Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Marquee retainer options  (Read 17595 times)

not_so_handy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2016, 09:36:16 pm
Marquee retainer options
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:13:11 am »
has anyone ever used one of these as a retainer?  Thoughts about using one?  They are used for protecting wall corners.

They are fairly cheap and it states that they come up to 96 inches in length.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/dynamic-1-2in-x-8in-corner-guard-white/978768

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Marquee retainer options
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:15:50 am »
I have.  They work fine for small applications.  If I'm doing anything full sized I'll use metal tho.  Aluminum angel stock is cheap at HD too. 

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 12:20:03 pm »
They work OK for a small bartop but on a full size cab you need more overhang.  Try the aluminum strips (light) that go along the sides of the walls when you hang a false ceiling.  They are  good size and cut very easily.  Found in your local big box store where they sell the ceiling tiles.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 21, 2024, 08:20:28 am
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »
Personally I have always built mine out of wood. It will have a different aesthetic look on a cabinet though. I might give alum. stips a go next time around.   :cheers:

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 01:18:22 pm »
i thought about wood but since I am laminating the whole cabinet I thought it would look out of place.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2024, 10:50:02 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:19:38 pm »
I just got the marquee retainer from the Playdium store. It was 7, cut easily with my mitre saw, and looks awesome. The reason I went this way was because my marquee isn't based around 90 degree angles and I couldn't get anything to look right. But this solves that issue by being round.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 02:13:58 pm »
I just got the marquee retainer from the Playdium store. It was 7, cut easily with my mitre saw, and looks awesome. The reason I went this way was because my marquee isn't based around 90 degree angles and I couldn't get anything to look right. But this solves that issue by being round.

I got that retainer from Happ and didn't like the look of it at all.  I wound up going Aluminum angle.  My cabinet also had weird angles but you can easily bend the aluminum angle with patience and some wood blocks for a vise and an adjustable wrench with painters tape on it.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 28, 2023, 08:39:45 am
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »
has anyone ever used one of these as a retainer?  Thoughts about using one?  They are used for protecting wall corners.

They are fairly cheap and it states that they come up to 96 inches in length.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/dynamic-1-2in-x-8in-corner-guard-white/978768

This is precisely (well, close--mine was originally clear) what I used in my cab, and it worked out great.  Snip to size, drill screw holes, paint.  Done, and for next-to-nothing in cost.

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:37 pm »
eds1275 that might be exactly what I am looking for.  My build isnt based on 90 degree angles either.  I may have to get my friend to pick this up for me this weekend when hes in Toronto.  Cant believe i didn't see that either.  I got my coin door from them and i swear i scoured their site  :cheers:

Dervacumen

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2019, 10:11:11 pm
  • Home of Three Squares dice game
    • Beaker Games
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 04:23:26 pm »
I used that for my first cabinet because the angle wasn't 90 degrees and this bends easy enough.  I kept it clear.  To bend it, place it on the ground with the corner pointing up and use a 2x4 or something to put even pressure along the length while you press down.  Unless you need an acute angle.  Then ignore my advice.
Bringing to life a child's imagination.

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 07:07:41 am »
eds1275 that might be exactly what I am looking for.  My build isnt based on 90 degree angles either.  I may have to get my friend to pick this up for me this weekend when hes in Toronto.  Cant believe i didn't see that either.  I got my coin door from them and i swear i scoured their site  :cheers:

The plastic corner protectors are fine if the angle isn't 90 degrees (mine isn't).  They flex.

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 08:16:21 am »
i think I may try the ones from playdium first as I am looking for something that's more rounded as it goes more with the style of my cabinet.  Its very curvy :)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 09:50:57 am »
I used the clear one and painted it black from the inside... a la R/C car bodies.  Painting from the inside makes the paint scratchproof (unless you scratch it from the inside) and the finish is gloss.

AJ

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:57:23 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 09:55:47 am »
I went with the marquee retainer and love the look on my cab.  I routed out the top an bottom of the attachment points on the cab to ensure a smooth fit.  I secured them with black automotive screws.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:41:27 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 12:15:01 pm »
I used the clear one and painted it black from the inside... a la R/C car bodies.  Painting from the inside makes the paint scratchproof (unless you scratch it from the inside) and the finish is gloss.

AJ

Great tip!

