Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: DIY keyboard encoder  (Read 65188 times)

degenatrons

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2016, 05:53:23 pm
    • KADE
DIY keyboard encoder
« on: May 20, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »
Hi,  I developed my own arcade encoder on a USB development board called Minimus.  The boards cost about £4.99 from http://www.modtraders.co.uk/minimus-avr-usb-development-board.html

I mentioned this in another thread and it seemed to generate some interest and it was suggested that I create my own thread.

I wrote the firmware to turn this board into a 21 input keyboard encoder and I have some presets for MAME (1 and 2 player).  I have this installed in my cab and it is working really really well.  I have previously used Xin-Mo for this job but this baby performs just as good.  They're all direct inputs,  no bounce or ghosting that you get with some keyboard encoders.

I put up a short video on youtube.

If anyone has any ideas for other presets then please let me know.  I already had a suggestion to add visual pinball/future pinball mappings.  Thanks to PL1 for the suggestion.
The device has eeprom storage and I am using that to store presets.  Presets can be toggled via a combination of buttons/pins

I have just added support for PS/2 devices,  although PS/2 emulation is not 100% tested and working.
I can emulate a USB game controller as well as keyboard.

My aim is to produce a multi-function arcade interface.  I am currently adapting this to provide xbox1 support for a Coinops Project.
I also build arcade cabinets and plan to use some pins to control power output to some devices.  This would have a number of uses including delayed start-up, led driver, sound output e.g. xbox1 takes about 12 seconds to start up and I don't want to show the boot animation.  I could delay power output to amp and monitor for 12 seconds and play a tune while the cabinet starts up.

Interested in peoples thoughts on this.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:46:32 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: DIY keyboard encoder
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:29:33 am »
The device has eeprom storage and I am using that to store presets.  Presets can be toggled via a combination of buttons/pins

Cool.

Does this mean you can store more than one keymap and easily swap them without re-flashing?

That might solve the problem of not enough inputs to handle the huge variety of Visual Pinball and Future Pinball tables. (some have a second set of flipper buttons, some have L+R magnasave buttons, etc.)  It could also prevent the rise of the FrankenPin!   >:D   *Screams of terror*

Scott

P.S. -- For those of us on this side of the pond -- In the other thread, 404 mentioned that he still had some v1 boards available. You can also find the boards here and here -- minus the most important part, the firmware.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 03:55:17 am by PL1 »

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 04:27:50 am »
Yes,  I can store loads of key mappings if necessary.

Activate PIN1, PIN2 and PIN21 together to toggle the mappings.  I suppose I could use a dedicated pin to do the toggle but this would reduce number of inputs to 20.  What do you think?
I am open to suggestions on how we manage the key mappings.

When mapping is changed I echo some text as keyboard input.  e.g. for MAME you would see "==MAME1P==" if you had notepad open.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:47 am »
Some info on the mappings I have currently.

1. Pin Diagram

USB
           +-----+
           |     |
           |     |
        +--+     +--+
     11 |o         o| N/A (VCC)
     10 |o         o| 12
      9 |o         o| 13
      8 |o         o| N/A (Reset)
      7 |o         o| 14
      6 |o         o| 15
      5 |o         o| 16
      4 |o         o| 17
      3 |o         o| 18
      2 |o         o| 19
      1 |o         o| 20
    GND |o         o| 21
        +-----------+

2. Mapping Presets

a) MAME1P
   1 Player MAME mappings with up to 8 buttons and special buttons.    

----+--------------+---------------
   Pin | Description  | Key
     1 | P1 Coin      | 5    
     2 | P1 Start     | 1
     3 | P1 Right     | <Right Arrow>
     4 | P1 Left      | <Left Arrow>
     5 | P1 Up        | <Up Arrow>
     6 | P1 Down      | <Down Arrow>
     7 | P1 Button 1  | <L-Ctrl>
     8 | P1 Button 2  | <L-Alt>
     9 | P1 Button 3  | <Space>
    10 | P1 Button 4  | <L-Shift>
    11 | P1 Button 5  | Z
    12 | P1 Button 6  | X
    13 | P1 Button 7  | C
    14 | P1 Button 8  | V
    15 | Cancel       | <Esc>
    16 | Select       | <Enter>
    17 | Config       | <Tab>
    18 | Pause        | P
    19 | Load / Save  | <F7>
    20 | OSD          | <Tilde>
    21 | Screenshot   | <F12>

b) MAME2P
   2 Player MAME with up to 3 buttons per player.    

Pin | Description  | Key
     1 | P1 Coin      | 5    
     2 | P1 Start     | 1
     3 | P1 Right     | <Right Arrow>
     4 | P1 Left      | <Left Arrow>
     5 | P1 Up        | <Up Arrow>
     6 | P1 Down      | <Down Arrow>
     7 | P1 Button 1  | <L-Ctrl>
     8 | P1 Button 2  | <L-Alt>
     9 | P1 Button 3  | <Space>
    10 | P2 Coin      | 6
    11 | P2 Start     | 2
    12 | P2 Right     | G
    13 | P2 Left      | D
    14 | P2 Up        | R
    15 | P2 Down      | F
    16 | P2 Button 1  | A
    17 | P2 Button 2  | S
    18 | P2 Button 3  | Q
    19 | Cancel       | <Esc>
    20 | Select       | <Enter>
    21 | Pause        | P

c) GENERIC
   Generic mappings for compatibility with all emulators - that allow redefine keys.
   All alphabetic, except PIN 21 which is the ESCAPE key.  This is typically used as back or exit.

----+-----
   Pin | Key
   ----+-----
     1 | A
     2 | B
     3 | C
     4 | D
     5 | E
     6 | F
     7 | G
     8 | H
     9 | I
    10 | J
    11 | K
    12 | L
    13 | M
    14 | N
    15 | O
    16 | P
    17 | Q
    18 | R
    19 | S
    20 | T
    21 | <Esc>

...and I will be adding pinball as suggested by PL1.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 04:49:44 am by degenatrons »

eldiau

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 06:01:40 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 06:44:56 am »
Very nice!  :applaud:
It would be great to have shifted keys too! As you implemented a sort of shift behavior to change the pin mapping I imagine it should be possible to do something like P1+Up=Esc mapping right?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 07:05:15 am »
Activate PIN1, PIN2 and PIN21 together to toggle the mappings.  I suppose I could use a dedicated pin to do the toggle but this would reduce number of inputs to 20.  What do you think?

Wouldn't a simultaneous 3-button press like using ctrl-alt-del to reboot work?

It will be easier if at least 2 buttons are always going to be next to each other like Player 1 Buttons 1 + 2 for MAME or Left Flipper and Left Upper Flipper for Pinball.

The only 1 button press method I can think of is to find a 3 Pole Single Throw (3PST) or Double Throw (3PDT) switch. Switch descriptions explained here. Not an easy thing to find or cheap. This is the cheapest I could find. :(

3PST switch with all 3 outputs tied to ground. All inputs are separate until the switch is closed, then all 3 are grounded.

1------/ ----|
.                  |-----Ground
2------/ ----|
.                  |
3------/ ----|

This circuit on the 3PDT switch pictured below would ignore the 3 on the left, connect 1, 2, and 3 to the far, center, and near pivot points respectively and connect all 3 on the right to ground.

To make it a physical 2-button push, you could use a dedicated DPST or DPDT (cheap + easy to find) wired in parallel with buttons 1 + 2 to "press" buttons 1+2  while you also press button 3 at the same time like this:

1------/ ----|
.                  |-----Ground
2------/ ----|    |
.                       |
3------/ --------|

Scott
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:31:08 am by PL1 »

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 07:52:01 am »
I am talking about a simultaneous button press,  like ctrl-alt-del.  I currently set this to pin1, pin2 and pin21.  I might change pin 21 to make it <ESC> so combo would be along these lines for MAME:

P1 start + P1 coin + <ESC>

I like the idea of a shifted key to access special config actions as suggested by eldiau.  I could make pin 21 the shifted key and this would be used in combination with other buttons to toggle the config (maybe up/down).  It could also be used to map to less used mappings for MAME or Pinball,  such as load/save,  and effectively allow for at least a further 15 mappings.

Good ideas guys.

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2015, 10:19:10 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19:34 am »
This is a great project degenatrons!

Tried it and it works great. I don't however, have a control panel or portable arcade stick to put this on to. Don't have an arcade at the moment either. :(

May I ask why you chose a keyboard encoder style over making a standard hid joystick instead?

For those that prefer a static picture of the minimus to mame pinout for 1 player, i have attached a pic based on the original picture by Bob Clough from http://thinkl33t.co.uk

I do have a few of these that i would let go for a cheap price for anyone that is having a hard time finding them in the states online. For any developers in the United States, I have only about a few AVR's left but I will offer up one free minimus to developers interested in making or contributing to the minimus project.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 07:42:28 pm by 404 »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 09:31:47 am »
Browsers like Firefox allow you to jump to specific tabs by pressing ctrl + number of the tab.

Would something like this work?

1+2+21 = MAME
1+3+21 = Pinball
1+4+21 = Game console

or

1+2+21 = MAME
2+3+21 = Pinball
3+4+21 = Game console

Also I think you mentioned earlier that the program outputs the name of the map as a series of keypresses that would show up if Notepad was open when you switch maps. 

Depending on what you're doing at the time, might this cause problems like jumping around the front end program?

Would using beeps or LED flashes instead be less troublesome? -- 1 beep/flash for map #1, etc

If you can call specific maps by number, you may not even need to have any confirmation output, since the keypresses sent by the map will be obviously wrong if it doesn't switch to the right map.

Scott

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:19 am »
404 - It would be trivial for me to adapt this to work as a standard HID joystick.  I took the keyboard encoder approach for default compatibility with MAME and also to use as the basis for another project I have in mind. 
I suppose I could add a toggle to switch from keyboard encoder to HID joystick encoder.   Do you think this would be a useful feature?
Man I just love these boards.  They're super easy to work with.

PL1 - I think we could simplify your suggested mapping if 21 is dedicated shift key.

1+21 = MAME 1 Player
2+21 = MAME 2 Players
3+21 = Pinball
4+21 = HID Joystick 1 Player* 
5+21 = HID Joystick 2 Players*
etc...

*Note: Switching modes from USB keyboard to USB joystick would require device to be unplugged and replugged first time.

I have been using the keyboard echo for debugging and thought it could be useful feature,  but now i am inclined to agree that it could be annoying to have keys sent to front end. 
The minimus has an LED so this could flash to confirm toggle and then have a series of additional flashes to inform you of mode setting.  Cool.

It is good to bounce these ideas around and get input.  It is much appreciated guys.

Cheers

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 10:13:39 am »
Actually,  come to think of it,  there is a hardware button on the minimus which could be used for toggle.  This is linked to one of the pins.

Simple solution would be to just press this HWB to toggle through presets.  This pin could also be wired to an arcade button. 
We could still provide for key combinations with this approach.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 10:37:46 am »
Simple solution would be to just press this HWB to toggle through presets.  This pin could also be wired to an arcade button. 
We could still provide for key combinations with this approach.

So using the browser tab analogy from earlier:

HWB = ctrl + tab = next tab to the right (next map) - relative shift

HWB + 1 = ctrl +1 = first tab from left (first map) - absolute shift

HWB + 2 = ctrl + 2 = second tab from left (second map) - absolute shift

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 10:54:39 am »
404 - It would be trivial for me to adapt this to work as a standard HID joystick.  I took the keyboard encoder approach for default compatibility with MAME and also to use as the basis for another project I have in mind. 
I suppose I could add a toggle to switch from keyboard encoder to HID joystick encoder.   Do you think this would be a useful feature?
Man I just love these boards.  They're super easy to work with.

Was just curious that's all. It was not and will never be intended to be a knock on your project. I've been waiting for this for a long time now actually. HID could have been used for other devices as well such as the ps3. Your project is specifically aimed at Mame and it does the job that it was intended to do 100%.

There is an HID project already specifically for mame use but unfortunately, i have been unable to compile the code properly. The author, Jamie Lentin uses the Minimus32 for this project.
http://jamie.lentin.co.uk/embedded/arcade-joystick/

Benjamin Blundell also has a sega genesis/megadrive to minimus project below. However, it doesn't seem as if he is too interested in releasing his source and schematics. :(
http://blog.section9.co.uk/2012/04/04/Minimus-and-Sega.html

Mega Emu's project also uses the same AT90USB162 that is available in the minimus.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=120305.0

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 10:58:26 am »
*fap*

:dunno
I think you're shifting the wrong tab there, PBJ.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 11:04:53 am »
Heh.  Are you going to post your firmware for this thing?  I'm glad to see a lot more options coming out for encoders lately - the parts vendors have been raping us for years.

the download link is in the description of the youtube video
www.mediafire.com/download.php?uip37zg8opnjxct

Funny thing is, most of the part vendors are quite literally selling customers an AVR all of these years. Most of which are based on this exact or very similar hardware.

