Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: AimTrak-Converting a Namco Recoil Gun  (Read 138178 times)

SlyBlueFox

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2023, 12:11:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: AimTrak-Converting a Namco Recoil Gun
« Reply #320 on: August 26, 2016, 07:22:49 pm »
khoubash,

If you look on the actual trigger, there is a marking that says "NO" on it. Just follow that wire to the board. Before you solder to it, confirm that that wire is actually supplying +5V. I have performed this mod on another gun and all the +5V/ground wires were oppositely wired for all the buttons from the one I used for the guide.

jking3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2023, 03:43:18 pm
« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2016, 10:52:23 pm »
Okay, I'm almost done.

After tackling one red jolt gun, I think the main board was bad. Overall this gun NOS (New old stock) must have been baking in a wharehouse somehwere. IT was in bad shape, it would smolder when I plugged the powersupply in for the recoil.

anyhow, I'm to a point where my other blue jolt gun is working.

I'm trying to fully understand option #3, which is what I was trying to get going.

Option #3
Utilize the AimTrak recoil wire via switch & use the RealArcade gun as is. You will retain the normal single fire option & the autofire will work when switched on but only when the AimTrak recoil wire is disconnected. When you shoot off screen, the gun will not recoil only when AimTrak recoil wire is connected.

I had to remove the trigger switch from the jolt PCB gun to work, thus loosing 'auto recoil' when holding down the trigger.
 What works in this mode :

I can use the small switch to break the recoil connection from the aimtrak, turning off recoil mode.
Shooting on screen makes the recoil work
Shooting off screen does not make the recoil work.
Test recoil button works just fine in aimtrak config utility.
Nothing happens with the big side switch, moving to auto, normal, etc. No change.

When I have the trigger plugged into the the main jolt PCB and tied into aimtrak trigger - like all of the above suggest, the gun works like this:

No matter what I do with the small switch, recoil happens when pulling the trigger on or off screen.
Auto mode works
Normal works as expected

So I guess, I'm either missing something easy, I've re stepped through this a dozen times, or option #3 always does recoil no matter what happens?
Maybe I messed up on jumping pins 1 & 2 on the small switch. Couldn't really figure out which pins 1&2 where, so the ones I have the jumper on are +5v. I did try the other pins too.

Here are some pics, thanks for any suggestions.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 10:55:37 pm by jking3 »

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #322 on: September 12, 2016, 11:17:23 am »
jking3,

My gun would never work in GunCon mode, only in NorGun mode which is the reason I installed that jumper wire. I would test that switch to make sure it is making a good connection as well - I know when I originally tried to use that switch, it was pretty brittle. Can you post a picture of the big board? Have you confirmed that you connected the AimTrak trigger wire to the correct trigger joint? The one you connect to needs be the +5V (if I remember correctly). The second gun I wired up was opposite of my guide as far as all the trigger/button connections thus grounding out everything.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:34:10 am by SlyBlueFox »

jking3

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2023, 03:43:18 pm
« Reply #323 on: September 12, 2016, 10:12:30 pm »
@skybluefox,

Here are more pictures of the main board.

I'll confirm the trigger wire, but I'm pretty sure its correct. When it was wrong, the trigger was getting grounded out, causing calibration mode.

The switch is good, because I can switch the recoil wire off/on with the switch with success.

I just can't figure it out, when I have the tigger tied into the main board, the recoil triggers on or off screen, with or without the aimtrak recoil connected.

I'm wondering If I should try and tie the switch into the tigger onto the main pcb at the same time.

Thanks for the help, I may just settle for not having auto mode, and just leave the trigger off the PCB.

J

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #324 on: September 13, 2016, 10:36:01 pm »
jking3,

The only thing I did different was I t-tapped the trigger wire but theoretically that shouldn't make a difference I wouldn't think. Everything else looks like how I did it so not sure what else to say. I'll go over the pictures again and try to glance at one of my guns and see if anything else catches my eye.

adambull

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2016, 04:35:37 pm
« Reply #325 on: September 22, 2016, 03:02:13 pm »
Hey guys,

Just to clarify, I also had the grounding out issue, and thought it might have been an issue with the aimtrak calibration from holding down button too long. So I increased calibration duration to 60 and it seems to be OK.

