Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: what servo amp for happ hack?  (Read 17479 times)

Brian74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Re: what servo amp for happ hack?
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2012, 09:57:52 am »
So does anyone have any theme or color ideas? I was thinking Racing Station, but haven't decided on a color yet. What would be the easiest way to repair the plastic?

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:10:48 pm
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2012, 10:34:47 am »
So does anyone have any theme or color ideas? I was thinking Racing Station, but haven't decided on a color yet. What would be the easiest way to repair the plastic?

Not sure what exactly you're repairing, but for large plastic panels, I usually use woven fiberglass mat and resin on the backside and either resin or bondo-glass on the front depending on how big the crack is. 

I've been wanting to try plastic welding, but haven't yet.  Harbor Freight sells the stuff to do it fairly cheap.

Sorry if it was mentioned elsewhere and I forgot, but what type of cab were you starting with?

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »
It is a yellow and black Daytona USA 2

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2012, 09:55:46 pm »
Well I got another donor wheel today, I moved my amc and ps away from my wheel. So I hope I wont fry another wheel. Im still fighting with the wobble. I need to adjust my belt to center my  wheel better. So Im back on track to building my racing cab.  :applaud:

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 10:02:34 pm »
So I have all the vr buttons hooked up the square X circle and triangle. I tested them, didnt get any random button presses or anything. To keep the wires in place, I hot glued them. So I plugged in the ps for the amc, now I get random presses. When I ground the happ and amc, it makes it worse. I dont know what happen!

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2012, 12:56:29 pm »

brad808

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2023, 08:18:15 pm
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2012, 04:55:22 pm »
Looks good so far, now turn it up  >:D! It looks like you turned your centering feedback right off? Once you turn up the strength of the ffb you should be able to start bumping the centering back up until you find the sweet spot where it feels good without rattle.

As far as the buttons triggering when you plug in the amc you really need to carefully go over all your connections and make sure everything is properly connected to ground. The Happ motor/amc really has nothing to do with the buttons. The only way they are connected to the logitech is through the original motor outputs so there should be no reason any signal should be getting sent back to the logitech in anyway. I don't know where you mounted your logitech pcb but just to be safe maybe try moving it away from everything else by a few inches just to make sure there isn't any interference?

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »
After I took this video, I tried adjusting it like you said too. I took the meter out, unplugged and plugged the wheel in. Measured with the wheel full lock left and right. One way the most I could get out of it was 23, the other way was like 19 something. After I did that I measured at the input and made sure it was at 0. After I did this, the wheel locked. I had centering and spring turned down to 12. Like you said, I couldnt feel much unless I ran into the wall or hit a car. I think Im going to try to hack the buttons like you did. What diodes do I use? I say the pinout that mark used, but Im lost lol.

brad808

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2012, 10:54:09 pm »
After I took this video, I tried adjusting it like you said too. I took the meter out, unplugged and plugged the wheel in. Measured with the wheel full lock left and right. One way the most I could get out of it was 23, the other way was like 19 something. After I did that I measured at the input and made sure it was at 0. After I did this, the wheel locked. I had centering and spring turned down to 12. Like you said, I couldnt feel much unless I ran into the wall or hit a car. I think Im going to try to hack the buttons like you did. What diodes do I use? I say the pinout that mark used, but Im lost lol.

If it's that far off you may have to take off the potentiometer on the wheel and adjust it a bit so it's closer to the stock center. If I remember correctly the calibration of the wheel potentiometer in windows doesn't have an effect on the force feedback center? I know it sounds stupid and it is but I remember that being the case for some reason. Basically what you will have to do is reinstall the pot on the back of the wheel, unplug the inputs from the amc and stick a voltmeter on the logitech motor outputs (not the amc outputs, but the ones from the logitech wheel). Try and get that as close to zero as possible, that way the amc won't have to offset such a large amount which will presumably cause issues. Once the outputs leaving the logitech read properly (should be close to 0 at center) then you can hook it back up to the amc and you will have to adjust the offset on the amc again.

Not sure if you saw this but its a short walkthrough about the buttons and has the diode part # I used.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=115186.msg1244331#msg1244331

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2012, 11:50:04 pm »
Here is another video

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2012, 11:51:14 pm »
Playing Daytona USA

brad808

• Offline Offline
Re: Re: what servo amp for happ hack?
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2012, 09:34:56 am »
I wouldn't worry too much yet how the wheel is reacting in Daytona. The first step should be getting the wheel to a good general starting point for all games using the amc and then you can adjust on a per game basis easy enough in software. As much as the Windows game controller sucks for setting up the amc at least you can use the effects tests to compare to my wheel and in comparison yours still seems a bit weak with no centering.