JayB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2013, 06:11:59 pm
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 11:48:56 am »
 :applaud:

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys,  I will make some tweaks and push out some updated firmware. 

I think that is a good way to move forward.  If you guys can contribute and I can make changes to code and update the firmware.

404 - I spoke with Jamie Lentin a while ago about his HID joystick and he was really helpful in getting me started with the USB libraries and other points of reference.  It is also a big learning curve and I am still learning new things and developing ideas.

Is there any point in producing other MAME defaults?.  I think what I have would work for a 4 player setup using 2 AVR's.  In the MAME config I can simply set multiple keyboards.  Maybe I just need to put some instructions together to make this obvious.

I was looking at support for xbox1,  this is not working yet,  but it made me think about system specific mappings.  For e.g. the xbox frontend (coinops) uses combo of "back" and "start" button to exit the game and "back", "start", "left trigger", "right trigger" to exit to dashboard.  I was able to map these actions to a single pin for convenience. 
I expect to find similar nuances on other systems.

If we have some spare pins then media controls could also be an option.  Volume up/down is a good one for cab users.

Thanks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2012, 02:03:23 pm »
404 - I spoke with Jamie Lentin a while ago about his HID joystick and he was really helpful in getting me started with the USB libraries and other points of reference.  It is also a big learning curve and I am still learning new things and developing ideas.

I spoke to him as well. He even gave me the compiled hex for his HID joystick but it simply would crash when attempting to hit a button. Tried compiling and couldn't get it to work either. :(

It's entirely possible that i may have screwed up and didn't notice some minimus32 specific changes he made to the code.

Is there any point in producing other MAME defaults?.  I think what I have would work for a 4 player setup using 2 AVR's.  In the MAME config I can simply set multiple keyboards.  Maybe I just need to put some instructions together to make this obvious.

Not that i know of. Anything beyond that should be configured with a REAL keyboard. That's just my opinion though.

I was looking at support for xbox1,  this is not working yet,  but it made me think about system specific mappings.  For e.g. the xbox frontend (coinops) uses combo of "back" and "start" button to exit the game and "back", "start", "left trigger", "right trigger" to exit to dashboard.  I was able to map these actions to a single pin for convenience. 
I expect to find similar nuances on other systems.

Native xbox support is going to be a serious undertaking IMO. I would suggest first looking at the control pad libraries in the OpenXDK. Actually, that's probably about the only source for native xbox pad info legally available on the net.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2012, 02:12:04 pm »
Oh, and I know I'm always griping about feature creep but how about turning one of these into an encoder for a trackball that will work with an Xbox?  I can't get a single old PS/2 mouse to work, so I'm up a creek with hacking one of those.  I've had luck with newer optical mice but those aren't good for trackballs.
Hey,  for xbox,  I have done that very thing.  I have a working prototype using that supports controller, mouse/trackball and keyboard via PS/2 ports.  I had to bolt-on a PCB from a "smartjoy frag" which was used for playing keyboard in FPS games on xbox.  You can get those smartjoys really cheap now.
Some more info and pics on my thread for this on CoinOps forums at http://coinopsproject.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=761
Still need to do some work on this as xbox does not always acknowledge the device as a keyboard and have to plug/unplug a few times.
I am working on a version which uses some other parts.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2012, 03:40:58 pm »
My god, you weren't kidding on the Smartjoy's being cheap.  Some guy on E-bay is selling them $6/each or $20 shipped for 10 of them.   :o  I've got one coming in the mail, should be fun to play with for $6. 
Yep,  I paid about £1 each for mine.  Almost a giveaway.

Mine did not come with instructions,  but I managed to glean all the information I needed from a review at http://hardware.teamxbox.com/articles/xbox/954/SmartJoy-FRAG-Review/p1/

To work with these,  I get my AVR to talk PS/2 and connect it to the PS/2 port.  I have to sacrifice 2 pins (clock and data) put that still leaves 19 inputs and is a lot simpler and more reliable than a hacked pad.
The Miniumus AVR is not that great at PS/2 emulation, I had issues with interrupts, so I am going to make another prototype interface using a keyboard encoder chip.  These are unbelievably cheap too.  http://uk.farnell.com/holtek/ht82k628a-40diplf/ic-win-2000-kb-ps2-cont-dip40/dp/1420878?Ntt=holtek+ps/2

Have fun with your smartjoys!

meltman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2021, 07:45:27 pm
  • Brilliant!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,158544.0.html
    • My arcade gallery
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 02:45:59 pm »
This would be really great as a standard HID Joystick. 4 pins for axis, the rest for buttons. The only reason I'd like this is because some non-mame games want joystick input instead of keyboard. I guess having the hardware button switch the function would be cool if it saves the state it's in without power.

Anyone know of a supplier in the US for these things?

Nice work by the way. I was looking at this same thing and thinking of trying to turn it into a cheap encoder.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:49:10 pm by meltman »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 02:56:09 pm »

404 mentioned that he still had some v1 boards available. You can also find the boards here and here.

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 02:58:10 pm »
This would be really great as a standard HID Joystick. 4 pins for axis, the rest for buttons. The only reason I'd like this is because some non-mame games want joystick input instead of keyboard. I guess having the hardware button switch the function would be cool if it saves the state it's in without power.

Agreed. I'm not taking anything away from Degeneatrons work here but there are more and more "arcade-like" games that don't like keyboards at all. If you have enough skills, look at the link i provided from Jamie Lentin's minimus32 work. Maybe you can get something going there.

check some modchip shops online. If not, i have a few i can spare for a fair price.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 04:16:08 pm »

Agreed. I'm not taking anything away from Degeneatrons work here but there are more and more "arcade-like" games that don't like keyboards at all. If you have enough skills, look at the link i provided from Jamie Lentin's minimus32 work. Maybe you can get something going there.

check some modchip shops online. If not, i have a few i can spare for a fair price.

Hey,  I think I could add the USD HID Joystick emulation as another mode.  This way the device works both ways and you use it the way you want to.

I see a benefit now in making this both a USB joystick and USB keyboard encoder.

Cheers

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 09:02:24 am »
I added screw terminals the minimus AVR.  This will make it super easy to connect to arcade controls.  

These are really small,  specialist screw terminals with 0.1" pitch.  

This baby looks more like a keyboard encoder now.  

I am in the process of updating the firmware with other mappings as per suggestions on this thread.
Thanks to PL1 for his suggestion to maintain the reference to key mappings in Google Docs Spreadsheet.  I am currently putting something together and will update you guys when it is available.

Cheers

rablack97

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2022, 06:50:10 pm
  • If you don't try, you have no chance at innovation
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 10:57:43 am »
Man that looks good, great work.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »
I added screw terminals the minimus AVR.  This will make it super easy to connect to arcade controls.  

These are really small,  specialist screw terminals with 0.1" pitch.  

This baby looks more like a keyboard encoder now.  

I am in the process of updating the firmware with other mappings as per suggestions on this thread.
Thanks to PL1 for his suggestion to maintain the reference to key mappings in Google Docs Spreadsheet.  I am currently putting something together and will update you guys when it is available.

Cheers

where did you get those? been looking for a set like that for some time now.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 06:38:46 pm »
I think these are it....found fairly easily.

Screw Terminals

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:14 pm »
where did you get those? been looking for a set like that for some time now.

From China,  via an ebay seller,  ordered about 40 days ago.  Search for "0.1 terminal blocks".

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 08:14:59 pm »

Screw Terminals

Those are 5mm pitch, PCB's are generally 2.54mm so one screw terminal would take up 2 points.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 08:25:33 pm »
I used 0.1"(2.54mm) pitch, 12 way terminals

They're super small.  Will need a tiny screwdriver.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 08:26:51 pm »

Screw Terminals

Those are 5mm pitch, PCB's are generally 2.54mm so one screw terminal would take up 2 points.

Hence the word think...was worth a shot

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2012, 06:59:27 pm »
I made some changes to the AVR as per discussions on this thread.  Thanks to everyone for their input.  :)

1. For simplicity,  I set the hardware button (HWB) as the mapping toggle.  It is really simple to toggle modes now.  You can click the HWB switch on the AVR or you can wire an arcade button to the HWB pin.  No key combinations necessary.
2. The LED's (red and blue) flash a number of times to indicate the active mode after a toggle e.g. 4 flashes for Pinball key mappings.  I removed the nasty keyboard echo.
3. I added a key mapping preset for visual pinball/future pinball.
4. Number of pins available as inputs is now 20,  plus the dedicated HWB pin.

The revised pinout is as follows:

Code: [Select]
                   USB
                  +-----+
                  |     |
                  |     |
               +--+     +--+
            10 |o         o| N/A (VCC)
             9 |o         o| 11
             8 |o         o| 12
             7 |o         o| N/A (Reset)
             6 |o         o| 13
             5 |o         o| 14
             4 |o         o| 15
             3 |o         o| 16
  (HWB) Toggle |o         o| 17
             2 |o         o| 18
             1 |o         o| 19
           GND |o         o| 20
               +-----------+

PINBALL mapping is at preset number 4 (after MAME1P, MAME2P and GENERIC).   Thanks to PL1 for the mapping info for Visual Pinball / Future Pinball.
Mappings are as follows.

Code: [Select]
  ----+----------------+---------------
   Pin | Description    | Key
     1 | Coin           | 5
     2 | Start          | 1
     3 | Right          | <Right Arrow>
     4 | Left           | <Left Arrow>
     5 | Up             | <Up Arrow>
     6 | Down           | <Down Arrow>
     7 | Plunger        | <Enter>
     8 | L/Flipper      | <Left Shift>        
     9 | R/Flipper      | <Right Shift>
    10 | L/Up/Flipper   | A        
    11 | R/Up/Flipper   | <Quote>  
    12 | L/Nudge        | Z
    13 | R/Nudge        | /  
    14 | Fwd/Nudge      | <Space>
    15 | L/Magnasave    | <Left-Ctrl>  
    16 | R/Magnasave    | <Right-Ctrl>  
    17 | Test           | T
    18 | Pause          | <Pause/Break>
    19 | View Backglass | <Tab>
    20 | Exit           | <Esc>

I created a site to manage the project source, documentation, pinout details etc.  I will post details for this over the weekend.

Anyone have suggestions for other mappings?

This is coming along really nicely now,  and AVR is super easy to connect to controls with those screw terminals added.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2012, 08:35:05 pm »
Updated firmware, instructions and key mapping sheet is now available on my projects site at...

https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder/resources-for-usb-keyboard-encoder

I tested the firmware briefly but I am really too tired to do this thoroughly.  It would be great if someone could take a look and verify that everything is good.  Otherwise,  I will take a look tomorrow.

Thanks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2012, 08:54:20 pm »
Updated firmware, instructions and key mapping sheet is now available on my projects site at...

https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder/resources-for-usb-keyboard-encoder

I tested the firmware briefly but I am really too tired to do this thoroughly.  It would be great if someone could take a look and verify that everything is good.  Otherwise,  I will take a look tomorrow.

Thanks

As i mentioned earlier, I don't have a control stick to fully test this with. I did however, program the minimus i have laying on my desk and used a small piece of wire to short the pins together. Everything so far seems to work exactly as described. :)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2012, 09:08:12 pm »
Looks great.

My only concerns at this stage are: 1. compatibility across maps, and 2. logical progression.  

1. If common keys like arrows, enter key, and escape are on different pins for different maps, it defeats the purpose of switchable maps, because you'll have to rewire when you switch.

2. If you look at the order of inputs on an I-Pac, Mini-Pac, or Key-Wiz, you'll notice a pattern of logical progression to the inputs. This will become more important once people solder on the screw terminals you found since it appears it will be harder to read the markings on the board.  

One way you might do that is if "HWB" was moved to "20" and "reset" was moved to "10". the logical look of the layout would change quite a bit.  Not sure if it is possible, or if these switches are hardwired to those points. The resulting layout would look more like the familiar I-Pac/Key-Wiz patterns, and be easier for people to accept and follow.

Four fixed functions on the corners, inputs 1-10 on one side, 11-20 on the other.
vs
Gnd, 1, 2, 2a(HWB), 3, 4,. . .

Better to figure out the logical progression now before you hear the  :angry: calls to remap the board while others complain that they already wired it for the original map.

. . .Why, yes, I have been accused of thinking too much before.  How did you know??? . . .  :laugh2:

Scott

P.S.  One minor fix on the pinball input.  I apologize if the error or misunderstanding is mine.
11 | R/Up/Flipper   | <Quote> should be an apostrophe/single quote ( ' ) instead of a double quotation mark ( " )
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 09:20:35 pm by PL1 »

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2012, 10:17:16 am »
It's good to get confirmation that the update works - even if it was just a basic test.  Thanks 404.

Some good points from PL1.

1.  I will try to align the maps better so that common keys have the same pin assignments across the maps.  This seems like a common sense approach and is a good idea. 