I guess I should try one of the other two pins on the trigger switch now.

I've been thinking about removing the circuit, or connecting up the LED portion of the circuit, you might note with Skyblue's excellent instructions the LED has a nice clean signal that comes thru on each of the modes, I'm guessing that it might be easy enough to get some kind of relay switch circuit that is small enough, and throw it in between the LED wires on the board. I mean after all it would be simply the case of a switch that once receiving a signal controlled the two wires of the solenoid and shorted them for only a short time, lets say 1s max duration, and then off again until trigger is released, and then pressed again, which sends signal to LED pins, and starts the whole process off again. Does anyone know what that kind of switch is called? I don't know what it's called and it's making it harder for me to solve this in an alternative way. There are many ways to do this mod after some thought and reading through all peoples contributions.

I'm kind of bummed out because I can't figure out why the solenoid isn't firing in either of my guns, I got the right pins on the solenoid, it looks like there are subtle differences on the real arcade machine guns we've all had, the PCB is obviously being revised over time, and I dunno why they all have different colours in them, but its damnright tricky sometimes to figure it out. Sometimes better to look on the PCB than follow instructions blindly.

I work with a ton of qualified technicians, hundreds, there is no doubt in my mind that one of them could solve this, and so I will subscribe them into this adventure on the understanding that the arcade machine for the entire company relies on super awesome recoil, and possibly a way to disable it.

So, I forgot to say, I've modded two guns now. More pictures of second round coming soon. As for my potential ground problem, well it's actually not a problem seemingly, although the gun bears the annoying absurdity of pressing click down, but not mouse click release, quite infuriating since you cant double click with the gun!, i take it this the ground causing this, actually I think I untick the calibration in aimtrak utility to hide the ground problem, without realising it.

Well, this is a bit rushed, but I hope that everyone can look forward to a potential alternative circuit for the solenoid. For most people with little electronic experience I can see why this could be hard, and maybe we are all over complicating it a little bit, we only need the trigger, second switch sitting on trigger, that has a relay for the solenoid power supply, so bypass the pcb board & naturally wire the theaimtrak circuit as before, the rest (apart from maybe the norgun switch, should go). Do we really need a 555? I guess, but if we're going to use it we want to get autofire working, right?

more from me soon, and maybe a more coherent update too  :cheers: :afro:

Best wishes,
Adam
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 03:07:19 pm by adambull »

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2023, 04:32:47 am
« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2017, 01:53:38 pm »
Has anyone got any ideas for doing an 'automatic rapid fire mode' whereby you just hold the trigger and the gun automatically rapid fires, and when you just pull the trigger single shot wise it just does single shot, maybe their might be a delay to make the rapide fire work but it should be possible, this is to work seemlessly in time crisis II and 3 in the machine gun setting.

if anyone could chime in on taking the guts out of a guncon 3 and putting it in a NAMED gun as well with recoil that would be cool, this is just for time crisis 4.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:09:00 pm by TimeCrisis »

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #327 on: June 04, 2017, 08:12:04 am »
Looks like arcadeguns.com is releasing a recoil dongle

http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=322

not sure if that will help anyone that is making these guns but it's useful information.

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #328 on: June 08, 2017, 01:36:09 pm »
Looks like arcadeguns.com is releasing a recoil dongle

http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=322

not sure if that will help anyone that is making these guns but it's useful information.

Looks pretty cool but seems kind of expensive to me. Browsed around their site & did not see where they had any info on their own recoil module. Did they abandon that or was this the project all along?

TimeCrisis

• Offline Offline
« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2017, 12:20:35 pm »
pretty sure they will sell it soon, they created space for it in their V2 gun.

Moksi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2024, 09:10:04 am
« Reply #330 on: August 07, 2018, 06:12:30 am »
I really like to have my aimtrak gun into the Playstation jolt gun.

