Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do you resize a window larger than desktop ??  (Read 5621 times)

Skeleton

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2002, 05:45:22 pm
    • Skeleton's Arcade
How do you resize a window larger than desktop ??
« on: May 30, 2002, 05:48:14 am »
Here is my question: How do you resize a window larger than the desktop?  

I would like to do this because I like the smoothing effect that my video card gives to emulators when running in a window. When running a low res game such as a NES game full screen it looks extremely blocky on a large SVGA monitor, but if I run it in a window and resize it to full screen, it looks great.  The only problem is that I cannot resize the window beyond the size of the desktop (it won't allow it) so I see the window border and menu bar. If I could resize it to slightly larger than the screen, the window borders and menu bar would be off screen and not visible.

I've tried resizing the window with AutoIt and VB API calls, but I haven't met with any success.  The OS doesn't seem to allow the window to be resized to anything larger than the desktop resolution. It would be great if it were simply just a registry hack to allow this.

Please help.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Skeleton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2002, 05:45:22 pm
    • Skeleton's Arcade
Re: How do you resize a window larger than desktop
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 06:48:40 am »
UPDATE:
I have tried hooking into the Gens emulator window and changing the max size using WM_GETMINMAXINFO, but this didn't seem to work (see knowledge base article Q185733) . I can hook into a VB form and control its maximum size this way, but it doesn't work for the emulator window. I can manipulate the emulator window in other ways (moving it, resizing it, though not larger than the screen resolution )using API calls, so I know I have the correct window handle, but I can't seem affect its maximum size this way.

Argh! Searching the web and newsgroups hasn't turned up any solutions.

enemyace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2003, 01:23:43 pm
  • You repo men, you're all out to @!$#in' lunch!
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 01:12:23 pm »
Ask Howard, he probably knows...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 02:25:04 pm »
SETWINDOWSTATE is what you need and put the maximize switch on it, but I can almost guarantee you that it won't work either. This will stretch the contents of the window to full screen and remove the border.   Emulators set their own res for a reason, they use that res as a basis for rendering the graphics.  Usually when you try to tamper with this either you crash the emu or you get a really big window with a really little game running inside it.

Hope that helps.