2. I get your point re: the logical progression.  There is an issue though.  The HWB and Reset (and LED's) are linked to dedicated pins.  There may be a way to fix this in software and I will take a look at that.  I already fixed the LED's in software so pins do not send keys when I flash on toggle,  but this was by temporary deactivation of input i.e. not by reassignment.

It was my mistake to use the quote in the pinball mapping.  I will change that to use an apostrophe.

I will take a look at 2 first,  if I can reassign those awkward pins then we should be able to produce a more logical pinout.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2012, 01:45:11 pm »
It's good to get confirmation that the update works - even if it was just a basic test.  Thanks 404.

sorry i can't be of more help at the moment. I've only been playing with mame for a short time and just have it hooked up to my tv with a spare pc and a gamepad right now. When i can get something better, I'll be sure to help contribute to this project a little more.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 04:07:54 pm »
out of sheer boredom i put a minimus inside of a nes advantage stick i had laying around. The 2p toggle no longer worked (been so long, i have no idea if any part of the stick works any more). Everything works except for the turbo and slow-mo functions.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2012, 05:22:03 pm »
out of sheer boredom i put a minimus inside of a nes advantage stick i had laying around. The 2p toggle no longer worked (been so long, i have no idea if any part of the stick works any more). Everything works except for the turbo and slow-mo functions.
Awesome!  I love NES.  Anything i can do to help make them functions work? 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »

not sure how we could go about that. The turbo speed is controlled by two potentiometers. There is a set of push-toggle switches just above the main buttons that can be used to keep the turbo feature down without physically holding down a button. As for the slow-motion, I don't remember how that worked, probably was just a turbo'd start button.

At first when i had it wired up, I used the alt key for the B button, however, that generally brings up the windows file menu in most windows emulators.

Here's a quick vid that shows the advantage along with its layout and quick feature list.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 08:34:35 pm by 404 »

knohbody

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 31, 2019, 11:49:53 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2012, 09:17:19 pm »
not sure how we could go about that. The turbo speed is controlled by two potentiometers. There is a set of push-toggle switches just above the main buttons that can be used to keep the turbo feature down without physically holding down a button. As for the slow-motion, I don't remember how that worked, probably was just a turbo'd start button.
Is the minimus AVR based?
If it is, you could probably use some of the code from this project, and use the original controller lines to the minimus with little fuss.
http://raphnet.net/electronique/snes_nes_usb/index_en.php
That should keep the turbo and slo-mo intact. Would work with SNES as well.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2012, 11:00:31 pm »
Is the minimus AVR based?
If it is, you could probably use some of the code from this project, and use the original controller lines to the minimus with little fuss.
http://raphnet.net/electronique/snes_nes_usb/index_en.php
That should keep the turbo and slo-mo intact. Would work with SNES as well.

Yes, it is AVR based. There are two or three more projects doing nearly the same thing, including the one at http://www.mega-emu.com however, i wanted to keep the ability to continue to use this as a traditional nes stick use-able on a nes. Then again, it's been so long since i tested the controller that i don't even know if the first player toggle still works.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 08:02:51 pm »
...if I can reassign those awkward pins then we should be able to produce a more logical pinout.

I don't think it will be possible for me to reassign the HWB and RESET pins on the Minimus,  bah! 
There is a workaround though,  I can mount the minimus on some perfboard/veroboard and wire the pins of the screw terminals so that we get the logical order.  This would be a trivial task.  Also,  if I do this,  I can use cheaper and more common 5mm screw terminals.  These are also easier to connect to.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »
I don't think it will be possible for me to reassign the HWB and RESET pins on the Minimus,  bah!  
There is a workaround though,  I can mount the minimus on some perfboard/veroboard and wire the pins of the screw terminals so that we get the logical order.  This would be a trivial task.  Also,  if I do this,  I can use cheaper and more common 5mm screw terminals.  These are also easier to connect to.

Didn't mean to open a can of worms.  Maybe you can fit the universal admin functions onto 1, 2, 11, and 12.  That would give you 3-10 and 13-20 as logical groupings.

USB
                    +----+
                     |      |
                     |      |
               +--+     +--+
           10 |o             o| N/A (VCC)
             9 |o             o| 11
             8 |o             o| 12
             7 |o             o| N/A (Reset)
             6 |o             o| 13
             5 |o             o| 14
             4 |o             o| 15
             3 |o             o| 16
  (HWB)    |o             o| 17
             2 |o             o| 18
             1 |o             o| 19
        GND |o             o| 20
               +-----------+

Adding the perfboard and hand-wiring the 5mm terminals looks like it would drive up your effort and price point considerably, unless the .100 screw terminals are really that expensive.

Scott
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 09:01:07 pm by PL1 »

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 11:53:34 am »
I found a simple way to add order to the pins...

Currently, each side of pins is ordered the same when reading from left to right i.e. ooooooooxoox - where x is not available for key mapping

I had an idea to create 2 rows of pins named A and B, with each row having 10 input pins and 2 other pins.

I created some stickers for the screw terminals (printed on inkjet and stuck on with glue)

I took a picture of my AVR with the stickers added.  Sticker image is inset for reference.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 12:30:15 pm »
Well, off topic here but no soap on increased compatibility using various PS/2 mice and the Smart Joy adapter.  The ones that worked also worked with an active PS/2 -> USB cable. 

I was able to map mouse buttons to gamepad buttons when connecting via the smartjoy.  This may be of benefit to some.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »
2 player MAME looks more balanced with this new setup...

Pin | Description  | Key
   A 1 | P1 Coin      | 5    
   A 2 | P1 Start     | 1
   A 3 | P1 Right     | <Right Arrow>
   A 4 | P1 Left      | <Left Arrow>
   A 5 | P1 Up        | <Up Arrow>
   A 6 | P1 Down      | <Down Arrow>
   A 7 | P1 Button 1  | <L-Ctrl>
   A 8 | P1 Button 2  | <L-Alt>
   A 9 | P1 Button 3  | <Space>
   A10 | Select       | <Enter>
   B 1 | P2 Coin      | 6
   B 2 | P2 Start     | 2
   B 3 | P2 Right     | G
   B 4 | P2 Left      | D
   B 5 | P2 Up        | R
   B 6 | P2 Down      | F
   B 7 | P2 Button 1  | A
   B 8 | P2 Button 2  | S
   B 9 | P2 Button 3  | Q
   B10 | Cancel       | <Esc>

« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 12:58:25 pm by degenatrons »

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 16, 2023, 05:43:28 pm
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 02:37:44 pm »
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere - will you be posting source?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 04:09:55 pm »
I had an idea to create 2 rows of pins named A and B, with each row having 10 input pins and 2 other pins.

I created some stickers for the screw terminals (printed on inkjet and stuck on with glue)

I took a picture of my AVR with the stickers added.  Sticker image is inset for reference.

Looks sharp!

Can't wait to see how this pattern works across the various maps.
(Spreadsheet idea from earlier post.)

Scott

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2012, 04:58:30 pm »
Looks sharp!

Can't wait to see how this pattern works across the various maps.
(Spreadsheet idea from earlier post.)

Scott
Hey Scott,  I put up some info and a spreadsheet on my project site at https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder
Follow the resources link to see the sheet.

Thanks for your input on this.

Cheers

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
Thanks for your input on this.

Careful, Jon -- You might get more than you bargained for. ;D

Proposal for aligning Pinball map (Mode 4) with 1 Player Mame map (Mode 1):

Pinball (v2.0)
   Pin | Description    | Key
   A 1 | P1 Coin        | 5             
   A 2 | P1 Start       | 1         
   A 3 | P1 Right       | <Right Arrow>   
   A 4 | P1 Left         | <Left Arrow>   
   A 5 | P1 Up           | <Up Arrow>      
   A 6 | P1 Down       | <Down Arrow>   
   A 7 | L/Magnasave | <L-Ctrl>
   A 8 | R/Magnasave | <R-Ctrl>
   A 9 | Fwd/Nudge    | <Space>
   A10 | L/Flipper       | <L-Shift>   
   B 1 | L/Nudge        | Z         
   B 2 | R/Flipper       | <R-Shift>
   B 3 | R/Nudge       | /         
   B 4 | Test              | T  ***
   B 5 | Exit               | <Esc>
   B 6 | Plunger         | <Enter>
   B 7 | Backglass     | <Tab>         
   B 8 | Pause           | <Pause/Break>         
   B 9 | L/Up/Flipper | A
   B10| R/Up/Flipper | ‘

Notes:
Red = Change from current pinball keymap.

*** = To everyone: Is there another function/key needed more than this one?

Hardware question: For those who are worried about their cab looking like a Frankenpin, can someone wire the “L/Magnasave” and “L/Up/Flipper” terminals to the same microswitch in order to output both "<L-Ctrl>" and "A" with one button press, or will that cause problems?

Scott

EDIT: Yes you can connect two encoder inputs to one button as shown for left upper flipper/Magnasave while still allowing them to operate independently.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 05:12:37 pm by PL1 »

wussie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2012, 02:31:07 pm
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 01:16:26 am »
Wow, I had thought about using an AVR or an arduino to do this, it's great to see someone already doing the hard work for me!  Does that AVR support writing to the bootloader via USB?  Looks like it's an atmel as well, something I was looking into snagging to make a SNES cartridge reader I saw on hack-a-day.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 11:57:22 am »
Proposal for aligning Pinball map (Mode 4) with 1 Player Mame map (Mode 1):

Thanks for your thoughts on this.  I switched things about a little more to make ESC align across all modes.

You can see the updated spreadsheet at https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder/resources-for-usb-keyboard-encoder

I added a grey background to make it clear where key mappings align with another mode.  I don't think we can improve much on this.  2 Player MAME is not flexible when we have 3 buttons per player.  Generic is obviously difficult to align with - I aligned P with pause functions.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 01:21:54 pm »
Wow, I had thought about using an AVR or an arduino to do this, it's great to see someone already doing the hard work for me!  Does that AVR support writing to the bootloader via USB?  Looks like it's an atmel as well, something I was looking into snagging to make a SNES cartridge reader I saw on hack-a-day.
Yep,  you can write to bootloader via USB.  I use Atmel's Flip utility to upload flash and for EEPROM management.  Chip is ATMEL AT90USB162.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 04:34:43 pm »
   Pin | Description    | Key
   B 4 | Test              | T  ***
*** = To everyone: Is there another function/key needed more than this one?

I've been looking closer at the differences between Visual Pinball (VP) and Future Pinball (FP.)

I originally used the default keys for FP, since it was developed as a standardized spinoff after the VP community had mostly agreed on which keys to use.

One difference is the process used to exit a table:
FP - Esc - Exit the table and return to FE or editor.
VP - Esc - Pauses play and brings up a menu that lets you Resume , Debug or Quit to FE or editor. (The default is Resume.)

Would Quit - Q be a better choice than Test - T?

Scott

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 05:08:43 pm »

Scott
Ok, so to confirm,  in VP you need to press <Esc> followed by Q in order to quit.  If we don't add the Q then we can't exit out easily.

I see 2 options.
We can change the T to Q and have a general pinball mode.  The Q would have no use on FP.
We can have 2 pinball modes.  VP has the Q mapping.  This approach allows for other VP or FP specific mappings - if there are any.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:33 pm »

Scott
Ok, so to confirm,  in VP you need to press <Esc> followed by Q in order to quit.  If we don't add the Q then we can't exit out easily.

I see 2 options.
We can change the T to Q and have a general pinball mode.  The Q would have no use on FP.
We can have 2 pinball modes.  VP has the Q mapping.  This approach allows for other VP or FP specific mappings - if there are any.

I originally included Test before I even knew how many inputs were available.  I just don't see it being something that would get nearly as much use as a Quit, since I use Quit on every VP table, but have never used Test.

I forgot to mention that you could use the directional keys to switch between the VP pause/exit menu selections.  The down side to that is for someone that prefers VP tables and wants to build a small standalone controller.

It's definitely not worth making separate maps for VP and FP.

Scott

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2012, 09:40:30 am »
I replaced T with Q in the Pinball mappings and tidied up the spreadsheet a little.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #59 on: June 01, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »
Received 2 AVRs from 404 today.  He programmed and ops checked them before shipping them in a double-padded envelope.  Thanks for going above and beyond, 404.   :notworthy:

Haven't seen 404's thread in B/S/T yet . . . Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. . . but he still has some available for very reasonable prices -- PM him and support the people who support the forums.

I'm planning to use one for coin + start on a SW yoke standalone controller.

The other one is for a standalone pinball controller like the attached pic, but probably without the pause and tab buttons, and either a d-pad or a momentary-on/off/momentary-on rocker switch for up+down instead of a joystick.  This setup will navigate a FE and play any table in VP/FP that uses the standard keys.

Scott

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 11:45:18 am »
Hey PL1,  It's great to see that you are putting this device to good use and your controller layout looks pretty cool.