I know someone can solder it but he needs a diagram to do it

I like to have the entire aimtrak setup into the jolt gun ( also the aimtrak i have, doesnt have the usb wire to the camera inside of the aimtrak) is it needed or not into the joltgun?

I like the aintrak module with recoil in the joltgun , with no recoil offscreen just how the aimtrak works in general [holding trigger autofire]
& if possible the switch to turn recoil off.

I hope someone can give me a Diagram so i can show it to the person that can do the solder for me

Thanks

gstav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 10:59:19 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
« Reply #331 on: August 27, 2018, 03:49:45 pm »
If you want the gun not to fire the recoil when pointing outside the screen need the recoil kit + some own adruino module for the auto fire.
Have a real NAMCO gun working for single shooters just like the real gun does here:

also, check this project out which I did for full auto games, but also works with single shooters + burst mode via selectable fire mode switch

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=157861.0
"One coin to rule em' all"

Podbod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 25, 2022, 04:10:00 pm
« Reply #332 on: November 14, 2018, 10:28:08 am »
Can I ask those that have done this.

How's the aiming on the real arcade gun with aimtrak?
I had a real arcade gun when I was younger and I seen to remember running into issues because the lens was in the lower compartment and not in the barrel. Probably a design issue with the recoil.
However thinking about it technically, perhaps i only had issues with games that allowed enemies to be at the bottom of the screen? (did diehard trilogy have that maybe?).

gstav

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 10:59:19 am
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,157861.0.html
« Reply #333 on: November 15, 2018, 09:15:48 am »
I can take out anything on the screen. it is all about calibrating correctly and have the proper space between the gun and IR-light to be visible  :angel:
I do run with crosshair, but you can have some fair aiming with a larger screen I suppose. Have a 25" LCD my self
"One coin to rule em' all"

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #334 on: November 15, 2018, 09:21:10 am »
Ah cool.
I thought about it some more and hit you tube to find that die hard didn't have any in game calibration. So I think that was probably what was an issue when I was younger.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #335 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:09 am »
Hey,
What power supply are you using with the real arcade gun? Mine just arrived (£13 delivered) from ebay but didn't have a power supply. I tried a 24v 1.75a one but the recoil is super weak. Hopefully that's just a lack of amps.

Cheers

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: December 03, 2018, 11:38:30 am »
 Actually, watching YouTube its probably about the same. I think i misremembered how strong arcade recoil is.
Next question. Can it take 24v long term? What about 36v? Does that give a sizable power boost to the recoil strength?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:14:51 pm by Podbod »

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #337 on: December 04, 2018, 03:28:16 am »
Ok. Played with it a bit more this morning. The recoil seems to skip/miss some shots when the trigger is pressed quickly in succession. If I switch it to auto fire I'll get 4 maybe 5 recoils and then it'll miss 2 or so. Then do another 4.
Again. Had anyone had any experience of this? Is it the power supply being incorrect etc?

Cheers

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #338 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:00 am »
Ah-ha! Turns out the auto fire issue is because of the auto reload functionality. I don't have a manual. Can someone explain how auto fire /program mode works?

It still struggles if you press the fire button too quickly but I seem to recall that was an issue when I had one as a kid. Something the namco arcade ones don't (or at least I don't recall them having). Probably a better solenoid?

Pod

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #339 on: December 04, 2018, 03:58:41 pm »
Ah-ha! Turns out the auto fire issue is because of the auto reload functionality. I don't have a manual. Can someone explain how auto fire /program mode works?

It still struggles if you press the fire button too quickly but I seem to recall that was an issue when I had one as a kid. Something the namco arcade ones don't (or at least I don't recall them having). Probably a better solenoid?

Pod

Are you using this gun with an AimTrak or using it with a PS1?

I had a brand new one when I bought one so I have the original manual and power supply. I post what I can find out.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #340 on: December 04, 2018, 04:37:40 pm »
At the moment I'm running it in Ps1 mode via a Ps1 to USB converter plugged into a pc.
I wanted to check it all worked before I began converting it to use an aimtrak.

