Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Bubble Bobble themed YAWN (Yet Another Weecade Number)  (Read 21549 times)

sho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2022, 10:44:00 am
Bubble Bobble themed YAWN (Yet Another Weecade Number)
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:19:02 am »
Hello.

One of them long time lurkers that finally took the plunge.
This Weecade is born from the frustration that:

a) I don't have the space for a full size cab.
b) I have zero woodworking experience.
c) My 19" CRT would have looked like a steaming pile in a full size.

So perhaps the logical beginning is a bartop that I have frowned at for years.

I am currently seriously contemplating a Bubble Bobble theme, but total lack of graphics experience might become a hindrance (I have already begun pestering others more skilled, let's see what comes out of that :) )

This cab is not going to be breaking any new ground, it's based on several of the bartops on this site and I have been using Degeneratrons builds as a reference. I plan to make the CP out of MDF and use 2 x U360s with 6 buttons each.
The guts will be a 20th century Athlon XP machine (If it fits  :-\ )
Currently I am going for a minimalistic admin button setup, with only 1P, 2P and a coin button on the front. If the shift functionality gives me problems, I might have to re-evaluate that.
I am still one the fence regarding Pinball buttons, guess I will start out by actually installing VPinMAME on the machine to see how it goes.

Front end of choice is MaLa, I did tinker with it for a while getting Mame, Daphne and some 8/16 bit emulators to run with a limited selection of ROMs.

Current status:
Cab assembled and painted, marquee lit, only sideart missing.

Other Bubble Bobble themed cabs by:
sdchown  shadow05  FinnJävel  OverRide  bsam  YoGaBaR 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 09:06:23 am by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

sho

• Offline Offline
Re: YAWN... (Yet another Weecade Number)
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 05:33:04 am »
My decased 19" Trinitron CRT, that I knew from the beginning I would never be satisfied with in a full size cab:

Then on to alternative (and less exciting) methods.
Here is the unassembled shell with the originally intended rotatable 17" LCD.

After looking into the Darkade, I soon realized a rotating mechanism would be beyond my woodworking skills (or at least patience) and started thinking about a bigger screen. After all a 19" vertical dimension almost matches a 17" horizontal.

As you can see, it's quite the squeeze.
The CP is just a proxy, some particle board i used to test button drill sizes.
Well, now I am off to the US to score some parts! ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 09:48:14 am by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:12:01 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:07 am »
Sho,

Looks like you're off to a great start.

If you're looking at Visual Pinball or Future Pinball, the biggest concern that I have is the graphics.

If you're planning to use the onboard graphics on your "20th century" MB, you'll probably have a hard time getting many tables done in the last couple years to run right. If you need more graphics horsepower, look at an inexpensive nvidia card like this one, since those work great with VP/FP.  This card + MB from 2009 = run any table you want.

Scott

Edit: Just saw a right angle PCI Express Riser Card - x16 in another thread.  Thought the idea might help with space issues.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:36:08 am by PL1 »

wol-nz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2020, 02:42:44 am
  • Arcade!? - Never! - Really? - Yup!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 08:42:00 pm »
I love bubble bobble - I'm not sure if this will help you. I've just put some BB components into a themed canvas to see if i can create a bubble theme for my pinball.
It is very raw now (created in photoshop and vector magic assistance) but may give you something to use for yourself.
If you have any ideas then i'm all ears -
I was thinking of putting other arcade chars within the bubbles (scattered around)

This thread shows how by adding bling it can really make artwork pop
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=119763.0
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:59:23 pm by wol-nz »
My art is always free for you to download and modify as you see fit...
Why?... because I could never find any art I loved on the net. So I played around with Photoshop and wish to share it with the arcade community.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 08:00:17 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:09 pm »
Best of luck on your build.  I never yawn at a weecade build because I know how technically challenging they can be.  You will run into space issues, get frustrated, and overcome in the end like all the other weecaders have before you.  You may not be rotating (it was kindof a pain in the tail) but I can't recommend enough to rig your joysticks to autorotate between 4way and 8way.  Look forward to seeing this come together. 