I have a stock of the AVR's and screw terminals,  so just drop me a message if you want an encoder making up.  I'm in UK. 
£6.50 + P&P without screw terminals
£9.00 + P&P with screw terminals and stickers
I will load and test the firmware. If you want a slightly different keyboard mapping then I am happy to adjust that too.

I am am working on adding a mode for USB HID joystick and PS3 controller.  After that I will take a look at the other consoles.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 11:48:49 am »
It's great to see people on here putting this device to good use :)

I have a stock of the AVR's and screw terminals,  so just drop me a message if you want an encoder making up.  I'm in UK. 
£6.50 + P&P without screw terminals
£9.00 + P&P with screw terminals and stickers
I will load and test the firmware. If you want a slightly different keyboard mapping then I am happy to adjust that too.

Next up, I am am working on adding a mode for USB HID joystick and PS3 controller.  After that I will take a look at the other consoles.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 02:33:16 pm »
I listed some on ebay to see if there is a market for these things.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
I listed some on ebay to see if there is a market for these things.

Here's that eBay link for those interested.

Like your seller name, Jon.  Hope you provide better service for your eBay customers than John Cleese got in that sketch.   :laugh2:

Scott

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2012, 04:21:18 am »
PM sent.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 10:47:14 am »
Hey,  thanks Scott.  I've been away so sorry for not getting back sooner.  I replied to PM.

Thanks for adding the listing,  I forgot to include that.  I will try to provide a better service than John Cleese :)

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #66 on: June 05, 2012, 01:05:16 pm »
So if I buy one of these from 404, I can use it to drive a trackball on my Xbox?  Would I yank ground and 5VDC off the PCB to power the encoder LEDs?

Nope,  these are not xbox compatible.  I have a different solution for that which is not AVR based (not yet anyway).  I should have a video or information out soon showing how that one works.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2012, 07:48:32 pm »
I created another post for my xbox controller interface at http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=120699.msg1280767#msg1280767

This supports 20 inputs for xbox plus mouse and trackball support (USB and PS/2) plus some other neat features.  It is a hack to an existing xbox keyboard adapter.  It is very cheap to make.

I will put out a video soon to demo this working and it will be going inside my xbox arcade cab.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2012, 07:49:57 pm »
source code?

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2012, 08:01:34 pm »
Hey ids,

I should have updated source available soon.  I first need to take a look at open sourcing it properly and am speaking to some peeps about that.  Will let you know.  Sorry,  i think i missed your earlier post.

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2012, 08:15:09 pm »
hey, np, open or no is your decision

The LUFA lib is always a start, but for custom projects it is always nice to start with known working code and tweak.  I have tried your binaries and it worked as advertised.  Many thanks for that!  Anything beyond that is just icing sugar and far from any requirement or expectation.

Thanks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2012, 03:00:39 pm »
got a strange point of sales system earlier this week that had windows 98. for grins i put the minimus onto it and win 98 recognized the device and it works great.

Degenatrons, No idea how far you are with HID mode but i did find some excellent code that has HID support along with ps3 WITH home button support. Porting this to the minimus would be awesome.
http://www.slashdev.ca/2010/05/25/ps3-gamepad-with-home-button/

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2012, 05:47:22 pm »
got a strange point of sales system earlier this week that had windows 98. for grins i put the minimus onto it and win 98 recognized the device and it works great.

Degenatrons, No idea how far you are with HID mode but i did find some excellent code that has HID support along with ps3 WITH home button support. Porting this to the minimus would be awesome.

Thanks for the info 404 :)

I got a bit distracted so no progress with the regular HID joystick mode.  I never considered the PS3 home button,  so this info should be a really useful reference, and will defo be checking it out.

Cheers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2012, 06:41:52 pm »

Thanks for the info 404 :)

I got a bit distracted so no progress with the regular HID joystick mode.  I never considered the PS3 home button,  so this info should be a really useful reference, and will defo be checking it out.

Cheers

ps3 mode is literally hid mode with a special bit for the home button. You can always simply implement this ps3 code here and it can serve a dual purpose.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2012, 06:40:46 am »
I have another DIY encoder for xbox.  I created a video to show how that device is made (hacked) and demo it working with some arcade controls.

I have a seperate thread for this in the consoles section.  If you're interested in that sort of thing.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2012, 09:10:30 am »
Legit LOL'd when i heard The Smiths bit track.  ;D

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 05:33:27 pm »
Legit LOL'd when i heard The Smiths bit track.  ;D

Super "Morrissey" Brothers.

Yeh, I love the 8 bit remixes,  really cool as the soundtrack for an arcade cab as familiar retro tunes.  I got lots of this stuff.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »
I release a new firmware (version 1.3) for the keyboard encoder.  You can grab the hex file from my resources page at:

I added an extended mapping for 2 player MAME which supports 6 buttons per player.  This is mode 3 so some other modes have shuffled along.

The extended mode provides support for more buttons by making use of key combinations that are not possible via the arcade controls (e.g. up+down) and there should be no conflicts.
This mode requires some tweaks to the MAME configuration and is described further at the bottom of resources page (above link).  You will also find an updated key mapping table on this page.

No support for HID joystick or PS3 yet.  I made some progress on that but it is not implemented.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2012, 05:31:35 pm »
awesome. I will go ahead and test this one out a little later and let you know how it goes. :)

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2012, 06:29:51 pm »
awesome. I will go ahead and test this one out a little later and let you know how it goes. :)

Thanks 404.

This is probably gonna change after some well thought out input from PL1.  I may disable extended modes by default so they don't confuse those who want a basic 1 to 1 mapping setup.  I was thinking about having an action to activate these extra modes by holding down HWB for 15 seconds or something.  The average user would not even need to know about the extended mode stuff and would never activate it.

The extended mode provides better support for 2 player modes so I think this adds something useful.   

macattack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2018, 05:35:16 pm
  • Cabinet builder to the stars!
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2012, 09:42:31 pm »
Nice job on this. I got mine and flashed it tonight  I am finding that the assignment differs from the graphic on your page.

For example it seems a1 is next to the gnd and continues up that side. B1 starts after bcc and travels down that side. Mappings are all correct to the grid it's just where it starts that seems to differ.
Pm me for custom cnc needs...

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2012, 09:43:16 pm »
I meant vcc not bcc damn correct text

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #82 on: June 16, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
Thanks for your consideration, Degenatron.

Based on your earlier post, here is a revised set list,  a question for everyone, and one additional map suggestion:

--Firmware Set Alpha: The primary "kitchen sink" set with 8 maps. Designed for people who just want to set one mode and don't need to switch maps during normal usage:
Map 1 - 1P-6Btn MAME
Map 2 - Only P2-6Btn MAME - Like Map 1, but with Player 2 defaults. Can be used in a standalone P2 controller or with a second board running Map 1 (or Firmware Set Bravo) for simple wiring in a 2 player panel.
Map 3 - 2P-3Btn MAME
Map 4 - 2P-6Btn MAME - The most common CP configuration that people choose.  Right now, I see two ways to approach this using just one board.  Which of these would you prefer?

The current map requires relatively complicated wiring (daisy-chaining the correct NO contacts on switches for the “impossible” presses, I believe) and re-mapping several keys in MAME.  Admin buttons not available outside MAME, since it uses a combination of keypresses to activate those functions.

2. Change the HWB input in this map to a "Function Shift" (FS) that activates the admin functions. i.e. FS + P1 Left = 5 (P1 Coin), FS + P1 Right = 1 (P1 Start), etc. There's room for 1 FS input + {2 x (4 directions + 6 buttons)} = 21 inputs.  – Easier to wire, but requires remembering the combinations to activate admin functions. Admin button functions available outside MAME. You would have to press the HWB button on the encoder board itself to change mode. This map may have to be a separate firmware set.

Map 5 - P3+P4 MAME – 1 pause input (reprogrammed HWB button) + {2 x (4 directions + 4 buttons + coin + start)} = 21 inputs.
Map 6 - Pinball
Map 7 - Generic (Alphabetic)
Map 8 - Generic (Numeric/hexadecimal/keypad keys/etc.)

--Firmware Set Bravo: 1 Player - 6 Btn. MAME/Pinball

--Firmware Set Charlie: 2 Player - 3 Btn. MAME/Pinball (Adjusted slightly to match)

--Firmware Sets Zed001, Zed002, etc.: Generic and/or custom maps made for specific programs or by request.

I proposed Bravo and Charlie for those who want their panel to switch from MAME to VP/FP maps with just one press of a "HWB" admin button.  This becomes important if they can’t see the blinking LED to know what mode it is in. (Picture trying to remember if you pressed the button 6 times or 7, and wondering whether all of them registered.)

Scott
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 01:22:21 pm by PL1 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2012, 09:51:47 am »
Don't have a problem with how the code is setup at all. the 2p configurations don't bother me. Don't play any pinball games either. I do agree that when the minimus is installed in a cab or enclosure, its going to be very hard to see what mode you are in.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2012, 11:26:59 am »
I do mostly pinball and a shift function within that mapping as I would cut down on the number of button needed. For example using an ipac, I usually program a combo of start and right flipper to emulate coin. Also start Enter to give me escape. Keeps a pin looking more realistic.

As for the led for mode, could you not simply connect another led off the back of the existing led connections that is visible behind the bezel?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »
could you not simply connect another led off the back of the existing led connections

This pic gives you an idea of just how tiny (.1") the surface mount LEDs at the bottom are compared to the standard USB connector at the top.

The only way that I can think to add an external LED is for Degenetron to reprogram one of the inputs to a LED output. (If that's possible. :dunno)

You could also just mount the board so that the LED shines through your bezel and all the wires go out the bottom of the board.

Scott
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:25:17 pm by PL1 »

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2012, 01:16:11 pm »
Would be interesting if they could be programmed to be output triggers then potentially they could drive a relay board and we have a cheap led wiz replacement also.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2012, 05:59:22 pm »

The only way that I can think to add an external LED is for Degenetron to reprogram one of the inputs to a LED output. (If that's possible. :dunno)

You could also just mount the board so that the LED shines through your bezel and all the wires go out the bottom of the board.

Scott
I can program any of the inputs to be an output.  I am doing this very thing for another project I am working on.  This output 5V can be used to drive LED's or other connected peripherals.

We would have to sacrifice a pin to power an external LED. 
Maybe we could have some modes that make use 1 or 2 outputs for LED's

I made a comment before about performing a hard switch of modes.  This is similar to what is being suggested by PL1 as separate firmwares.  I think it would be good to have a system to allow all the permutations on a single AVR.
To toggle between the groups (A, B, C) you would do a long press (10/15 seconds) of the HWB button.  To toggle within the groups,  you would press once.

A) standard (all direct input): MAME1P, MAME2P, GENERIC, PINBALL...
B) extended (with impossible presses): MAME1P, MAME2P...
C) leds (with outputs for led): MAME1P, MAME2P...

I have another suggestion which is a bit left field.  I think i can get this device to output audio.  I could output beeps, tones or samples.  The beeps and tones are easily done and would not use much memory.  The samples would have to be very short 8 bit (PCM).
So I could have the device play a few notes to indicate change of mode or change of group,  or it could (potential) speak the mode name or number.
Output would need to be amplified but you would probably have an amplifier in a cab anyhow.  This would need 1 pin.

I hope this all makes sense.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:47 pm »
Would be interesting if they could be programmed to be output triggers then potentially they could drive a relay board and we have a cheap led wiz replacement also.
Interesting.  I can use 20 pins for output.  I can program some sequences in the firware.  I am not familiar with led wiz.  If you can give me some idea of what you want the I will take a look at that.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2012, 11:40:06 am »
ledwiz can be used to program lighting sequences on its 32 ports. it can handle upto 500mah per output (not all at the same time as i understand it). We currently have some software written than interacts with pinmame to trigger off the rom events that are then controled via the ledwiz. The Led's or even contactors or relays that are switching high demand items (motors, etc). With this we have been able to replicated much of the hardware and lighting effects you get on a real pinball.

ledwiz home page
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=239

a big thread on the software etc is over on the hyperpin forum.
http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?10980-Tutorial-How-to-config-Ledwiz-PacDrive

many builds now, mine included have this force feedback installed, makes for a very interactive game.

If we could somehow call this device in replace of the ledwiz, again it would be cheap alternative, however I can't commment on its limitations or maybe even greater potential it has over the ledwiz to do this type of control or even just to mimic what the ledwiz does for led's. certinaly for lighting a control panel etc it would again be a cheaper alternative.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2012, 02:13:04 am »
I have two of these usb dev boards inbound so I can hopefully wrap up my Gauntlet.  Really appreciate all the work you've done so far and will likely be hitting you up once I get the minimi (minimuses?) in. 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: June 21, 2012, 12:39:54 pm »
^^ awesome, someone else on the minimus encoder bandwagon  ;D

GIZMOGAMES

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 28, 2019, 10:33:46 pm
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 12:55:55 pm »
ide love a couple of these set for xbox those parts you used are getting like rockinhorse doodoo to pick up tho i cant find them anywhere for relatively cheep :S
 keep up the great work tho :)  :cheers: :cheers:

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2012, 01:07:01 pm »
^^ awesome, someone else on the minimus encoder bandwagon  ;D

If you're keeping count, I have four of them as well.  One has degenatrons binaries on it and is working as anticipated.