If yours is to hand can you see what happens if you try and pull the trigger as fast as possible. Perhaps using the old left hand grip with straight finger waggle made famous for point blank :)

Cheers

SlyBlueFox

• Offline Offline
« Reply #341 on: December 04, 2018, 07:59:40 pm »
At the moment I'm running it in Ps1 mode via a Ps1 to USB converter plugged into a pc.
I wanted to check it all worked before I began converting it to use an aimtrak.

If yours is to hand can you see what happens if you try and pull the trigger as fast as possible. Perhaps using the old left hand grip with straight finger waggle made famous for point blank :)

Cheers

Here is the power supply mine came with (US version):

Here are the instructions about the auto reload stuff:

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #342 on: December 05, 2018, 05:13:21 am »
Cool. Cheers for that. Shame there's no dedicated autofire.
I had figured program probably worked that way. Seems very Flakey though. I tried setting it to 6 shots and it does 2,pause (the offscreen shot I guess), 6, pause, 6. Not so bad but it restarts back on 2 on each trigger press.

FrenchGamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2019, 11:48:17 am
« Reply #343 on: December 22, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
I agree with argonlefou about the original power supply & the experience in general. The original power supply recoil is fine to me - its not bad but could be better. In general, I think that recoil is cool & makes for a "neater" experience. Now on to the guide.

There are a few options you can do for the gun assuming it is brand new & have not removed the chip yet in the gun as was the case previoulsy in this thread. If you have removed the chip, Option #2 is pretty much the same thing.

Option #1
Do not utilize the AimTrak recoil wire & use the RealArcade gun as is. You will retain the normal single fire option & be able to turn on the autofire as well. When you shoot off screen, the gun will recoil.

Option #2
Utilize the AimTrak recoil wire & use the RealArcade gun as is. You will retain the normal single fire option & the autofire will no longer work when switched on. When you shoot off screen, the gun will not recoil.

Option #3
Utilize the AimTrak recoil wire via switch & use the RealArcade gun as is. You will retain the normal single fire option & the autofire will work when switched on but only when the AimTrak recoil wire is disconnected. When you shoot off screen, the gun will not recoil only when AimTrak recoil wire is connected.

For all options, here are the steps I used (you can either directly solder to the switch mentioned or t-tap to the switch wire). All extra wire I used came from inside the old PS1 cord that was cut off. Gun needs to be in NorGun mode to function correctly. Disclaimer, you will most likely need to do some testing to the gun to confirm all wire colors I mention correlate. For the +5V & ground wires, go to here: PS1 Controller & confirm the pin 4 & 5 wire colors at the actual gun (open the old PS1 controller connector & follow thw colors to the gun). For the button wires, you will need to test which connection at each button is +5V & ground with a multimeter (the second gun I did was opposite wires of this gun). Read all following steps before doing anything.

1) Open up the gun

2) Disconnect all wire connectors from the main PS1 board that can be disconnected

3a) It is better space wise to cut the micro USB cable end off & solder the wires directly to the AimTrak board (similar to if you were to buy an AimTrak gun from Ultimarc).

3b) If you do not want to solder the wires, remove the black rubber casing from end of micro USB cable - this allows space for the switch board. Use a knife to split along the line on the side & gradually pull apart. Then remove the metal casing that houses the old CRT LED located on the switch board - start in the back since that part is not soldered then bend/cut to eventually remove it - just be careful not to damage anything.

4) Cut all wires where the PS1 cable connects to the board but leave the black & red wires as long as you can

5) Solder a wire between the PS1 red wire & AimTrak +5V

6 ) Solder a wire between the PS1 black wire & AimTrak ground

7) Solder/t-tap a wire between the PS1 trigger NO black wire & AimTrak trigger

8 ) Solder/t-tap a wire between the PS1 side button top yellow wire & AimTrak aux

9) Solder/t-tap a wire between the PS1 back button bottom yellow wire & AimTrak P1

10) Solder/t-tap a wire between the PS1 foot pedal green wire & AimTrak P2

11) Cut all plastic neccesary to fit AimTrak board & wires

12) Hot glue AimTrak board into place

13) Install IR filter (if you have one; I had one but was getting a better signal with it off so I removed mine)

