Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What do you use to update Mame-roms?  (Read 10155 times)

the_gamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2020, 03:44:06 pm
What do you use to update Mame-roms?
« on: May 08, 2012, 02:20:20 am »
What program do you use?
I tried romwiz which said my /usr/bin/sdlmame is no real mame binary... perhaps the program is too old?
I also tried the newer ckmame but this one moved all my roms into the folder unknown and therefore updated none.

Do you all use wine and clrmame pro? Or is there any native way? Do I have to install a second mame into wine for clrmame to have an exe to compare it or does the dat file suffice? And do I have to move all my roms into the winedir to update? Sadly it seems to be not that easy to update mame roms under linux :(

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
Re: What do you use to update Mame-roms?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:41:14 pm »
now i tried clrmame pro under wine. I tried it with a downloaded mame.dat with the version my sdlmame has(0.144). It updated and changed my roms and i tried to run them again. It didn't work.
So I found out that clrmame also supports xml-files. So i gave it the output of sdlmame -listxml of my version. It updated the roms which workes with the older version of mame... but they still don't work in the newer version. So how do you do it?

Please don't tell me nobody in here updates their mame roms under linux  :embarassed:

eldiau

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2023, 06:01:40 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:12:59 pm »
I use clrmamepro with wine and I generate the dat using the windows binary from mamedev.org, no need to install mame the exe file is an autoextracting archive (you can extraxt it with fileroller too if you have 7zip installed), put it wherever you want, everything always worked fine.
Just be sure you have a drive defined with winecfg the points to your roms folder or a parent of it, for clrmamepro to be able to reach your roms.

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 01:24:36 am »
I use clrmamepro with wine and I generate the dat using the windows binary from mamedev.org, no need to install mame the exe file is an autoextracting archive (you can extraxt it with fileroller too if you have 7zip installed), put it wherever you want, everything always worked fine.
Just be sure you have a drive defined with winecfg the points to your roms folder or a parent of it, for clrmamepro to be able to reach your roms.
Thanks for your answer! I will try that next. Sad that there seems to be no native way to do it.

the_gamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:50:37 pm »
It didn't work for me neither. What am I doing wrong? I am using sdlmame0.144 and downloaded the mame 0.144.exe from mamedev.org(yes, i extracted it and used the right exe, the datfile was created and the roms properly scanned and "repaired" them but they don't work under sdlmame.

I used the instructions from http://www.mameworld.info/easyemu/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html

Can anybody help me out how to update my roms somehow?

Mysterioii

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2018, 11:44:34 am
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:10:33 pm »
I just point the torrent download to the rom folder and let it overwrite anything it sees as being different than it expects... or just set it  to download the full new set to a different folder and do a swap.  Actually that's what I tend to do more often, so I have a backup set of roms just in case something goes wrong.  I set it to download everything and leave the machine on, next time I look it's done.  (CHDs not included, that'll take a while longer and I don't update them as often... I will with .146 since the format is changing).

I never run any of the audit programs anymore and I think I've actually had less problems since I stopped doing so....