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:59 pm »
I am now the proud owner of 10 units for all these projects I have around here. Will try and soak test one this weekend. Stunning job on this.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2012, 05:13:52 pm »
Thanks for testing these out in your cab projects.   Let me know how it goes.

Here's a useful guide to loading firmware on the minimus if you're a first timer: http://www.minimususb.com/minimus_v14.pdf

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: June 25, 2012, 08:55:38 pm »
Boards came in today.  Got FLIP installed, drivers installed, and loaded up Denegatron's hex no issues.  Works great and is readily id'd by windows.

I'm planning on using these to interface with my Caanoo in MAME4All.   

-- the following is a thread-jack and can be ignored unless you are curious and/or have made any progress towards HID joystick mapping on these boards --
[threadjack]
The caanoo doesn't handle peripheral recognition globally so it is up to each ap dev to port it in as they see fit.  MAME4All doesn't recognize keyboards so doesn't recognize the current mappings.  Also it doesn't recognize multiple controllers on one device, so the Xin-Mo boards only will register the P1 inputs and my gpWiz40 is in the same boat.  MAME4All will recognize multiple devices via USB hub, not sure how this looks any different than what's coming through Xin-Mo boards but that's that.  Endstate is that I need to crack the nut on a simple 7 input (four directions and three buttons) HID controller mapping for these boards.  Then I can use 3 or 4 or them to make my nut.  I am slowing trying to figure out how to do this by prowling the LUFA forums but I am by no means a programmer or even wannabe so we'll see how I fair.  Anytime somebody wants to sweep in to the rescue is fine by me.  Oh, and if you're wondering why I don't hack 3 pads it's because I don't have room for those bulky-ass boards in my build.
[/threadjack]

Denegatron, your pinout on your website doesn't match either of the three shown on this thread.  No issue, just sayin.   :)  Thank you very much for your awesome site as it has been immensely helpful already. 

Anybody looking to get one of these minimus AVRs for themselves please go buy out 404.  Once he's bingo you can get yours where I got mine (sorry I don't like shipping costs from England to US) http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/minimus-avr-usb-32k-instock-p-402.html

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: June 25, 2012, 09:59:22 pm »
Denegatron, 404 - just ran across this: https://bitbucket.org/sigio/revmame-hid-joystick/src

USB HID joystick driver based on AT90USB162 board.  Seems like that is right up our alley.  That said I have no idea what to do with the listed makefile but it's got a little picture of the minimus beside it.  Is this helpful at all? 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: June 26, 2012, 10:02:01 am »
Boards came in today.  Got FLIP installed, drivers installed, and loaded up Denegatron's hex no issues.  Works great and is readily id'd by windows.

I'm planning on using these to interface with my Caanoo in MAME4All.   

-- the following is a thread-jack and can be ignored unless you are curious and/or have made any progress towards HID joystick mapping on these boards --
[threadjack]
The caanoo doesn't handle peripheral recognition globally so it is up to each ap dev to port it in as they see fit.  MAME4All doesn't recognize keyboards so doesn't recognize the current mappings.  Also it doesn't recognize multiple controllers on one device, so the Xin-Mo boards only will register the P1 inputs and my gpWiz40 is in the same boat.  MAME4All will recognize multiple devices via USB hub, not sure how this looks any different than what's coming through Xin-Mo boards but that's that.  Endstate is that I need to crack the nut on a simple 7 input (four directions and three buttons) HID controller mapping for these boards.  Then I can use 3 or 4 or them to make my nut.  I am slowing trying to figure out how to do this by prowling the LUFA forums but I am by no means a programmer or even wannabe so we'll see how I fair.  Anytime somebody wants to sweep in to the rescue is fine by me.  Oh, and if you're wondering why I don't hack 3 pads it's because I don't have room for those bulky-ass boards in my build.
[/threadjack]

Denegatron, your pinout on your website doesn't match either of the three shown on this thread.  No issue, just sayin.   :)  Thank you very much for your awesome site as it has been immensely helpful already. 

Anybody looking to get one of these minimus AVRs for themselves please go buy out 404.  Once he's bingo you can get yours where I got mine (sorry I don't like shipping costs from England to US) http://www.foundmy.com/oscom/minimus-avr-usb-32k-instock-p-402.html    

I know the owner of foundmy. We go back some time. I can tell you that he has limited stock left of minimus units. I also happen to know the Xecuter guys that worked on the minimus. Whatever stock you see out there in the wild is the absolute last stock anywhere. Get them while you still can.

As for your issue here. There are a few solutions.

Most people refer to Jamie Lentin's code as the base for most of their USB HID joystick work.
http://jamie.lentin.co.uk/embedded/arcade-joystick/

I did speak to Jamie and he is very helpful. I'm not a great coder and I too am a total AVR N00b. He was gracious enough to offer me his hex and unfortunately, it didn't work for me. Also, i tinkered a bit with his source code and couldn't get it to properly adapt to the minimus 16 units. It could have been the fact that i am still a bit more worried about getting a cabinet for my project so i didn't tinker with the code that much. If you happened to have gotten a batch of minimus32 units, i can send you his hex. Use it at your own risk.

The revmame project is incomplete. I believe i spoke to the developer when i first found the code and he is still working on his mame cab and right now has a set of usb controllers running on the cab. He said he would let me know when the source is done.

The guy over at slashdev, who wrote the complete ps3 code hex may be able to help you. You can tell him your situation and ask him to compile the code to work on the minimus.

Or, you can just wait for degenatrons to finish his project. :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: June 26, 2012, 04:07:36 pm »
404,  good info thanks.  I tried a PS3 hex I found on another site.  It recognizes fine in window but won't register button presses so something seems to be wrong.  I'll keep plugging away at it. 

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #100 on: June 26, 2012, 04:30:53 pm »
Denegatron, 404 - just ran across this: https://bitbucket.org/sigio/revmame-hid-joystick/src

USB HID joystick driver based on AT90USB162 board.  Seems like that is right up our alley.  That said I have no idea what to do with the listed makefile but it's got a little picture of the minimus beside it.  Is this helpful at all? 

Hey Le Chuck,  I took a look at this before, along with some other clones of the grunskis/PJRC joystick. This does not use Windows HID device drivers and is therefore not plug and play on Windows.  It needs an .inf file and driver software from libusb library.  It should work fine on Mac and Linux.
If you want to get it working using on Windows using libusb then you can get it from http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusb-win32/wiki .

I built a basic HID joystick based on the examples from the LUFA library - Jamie Lentin also did something along the same lines.  I would like to add more buttons and a 2 player setup.
At some point I will pick this up and look to incorporate a HID joystick mode in my encoder.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: June 26, 2012, 05:01:21 pm »

Hey Le Chuck,  I took a look at this before, along with some other clones of the grunskis/PJRC joystick. This does not use Windows HID device drivers and is therefore not plug and play on Windows.  It needs an .inf file and driver software from libusb library.  It should work fine on Mac and Linux.
If you want to get it working using on Windows using libusb then you can get it from http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/libusb-win32/wiki .

I built a basic HID joystick based on the examples from the LUFA library - Jamie Lentin also did something along the same lines.  I would like to add more buttons and a 2 player setup.
At some point I will pick this up and look to incorporate a HID joystick mode in my encoder.

Thanks, like I said I don't know exactly what I'm looking at IR to this stuff so I'm glad you and 404 are here to help set me straight.  If you care to share your hex I don't need anything fancy, just four directions and two or three buttons would be great but I'll take what you have for testing porpoises. 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:16 pm »
404,  good info thanks.  I tried a PS3 hex I found on another site.  It recognizes fine in window but won't register button presses so something seems to be wrong.  I'll keep plugging away at it. 

XIM? lol

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2012, 06:53:17 pm »
Here is the last known working build of Jamie Lentin's HID joystick encoder. Again, this was built for the Minimus 32 ATMEGA32U2 as opposed to the minimus16 which uses the AT90USB162 chip. The two chips, at least in spec should be cross compatible. In this case, the code used is not. I just tested it on yet another minimus16k and got zero response from grounding any of the ports, just like Jamie's build he sent me. Use at your own risk.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »

XIM? lol

maybe  ::)

Here is the last known working build of Jamie Lentin's HID joystick encoder. Again, this was built for the Minimus 32 ATMEGA32U2 as opposed to the minimus16 which uses the AT90USB162 chip. The two chips, at least in spec should be cross compatible. In this case, the code used is not. I just tested it on yet another minimus16k and got zero response from grounding any of the ports, just like Jamie's build he sent me. Use at your own risk.

I'll give it a whirl but if it didn't work for you I don't see how I'll be any different.  Thanks tho. 

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »

XIM? lol

maybe  ::)

I'll give it a whirl but if it didn't work for you I don't see how I'll be any different.  Thanks tho. 

figured i would put it up considering so many people are asking for HID code. If you cannot manage to get the slashdev developer to do it and you are in a rush to get this done, you can always take a chance and get yourself a minimus32.

I can personally do without the HID code in Degenatron's work. However, IMO having ps3/HID mode would put this project on par with more commercial projects like the dual strike. Imagine a sub 10 USD alternative to an approximately 40USD dollar piece of hardware that requires no assembly and a few mouse clicks to flash.

I do know someone that has some AVR experience and I had a batch of minimus mods sent over to him.  His initial plans were to port as much of the dual strike code over to use on the cheaper AT9 series chips. He has kept up with Degenatron's work and is now having second thoughts as it's quite redundant to have two projects with similar goals. Who knows if and/or when he actually plans on starting. Can't say i blame him if he never gets the project off of the ground.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:17 pm »
figured i would put it up considering so many people are asking for HID code. If you cannot manage to get the slashdev developer to do it and you are in a rush to get this done, you can always take a chance and get yourself a minimus32.

I can personally do without the HID code in Degenatron's work. However, IMO having ps3/HID mode would put this project on par with more commercial projects like the dual strike. Imagine a sub 10 USD alternative to an approximately 40USD dollar piece of hardware that requires no assembly and a few mouse clicks to flash.

I do know someone that has some AVR experience and I had a batch of minimus mods sent over to him.  His initial plans were to port as much of the dual strike code over to use on the cheaper AT9 series chips. He has kept up with Degenatron's work and is now having second thoughts as it's quite redundant to have two projects with similar goals. Who knows if and/or when he actually plans on starting. Can't say i blame him if he never gets the project off of the ground.

Yeah, no dice.  It comes up but won't register.  Having the HID option would make my life easier.  Save me from buying and hacking a bunch of cheapo controllers.  I'm not in a huge hurry but I would eventually like to put my current mini to bed as it's been dragging out a bit now.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2012, 08:21:30 pm »

Yeah, no dice.  It comes up but won't register.  Having the HID option would make my life easier.  Save me from buying and hacking a bunch of cheapo controllers.  I'm not in a huge hurry but I would eventually like to put my current mini to bed as it's been dragging out a bit now.

Yeah, i hear ya. I may see what the slashdev guy is up to lately as he has not updated the site in a while. If he is up to porting his code to the minimus, I'll mail him or have the foundmy owner send him a sample to work with. Considering he hasn't posted in a while, i wouldn't exactly hold my breath on that.

Look on the bright side, your cab and most of the electronics are done. I'm no wood worker. My last attempt at a cab came out pretty horrific.  ;D

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #108 on: June 27, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »
The attached PDF gives you an idea of the key mappings I will be including in the next version.  A lot of credit goes to PL1 for his input and suggestions.

This will be a significantly more capable device - with some interesting interactive options.

To add some order to the many modes I have added groups.  There will be at least 4 groups.  These groups will contain up to 5 different modes each.

Group A - Direct Wired Maps (1P MAME, 2P MAME, 1P and 2P MAME, 3P and 4P MAME, 1P Pinball)
Group B - Special Maps (Alphatebic, Hexadecimal, MAME extended/impossible)
Group C - Direct Wired Maps with External LED (Similar to group A with external LED)
Group D - Direct Wired Maps with External Sound (Similar to group A with external sound)

To toggle groups, a long press of the HWB button is required - hold down for 2 or more seconds.
To toggle modes, a short press is required.

The LED's on the minimus will flash to indicate the group and mode when you make a change,  or when it powers up.
Number of blue flashes = group number
Number of red flashes = mode number

I have added some interactive groups to support external LED and external Speaker (or buzzer).
When an LED mode is active it will send flashes to pin B10 (to identify mode only).  If you connect up an external LED it can be mounted on a control panel.  It could also be used in combination with a wired up HWB button,  if a translucent LED button is used.

When a speaker mode is active,  it will send sound to pin B10.  You can connect an 8ohm speaker or a piezo buzzer (like you get in door chimes) or you can connect to the amp in your cabinet.  The speaker will echo the group and mode by playing low and high tones.  Actually,  my plan was to use sampled sound but that is proving a little difficult,  but i will persist.