Option #1
14) Close gun up & enjoy

Option #2
14) Solder a wire between the PS1 board point & AimTrak recoil - do not remove the chip as shown in the picture

15) Close gun up & enjoy

Option #3
14) Remove NorGun/GunCon switch legs from the board & try to utilize this switch. If you cannot, just desolder/remove the old switch totally & use a new switch (my NorGun/GunCon switch legs were brittle & broke off so I had to use a new switch - got mine from RadioShack)

15) Solder jumper wire between #1 & #2 where this switch used to be

16) Solder a wire between the PS1 board point & #2 on NorGun/GunCon switch/new switch

17) Solder a wire between #1 on NorGun/GunCon switch/new switch & AimTrak recoil

18) If using a new switch, attach new switch to board - you will need size #2 screws, lock washers, & nuts (HomeDepot). Drill out holes on switch to make big enough for screws. Drill out holes on board to make big enough for screws. Attach new switch to board but insulate with electrical tape otherwise it will ground out & not work at all (took a while to figure that one out). Example picture - board goes inbetween lock washers.

19) Close gun up & enjoy

I hope this helps. Also, here is the completed gun with Option #3.

Edit: Step numbering was off & added step clarifications
Edit2: Someone was asking about this so I went back & made a few grammatical changes to clarify a few things

Hello Everybody, Hello SlyBlueFox!

First, Sorry for my english, it's not my native language  :).

Thank you so much for your tutorial and your videos in Youtube, I would like exactly the same Gun for my PC/TV (option 3)! :cry:

I hope you can help me to make my dream real!

I have some questions please:

1) I have a Super Jolt Gun (boxed. So with pedal etc), but what I have to buy in Ultimarc website? Just this I think, wright?

http://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak_module.html

2) I need something else? (apart from the soldering iron of course  :D). Please can you detailed what I need:

a)Super Jolt Gun
b)aimtrak modul (?)
c) power supply (?)

etc...

I read very slowly your tutorial, I hope to succeed!

Thank you!

FrenchGamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #344 on: December 25, 2018, 09:41:34 am »
Hello! Nobody can help me  :-[?

Titchgamer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 17, 2023, 08:05:48 am
  • I have a gaming addiction.....
« Reply #345 on: December 25, 2018, 06:44:46 pm »

You will need the kit that you linked to (the camera module, sensor bar and trigger buttons)

You will not need a PSU unless you want to have recoil, If you want recoil you will need the recoil solenoid and a PSU.

As for installing it in your gun I have no idea sorry.

FrenchGamer

• Offline Offline
« Reply #346 on: December 26, 2018, 04:38:06 am »

You will need the kit that you linked to (the camera module, sensor bar and trigger buttons)

You will not need a PSU unless you want to have recoil, If you want recoil you will need the recoil solenoid and a PSU.

Thanks you, but I think I Can use the solenoid and the PSU of my Jolt Gun and not buy another? That I understood  :-\

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #347 on: December 27, 2018, 03:57:46 pm »

Thanks you, but I think I Can use the solenoid and the PSU of my Jolt Gun and not buy another? That I understood  :-\

Yeah that's right. I just did this last night with my jolt gun using the instructions on page 8 of this thread.
I'll do a proper write up in a day or so but some points of note.

I used option 1 and took route 3b. It took me 4 hours with 2 of us.
There was more plastic cutting than I expected but we managed to cut it to hold the board without the need for glue!
Everything is a really tight fit!
The soldering on the board is very tiny. you'll want some experience and a steady hand.
My PS1 cable colours didn't match any of the other people in this thread but the positions of the +ve and Ground wires was the same on the PS board.

Pod

P.s Cheers to everyone in this thread!

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #348 on: January 01, 2019, 05:18:42 pm »
Hey everyone,

Further update. So I wasnt able to test the gun until today.
The back button is wired the wrong way so its registering as always held. I soldered the bottom (nearest the butt of the handle) wire as per the instructions but On mine it must be the top one. No biggie. I can redo that.

