, always will be. This might be judged as being on crack, but I don't care. I grew up with the classic Disney films, and classic WB shows, something I'm sad kids today don't usually get to experience.  When I was younger, my role-models were the "nine old men" of Disney: John Lounsbery and Milt Kahl as my favs, as well Chuck Jones (looney toons). I give credit to Disney for forging my career in animation, and art.
Star Wars was my second love.

So for me,  this is like putting two cakes together AND eating it too!

whammoed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:01:52 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 06:30:00 pm »
Otherwise I will be digging out the vhs tapes.

I have the laserdiscs ripped to DVD.  As good as it gets...   :cheers:

You guys need to check out Harmy's despecialized versions.  They are HD and awesome.  I have all three.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2024, 11:59:54 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »

First you say Lucasfilm hasn't done anything in 20+ years. Then you say Star Wars is a washed-out IP that will never regain it's former glory. So why do you care who buys it? Your post is nothing but piss in cornflakes. Cornflakes you didn't even like in the first place. What exactly would you have us do? Send a collective boo to Disney?

If you actually read my post I said that I DON'T care about the IP.... what I DO care about is Disney getting too big for it's britches.  I don't think people realize... they own Marvel, they own the Muppets, they own Pooh, they own Pixar, they own MGM, they own half the channels on tv and Now they own LucasArts. 

And you are entirely mistaken... I love Star Wars and I love(ed) Disney.  But I love Star Wars like I love Back to the Future... they were a great three films.... I think most of the spin-offs, merchandising, prequels, novels, comics, ect.. are crap.  They stretched the franchise entirely too thin.  As for Disney, working there actually used to be my dream job.... until the mid to late 90's, when they started churning out crap by the bucketloads.  You know, sequels to movies that don't have sequels, like the little mermaid, beauty and the beast, the lion king, ect...Then they implemented b.s. like "the Disney vault."   So yeah, expect that original edition, after they've released 4 other editions and told you that if you don't buy them now they will "go back in the vault"  and you won't be able to buy them again for years. 

I think much like Star Wars, people look at Disney with their nostalgia glasses on.  Disney used to be awesome.... the key word is used to. 

SNAAKE

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2024, 12:21:50 pm
  • my joystick is bigger than your joystick !
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 11:31:23 pm »
inb4 south park evil mickey :laugh2:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 07:51:43 pm
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 09:19:58 am »

If you actually read my post I said that I DON'T care about the IP.... what I DO care about is Disney getting too big for it's britches.  I don't think people realize... they own Marvel, they own the Muppets, they own Pooh, they own Pixar, they own MGM, they own half the channels on tv and Now they own LucasArts. 

And you are entirely mistaken... I love Star Wars and I love(ed) Disney.  But I love Star Wars like I love Back to the Future... they were a great three films.... I think most of the spin-offs, merchandising, prequels, novels, comics, ect.. are crap.  They stretched the franchise entirely too thin.  As for Disney, working there actually used to be my dream job.... until the mid to late 90's, when they started churning out crap by the bucketloads.  You know, sequels to movies that don't have sequels, like the little mermaid, beauty and the beast, the lion king, ect...Then they implemented b.s. like "the Disney vault."   So yeah, expect that original edition, after they've released 4 other editions and told you that if you don't buy them now they will "go back in the vault"  and you won't be able to buy them again for years. 

I think much like Star Wars, people look at Disney with their nostalgia glasses on.  Disney used to be awesome.... the key word is used to.

Yeah, the way you talk, it sure looks like you love star wars.  ::)

I think you are subconsciously preparing yourself for the worst. You'll probably be the biggest fan boy in 2015.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2012, 09:22:33 am »
I dunno, it appears Disney's purchases of Marvel and the Muppets have resulted in some top notch products. I'm not big on superhero movies but I enjoyed the Avengers, and I LOVED the Muppet film. I have high hopes for any new Star Wars stuff.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2012, 09:30:30 am »
The new Muppet movie was pure joy.  :woot