Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (new aluminum joystick added)  (Read 6119 times)

jmike

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2023, 05:14:03 am
As some of you may know I've been working on my cocktail arcade for some time now (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=113537.0) been trying a few things but nothing that I'm happy with so I decided to take a break and build another fight stick. This time for myself.

I decided to go a different route with this one. As you can see this thing is huge!!!!!!!!! The plexi area alone measures 24 inches across. Believe it or not this thing is really comfortable to play on. With most of the button layouts we all use you can reach the buttons and the joystick with the same hand (and no you don't need 2 people to operate this thing   ;D).
Here what was used:

3/4 melamine for the top and sides
carbon fiber 3D (found an ebay seller in Miami got it in 2 days)                                                 
etched the akuma pic on plexi
mesh balltop to match the carbon fiber (focus attack)
aluminum anti-slip case feet (also focus attack)
hacked wireless xbox 360 from HaRuMan
White chromaLite buttons from GGG
Zippy Joystick (also from GGG)

Going to try and power up the buttons with a separate battery pack (which will be controlled by a switch on the back)
My original thought was to have the LEDs right under and above the etched art to make Akuma glow but decided an LED groove would make it uncomfortable to rest your hands on. (maybe I'll try it later on if I can find something smoother)

Let me know what you think.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 10:48:20 pm by jmike »

Uncle Monkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2020, 10:16:25 pm
  • P24L
    • Project Thread
Re: Huge XBOX 360 Wireless Fight Stick
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 09:47:19 am »
looks great......but uncomfortable, hope you made a working mockup to test all your distances/angles/etc....i can tell that from here that i wouldn't be able to use it......but as long as it works for you.....and hey, +1 for Akuma, +2 for the etching..... :cheers:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 10:13:24 am »
Nice.  I like seeing where my hacks end up.  I like the Akuma etching...   :cheers:

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 04:28:44 pm »
I really love the style of this! That Carbon Fiber look really turned out nice! Digging the matching joystick scheme as well. That's some awesome etching skills you have! :cheers:

I am guessing that the placement of the stick and buttons really allows you to relax each arm when playing as well. I like it.  8)

AGarv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2016, 07:29:18 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 05:30:05 pm »
Nifty! I can see how the design places your right hand at a nice angle for the buttons without the need for a wonky "ergo" button arrangement - looks comfortable IMO.

What is the "carbon fiber 3D" material, some kind of vinyl? How durable is does it seem?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 07:01:25 pm by AGarv »

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 11:06:01 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys.
The buttons and joystick are about shoulder length apart so, it's very comfortable playing.

AGarv, yes it is a vinyl type material and it's pretty durable too. Here's the ebay link, you get a roll that measures 2 ft x 5 ft , for around $20 shipped. I had ordered a similar size for the same price from a Hong Kong seller but it never made it here. (I think it's still in customs).  :dunno. This seller is in Miami and I got it in 2 days.  ;D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roll-24-x-60-2ft-x-5ft-3D-CARBON-FIBER-Black-Vinyl-Film-Sheet-/130686400298?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6d84372a

Nephasth

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:17:42 pm »
I like that balltop!

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 09:47:46 pm »
Got a little time to work on this beast this weekend. I googled a Street Fighter character select screen and decided to print it out in black and white (thought color would be too much). Very happy with the results. Next I'm planning on setting a red LED on Akuma's logo, hoping this will light up the etched art   :dunno. Pics don't the the lighting justice.
Let me know what you think.

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
Re: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (buttons lit with art)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 10:54:22 pm »
WoW that would make an awsome design idea for a ryu vs ken theme with the buttons:) with akuma playing judge haha :D
And im guessing you did do the etching on the UNDERSIDE of the plexi yah ???
either way thats some awsome artwork :D and a whole lotta controller nice work :) :cheers:

jmike

• Offline Offline
Re: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (buttons lit with art)
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 08:56:29 am »
GizmoGames, the etching for Akuma is on the underside of the plexi.