The foot pedal input isn't working though. At this point I dont know if I made a mistake in connecting it to the board (unlikely, it was a pretty nice joint), used the wrong wire (I used the green wire but see point above), a hardware issue (maybe the gun's port/pedal is faulty) or its software at fault. I say the latter because in the ultimarc aimtrak config utility the gun is showing only 3 buttons (trig, side and back). I did get it to show them all at one point with the proper names (trig, aux, p1 etc) but now I cant replicate.

Anyone able to shed light on the software issue?

Cheers

Pod

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: January 02, 2019, 09:10:23 am »
Ah ha!

Andy has informed me I need specific firmware to use p2-5. So problem identified and hopefully fix incoming when he's able to send it over

Zebra

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2021, 01:12:24 pm
« Reply #350 on: January 02, 2019, 07:23:29 pm »
For the people here who own jolt guns, please can you tell me what size power supply came with it?

I think mine might have come with a non-original psu. It is 12v 14.4a which seems to be too much for the purpose. I.e. It kicks too hard.

Also, has anyone here managed to fix the accuracy issues when using them with a PS1  or PS2? The real Namco guns are super accurate. These jolt guns have the teleporting crosshairs found on every single 3rd party home light gun ever made.

BTW, I got an Aimforce dongle last week. It you plan to use an Aimtrak, they solve some of the issues people described here as they allow you to set up the type of recoil needed on a game by game basis. It sucks that they only work with Aimtrak guns though.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: January 03, 2019, 02:24:09 am »
Is 12v 1.2a but the gun should only take as many amps as it needs so if its too strong then your solenoid is just a powerful one.
Given you've got a custom supply maybe someone's replaced the solenoid? How powerful is it exactly? Post a video perhaps?

Pod

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #352 on: January 03, 2019, 07:17:16 pm »
Is 12v 1.2a but the gun should only take as many amps as it needs so if its too strong then your solenoid is just a powerful one.
Given you've got a custom supply maybe someone's replaced the solenoid? How powerful is it exactly? Post a video perhaps?

Pod

The extra amps definately increase the power of a solenoid. When I tested it with a 12v 2a PSU, the recoil was very weak.

I am no expert on electronics but my understanding is that the stated voltage on solenoids is nominal and power  or speed is increased or decreased by varying volts and amps. Come to think of it, that is the same as most electric motors unless you add a drive to control current.

I have come to realize that there is such a thing as too much recoil. I have been testing an Aimforce dongle with my Aimtrak and the noise is horrific when the recoil is set too high. The solenoid was cracking bits of plastic off the gun shell too.

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2019, 09:02:33 pm »
Is anyone here using the jolt gun as is for PS1 or PS2 games?

The main issue I am facing with this gun is poor accuracy compared to real Namco guns. These jolt guns have teleporting crosshairs like every other 3rd party light gun. Does anyone know what makes the Namco guns more accurate and can these jolt guns accuracy be fixed?

I was going to try replacing the sensor with one I have from a real time crisis arcade gun but the jolt gun uses 2 legs for the sensor while Namco guns use 3 leg sensors.

The Namco sensor pins are signal, 3.3v and ground. I assume the two legs on the jolt gun are 3.3v and sensor with no ground. Is this right? And, if so, could this be the reason for the unstable crosshairs? If I wanted to replace the jolt sensor with the 3-leg Namco sensor, where would I connect the 3rd(ground) leg on the jolt gun PCB?

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: January 09, 2019, 06:05:42 pm »

Pod

The extra amps definately increase the power of a solenoid. When I tested it with a 12v 2a PSU, the recoil was very weak.

I am no expert on electronics but my understanding is that the stated voltage on solenoids is nominal and power  or speed is increased or decreased by varying volts and amps. Come to think of it, that is the same as most electric motors unless you add a drive to control current.

I have come to realize that there is such a thing as too much recoil. I have been testing an Aimforce dongle with my Aimtrak and the noise is horrific when the recoil is set too high. The solenoid was cracking bits of plastic off the gun shell too.

