Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: U-HID Nano vs Mini-PAC 'inputs'?  (Read 1436 times)

sdrob04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:12:50 pm
U-HID Nano vs Mini-PAC 'inputs'?
« on: February 14, 2021, 03:29:37 pm »
Just hoping for some clarity on the U-HID Nano, which is said to have "8 inputs/outputs".  In real-world terms, does this mean one would get a 4/8 way joystick + 4 additional buttons, and that's it?  If so, I'm curious to know how are people using the Nano.  I'm working on a bartop build which will likely have at least 7 or 8 'play' inputs (joystick + 3-4 buttons) and hopefully a few admin buttons, and wanted to ensure that choosing the Mini-Pac made the most sense.   

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 07:39:08 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: U-HID Nano vs Mini-PAC 'inputs'?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 04:49:28 pm »
Just hoping for some clarity on the U-HID Nano, which is said to have "8 inputs/outputs".  In real-world terms, does this mean one would get a 4/8 way joystick + 4 additional buttons, and that's it?
That would use all eight of the available inputs.
- Ground for those eight switches is provided by the other pin.

If so, I'm curious to know how are people using the Nano.
One common use is as an analog (potentiometer) encoder for 270 degree steering wheels and analog pedals.

I'm working on a bartop build which will likely have at least 7 or 8 'play' inputs (joystick + 3-4 buttons) and hopefully a few admin buttons, and wanted to ensure that choosing the Mini-Pac made the most sense.
There are a variety of encoders that would work for that no-spinner, no-trackball setup.

The most sensible choice depends on your ability to strip wires, crimp Quick Disconnects (QDs), solder, and load a firmware on an Arduino.

"I can't do any of those things." -- MiniPac (regular, not opti) if you want a keyboard/gamepad/mouse button hybrid encoder or a "Zero Delay" encoder if you want a far less expensive gamepad-only encoder.

"I can strip wires and crimp QDs." -- IPac2, KeyWiz, etc.

"I can strip wires, crimp QDs, and solder." -- KeyWiz40-Eco or GP-Wiz40 ECO.

"I can do (or learn) all of those things." -- A very inexpensive Arduino Pro Micro running a keyboard or gamepad encoder firmware.

Scott

sdrob04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:12:50 pm
Re: U-HID Nano vs Mini-PAC 'inputs'?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 02:12:50 pm »
Great summary and you provided a few options I was unaware of.  Thanks, PL! :)