I hope to have this update out soon and it will hopefully get feedback and continue to develop.
PL1 - this release will not include all the mappings we have been discussing but it is a start and I want to get a stable release out so I can get feedback.  I can push out updates and changes.

We don't have HID joystick mode yet,  but seems this would be a useful addition.  I will be taking another look at that when this lot is stable.

Any feedback, good and bad, on these developments is appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 02:34:37 pm by degenatrons »

macattack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #109 on: June 27, 2012, 07:58:36 pm »
Incredible work, thanks.

Installed one in my space invaders today. Works a charm.
Just need to find some decent USB extension cables.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2012, 08:17:47 pm »
Looking forward to it. just to happens i have a buzzer pulled from a dead motherboard here sitting right on my desk.  ;D

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #111 on: June 28, 2012, 07:11:24 pm »
I have an update for the encoder with some neat new stuff.

There are multiple groups and each group has a series of modes.  I made some tweaks to the groups,  so we now have:

A: Direct Wired Maps (7 different modes)
B: Extended Maps for MAME (making use of impossible combinations to support 2 players with 6 buttons each)
C: Hotswap between MAME and Pinball
D: Hotswap between MAME and Generic (mainly for multiple console support)
E: Modes (as per A) with a dedicated pin for external LED and/or Speaker/Buzzer on B10 pin.
F: A slot for custom/user requested modes.  This will be empty.  If you connect a speaker it will play a short tune/demo when in this mode.

You can see all the groups and modes in the attached key mapping PDF.  This PDF is intended as a quick reference card.
Thanks again to PL1 for continued input and advice on the mappings.

To switch groups use a long press > 2 seconds
To switch modes within a group use a short press.
The onboard leds will echo the group/mode.

The most common modes are in group 1.  To keep it easy to setup for normal use.

The firmware (hex v1.4) is attached.

I tested this out and it seems to work ok.
404 - Would be great if you could test with that buzzer.  You need to get to group E and F to get output on B10 pin. 
The output on B10 is good for speakers (about 8 ohm), buzzers and LEDs.

Cheers

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: June 28, 2012, 09:41:18 pm »
ill test out the buzzer and led functionality as soon as i can wrap my brain around all of the new modes you added.  ;D

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #113 on: July 02, 2012, 04:36:43 pm »
I tidied up some stuff and put out a big update on my resources page at https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder/resources

For basic use,  you don't need to concern yourself with all the flashy stuff.  The encoder will default to Group A and this has 7 modes which can be toggled using the HWB pin.  Refer to my resources page for a basic reference to Group A mappings.

There are many advanced groups.  A full mapping table is available for these.
I consolidated the LED and sound output into a single group so it doesnt matter if you connect a speaker, buzzer or an LED to pin B10.  Whatever it is will buzz or flash.

The latest firmware (v1.4.1) and docs are attached as zip file.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: July 02, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
been quite busy so haven't been able to test anything yet. I can't seem to catch up with you degenatrons!  :)

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #115 on: July 03, 2012, 01:06:31 pm »
been quite busy so haven't been able to test anything yet. I can't seem to catch up with you degenatrons!  :)

No worries.  No rush.  Thanks for helping out.

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2012, 11:51:25 am »
I'm probably doing something wrong as i still dont understand all of these groups. I tried a few times now and can't get it to switch over to the last group to get an LED or buzzer to work. :(

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »
I'm probably doing something wrong as i still dont understand all of these groups. I tried a few times now and can't get it to switch over to the last group to get an LED or buzzer to work. :(

Hey thanks for looking at this. 

Just to be sure you have the latest firmware and keymappings,  you can get v1.4.1 at
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxkZWdlbmF0cm9uc3xneDoxYWJiM2FmODcxMWU1MTY0

After firmware is loaded,  you can switch groups with a long press of the HWB button.  The LED's and sound are in group F so you need to do a few long presses to set this group.  After you change groups the onboard LEDs should flash to give you indication.

The 1st LED flashes the number of the active group,  then the 2nd LED flashes the number of the active mode.

Maybe if this is too complicated I may have to simplify.
PL1 has suggested having different firmwares instead of groups.

I hope this all makes sense.  Let me know if you need some more info.

Cheers

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:02 pm »
It did not take long to assemble a fleet of encoders

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: July 08, 2012, 03:15:31 pm »
It did not take long to assemble a fleet of encoders

you sunk my battleship  ;D

• Offline Offline
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »

Hey thanks for looking at this. 

Just to be sure you have the latest firmware and keymappings,  you can get v1.4.1 at
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxkZWdlbmF0cm9uc3xneDoxYWJiM2FmODcxMWU1MTY0

After firmware is loaded,  you can switch groups with a long press of the HWB button.  The LED's and sound are in group F so you need to do a few long presses to set this group.  After you change groups the onboard LEDs should flash to give you indication.

The 1st LED flashes the number of the active group,  then the 2nd LED flashes the number of the active mode.

Maybe if this is too complicated I may have to simplify.
PL1 has suggested having different firmwares instead of groups.

I hope this all makes sense.  Let me know if you need some more info.

Cheers

yes, i have your latest firmware. downloaded a fresh package today just to be sure. No matter what i do, i cannot get it to work. Tried about five or six times already. I'm not too worried . I just wanted to check it out, i only used the basic first mode and have no plans on using any of the other modes.  :)

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2012, 03:40:04 pm »
404, that's a little odd, if it works on my AVR devices.  All I can think is that you may have some eeprom in the avr from some other program.  You could try erasing the eeprom memory.

Does it flash to acknowledge group 1, mode 1 when you plug it in?

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:46:25 pm by degenatrons »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2012, 05:04:04 pm »
i erased it and tried again. i think i managed to get it into that mode but still got nothing from the buzzer or the led. if i feed them into vcc, they work fine.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2012, 04:54:48 pm »
i erased it and tried again. i think i managed to get it into that mode but still got nothing from the buzzer or the led. if i feed them into vcc, they work fine.
ok, I figured out the problem and can't believe I never noticed it before :-[ ... The pins on my AVR did not match my pinout.  I had B1 acting like B10  :banghead:.  I fixed this now so sound should come out of B10.

B10 is the pin next to the VCC (+5V). 

I updated the firmware (v1.5) at https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder/resources

Painful

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: July 09, 2012, 06:32:19 pm »
just gave it a shot. still cant get any lights or buzzer to buzz. i also get random inputs triggered.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2012, 03:36:38 am »
just gave it a shot. still cant get any lights or buzzer to buzz. i also get random inputs triggered.
I just went right through all the modes and tested everything as working.  No issue found with v1.5 firmware.  I can't explain why you have random inputs 404.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2012, 03:52:44 am »
Just a thought.  If you have buzzer connected to pin B10 and you are not in group F (6 blue flashes) then you will probably get input from B10 as you are bridging the pins.  This is to be expected.

DLinkOZ

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2017, 08:12:46 am
    • The DaveCade
« Reply #127 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:37 pm »
This is an excellent project!  Quick note that I'm building my first proper mame cabinet, and just ordered this board.  Love doing it myself whenever possible :)

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #128 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:03 am »
This is an excellent project!  Quick note that I'm building my first proper mame cabinet, and just ordered this board.  Love doing it myself whenever possible :)
Great.  If you have any specific requirements I can build a custom a custom firmware for you.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2012, 03:42:33 am »
Hey 404,  I fixed this.  I found that this happened after switching from group F back to group A.  The B10 pin did not get entirely reset and was still processing sound.  Now Resolved.
This probably would not have been spotted without your input.  :cheers:

v1.5 is stable now.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #130 on: July 13, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »
I was thinking about adding a couple of extra features to my encoder and would be interested in feedback...

Joystick swapping:  To swap the joystick mappings between player 1 and player 2.  
When playing single player games on a 2 player cab,  I often prefer to use player 2's joystick.  This positions me in the middle because I'm right handed.  Stuff like pacman plays better for me like this.  I would have a simple swap action to swap the stick mappings.

2-4-8 way joystick switching:  I may be able to emulate 2 and 4 way joystick in software.  I would have a swap action to switch between 3 settings.  

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:10:35 pm by degenatrons »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #131 on: July 13, 2012, 03:30:37 pm »
Joystick swapping:  To swap the joystick mappings between player 1 and player 2. 
When playing single player games on a 2 player cab,  I often prefer to use player 2's joystick.  This positions me in the middle because I'm right handed.  Stuff like pacman plays better for me like this.  I would have a simple swap action to swap the stick mappings.

Seems like overkill since you can just remap joysticks in MAME for games that you prefer to play this way instead of having to press HWB to set the Mode then press HWB again to change back.

The variety of Groups + Modes that are in use now are already a little overwhelming.

2-4-8 way joystick switching:  I may be able to emulate 2 and 4 way joystick in software.  I would have a swap action to switch between 3 settings. 

2-way software restriction isn't worth the effort IMHO.

What would be AWESOME is if there was a way to combine these three ideas:

1. Your idea of 4-way software restriction with the AVR.

2. DaOldMan's Control Choose or JoyChoose - Use to call a batch file that sets software restriction mode on AVR.

3. Tron 4/8-way autoswitching (see this thread) - This already works with JoyChoose

Hmm. . . AVR Encoder + Import Flight Stick + mouse hack spinner = inexpensive TRON standalone controller.  No more FrankenPanel temptation!!   :woot

Scott

Edit:  Another idea based on DaOldMan's ControlChoose announcement.

This is a new plugin for Mala that could be called the next version of JoyChoose.
ControlChoose controls more than the joystick, so this is a big step up from JoyChoose.
. . .
Here is an example:
. . .
If Emulator = Mame Then Run (your program to do whatever you want when mame is selected.)

If you can use a batch file to set AVR Modes instead of using the HWB, you can use MaLa for automated seamless Mode switching between MAME, Pinball (VP/FP), and Generic Alphabetic/Hexadecimal (other emulators).

My only concern is if you have several AVRs connected at once, such as a 4-Player setup using one AVR for players 1 + 2 and another for players 3+4.  With this setup, you'd need some way to set an AVR ID# so you can switch them independently.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 04:25:12 pm by PL1 »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2012, 04:35:29 pm »
its your project. I say you do what you want with it. :)

i will test out the latest code when i get home.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #133 on: July 15, 2012, 02:17:52 pm »
Thanks for the feedback.  I won't bother adding those new features.  I agree that it will add complexity and is probably overkill when you can achieve same in emulator config.  I will just let things settle down a little.

PL1 - Interesting idea to control the AVR from the host.  This is something I may pursue.   This is good for switching modes from the frontend and could maybe be used to configure your own mappings via a simple user interface.
Each device has a unique ID assigned so it would be simple to differentitate between multiple connected devices.

terrible1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2012, 09:12:00 am
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2012, 12:08:33 pm »
ive been looking into the icade for ipad controller and it seems its just a keyboard. what i would like to do is plug this into the ipad and use with with the icade games. from what i can find out it sends a character on a key press and different one when the key is released.  you can get these keys from here: http://www.ionaudio.com/downloads/iCade_Dev_Resource_v1.3.pdf  is there source code for this project available id like to modify it to add this feature. this is all assuming this actually lists its self as a standard HID compliant keyboard?   :cheers:

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #135 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29:50 am »
ive been looking into the icade for ipad controller and it seems its just a keyboard. what i would like to do is plug this into the ipad and use with with the icade games. from what i can find out it sends a character on a key press and different one when the key is released.  you can get these keys from here: http://www.ionaudio.com/downloads/iCade_Dev_Resource_v1.3.pdf  is there source code for this project available id like to modify it to add this feature. this is all assuming this actually lists its self as a standard HID compliant keyboard?   :cheers:
Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The spec looks quite simple to implement and would be a variant of the this encoder firmware.  The complication arises with the way the device is connected to the iPad.  From what I understand,  the iCade interface has to connect via BlueTooth. 
This is not a showstopper because there are BT modules that can be bolted on.  It will require some changes to the hardware though.  I will be taking a look.  Would you be happy to test this out if I can get it working?

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2012, 06:33:28 pm »
Were you going to post source code?  Sorry if I missed it.

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2012, 07:16:25 pm »
This project has advanced, please look at link

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,122023.0.html

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2012, 07:34:56 pm »
so....no source then?  Been waiting for some time, but if you want to hold back, that's fine

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: October 22, 2012, 08:00:40 pm »
I think he stopped coding for this model.  You might just PM him or send an email and see what he says..

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #140 on: October 22, 2012, 08:09:21 pm »
IDK about the source code, but the firmware update for programming the board is located here.

Degenatron's been pretty focused on the KADE project which rolls in this project with the ability to easily customize your own keymaps or select from a wide range of presets.

Scott

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #141 on: October 22, 2012, 08:13:27 pm »
Thanks all.

My needs extend beyond MAME and consoles and I have waited a while for the promised source code to make use of this.