Have you taken off the pot yet? That should be step one then turning up the reference input on the amc.

As a side note double check the voltage leaving the Logitech motor outputs. One other thing you can try is turning up the current limit potentiometer on the amc

Sent from my Desire HD

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Yep... I built that!!
« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:51 am »
I adjusted the pot and at full lock left and right I get 23.5. The volts coming from the logitech motor output is .3. I couldnt get it any closer without over or under. believe it or not but ref and current are maxed out to get it to move like it does now.

brad808

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2012, 11:17:37 am »
Just another thought but what is the amp rating on the 12v power supply going to the Logitech (it is actually reading 12v with a volt meter right)?

Something isn't getting enough juice from somewhere. Just as a temporary test maybe try hooking up the original power supply to the Logitech wheel and see if you can get strong force from the wheel. Don't leave it hooked up but it may start eliminating pieces of the puzzle

Sent from my Desire HD

lordsnipe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2014, 11:49:06 pm
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2013, 10:11:24 am »
Hi all,

Thought I'd add to this thread as its a question I have too for my driving cab.

Picked up a Cruisin World which uses a Happ steering wheel and inside it there's a Rae 3120301 motor. Specs on the body show 90 Volts DC, 1.51 amps.

Has anyone hacked one of these using an AMC 30A8T and 24V power supply? I was going to use something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110920245043 , but this is probably going to be overkill, considering the motor is only rated to 1.51A? Is the FF going to be strong using this motor?

brad808

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2013, 10:14:47 am »
Hi all,

Thought I'd add to this thread as its a question I have too for my driving cab.

Picked up a Cruisin World which uses a Happ steering wheel and inside it there's a Rae 3120301 motor. Specs on the body show 90 Volts DC, 1.51 amps.

Has anyone hacked one of these using an AMC 30A8T and 24V power supply? I was going to use something like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110920245043 , but this is probably going to be overkill, considering the motor is only rated to 1.51A? Is the FF going to be strong using this motor?

Yes it'll all be good.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

lordsnipe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2013, 06:51:48 am »
Thanks for that.

Given that the motor is rated to 90V, should I go for a higher voltage power supply?

Am I right in saying I could cheap out and buy a 2A power supply too, since it won't draw more than 1.5A?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:53:39 am by lordsnipe »

brad808

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:55 am »
Given that the motor is rated to 90V, should I go for a higher voltage power supply?

No 24V power supply is lots.

Am I right in saying I could cheap out and buy a 2A power supply too, since it won't draw more than 1.5A?

I wouldn't. You have the same motor I'm using and I've measured mine up to 4A depending on which effect is being sent to the wheel. You can measure this on a couple of the pins of the servo amp. I'm not sure how a 2A power supply would work out to be honest but because you haven't got one yet I'd just buy one that I know will work rather then buy twice. 

lordsnipe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:20 am »
No probs .. 6A it is then!

24V 6A power supplies aren't expensive .. just thought given the choice of a higher voltage, less current power supply, would it be more suitable? Seems like 24V and some decent current is plenty.

Cheers.

brad808

• Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2013, 07:52:13 am »
I've never run into a situation where I have found the ffb to be underpowered. In quite a few cases I turn it down on the software side either through the emulator I'm using or through logitech profiler.

If you've got some cash to burn though pick up one of each and then let me know which one is better  :cheers:

lordsnipe

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 08:59:28 pm »
Hey Brad,

Sorry .. one last question. In my original Cruisn World setup, there is a  "Wheel Limit Resistor Assembly", which is plugged inline to the motor. Have you left yours in or removed it? Supposedly it contains a 1 ohm 10W resistor.

brad808

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2013, 09:02:51 pm »
Mine has been removed. If I remember correctly someone else had that as well, think they may have left it on. To be honest I don't think it made a difference.

kill-69

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2013, 06:31:32 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2013, 01:58:37 pm »
So I have all the vr buttons hooked up the square X circle and triangle. I tested them, didnt get any random button presses or anything. To keep the wires in place, I hot glued them. So I plugged in the ps for the amc, now I get random presses. When I ground the happ and amc, it makes it worse. I dont know what happen!

Hello, new here and just got a happ ffb wheel in a California Speed cab. Anyways you should make sure you bring all you grounds to a common point(avoids ground loops).  Ferrite cores found on most cables can be snapped on to your signal wires or servo wires to cut noise. If you put them on your servo wires try to get big ones you can wrap the wire around, and make sure it does not get to hot if it's real noisy. Also if you use shielded cable only ground one end.