Small update, wired up all the LEDs and drilled and inserted 2 LEDs right under Akuma's symbol.
As you can see in the first pic the LEDs are a bit too bright, and I'm not able to get the etching to glow like I wanted (probably cause the LED is facing straight up). I need to find something to place above the symbol so it can light up the etching completely.
Second pic shows my finger over the Red LEDs and properly illuminating Akuma like I wanted. I have to find something that I can place over the light but still not look out of place or take away from the etching.

Would appreciate any suggestions

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (Akuma logo with lights)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:18 am »
I wonder if simply painting the tip of the LED black might diffuse the brightness in the center. Not sure how well it would work though. :dunno

Otherwise, that looks really great!  :cheers:

HaRuMaN

• Supreme Solder King
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+45)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:37:53 pm
  • boom
    • Arcade Madness
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 10:37:41 am »
I thought for etchings like that, the best way to get them to glow was edge lighting?

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion Vigo, I'll have to try that this weekend. 

HaRuMan, yes normally the best way to light etching would be with edge lighting but I thought having a bar with LEDs would be uncomfortable when you play. (also thought about putting it only on the top and button of the etching but it might look out of place to have a groove or track with LEDs sticking out.

I got some ideas, so I'll try them this weekend. 

Thanks for the comments

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 04:46:45 pm »
actually you may be better flatenning the top of the led to defuse the roundness :) int only the tip so its more flat then round :)
quicker to try aswell :) you said you put 2 leds in there maybe take one out aswell if its in the same hole :)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:17:09 am by GIZMOGAMES »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 10, 2022, 02:21:38 pm
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:28:29 am »
Man that carbon fiber stuff looks awesome. How sturdy is it and is it easy to work with?

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 09:24:02 am »
edekoning,
          the stuff is very sturdy and again for $20 a roll it's better than painting. The only thing is you definitely want to install it right the first time. Once you pull it off, the glue is so sticky you end up stretching it a bit.

GizmoGames,
           thanks, I'll try that next.

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 11:05:05 am »
if yr concidering carbon make sure its the uneven back carbon 3d style like they use on cars a tip is to use a squeegy and a hairdryer when applying it its ok to stretch a little but dont over do it :)
and no worries on the tip :) it was knievels tip i just remembered it gets rid of the hotspot problems :)
as they say learn something new and pass it on :D

jmike

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 10:28:01 pm »
Been a long time since I updated this, (that's because I just left it in the corner collecting dust  :dunno)

Found a somewhat solution to dim down the LEDs under Akuma's logo (black vinyl in shape of a weird symbol/character/troll) your guess is as good as mine.
Also I wanted to etch the plexi on the back of the stick and finally decided on the Street Fighter logo/font with LEDs inside so it glows in the dark.  :blah: :blah: :blah:
Here are the pics, questions, comments are welcomed.

(still have to finish up the wiring..... stay tuned) that means you Lee   ;D

jmike

• Offline Offline
Re: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (90% done)
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47:00 pm »
Small update, while surfing the web I came across a site that carried aluminum bat top joystick handles and well.... ;D

These things looks amazing in person!! I emailed them and Joe B. replied the same day. This is the site

http://www.dragonjoystick.com/products.htm

Joe said they had other colors that weren't on the site yet, but was kind of enough to send me some sample pics. Couldn't help it so I ordered the blue ones also. Check out the new handle on my Akuma stick. Also the blue ones will come in handy on a special project I'm getting ready for.

Vigo

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Re: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (new aluminum joystick added)
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 11:00:04 am »
Wow. That looks great with your fight stick!  :applaud:

Azure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2013, 08:27:35 pm
  • I want a candy cab:p
Re: Huge 360 Wireless Fight Stick (new aluminum joystick added)
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 04:37:18 pm »
Aluminum bat-top..... yummylicious:) I've seen his balltops, too. Those (balltops) will be just the thing for one of my cabinet projects. :applaud:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:47:35 pm by Azure »
Wishlist: Sega Swing (really want), Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks and buttons, MVS carts, IREM PCBs