Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: JFront 0.3 released  (Read 3898 times)

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
JFront 0.3 released
« on: May 03, 2002, 09:47:43 am »
Finally got around to remove the features I wasn't going to fix, and fix the ones I needed.   After 6 months between revisions, and me mentioning my vapor ware products... I was influinced on many fine titles (Diakata, Duke Nukem Forever to name a few...)

Of course the two screenshots I took at 1am last night, neither has anything interesting on it or new... sigh...

Why?  
Q) hey, it looks like other frontends... why would I use yours?
A)
 1) I spent a good amount of time making my frontend work with multiple ControlPanels, storing mames configuration files and copying them around for the right games (so you only need to configure 4way games once, or 4player setup can be different then 2player games.).  I also have disabled / but can get anyone interested / encoder support.  Where you setup files to configure your encoder, then I will call them when needed.  This can be by Control Panel, Game or Emulator (but only mame support is in).  
 2) Its open source... and written in a development system where the tools are free.  So you don't like something, go change it  ;D
 3) Because I wrote it... and if nobody uses it... I will be sad..  :'(

Whats new?

Well, I completely rewritten 90% of the code.  Mainly for personal use initially... then recently adding some way to configure it without the source around.

Skinnable
Favorites
Will configure everything if no config files exist... Easer to setup

In FE configuration
Mame cfg handling (configure 4way games once... for them all)

Config set per Control Panel

Encoder configuration... NOTE:  I just removed this because it doesn't work well on my 98 machine... but it's works in 2000/Linux.  If anyone would like to have your encoder updated when you change control panels, games, or emulators, please let me know (I will compile it with it enabled).

The list really goes on.   Mainly under the hood.

Now... has anyone noticed that it looks similar to ArcadeFX and RD?  Well, up until 2 days ago, I was running Eds (ArcadeFX) images with my skinner.  Why?  Because I'm not as artistic...  I wrote my frontend to look like his screenshots (Awok2k days ;))... Then when he released, I had a skinner to make mine look like his a few days later.   Just putting credit where credit is due.

I forgot to mention Doug Hansen for the cabinet image.  I was going to use it normal, but when I copied it in Gimp with the magic want, that is what I got... and I like it :)

Well, The longer list of whats left out.

1) Encoder support (mentioned above... worked great until I got it on my 98 machine... so taken out last minute)... but it is pretty cool.

2) More emulators.  I added support to add them, but never got around to finishing them.  (was kinda hoping that Howards middle wear pieces would come out and save me some work).  And yes, I removed the generic emulator driver... so it's mame only for the time being.

3) Transparent front image.  I was hoping to put animated transparent gifs or something over all the beans.  Never got around to it (and I don't have an easy way to create images... sigh)

4) Index configuration in game... have to modify the index.properties

5) Removal of the mame -listinfo > listinfo.txt run before.  I can capture it... just didn't write it that way.

6) Checking to see if the roms actually exist... Yes, I assume you have them all.

NOTE:  YOU WILL NEED JAVA JDK OR JRE VERSION 1.4.  

http://java.sun.com to download 1.4  (JDK if you plan on modifying the source and JRE if not)

ftp://http://ergotech-usa.com/~drake/jfront.zip
ftp://http://ergotech-usa.com/~drake/jfront_src.zip

Well, I will probably try to get a few more items working (encoders mainly), so I can start with all my new ideas...  for 2 weeks I had to decide not to add anything just so I could get it actually...well...running

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
Re: JFront 0.3 released
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 09:49:38 am »
quick note.  The instructions doesn't mention that you need catver.ini

http://www.mameworld.net/catlist/
(the standard file).

put the catver.ini in your mame directory.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2002, 04:27:45 pm »
Ok, I wanted to write a quick update to configuring mame games.

JFront keeps track of the mames default.cfg files.  It then copies the one that the current game will use before starting the game.  

example.  

go to a 4 way game. (Ali Baba and 40 Thieves)
type 'edit' to get into the edit screen.
press configs

A window will popup with a text field, and a bunch of buttons.  Each button represents a  configuration that we want to seperate from others.

There are two for each input type/player/button combo.  The default and the one for the current control panel.

They go from the most specific, to the most general.  The first one it finds, will be the default.cfg we will use.

So, we want a generic joy4way setup.  This will show up as the bottom of each 4way game...

Click joy4way (if it says create).  This will copy the current default.cfg file to joy4way config.  

Next, close the windows and start the game.

Config the game by using the default settings (instead of the game specific settings).

When you quit the game, it will copy the default.cfg file back.  

Now, run another 4way game, and see that the defaults are what you just set.

Now, do the same the with an 8way game ('edit', configs, hit 'create' on joy8way, close windows, start game).  
'
Then setup the defaults again.  You now have setup all 8way games and all 4way games!

Other useful ones.

2player_joy8way_6buttons - for all the Street fighter games.  Swap those punch and kick buttons (mame is still wrong about those... punchs are on top)

4 player cabs can setup all 4player games to use player 1 as the far left joystick.  All 1/2/3 player games can use the left middle joystick as player 1 (I hate playing off the side of my machine when I'm alone).

You can also set this feature by setting up 2 control panels (make a directory under cfg directory for each controlpanel).  Make a 4-player and a 2-player control panel (even thought there is only one control panel).

More tips later

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2002, 09:58:42 am »
quick note... found out the problem with the encoder code in 98.

Java can't run batch files 98!  How sucky.  I've heard a few work arounds (non that worked for me) but nothing worth it.

I'm going to change it.  I'm going to get rid of batch files and go directly to running the encoder code.  So this will probably take a little bit.  The big trouble is that I was running them by name... it will have to be by key file.

I've also fixed a few other small things.  I will try to get the encoder version soon

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2002, 09:14:58 am »
Another quick note.  I have given up on the direct encoder calling... Why?  win98 really sucks.  Everything has been working for a month in 2000 and I'm not getting enought time to debug Suns bugs.  I think it's pure dos executables that don't work.  

Anyway, I'm not going to readd it unless someone specifically asks.

I fixed a few other quick things and will probably do a quick update later.  I haven't had much time to work on it.  (I've had a ton of other more interesting projects going)