Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PONG IN MAME  (Read 9914 times)

mytymaus007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2023, 09:58:40 am
  • http://gameroom.atozmicro.com
PONG IN MAME
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
I know there are threads already but needed to ask again. I have PONG in DICE emulator but only 1 mouse support  heard of mame32plus having pong but cant seem to find the right version and Misfit MAME only has support for 2 analog joysticks or digital stick support. IS there any where to find PONG that uses 2 spinners I also looked into plasma pong seems weird unless you were doing drugs or something plus i can install it windows 7 64bit

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Re: PONG IN MAME
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:05:10 am »
Gee you can write PONG yourself in like 5 minutes, and make it do anything you want.
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

compute

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2018, 05:33:36 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 08:54:29 am »
Gee you can write PONG yourself in like 5 minutes, and make it do anything you want.

Pics or it didn't happen.

fnord12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 22, 2012, 10:45:02 am
    • My MAME cab
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 04:38:14 pm »
I second the original poster.  I would love a two-mouse version of Pong for my cab.  Maybe ark_ader would be willing to write one for us?   Start a Kickstarter project! :)

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 07:17:40 pm »
Dumb question but can't you just have each spinner use a different axis of ONE mouse?

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2012, 08:33:27 pm »
Dumb question but can't you just have each spinner use a different axis of ONE mouse?

makes sense but how can we manipulate that :dunno

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 09:13:57 pm »

From what I've read, MAME had Pong from 0.36b16 and before.  If it supports a mouse and still you can still assign one spinner to the X-Axis and and the other to the Y-Axis, it may work.  Of course, I haven't tested any of this or seen it in action so I can't really say how well it'll work (or how accurate it would be considering it was removed from official MAME for it's inaccuracies.)

Well Fed Games

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 07:30:46 pm
  • Delicious!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:49:06 am »
I second the original poster.  I would love a two-mouse version of Pong for my cab.  Maybe ark_ader would be willing to write one for us?   Start a Kickstarter project! :)

+1, I would love to put my money where your mouth is, Ark, if it is really as simple as you say... what do you charge for 5 minutes of programming?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

Working on: Pinball Re-theme, Homebrew arcade arena shooter

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:03:39 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »

From what I've read, MAME had Pong from 0.36b16 and before.  If it supports a mouse and still you can still assign one spinner to the X-Axis and and the other to the Y-Axis, it may work.  Of course, I haven't tested any of this or seen it in action so I can't really say how well it'll work (or how accurate it would be considering it was removed from official MAME for it's inaccuracies.)

I think it was probably accurate enough. It was removed because it was simulated instead of emulated. The game was made entirely with circuits - so no roms to run on emulated hardware.

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:12 pm »
I play pong all the time using MisfitMAME 127 and my 2 turbo-twist spinners. You'll need to play with the sensitivity and speed a lot at first, but they work great.
On a side note, I would love it if someone that owns a real PONG could compare MisfitMAME to a real PONG and share the most authentic sensitivity and speed settings.

I run a batch from Hyperspin that runs pong through Misfit when it detects HS trying to play it.

if %1==pong.zip goto :pong

:pong
C:\Arcade\ControllerRemap\ControllerRemap.exe /Remap:C:\Arcade\MIS127H\ctrlr\SamsArcade.cfg > NUL
call C:\Arcade\MIS127H\mis.exe -skip_gameinfo -cheat pong -ctrlr SamsArcade
goto :end

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 04:10:57 pm »
I second the original poster.  I would love a two-mouse version of Pong for my cab.  Maybe ark_ader would be willing to write one for us?   Start a Kickstarter project! :)

+1, I would love to put my money where your mouth is, Ark, if it is really as simple as you say... what do you charge for 5 minutes of programming?

I have done a pretty good rendition with actual sounds and everything.  Its only 14K.  ;D

Works fine on the PC.

Took me 5 minutes to bang it together.  I tested it on my laptop and it works.  You can have this free.