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 07:14:30 am »
Thank you all for your kind words.
@PL1
As long as I can play The Addams Family and Bride of Pinbot I am set, IIRC they ran fine on my 3 generations ago ThinkPad T40. Otherwise, Pinball is just out while that HW lives (If it fits at all ;) )

@wol-nz
Regarding the artwork, I really like what Zorg is playing with here. I have already approached him and despite lack of time he responded in a positive manner. I think I will give it a shot but OTOH look at any alternatives (including yours).

@Prince of Purgatory (or whatever you go by these days, I initally misread it as Princess of Purgatory  ;D )
I already have one of the U360s with the Front-Mounted Restrictor Kit and had planned to use that on both (ease of installation and all).
While it feels a little wobbly, I have never used it mounted in a CP, so I will reserve final judgment until I do.
But then i could go on about how I will not try to go anywhere within your league after that Star Wars phenomenon  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:16:50 am by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

P-chan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2022, 12:39:40 am
Re: YAWN... (Yet Another Weecade Number)
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:52:51 pm »
Looks like a good start.  Just FYI, the U360 only supports 8 buttons each (without shifting), so if you're going to have 6 buttons, and a start for each side, that's 7, plus a coin button is going to fill up your inputs - you won't have any inputs left for side pinball buttons!

My only advice would be to shift the coin buttons, you can make it so that holding P1 start or P2 start plus one of the other 7 will add a coin, no sweat.  this will leave you one additional input per side, perfect for pinball.  Only downside is you will have to explain to people how to add a coin.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »
Looks like a good start.  Just FYI, the U360 only supports 8 buttons each (without shifting), so if you're going to have 6 buttons, and a start for each side, that's 7, plus a coin button is going to fill up your inputs - you won't have any inputs left for side pinball buttons!

My only advice would be to shift the coin buttons, you can make it so that holding P1 start or P2 start plus one of the other 7 will add a coin, no sweat.  this will leave you one additional input per side, perfect for pinball.  Only downside is you will have to explain to people how to add a coin.

Instead of using the shift for coins, couldn't you wire the left flipper button in parallel with P1 button 4 and P2 button 6 and use joy-to-key or keypadder software to map them to Left and right shift? If I'm right, this should give you flippers and you only have to remap 1 button in MAME simultaneous 2 player games that use 6 buttons.  Disclaimer: I have never used joy-to-key or keypadder.

Scott

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 04:38:04 pm »
I will have exactly one pushbutton left, but the NovaGemCDR™ Coin Drop Replacement Pushbutton is just too tempting. I will have to shift exit, volume etc.
I had planned to just parallel connect the pinball buttons to J1 B1 and B2, should that become an issue?

[Edit] Yeah, basically what Scott is saying ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 04:51:13 pm by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 05:10:49 pm »
I will have exactly one pushbutton left, but the NovaGemCDR™ Coin Drop Replacement Pushbutton is just too tempting. I will have to shift exit, volume etc.
I had planned to just parallel connect the pinball buttons to J1 B1 and B2, should that become an issue?

--Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not certain about the U-360 output format.--
Does the U-360 output only joystick button presses or can you map it to keypresses?

VP won't remap to a joystick-type button input, unless you know some trick I don't. I tried it a couple minutes ago with a USB PS2 controller.

This tells me that to run VP, you'll need the keypadder type software.

If you parallel wire Left Flipper with P1B4, it is MAME default left shift and VP default left flipper. Map in keypadder and it works with everything.

That leaves one other button to wire for Right Flipper + map with keypadder. P2B6 would seem to be the easiest, since very few MAME games use it.

Of course, you could just add Degenatron's USB AVR encoder;D Got my AVR from 404 a couple hours ago and it works great.  Set it to the pinball map and connect the flippers and any aditional buttons you might like.

Scott

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 05:26:57 pm »
I know no tricks, since I only ever played Vpinball using a keyboard. But I figured people were somehow doing it with all these magnificent 40+" triple screen chassis. Now I know more at least (this was one of the hurdles I planned to jump once I came across it).
Plus I was writing my post while you posted yours ;)
Bubble Bobble YAWN

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 06:09:14 pm »
I know no tricks, since I only ever played Vpinball using a keyboard. But I figured people were somehow doing it with all these magnificent 40+" triple screen chassis. Now I know more at least (this was one of the hurdles I planned to jump once I came across it).
Plus I was writing my post while you posted yours ;)

Looks like an easy hurdle for you, especially compared to the rest of the build.   :cheers:

Scott

wol-nz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2020, 02:42:44 am
  • Arcade!? - Never! - Really? - Yup!
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »
Hey ya! - not sure if you are still going bubble bobble. I've got a bit more done.. Although it has reference to Pinball (that can easily be changed)
I'll try to get some other stuff up to accompany this art... just an option for you  8)
My art is always free for you to download and modify as you see fit...
Why?... because I could never find any art I loved on the net. So I played around with Photoshop and wish to share it with the arcade community.

