Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Karate Champ move instructions  (Read 19447 times)

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
Re:Karate Champ move instructions
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2003, 07:33:47 pm »
As far as KC joysticks go, I've never played a KC game that did NOT have the red-ball-top joysticks.  I wasn't aware those were non-standard... All the arcades in my youth were the red-ball top type with fairly long throws and were pretty sturdy, not mushy at all.  

So, to all the "authentic" people out there, how does that play into authenticity.  If all the arcades around my town were of the "non-standard" variety of joystick on the KC machines, would it really be authentic (to me at least) to have the "mushy" ones ya'll are referring to?

Well in my case I am not so much worried about "authenticity" as much as having it the way that it was on the machines that I have used personally. In your case, if the machines that you played had the red ball leaf sticks then of course that is what you should go with. I've only played on one machine that had the red ball sticks (it was weird) and all the rest were those funky black sticks that seem to be far and away the most common for a Karate Champ Vs. machine.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 07:35:42 pm by maxim_recoil »

MaximRecoil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2003, 07:39:06 pm »
Years ago, I bought this game for 78 cents for NES w/ no manual.  I had no idea it was an arcade.  Anyhow,  it is unplayable on the NES and my friends and I could not stop laughing while playing it.  We could not face eachother and were always punching in the wrong direction.  Also, the bonus stages where pots are thrown at you made no sense.  I still don't know if you are supposed to dodge them or punch them.

Anyone else played this one for NES?  It is good times.

LOL, that has got to be the worst port of an arcade game ever, and quite possibly the worst one-on-one fighting game ("Karateka" for Atari 7800 gives it a run for its money though).

Edit: On second thought, "Double Dragon" for Atari 2600 (!) was thoroughly jacked and I would have to say that it was a worse arcade translation than NES's "Karate Champ". I made my 12 year old nephew who is used to Playstation 2 and whatnot play that game. He had a fit LOL. You are doing well just to get past the first two guys. I laughed myself to tears watching him try to even get a hit in on the first guy. They have magic punches and kicks or something because you don't even have to be in range of their attacks to get hit. Take a look at this:

See how my guy (in the middle) is flailing from punches and kicks that are no where near me? LOL!@that.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2003, 08:04:29 pm by maxim_recoil »

RetroBorg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2022, 09:22:13 am
  • Your arcade games will be assimilated!
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2003, 06:54:37 am »
Talk about having a thread hijacked, I don't really care, first thread I've started that's gone in to a second page. Good to see so many passionate gamers out there, me, I love Karate Champ and would rather play Karate Champ anyday of the week, rather than one of those newer fighting games. Anyway back to the original question, does anybody have a better quality picture of the Karate Champ moves?

Dartful Dodger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 23, 2012, 11:21:39 pm
  • Newer isn't always better.
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2003, 01:25:27 pm »
Talk about having a thread hijacked, I don't really care, first thread I've started that's gone in to a second page.

GO CUBS!!!
 ;D