Interesting, I've only just been able to give my gun a good test and I've found the same thing using the stock power (12v 1.2a).it's so weak. It can hardly do a full recoil.
Now I owned one of these as a kid and I don't recall it being that bad so I'm assuming that's down to its age. Both gun and supply are 20 years old. So one or both of the solenoid or supply might be knackered.
Using a 24v 1.8a supply did improve things but it still occasionally misfires. I'd be interested in knowing if it'd be better using a stronger supply or if I'd risk harming it.

I see some other people just replaced theirs with a 36v solenoid that's the same as found in the aimtrack guns. So that might be an option. Last resort I guess.

Anyone able to give some advice on this?

Pod

P. S I had a guncon and a real arcade back in the day. I found both to be as accurate as each other as far as I can remember.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #355 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:11 am »
Oh dear.

So a word of warning. 24v 1.8a is to much for the stock real arcade gun solenoid. Had a cracking 30mins with decent recoil only for it to lock on. Disconnect and reconnect instantly locked it on again and I could smell burning.
Left it unplugged for 5 mins. First trigger press locked it back on. Left it unplugged for 15 mins and now it's not working at all.

Bugger.

So now I really do need recommendations on a replacement.
Who here replaced theirs and where did you get it from etc? I should just be able to simply wire it the same way right (via the Ps1 control board)?

Cheers

Pod

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #356 on: January 10, 2019, 11:17:33 am »
Solenoids usually have a nominal rated voltage which means you can vary the volts and amps a little but it's not a good idea to use a 24v or 36v PSU with a 12v solenoid...

The solenoid used in Aimtrak recoil guns can not be used for full auto. I tried it with an Aimforce dongle and it didn't last one game before melting.

You can buy replacement solenoids for Terminator Salvation arcade guns for a little over $30. They are 12v and ideal for this purpose.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #357 on: January 10, 2019, 12:02:09 pm »
Id seen others say that they'd run the RAG with 24v but I guess probably with less current. Of course it's possible I fried something on the Ps1 board instead and the solenoid might still be ok. So I'll probably just replace the lot with ultimarcs to be safe. It's only £25 Inc shipping and it shouldn't take too much to fit as at least one person on a previous page had done it. (bonus is I can adjust the strength via the config app)

out of curiosity. Did you properly melt the ultimarc one you tried to use in autofire mode? Andy told me it has a thermal cutout to protect it so people who try to use it on autofire would find it cut out until it cooled down!

Pod

P.s did you try a terminator solenoid in a RAG then? How's it feel?

Zebra

• Offline Offline
« Reply #358 on: January 10, 2019, 01:41:08 pm »
Id seen others say that they'd run the RAG with 24v but I guess probably with less current. Of course it's possible I fried something on the Ps1 board instead and the solenoid might still be ok. So I'll probably just replace the lot with ultimarcs to be safe. It's only £25 Inc shipping and it shouldn't take too much to fit as at least one person on a previous page had done it. (bonus is I can adjust the strength via the config app)

out of curiosity. Did you properly melt the ultimarc one you tried to use in autofire mode? Andy told me it has a thermal cutout to protect it so people who try to use it on autofire would find it cut out until it cooled down!

Pod

P.s did you try a terminator solenoid in a RAG then? How's it feel?

Do not put the Ultimarc solenoid in that gun. They absolutely can not survive full auto recoil. They are very low quality.

I haven't tried the Terminator Salvation solenoid in my RAG. I have felt the recoil with them on the Terminator Salvation arcade though and it handles full auto well.

I have decided to go a different route for my mame guns. I just took delivery of some arcade guns from LA Machine guns. They deliver full auto recoil with a gear motor. It's far less problematic than trying to get reliable full auto recoil with a solenoid.

The constant on off switching with solenoids seems to destroy mosfets, relays and even the connecting wires very quickly. If you can't invest in high quality components, it's not worth investing at all.

Podbod

• Offline Offline
« Reply #359 on: January 10, 2019, 01:49:19 pm »
But I'm not planning on hooking up full auto. I never even used the built in RAG auto fire because of the wierd reload stuff it comes with.
Unless you're saying don't use the ultimarc solenoid because the RAG would tear itself apart under the stress?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 01:51:28 pm by Podbod »