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:57:31 am »
Hi, while I am not in a position to refuse any kind of help on the art, this little number has inspired me to go for a blue overall scheme.

I am now back from the US scoring some parts as stated above, and couldn't resist doing a little test (too bad no one can see my perfect challenging stage ;) )

Trying out some buttons (although the Convex ones are all but decided upon since those are the only ones I have in enough numbers and correct colours).
From top left, Gold Leaf, standard Happs and GGG standard soft touch Competiton Convex.

Computer is turned on by shorting the gray wire with a pair of nose pliers  ;D

Couple of hurdles, it has proven to be hard to get a piece of 16mm MDF for the CP, looks like I might have to buy a full sheet just for that  :cry:
Also there is no way I will fit my archaic motherboard in there after installing that monster LCD, although it cannot be seen it stands a couple of cm out of the case in that pic. I will have to go back to the drawing board.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:14:38 am by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

sho

• Offline Offline
Re: Bubble Bobble themed YAWN (Yet Another Weecade Number)
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 06:02:01 am »
The next logical step would be to paint the cab. As I have stated before, this Bubble Bobble miniature replica was my main inspiration for the overall look.

But when I started thinking about it, I though it might become, well... too blue, so I made some mock-up art to help me visualize the project.

Then I started playing with some alternatives.  Zorg's excellent artwork is black originally so I decided to try that out. (try to ignore all white areas, as they will be painted the same colour as the sides)

While I was at it I decided to play some more, after all the dragons are green and blue.

Colors reversed

With a twist

What do you all think, what should I go for?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 05:34:15 pm by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:25 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:06 am »
that lime green is pretty sharp but the yellow is more original try combining those 2 :)
try these for the power situation i got a 2 for one deal :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-PC-Computer-Desktop-ATX-Power-On-Supply-Reset-Switch-Connector-Cable-Cord-/140653517532?pt=UK_Computing_CablesConnectors_RL&hash=item20bf9a5adc
but you could just as easily get one from an old pc case :)

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:26 am »
Actually I was just planning to install an arcade pushbutton on the back for power.
Bubble Bobble YAWN

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 05:14:08 am »
I would go Yellow like the flyer: http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=flyer&db=videodb&id=4038&image=1
Yellow... might be a little too much departure., although I see the merit of a flyer based cab.  Too bad these only ever seem to have been available as conversions, so it seems there are no "official" dedicated cabs out there to copy.
Maybe next time ;)
Bubble Bobble YAWN

sunnyp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2024, 01:44:58 am
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 09:45:51 am »
Nice cab - where is the coin button from?  Would love one of those for my bartop build.

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 10:38:15 am »
It's the NovaGemCDR™ Coin Drop Replacement Pushbutton from Groovy Game Gear. Once I saw it I just knew I had to get it (even though it's perhaps not the best match for this form factor).
Bubble Bobble YAWN

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2012, 09:59:45 am »
After a week away with the family, building can commence, this is where I was when I last posted (but forgot to append)
Shell assembled, CP built and mockup art applied for testing.

I came across an almost exact match to the blue colour in a store, there is no turning back now. (the CP will probably be green though).

The monitor decased for painting, should I paint the bezel black or blue also?

And now for a new dilemma, I had all but punched the holes when something in the back of my head told me to actually measure the U360, the plate is close to 100 mm wide, which does not fit the Slagcoin template (I will have to move the stick further away from the buttons). Since room is at premium it will mean that I will have to move the controls closer to the edge than I intended and it will leave less room for the players. For the experienced ones, what is the minimum distance between P1 button 5 and 6 and the P2 stick?

Bubble Bobble YAWN

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »
You can easily rotate the u360 plate if you haven't done that yet, that buys you some space.  Also check the clearance of the mini USB port.  The cable adds some size after mounted, might be an issue on P1.  It is on the side of the PCB.  It is a shame that it doesn't come out the back to allow tighter fits on the side.

