Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ~~Removing Glue~~  (Read 968 times)

Bobby115

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2011, 06:55:13 pm
  • I'm a llama!
~~Removing Glue~~
« on: October 02, 2003, 01:49:17 pm »
I just got myself a cabinet and the sides were wood paneling. I was able to remove the paneling but I have dried up glue all over the place.......Is there something I can apply to remove the glue or do I just start sanding away :-)

Thanks alot

Bobby
Bobby115@aol.com

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
Re:~~Removing Glue~~
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 02:08:25 pm »
I noticed a product at Wal-mart just yesterday in the hardware section that has super glue and double-sided adhesive hanging stuff called something like "Glue remover" that was specifically made for removing glue and residue from glue.

I haven't used it, but figured I'd let you know that I saw it.

For just removing residue from stickers and such the stuff that comes in a yellow bottle made for refilling zippo/style wic-lighters in fantastic, but I don't know if it would work for removing the heavier duty stuff your laminate was stuck to the cab with.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 04:31:40 pm »
yeah... maybe you could try something like goo gone....
you can get it from HD... but I think you'll need to soak it and leave it for a while so that the dried glue is soaked and "melted".... then you can get it out.....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

tmasman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2024, 03:50:44 pm
  • Hello...
    • My (no so up to date) Home
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 04:37:32 pm »
A lot of paint strippers will eat away ay that kind of stuff too...
Just spread it around liberally, let it soak for a good 30 minutes (Keep an eye on it the first time you try it... Better yet, try it in a small test-area first!), then scrape it all off with a big plastic (or metal) scrapper.
I'm not a freak!...
Oh wait...
Yes I am...

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 04:56:08 pm »
I know 1 thing when I'm stripping wall paper off the wall...

instead of using those paint stripper... I used windex...
(yes.. those blueish glass cleaner....) somehow... they are better than those paint stripper.... (but I'm talking about wall paper... not cab sides...)

and IIRC... it was cheaper also....

if you have that at home.... you can try it in a small area...
but I can't guarantee if it'll stain the wood or any side effects...
(although it seems fine with the wall...)

but whatever you use.... definitely let it soak in.....
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

johnpurs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2022, 10:59:30 pm
    • John &ampamp; Mad's MAME2000 Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 05:23:10 pm »
You can use Naptha. It won't damage any paint and works pretty well. I use it after removing mylar from pinball playfields to remove the nasty glue residue left behind after freezing the mylar and easily peeling that off. Put it on liberally then use a plastic scraper to remove the glue after allowing to sit a few minutes. It smells pretty bad so if possible do it outside. It is aka lighter fluid. Available in Home Depot/Lowes/Hardware store. In the paint section near lmineral spiris, acetone etc.
MAME2K

Pins:Devil'sDare*Taxi*Meteor*Fireball 2*WC Soccer 94*WhiteWater*Catacomb*FunHouse*Nine Ball*Space Shuttle*Flight2000**SeaWitch*Centaur*Paragon*Big Game*F-14 Tomcat*

anthony691

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2016, 03:10:23 pm
    • Lightgun.tk
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 08:34:01 pm »
I had a big problem with this. I just went with the near certain death route (like wise) I decided to use gasoline covered rags. It worked well, but I am heppy to have my life.
Visit my MAME lightgun site:
http://www.lightgun.tk