***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

alfonzotan

• Offline Offline
    • The Cab With No Name
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 12:23:37 pm »

AJ

Great tip!

What he said.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »
Sorry about all the dust, but here it is.  My cab has a shallow angle on the bottom of the marquee that would just split an aluminum angle.  Rather than go for steel and have to go through all that, I used this:

Here's a good shot of the transition from the speaker panel to the marquee..

AJ

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 01:55:36 pm »
very nice!  Looks good minus the dust  ;D  I will be going this route if I am not happy with the retainer from Playdium.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:48 pm »
Yeah, you can't beat it for $1.35. 

Home Depot\Lowes are very creative places to go.  I feel like MacGuyver when I'm in there looking to do something.

Ask me about my $5 monitor glass mount.

AJ

not_so_handy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 03:38:17 pm »
Yeah, you can't beat it for $1.35. 

Home Depot\Lowes are very creative places to go.  I feel like MacGuyver when I'm in there looking to do something.

Ask me about my $5 monitor glass mount.

AJ

I'm asking Macgyver

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 03:51:18 pm »
Bathroom mirror mounting strips.  $4.88 for 4 feet.  Cut and painted with Rustoleum hammered black.  I needed to have the entire monitor mount removable in one shot, so I had to mount the glass to the bezel...

I'll be using 3/16" Solar Gray plexi from Tap Plastics so that I can drill through it (I'm installing my admin panel in the bezel/glass).

AJ

kahlid74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
Sorry about all the dust, but here it is.  My cab has a shallow angle on the bottom of the marquee that would just split an aluminum angle.  Rather than go for steel and have to go through all that.
AJ

The angle on the cab I just built was as aggressive as yours and I was able to use aluminum by patience and tac/bend technique.  It all depends on how much time you want to spend.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:30:50 pm »
Yeah, I cracked mine and turned into angry dad.  Then I read a thread on here describing these.  I ended up using the angle to mount the LCD on the back of the bezel...

It was a win-win. 

ha.

AJ

Sorry about all the dust, but here it is.  My cab has a shallow angle on the bottom of the marquee that would just split an aluminum angle.  Rather than go for steel and have to go through all that.
AJ

The angle on the cab I just built was as aggressive as yours and I was able to use aluminum by patience and tac/bend technique.  It all depends on how much time you want to spend.

Woodshop Flunky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2017, 05:24:57 am
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 10:26:41 am »
I'm working on a cab design that doesn't have 90 degrees on the marquee.  I really like the aluminum retains, so to get around those pesky obtuse angles, I'm planning to cut down some down on my table saw.

And here's a better view to help illustrate...

I was intimidated the first time I cut aluminum on my saw... but it's really pretty easy as long as you secure your work well.  :cheers:

NOTE: If you get larger angle, then you only have to make one cut for the angle... not two like I've shown.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 11:13:40 am by Woodshop Flunky »

Complete mini arcade cabinet plans available.

SammyWI

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2022, 07:58:00 pm
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2012, 10:45:34 am »
I used a similar item but I had to order from a place online to get a bigger piece.  1/2" was not going to cut it, I got 1" or 1.25".  Plus I could get them in black.  These were vinyl corner guards which can be bent if you heat them, but they will shrink a bit when they cool so cut the length after bending if you do that!  :D

Afterburner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2016, 01:02:00 am
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »
I cut a 1/4" wide groove into the sides and lower portion of the cab where the marquee goes.  The top-most panel of my cab comes off via 4 screws.  I have the same 1/4" groove cut into it.  To install/remove the marquee I remove the top panel and the marquee slides right out of the groove.

I don't have retainer clips or anything like that.
  2-player upright dual trackball / dual 8-way rotary joysticks - built from scratch

Tonyjambo

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 05:18:43 pm »
Hmmmm,

Maybe iu went ghetto on this ..... for my marquee i painted the back of the plexi with a 3/4" wide black border.  i then attached a couple of 1/4 round strips on the vertical portions of the marquee box that lined up with the horizontals formed by the top panel and speaker panel.  I then added velcro to all sides and hold my marquee in with velcro only - works perfectly.

i also didnt like the idea of a fixed bezel so mine is easily removable - the top of the bezel/glass slots ito a groove between the back of the speaker panel and a retaining piece of 1/4 round - spaced to fit my plexi and held in with panel pins.  The edges are pressure fitted against 2 pieces of 1/4 round and the bottom is held in place by the back side of my CP.