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2012, 03:29:12 pm »
Thanks, I had the frontmount restrictor installed (hiding the screws) and did not even think of this ;)
Bubble Bobble YAWN

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 05:38:39 pm »
How time flies, I did get it up and running and managed to fry the mainboard a while ago. Full story to come.
Just a quick update, when space is at a premium, improvisations have to be made:

This is what it looks like today, will post more when I have new innards for it (for those the inspiration comes from here):

« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 05:43:06 pm by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

StrikeOne33

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2022, 09:32:36 pm
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »
Looks great so far. Has there been any more progress? I'd love to see an update.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »
Yes, what StrikeOne33 said.

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 07:27:45 pm »
Ok, a long overdue progress report, good to see someone is interested.

Here is the back, Logitech Z110 Speakers, HP 19" monitor, 250GB SATA, Some ATX PSU, 12V lit (power)pushbutton, Atom mobo, exit button.
Wonder when I will tidy this upp now that it's operational?

Marquee, GGG LEDs, tin foil needs revisiting.

All lit and dandy.
Notice the dustwasher on the P1 stick. It looks like the Frontmount restrictor allows particles to get into the U360 mechanics. Getting it out for cleaning is a PITA (done it twice already), thus the dustwasher.
Now I just need some sideart.. hopefully the one in my mockups comes through, It's my absolute favourite so far.
Bubble Bobble YAWN

dkssprs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2023, 01:32:26 pm
    • Bub & Bob's BARTOP
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 01:47:20 am »
Very shiny work mate!!! I love the blue and the bubble bobble. If you read my project(link at the signature) you will see that i was about make my weecade the same theme.... but bac to the future won the "race" at the finish.

I have a question : how did you mount the marquee. I dont see any brackets.

TheDude

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 17, 2017, 03:02:28 pm
  • Bartops all the way !
    • BARTOPMANIA
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2013, 02:29:58 am »
Very nice bartop !

Chris John Hunter

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2013, 02:33:45 am »

I would have gone for either a authentic Bubble Bobble  button layout or change two of each set of buttons to different colours to represent JUMP and BUBBLE.

Love the blue but [/size]I think the green is too much. But that's just my opinion.
 :cheers:

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 02:36:24 am by Chris John Hunter »

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2013, 06:17:40 am »
Very shiny work mate!!! I love the blue and the bubble bobble. If you read my project(link at the signature) you will see that i was about make my weecade the same theme.... but bac to the future won the "race" at the finish.

I have a question : how did you mount the marquee. I dont see any brackets.

Thanks, I am pretty sure yours was one of the projects I went through with a comb in the year or so before I started mine ;)
Basically the plexi is just held in place by the tight squeeze of the mdf above and below. The molding/batons then stop it from going too far in. (It does suffer from the dark rectangles because of them, perhaps one day I will shave the ends down if I ever get the proper tools).

I would have gone for either a authentic Bubble Bobble  button layout or change two of each set of buttons to different colours to represent JUMP and BUBBLE.
Love the blue but [/size]I think the green is too much. But that's just my opinion.
 :cheers:

Thing is, I have never seen such a thing as a authentic Bubble Bobble machine, all the pics I have found out there of actual arcade machines seem to be of conversions. What  colours would you suggest?
In the end I decided on a generic button layout to enable all the other titles that could be played on such a machine, although in retrospect 3-4 buttons would be quite sufficient for the titles I am interested in (not the fighter type).

I also decided all blue was just too monotonous and went with this scheme to break it up a bit. The internal debate now is if I should put art on the CP.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 09:02:49 am by sho »
Bubble Bobble YAWN

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2013, 07:48:59 am »
well I believe the Bubble Bobble dedicateds had a purple CP that matched the color of the font in the marquee.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:49 am »
Just an update to add for others using a game controller with Visual Pinball.   9.15 does support game controller remapping for the keys.  No separate keymaping program is required.

sho

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2013, 08:57:28 am »
well I believe the Bubble Bobble dedicateds had a purple CP that matched the color of the font in the marquee.
Do you know of any pics?
Bubble Bobble YAWN

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 07:29:48 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2013, 05:04:22 pm »
cant seem to find any  :-\
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 06:54:40 pm »
Looking for this one?

Someone at ZonaArcade did a repro.