Such is life.  I will seek other sources since the OP has bailed.

thx

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #142 on: October 22, 2012, 09:18:16 pm »
Send him a PM or an email...

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2012, 05:08:17 am »
Thanks all.

My needs extend beyond MAME and consoles and I have waited a while for the promised source code to make use of this.

Such is life.  I will seek other sources since the OP has bailed.

thx
Hey ids,

It was always my intention to post source on completion of the project - or when the development had stabilised.  The development has taken a sideways step and has grown into something bigger.  This will be an open source project and I will post details here so you know were to find sources when it is released. 

In the meantime,  let me know if there is anything I can help out with.  Interested to here what you have planned.  Can send me a PM if you want to discuss.

Jon

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »
USB Keyboard Encoder has now become part of the KADE project. 

Please refer to this thread.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,128745.msg1316035.html#msg1316035

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread.

terrible1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2012, 08:41:40 am »
Thanks for your post and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

The spec looks quite simple to implement and would be a variant of the this encoder firmware.  The complication arises with the way the device is connected to the iPad.  From what I understand,  the iCade interface has to connect via BlueTooth. 
This is not a showstopper because there are BT modules that can be bolted on.  It will require some changes to the hardware though.  I will be taking a look.  Would you be happy to test this out if I can get it working?

Wow sorry it look forever to reply i didnt get a email to say someone had responded. ANYWAY

the Icade is from what i can tell a bluetooth keyboard. And i dont think the ipad cares if its bluetooth OR indeed a usb keyboard.  From what ive found out all you need to do is get a camera connection kit (which i have) and then emulate a keyboard with the correct key commands.  This i guess would mean you could create a custom iCade.  The only limiting factor is that the games are i guess hard coded to use certain buttons for certain actions but im going to guess these are all fairly generic.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2012, 11:09:20 am »
Quote from: terrible1
Wow sorry it look forever to reply i didnt get a email to say someone had responded. ANYWAY

the Icade is from what i can tell a bluetooth keyboard. And i dont think the ipad cares if its bluetooth OR indeed a usb keyboard.  From what ive found out all you need to do is get a camera connection kit (which i have) and then emulate a keyboard with the correct key commands.  This i guess would mean you could create a custom iCade.  The only limiting factor is that the games are i guess hard coded to use certain buttons for certain actions but im going to guess these are all fairly generic.

Hey,  no worries.  This is really interesting what you are saying about the connection kit.  Can you post some more info on that?  or PM me the details. 
If you check out the link to the KADE project (above) you will see that we now have an encoder that supports multiple systems and it would be great to add iCade support via USB.
I should be able to implement the key input commands by referring to the spec. you previously sent.  Only thing is connecting to iCade.  USB cable would be cool if it works.
Cheers.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2012, 12:08:34 pm »
Quote from: terrible1
From what ive found out all you need to do is get a camera connection kit (which i have)...

Found this camera kit with USB plug.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-in-1-Camera-Connection-Kit-Card-Reader-Adapter-USB-SD-TF-MS-MMC-fr-iPad-1-2-3-/170796721513

terrible1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2012, 08:26:42 am »
so check this link out http://biosrhythm.com/?p=933  it shows an arduino as a usb keyboard plugged into the camera kit working with icade games.  Of course this would be fairly simple but the board you use would be significantly cheaper.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2012, 08:57:30 am »
Cool.  I can get this up and running pretty quick.  I just need to adapt our USB keyboard firmware to use the crazy iCade inputs.

Would you be happy to test this for me if I send you the firmware?
I think you already have minimus AVR,  right?

We ordered a  camera adaptor for testing ourselves too ;)

Thanks

terrible1

• Offline Offline
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2012, 09:12:01 am »
i don't actually have a minimus AVR at present but would be more then willing to test this out if I can get hold of one? I have a couple control panels I can wire up to it to test though

gazz292

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2022, 12:00:01 pm
« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2012, 08:31:02 pm »
Please please please, pretty pretty please with cherry's on top, can you share the source code for this,

i bought my minimus board specifically for this proggy you wrote,
but i am not using it on a mame machine (i use a U-hid on my mame cabinet)

I want to use it on my bus simulator, as it'll be ideal for the inputs from my money changer and ticket machine, i use a joystick board for all other inputs, but i specifically need to send key strokes for these items, as i need to utilise the shift key along with some of the inputs.

If you can't share the source code, much as i'd love to have a look at it and figure this board out, change the bits i need then flash my board and use it, could you make me a custom version of the code as follows?

USB
                        +----+
                        |      |
                        |      |
                   +--+     +--+
 SHIFT:        |o             o| N/A (VCC)
 Numpad 0: |o             o| 11: Numpad .
 Numpad 1: |o             o| 12: Numpad ,
 Numpad 3: |o             o| N/A (Reset)
 Numpad 4: |o             o| 13: Numpad ENTER
 Numpad 5: |o             o| 14: Numpad +
 Numpad 6: |o             o| 15: Numpad -
 Numpad 7: |o             o| 16: Numpad /
  (HWB)       |o             o| 17: Numpad *
 Numpad 8: |o             o| 18: #
 Numpad 9: |o             o| 19: '
           GND |o             o| 20: ;
                    +-----------+

Regards,

Gazz

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #152 on: December 19, 2012, 09:01:07 pm »
Bus simulator sounds cool.  Please post some pics of that.

I'll make up a custom firmware for the mappings you posted and upload it tomorrow.  It's way past my bedtime right now.

KADE will be open source hardware and software when it is released in the new year.  We will post information on where you can access the sources so folks like you can adapt it and hopefully contribute to the project.

Tickets please.

Jon

gazz292

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: December 19, 2012, 09:27:39 pm »
Video of me driving my sim, which is of course Omsi, der omnibus simulator, based in Spandau, Berlin.

I've since been to berlin and ridden that bus route, and will do an update video soon, but the sim has got the roads and surrounding areas spot on,

Thanks very much for doing a custom keymap for me,

i just wish i could figure out this bloomin board, i've played about with an arduino, got that working as the output board from the computer to the instruments and lights on the dashboard, but for some reason i am struggeling to make any progress with writing anything for the minimus.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #154 on: December 20, 2012, 05:56:49 am »
Thanks for posting the video.   That's a totally cool setup you have.
Can I suggest you add a scenario for keeping the speed above 50mph at all times to prevent the bus from exploding.  :D

I 've attached your custom key map.

Jon

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #155 on: December 20, 2012, 11:10:15 am »
Please please please, pretty pretty please with cherry's on top, can you share the source code for this,

If you google enough, you will find source code out there.  That's what I ended up doing.  Still scratching my head over this secret "open source" idea  :dunno , but at least I now have sources to work with.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #156 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
If you google enough, you will find source code out there.  That's what I ended up doing.  Still scratching my head over this secret "open source" idea  :dunno , but at least I now have sources to work with.
There's no secret to it.  KADE will be open source when it is released.  We talk about this stuff on our Kickstarter Project

At the moment,  the software is not stable for general release and is being BETA tested. 
I'm not purposely trying to hide anything,  sorry if it comes across that way.

In the meantime,  I'm happy to assist folks with custom mappings,  if the stuff I already make available on my project site is not suitable for their needs: https://sites.google.com/site/degenatrons/controller-interfaces/usb-keyboard-encoder

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2012, 02:56:22 pm »
The point of some requests for code is to avoid the difficulty in creating the USB structures required and other challenges when faced with a new piece of hardware such as this.  I don't think everyone is looking for polished, debugged code, just a head-start on whatever project they might have in mind.  A very long time ago you promised code and continue to do so, with no real reason for the delay.  Please forgive, but one can only wonder what there is to hide?

In any case, when I get back to my other computer, I will post all code links I've found to date to help those who want to play with code and not wait forever.

Open source means open.  If you need help "stabilizing" (or whatever), why not open it up for others to help with?  That's the real beauty of open-source - it's openness and the availability of others to improve it.

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2023, 12:43:42 pm
    • KADE
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »
A very long time ago you promised code and continue to do so, with no real reason for the delay.  Please forgive, but one can only wonder what there is to hide?

In any case, when I get back to my other computer, I will post all code links I've found to date to help those who want to play with code and not wait forever.

Open source means open.  If you need help "stabilizing" (or whatever), why not open it up for others to help with?  That's the real beauty of open-source - it's openness and the availability of others to improve it.

Ids-
I appreciate that you are wanting Degenatrons' source code but he has transitioned from working on his own to working as a part of a team.  The KADE team will be releasing sources after the KickStarter rewards have been received by all who have pledged.  This should be the end of January or early February.  Releasing old or partial code isn't something we are interested in doing at this point.  If you want to check the team's track record, you can see that BootSector has released his code after launching his main product: https://gitorious.org/usb-retropad-adapter .  I ask that you please be patient as we prepare our initial release.

gazz292

• Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2012, 09:26:24 pm »
Thankyou very much for that custom key map,

i've wired my coin changer up to my minimus with that hex flashed to it, and she works fine...

keypad 0 - 5 sent for the lower, single coin levers of 5pf, 10pf, 50pf, 1DM, 2DM and 5DM,
and SHIFT sent when an upper lever is pressed, plus the 0-5 keycode of the bottom lever for multiple coins, i.e. to dispense 2DM, press the relevent lower lever,
To dispense 8DM, the lever above the 2DM lever is pressed, which sends SHIFT whilst the upper lever is depressed, plus the 2DM lever when the upper lever contacts the lower one, and keypad 4 is sent , and in omsi it spits out 8 deutsch marks into the change cup,

Next job will be to wire up the ticket machine,

I am very happy that the author of this code is available to make custom keymaps so quickly, it's solved my problem in one go,

But i would love to see the source code sometime, just to figure out how it does what it does so i can learn from it, i plan to use more of these minimus boards in the future as usb input boards, so i would like to be able to change the keycodes sent my self so i get a little sense of achievement from modifying the code,

ids

• Offline Offline
  • Fighter Captured
« Reply #160 on: December 21, 2012, 11:36:12 am »

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #161 on: December 21, 2012, 02:07:00 pm »
Dont hold your breath for src, this is like waiting for a RAM SW Yoke.

Flag on the play!   :angry:

You may be as impatient as people were waiting for SCAM Controls, but comparing Jon, Kevin and Bruno to a scam artist like David is definitely not cool, bro.

The KADE team has given a specific time frame (late Jan - early Feb) when they will release the code.

If they haven't released it by 1 Mar 2013, by all means bring the subject up then.

After all, it is their work and none of us have a claim to another's work without mutually agreed compensation . . . unless you support repeal of the 13th Amendment.   ::)

Scott

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #162 on: December 21, 2012, 02:11:55 pm »
Dont hold your breath for src, this is like waiting for a RAM SW Yoke.

ids-
Your referencing the delays in the $350.00 RAM Controls Star Wars yolk pre-order makes it clear how difficult this situation must be for you.  You have invested greatly in supporting this project so your gentle requests for source code should be answered.  Because we are not ready to release the source code until late January/ early February (a virtual eternity from now) we will promptly be refunding every cent of the money you have sent to Degenatrons to support his work on this project.  I want to make sure I have the amount you sent him right, it is $0.00, correct?

Happy Holidays!

johnm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 04, 2024, 03:05:24 pm
« Reply #163 on: December 21, 2012, 02:49:37 pm »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #164 on: December 21, 2012, 02:58:29 pm »
Has anyone ordered the minimus AVR from www.foundmy.com ?

I really didn't like the payment options of any of the places selling it.
It's either wire transfers or credit card over the phone.
They all sound sketchy.  I'd rather just paypal or enter CC info at checkout.

With this place, I selected credit card info over the phone and am waiting for someone to call and ask me for it.

EDIT: Was sent a link to enter CC info.  Had to enter order #.
         Very disconjointed and suspicious payment process.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 04:02:23 pm by BadMouth »

gazz292

• Offline Offline
« Reply #165 on: December 21, 2012, 08:14:28 pm »
Nope,
i ordered mine from http://mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog/minimus-development-board-p-808.html

paid by card online, board was with me in 2 days, no messing about no problems,

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2012, 12:30:03 am »

With this place, I selected credit card info over the phone and am waiting for someone to call and ask me for it.

I have, a few months ago, and had no issues.  Since then they did change the way they took payment, mainly to save on the fees.  I just kept in contact with owners via email during the process.  They are a bit dry, so dont expect joyful responses.

I got my stuff no issues, and this guy has the lowest prices for the one off purchases of AVR's.  Email them first and say you want to place and order, this may speed things up.

But i can vouch they are legit and will ship out your product, they just have a crappy way of accepting payment...

• Offline Offline
« Reply #167 on: December 22, 2012, 11:50:34 am »

I know the owner. He is legit. the whole CC and other payment options issue is because paypal and other  payment services have been cracking down on mod sellers.

equlizer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 17, 2019, 02:56:48 am
  • All your base are belong to us
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2012, 12:37:04 am »

I know the owner. He is legit. the whole CC and other payment options issue is because paypal and other  payment services have been cracking down on mod sellers.

