Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Cocktail qbert machine  (Read 3673 times)

Rush7200

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2012, 08:34:17 am
Cocktail qbert machine
« on: May 03, 2012, 01:31:28 pm »
I have a qbert cocktail table and when i turn it on it blows the F11 fuse.   Everytime i replace it. I get 1 to 2 minutes outof it and then it blows again..... Anyone out that my know this problem.  Thanks

matsadona

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2023, 06:00:12 am
Re: Cocktail qbert machine
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 04:28:56 am »
In general troubleshooting, assuming there are several fuses, you need to find out what circuit that is on this specific fuse.

According to the schematics (http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/ARCADE/K-R/Q-Bert%20%2811x17%29%20%5BSchematics%5D%20%5BEnglish%5D.pdf) it seems to be 5Volt section of the power board.

If the 5V fuse blows, I guess there could be two reasons. Either you have the wrong value of the fuse. It should be a 6,25A slow blow fuse.
When a fuse blows after a while, it usually is because of a higher current than the fuse. If it is a shortcut it blows right away.
It can also be something wrong with your main board of course…

Have you measured that it is the correct voltage (5V)? I assume that you can change the voltage with VR1.
Building, collecting and playing arcade machines :)

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 12:21:17 pm »
A board causing the fuse to blow is unlikely. Its prob'ly regulator/cap/diode failure on the PS board.

I would keep the board disconnected to avoid damage while chasing this problem down.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Q-Bert_Addendum_Fuse_Correction_(2-18-83).pdf

The schematic shows F11 is right after the bridge rectifier/main filter cap and before the reg circuit.  Going by that I'd was the bridge/cap is fine and you need to look into what's goin' on in the regulator section.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 02:49:20 pm »
hi
ya thats a boot-strap style reg circuit
u can tell by the :crow-bar-scr: on the final
scr11.
the pass transistor q11 >2n5679< chk for leaking,
also chk to make sure it has proper isolation from the heatsink
u can adjust the supply up/down via vr1
the best way to test this supply
is to unplug p4 and p3 and wait to see if it blows a fuse
if it dose not then take a #44 bulb and wire it to p4 :main 5volt to board:
jumper's here will do fine,again let it run,if it blow's the fuse have a good hard look at the :scr:,and easier way is just to replace the linear power supply with a switcher smp's,given the fact your ram are not bad

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.

boardjunkie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2019, 06:05:58 pm
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 04:54:47 pm »
If he did that he's have to keep the original in place to run the audio amp and the knocker coil. So you'd use the switcher *only* for the 5v supply.

ed12

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2018, 03:44:39 pm
  • it is what it is..."Nobody Said It Was Easy"....
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 07:21:37 pm »
hi
correct
ya +5/+12 can come from a switcher
the -12 and +30 can come from the linear supply
this given the fact that his ram's are ok

ed
Shipping something from the U.S. to Canada for repair/exchange?  Please use USPS to avoid (additional?/excessive?) shipping charges.  PM me if you have any questions.