I'm working on a Warlords game next.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4tbvgggkv2tjuux

This isn't a mame driver but you can run it in your cab just the same.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:13:26 pm by ark_ader »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:52 pm »
not working for me... maybe you should have taken 10 minutes?
Completed projects: Pac bartop (Plug & Play), 30th Anniversary Pac cab (MAME), Point Blank (PS1), Centipede (arcade hardware- light restore), VS. Super Mario Bros (arcade hardware- light restore) Tetris Cocktail (SNES), Arcade Classics upright (60-in-1, then MAME), Multi-Raiden (arcade hardware). Pac Man vs.(Gamecube),

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 04:22:05 pm »
lol url no good

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:32:49 pm »
Well it could be the installer.  I have VS2010 already installed, so it might be looking for some files.

Works fine with my PC but yeah if I took 10 minutes..... :lol

What I was saying with regards to the 5 minute quip was you can write Pong or any other similar game rather easily and then have the option to customize like backgrounds and special controls.

I'm sure most of you gamers have a game title inside of you just waiting to be published..... :applaud:

MacGyver

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 18, 2023, 12:49:00 am
    • Project Build
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:35:12 pm »
The error has something to do with:
Code: [Select]
SOURCES
Deployment url : file:///Z:/Pong-Ark-BYOAC.application

and ends with

Code: [Select]
ERROR SUMMARY
Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
* Activation of Z:\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
+ Downloading file:///Z:/Application Files/Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0/Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest did not succeed.
+ Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\Application Files\Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest'.
+ Could not find a part of the path 'Z:\Application Files\Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest'.

It's almost like there the manifest file, but it points to a missing .exe.

Basically, the zip is missing the exe file, and just has the manifest file.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:40:05 pm by MacGyver »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »
Well it could be the installer.  I have VS2010 already installed, so it might be looking for some files.

Works fine with my PC but yeah if I took 10 minutes..... :lol

What I was saying with regards to the 5 minute quip was you can write Pong or any other similar game rather easily and then have the option to customize like backgrounds and special controls.

I'm sure most of you gamers have a game title inside of you just waiting to be published..... :applaud:

Yeah, I am totally learning about how to homebrew games, which is why the "5 minute" thing pissed me off... game design, even recreating a classic, is certainly an art form. I really do want to play your pong , and especially the warlords one if you finish it up, so if you have tips let me know.  :cheers:

Jim- thanks as always for being helpful. Maybe since you have it all figured out you can give me a quick write up or a link to what I have to do.

abispac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:47 am
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:54:57 pm »
If you are wrinting games you need to specify what the requirements does the game needs, just downloading your file and running does nothing, it gives an error...
If you finicsh your other game then please do as i advice.

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
   Windows          : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
   Common Language Runtime    : 4.0.30319.1
   System.Deployment.dll       : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
   clr.dll          : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
   dfdll.dll          : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
   dfshim.dll          : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
   Deployment url         : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Pong-Ark-BYOAC.application

IDENTITIES
   Deployment Identity      : Pong-Ark-BYOAC.application, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=fd8c155012e96aba, processorArchitecture=x86

APPLICATION SUMMARY
   * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
   Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
   * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
      + Downloading file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Application Files/Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0/Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest did not succeed.
      + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Application Files\Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest'.
      + Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Application Files\Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest'.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
   No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
   There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
   * [5/8/2012 2:55:19 PM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.application has started.
   * [5/8/2012 2:55:19 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
   * [5/8/2012 2:55:19 PM] : Installation of the application has started.