So to remove my bezel I lift my CP - finagle the bottom of the glass out and then pull it out the top slot.

Will post pics when i get home but i think it looks decent

dzorbas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2020, 09:22:00 am
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 05:50:16 pm »
Hey there,

Here's another thread about the same topic:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,121453.msg1288492.html#msg1288492

If you are using t-molding and the top and bottom of your marquee are close to being in line this may work for you as well:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,107100.msg1138345.html#msg1138345

I did this and it turned out pretty nice.

Good luck,

Dino Z.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:01:19 pm by dzorbas »

jace055

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2022, 12:39:25 am
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 05:51:19 pm »
Hmmmm,

Maybe iu went ghetto on this ..... for my marquee i painted the back of the plexi with a 3/4" wide black border.  i then attached a couple of 1/4 round strips on the vertical portions of the marquee box that lined up with the horizontals formed by the top panel and speaker panel.  I then added velcro to all sides and hold my marquee in with velcro only - works perfectly.

i also didnt like the idea of a fixed bezel so mine is easily removable - the top of the bezel/glass slots ito a groove between the back of the speaker panel and a retaining piece of 1/4 round - spaced to fit my plexi and held in with panel pins.  The edges are pressure fitted against 2 pieces of 1/4 round and the bottom is held in place by the back side of my CP.

So to remove my bezel I lift my CP - finagle the bottom of the glass out and then pull it out the top slot.

Will post pics when i get home but i think it looks decent

I would like to see a few pictures of this. I'm at the point where I need to make a decision and this sounds interesting.

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:59 pm »
I used two pieces of 3/4" angle aluminum.  Cut them with a hacksaw to size, pre drilled holes with a standard drill bit, and then painted them black.

I was happy with the result and it was easily done.  (still need a bezel though)

Nephasth

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 11:12:00 pm »
I'm looking for something for a very similar application. I'm trying to find 45 degree (inside angle) stock, channel, corner gaurd, whatever; in lengths of 4 feet or more. Hell of a time trying to find this ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---. I'm almost ready to buy small 45 degree brackets and just bolt flat stock onto them, but I'm wanting a clean finish... The search continues...

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 11:35:58 pm »
Here's the build thread.  Definately have about a 45 on the bottom marquee retainer.  Just click the vid links...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,117977.0/all.html

AJ

Tonyjambo

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2012, 08:44:36 am »
Pics as promised - sorry for the poor quality - lighting conditions are intentionally dark iin my basement :)
Was funny that the screws showed so much on the speaker panel in the pics - you cant see these at all when you're playing.

TheShaner

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2017, 10:42:25 pm
  • Shut your noise tube filthy Taco Human!
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2012, 02:35:03 pm »
Pics as promised - sorry for the poor quality - lighting conditions are intentionally dark iin my basement :)
Was funny that the screws showed so much on the speaker panel in the pics - you cant see these at all when you're playing.

Nice, you have the plexi of your marquee attached to a hinge?

Tonyjambo

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:29 pm »
Nahh - it just looks like that, but that might be a good mount option for the folks with odd angles just hinge it on the inside  - mine is just hanging off the velcro.  I got quite creative on my marquee in general with lots of velcro and duct tape to prevent light bleed etc.

I did try it with little neodynium magnets to hold the marquee in place but the light bleed was too bad, the velcro acts as quite a nice gasket to prevent the light slipping out around the edges.

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:18 pm »
I seem to recall someone using the aluminum framing from hanging ceilings and painting it black. The 90 degree piece that runs along the walls to be more precise. Just another option, I guess.

johncl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2012, 10:08:00 am
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2012, 03:49:22 am »
I am having a hard time finding a suitable marquee/bezel retainer for my bartop project. First since its a bartop I dont really want it to cover more than 1,5 cm (0.6 inches) as I am also using rather thin MDF for my case (11mm). Also since its a Donkey Kong replica the marquee is angling out a bit and the bezel is angling inwards a tiny bit. I wonder if some thin plastic edge trim would do the trick since that is a bit flexible and I could perhaps even cut it to fit the amount it should cover the marquee/bezel. But I have no idea how to find this and preferably in black colour. I was tipped about furniture shops perhaps having something like this?