Ive delt with Terry quite a few times with no issues. You from Edmonton 404? I just picked up 3 today from him.  Playing with one right now.  Not sure if i flashed it right, but i did hook up 1 button and when pressed it does "Z" :)
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 12:56:55 am by equlizer »

macattack

• Offline Offline
DIY keyboard encoder
« Reply #169 on: December 25, 2012, 11:54:52 am »
Has anyone tried this device as an input for a raspberry pi based mame solution yet?

• Offline Offline
« Reply #170 on: December 27, 2012, 10:08:16 pm »

Ive delt with Terry quite a few times with no issues. You from Edmonton 404? I just picked up 3 today from him.  Playing with one right now.  Not sure if i flashed it right, but i did hook up 1 button and when pressed it does "Z" :)

Nope, I live in the states but I've known Terry for a long time now. Spoken with him off and on as far back as 2002 or 03.

As for your issue you are having. yes, it seems it is working correctly. Keep in mind that the current code released simply works as a keyboard encoder. that means it simulates keystrokes. The keystrokes in the default mapping correspond to the default keystroke configuration inside of mame.

If you are using it for a simple mame setup then just use the pin to key guide available to map out your buttons according to the default mame key configuration. If you get confused, just let me know and i'll try to write a more clear explanation.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:43:52 pm
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2013, 05:07:07 pm »
Had some time to mess around with this today.
Some of the needed links are no longer good.

New link for FLIP programming software: http://www.atmel.com/tools/FLIP.aspx

Minimus AVR instructions are attached.

I couldn't find the drivers for Windows 7 and ended up just working on an old xp pc.

I only programmed one of the AVRs to get familiar with it.
Waiting for the KADE software to do custom mappings on the other.

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #172 on: January 21, 2013, 03:13:41 pm »
Had some time to mess around with this today.
Some of the needed links are no longer good.

Hey,  thanks for the heads up on those dead links.  I was pointing to the minimususb.com site for some resources but that seems to have disappeared recently.  I have replaced those links.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 03:15:30 pm by degenatrons »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #173 on: January 21, 2013, 09:07:47 pm »
just in case, here is the win7x64 drivers

thinking of putting up a mirror of the old minimus website somewhere just for archival use.

iscariot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 14, 2022, 02:00:34 pm
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2013, 11:03:47 am »
Where can we get one of these with the screw terminals?

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2013, 11:58:14 am »
Where can we get one of these with the screw terminals?
PM Degenatrons for details, he still has quite a few of the .1" screw terminals and AVRs available.  He can solder them up for you or send as a kit.

Scott

robe_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2013, 03:21:48 pm
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2013, 03:34:28 pm »
Hi Scott,
In another thread (cant find it again) you state the the source code will not be released for upto 90 days after kade release but what about the firmware to program a Minimus for use with an xbox with default map settings?  I gather that this early firmware used in the diy encoder does not work with a xbox.
Or will it be a case of having to buy a preprogrammed kade from yourselves to get the xbox compatible firmware?
I know this option will not be available until the kickstart stuff has been cleared so we could be looking end of feb?

Rob

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »
In another thread (cant find it again) you state the the source code will not be released for upto 90 days after kade release but what about the firmware to program a Minimus for use with an xbox with default map settings?  I gather that this early firmware used in the diy encoder does not work with a xbox.
Or will it be a case of having to buy a preprogrammed kade from yourselves to get the xbox compatible firmware?
I know this option will not be available until the kickstart stuff has been cleared so we could be looking end of feb?

Glad you asked, Rob.

Allow me to clarify the timeline and terms being used.

KADE hardware is scheduled to go on sale sometime in late February. (Parts on order for 289 Kickstarter encoders requiring a total of 21,097 solder connections plus more KADEs for the initial demand.)

The KADE loader software (for average users) that programs the desired firmware/keymap into the Minimus AVR (same board used in the older encoder and KADE) will be available for free download as soon as the hardware goes on sale.

Per this post, the KADE source code (for developers/programmers) will be posted within 90 days after new KADE software is made available for public download.

The hardware, software, firmware, and source will all be open source once released.

As you suspect, the old firmware isn't compatible with the XBox, but the older AVR Encoder uses the same board as the KADE so you can reprogram it effortlessly to the new firmware using the KADE loader software.

Scott

robe_uk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 26, 2013, 03:21:48 pm
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2013, 06:38:24 pm »
Thanks Scott that clears a lot up, I think it's great you guys are letting all your hard work go open source, well done.  :applaud:

Rob

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2021, 02:25:46 pm
« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2013, 03:06:32 am »
Just a quick note of warning on this device: I'm using it on my pinball simulator and I had to put a really good ground to both the lockbar and the coin door. Before I got the coindoor grounded well, I touched it and a static spark took out the coin input. The encoder kept working, but it will throw random 5's even when no wire is connected to the input. Before I grounded the lockbar, I knocked the encoder silly with static half a dozen times. After a good ground, it was golden. I just didn't realize the coin door didn't have a good ground.

BTW, these minimus AVRs are getting a lot harder to find. I sure hope you guys have a good supplier or can order them manufactured for the KADE. BTW, where's that source code we've been promised?
Pinball and Video Arcade Repair in Billings, MT USA
http://pinballmd.com/

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #180 on: March 16, 2013, 04:06:35 am »
BTW, where's that source code we've been promised?

First they have to finish assembling, testing, and shipping the rewards for the Kickstarter investors.

I believe that Kevin has already shipped most of the U.S. Kickstarter rewards.

Not sure how far Jon and Bruno have progressed with the overseas KS rewards. (Slight delays with international shipping + customs IIRC)   :hissy:

Once all the KS rewards have shipped, the team will announce the official launch and start accepting orders -- check http://kadevice.com/ for updates.

As previously promised here, the team will release the source code within 90 days after the new KADE software is made available for public download.

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #181 on: March 16, 2013, 08:54:57 pm »
Just a quick note of warning on this device: I'm using it on my pinball simulator and I had to put a really good ground to both the lockbar and the coin door. Before I got the coindoor grounded well, I touched it and a static spark took out the coin input. The encoder kept working, but it will throw random 5's even when no wire is connected to the input. Before I grounded the lockbar, I knocked the encoder silly with static half a dozen times. After a good ground, it was golden. I just didn't realize the coin door didn't have a good ground.

BTW, these minimus AVRs are getting a lot harder to find. I sure hope you guys have a good supplier or can order them manufactured for the KADE. BTW, where's that source code we've been promised?

not sure why so many people are worked up about the source. as long as they are not using sources from any other open source project, they have zero obligation to release the source code. At this point all things are indicating to this project's code being 100% original and they are being nice enough to release the source on their terms.

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2013, 10:35:48 pm »

not sure why so many people are worked up about the source. as long as they are not using sources from any other open source project, they have zero obligation to release the source code. At this point all things are indicating to this project's code being 100% original and they are being nice enough to release the source on their terms.
I'm pretty sure that the kickstarter (which pulled in about 10 times what they were asking for) was promoted in some not so small way by the open source promise and expectation. No they don't have any obligation to open source the code, but degenetron promised it more than once and he freely distributed the hex.

Now please tell me again what's your dog in this hunt?

sharpfork

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2013, 11:36:10 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the kickstarter (which pulled in about 10 times what they were asking for) was promoted in some not so small way by the open source promise and expectation.
Yes.  This is why I posted this to clarify about the source code:
The KADE software sources will be posted within 90 days after new KADE software is made available for public download. We have had a few jerks really pester us for sources prior to public release so this is our policy.

And btw- 10X has meant 10x more work for us.  We are doing this all on our own and will give the source back to the community.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 10:43:50 am by sharpfork »

MTPPC

• Offline Offline
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2013, 12:34:18 am »
Sorry I asked.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2013, 01:00:19 am »
For anyone wondering how much work this is for the KADE team, I added up the number of encoders required for Kickstarter Investor rewards.

289 encoders x 73 solder joints per board = a total of 21,097 solder connections.   :o

. . . and that's not including the encoders they need to assemble to get ready for the official public release which is coming soon.

If anyone is wondering why the KADE team is playing things somewhat close to the vest, look no further than what has happened with Vigo's ZD Encoders.

Scott

• Offline Offline
« Reply #186 on: March 17, 2013, 10:23:46 am »
I'm pretty sure that the kickstarter (which pulled in about 10 times what they were asking for) was promoted in some not so small way by the open source promise and expectation. No they don't have any obligation to open source the code, but degenetron promised it more than once and he freely distributed the hex.

Now please tell me again what's your dog in this hunt?

I'm pretty sure that they have said they are going to release the source code approximately 90 days after release of the hardware. That's been mentioned a few times spanning two threads already.

woof!

JDFan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2013, 11:00:41 am »
For anyone wondering how much work this is for the KADE team, I added up the number of encoders required for Kickstarter Investor rewards.

289 encoders x 73 solder joints per board = a total of 21,097 solder connections.   :o

. . . and that's not including the encoders they need to assemble to get ready for the official public release which is coming soon.

If anyone is wondering why the KADE team is playing things somewhat close to the vest, look no further than what has happened with Vigo's ZD Encoders.

Scott

Perhaps they should have tried for a bit more funding and sourced a system or third party for automating the soldering as well !!

johnnygal2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2022, 03:16:04 am
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2013, 09:39:18 am »
Has anyone tried this device as an input for a raspberry pi based mame solution yet?
Yep, just finished testing on raspberry pi advame and works great. This is with Shea Silverman's pimame but with the advmame from the RetroPi project (based on MAME 0.96). This gave a considerable performance boost over the PiMame version. I have tried a dozen or so classic games (galaga, phoenix, donkey kong, bomb jack, etc) and all play smoothly with sound.

I had previously programmed up a Teensy 2 as a keyboard encoder which worked great in windows but on the pi got missed/repeated characters and the USB HID device kept resetting (according to the pi logs).
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 09:42:25 am by johnnygal2 »

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2013, 06:58:23 pm »
Yep, just finished testing on raspberry pi advame and works great. This is with Shea Silverman's pimame but with the advmame from the RetroPi project (based on MAME 0.96). This gave a considerable performance boost over the PiMame version. I have tried a dozen or so classic games (galaga, phoenix, donkey kong, bomb jack, etc) and all play smoothly with sound.

Hey,  thanks for confirming your success with Rasp Pi :D

johnnygal2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2022, 03:16:04 am
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:27 pm »

Hey,  thanks for confirming your success with Rasp Pi :D

No problem Jon. Thanks for the hex code! It replicates a keyboard exactly. I am considering building a cocktail cabinet using a Pi.

Cheers

degenatrons

• Offline Offline
    • KADE
« Reply #191 on: April 09, 2013, 05:44:56 pm »
KADE sources are now made available to the public under open source licensing.
The KADE repository can be found at: https://github.com/kadevice/KADE

KADE software is licensed under GNU GPL v3.
KADE hardware is licensed under Creative Commons BY-SA 3.0
Refer to the attached license file for further information.

The KADE Loader software is available to download from http://kadevice.com/loader/setup.zip
A Quick Start guide to installation at: http://kadevice.com/?page_id=154
An overview of KADE miniArcade device at: http://kadevice.com/?page_id=97

We make our software and hardware open so that folks can contribute, innovate, improve the technology and make things better for the community.
Derived products (software and hardware) must adhere to the same licenses and KADE should be appropriately attributed.

If you need help working with KADE software please refer to the following information and feel free to ask questions.
http://kadevice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=413

Those who are interested in the custom keyboard encoder should refer to kade-key-custom in the repository under KADE / open software / firmwares / KADE miniArcade / sources / kade-key-custom
I recommend installing the KADE Loader software which can be used to configure and program the firmware without changing the sources.

We will be selling KADE products in our online store after we wrap up shipping the last of the rewards.  The store is going to take a bit of time to setup but email sales requests can be found at emukade.com
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 01:16:16 pm by degenatrons »

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #192 on: April 09, 2013, 06:03:46 pm »
 :cheers:

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #193 on: April 10, 2013, 09:47:04 am »
Way to go on reaching open source.  I've been a part of hundreds of Kickstarter projects and I know exactly how things work now.  The issue is that most people who help fund don't, which results in the misunderstanding and disappointment when things don't go exactly how they were talked about in the first page.

Hopefully you get orders opened soon, I'd like to try it out.  Missed out on the first wave.

SORHP

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 09:49:39 pm
« Reply #194 on: February 11, 2014, 10:18:41 pm »
Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but are these encoders on the market somewhere?
Games: Super Punch Out, Fix It Felix Jr, DK, DKjr, DK3, PC10, UMK3, TRON, MS-Pac, Pac, Centipede (2x), Robotron, Galaga, Space Invaders, Street Fighter 2 CE, X-Men vs SF, BuckHunter HD, 2X Custom Vewlix, Custom Nintendo VS 3/4, Atomiswave

rablack97

• Offline Offline
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2014, 10:21:02 pm »