ERROR DETAILS
   Following errors were detected during this operation.
   * [5/8/2012 2:55:19 PM] System.Deployment.Application.DeploymentDownloadException (Unknown subtype)
      - Downloading file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Administrator/Desktop/Application Files/Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0/Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest did not succeed.
      - Source: System.Deployment
      - Stack trace:
         at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
         at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadAllFiles()
         at System.Deployment.Application.FileDownloader.Download(SubscriptionState subState)
         at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadManifestAsRawFile(Uri& sourceUri, String targetPath, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, ServerInformation& serverInformation)
         at System.Deployment.Application.DownloadManager.DownloadApplicationManifest(AssemblyManifest deploymentManifest, String targetDir, Uri deploymentUri, IDownloadNotification notification, DownloadOptions options, Uri& appSourceUri, String& appManifestPath)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
         at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Application Files\Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest'.
      - Source: System
      - Stack trace:
         at System.Net.FileWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
         at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponse()
         at System.Deployment.Application.SystemNetDownloader.DownloadSingleFile(DownloadQueueItem next)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.Net.WebException
      - Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Application Files\Pong-Ark-BYOAC_1_0_0_0\Pong-Ark-BYOAC.exe.manifest'.
      - Source: System
      - Stack trace:
         at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)
         at System.Net.FileWebRequest.GetResponseCallback(Object state)
      --- Inner Exception ---
      System.IO.DirectoryNotFoundException
      - Source: mscorlib
      - Stack trace:
         at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
         at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)
         at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
         at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync)
         at System.Net.FileWebStream..ctor(FileWebRequest request, String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare sharing, Int32 length, Boolean async)
         at System.Net.FileWebResponse..ctor(FileWebRequest request, Uri uri, FileAccess access, Boolean asyncHint)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
   No transaction information is available.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 05:06:15 pm »
I would love to develop my own homebrew to go with my cab's custom theme.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 05:37:10 pm »
Yeah that does not look cool.

I will look at it tomorrow and probably just zip up all the files here and see if you guys can get it to work.

I am not preaching here, but I took a look at that config file.  It is not a good idea to install unknown (well I am not a baddie  ;D) applications in your Administrator account.  I would (and do) have a Vmware client running TinyXp just for trying stuff out.  It is completely isolated and has a Virus checker in there as a warning.

Other than that, thanks for at least trying, and I will ask around why this dumb thing didn't do as it was asked.  :whap   

Spacedueler

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2017, 04:24:45 pm
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 01:21:16 am »
IS there any where to find PONG that uses 2 spinners I also looked into plasma pong seems weird unless you were doing drugs or something plus i can install it windows 7 64bit

ATARI ANNIVERSARY EDITION (just of few bucks on ebay) has a nice version of Pong that uses X axis for one paddle, Y axis for the other. I play it all the time with my mame control panel with two spinners (one is on X the other is on Y on a mouse hack).

Also the most recent releases of Stella (Atari 2600 emulator) will allow X and Y spinners - so Video Olympics is a great two player "pong" game

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 07:27:18 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 07:31:24 am »
play Pong Kombat instead (flashes back to high school)
http://pixelscapes.com/twoflower/pongkombat/
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 05:48:47 pm »
Had some time today to figure out what was causing that distributable to get all goofed up.

Looks like the installer is pointing to a old M$ website...

Well here it is in all its funky glory, see if you can get it working.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?2y2fgcd9t24i9a2

Maybe you guys can give some advice on how not to distribute Visual Studio games like this.

Keyboard control player 1 : w:up d:down player 2 Up and down arrow.  

I'm working on warlords now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 07:09:56 pm by ark_ader »

Well Fed Games

• Offline Offline
  • Delicious!
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 05:56:19 pm »

Well here it is in all its funky glory, see if you can get it working.

Worked for me, pretty cool.

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:59 pm »
Nice work! is there any settings for dummies need a fast ball

molton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2018, 10:46:57 pm
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 11:05:40 pm »
try mame32 plus! 0.122u1, I've seen it work.

The controls come up as a single AD stick with an X and Y axis, Y axis is player 1 and X axis is player 2, mame should allow you to map a mouse or spinner to those axises.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 11:29:38 pm by molton »

mytymaus007

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23:32 am »
try mame32 plus! 0.122u1, I've seen it work.

The controls come up as a single AD stick with an X and Y axis, Y axis is player 1 and X axis is player 2, mame should allow you to map a mouse or spinner to those axises.

i dont see the game pong when searching for  a game in mame32 plus! 0.122u1 is pong under another name Not sure what you are talking about

molton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2018, 10:46:57 pm
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 04:52:47 am »
I'm not looking at a mame machine right now, but mameplus' default options have an option to apply the default options to different things, it's a bunch of check boxes I think in the miscellaneous tab, by default some of them are unchecked, check them all and audit your games again, if it doesn't show up I'm out of ideas.